Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > New, Looking For Suggestions Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Nicholas Boyd

PostPosted: Tue 13 Jan, 2009 4:48 pm    Post subject: New, Looking For Suggestions         Reply with quote

Well after looking around and dreaming for many years, I have decided I would like to get into the hobby of collecting. I was wondering if one could give me some suggestions on what to start with. First, a little about me. I am looking for something that is "functional" per se but doesn't have to be the best, It will mostly be for display, with occasional test cutting (no re-enactors where I live). My Favourite Period is post Renaissance and I like Sabers and Cutlass/Hanger Most. My budget Is rather low (<$250), as I don't want to spend to much starting out considering I could end up destroying it.... While searching I came across one that I found Particularily interesting One Was the CAS Civil War Trooper's Sword, I have some idea what to expect (its a very low price range, though it is a least carbon steel with one piece blade and rat tail) but I can afford it rather easily. But I was wondering if anyone had any thoughts on this sword in particular, (or the company). I could spring for the Cold Steel 1860 Heavy Sabre, but It costs significantly more (could be worth it...) If you think either would be appropriate could you give me some suggestions, or possible others I may be interested in.

p.s If it is okay I was wondering If a rat tail could be any good to withstand blows, as it is thin but solid forged, instead of welded.
Gavin Kisebach

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Tue 13 Jan, 2009 5:01 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hello Nicholas,

The first thing I would suggest is that you check out the Features section:

http://www.myArmoury.com/features.html

For some reason a lot of people go straight to the forums and miss this all important step. Read articles until your eyeballs fall out, then put them back in and read more. Print them out and read them in the bathroom.

There are some really helpful people in the forums, but you will find that you ask smarter, more productive questions if you educate yourself ahead of time. Most of us bought cheap junky weapons when we started collecting, and while some of those peices have sentimental value (like my $50 wakazashis) they aren't very useful and have no value to anyone but me. Buyer's remorse is a terrible thing when you drop hundreds of dollars on a sword. If you want to get a good idea of what to look at in a replica, check out the Reviews page:

http://www.myArmoury.com/reviews.html

It's also helpful to get a general idea of what kind of weapons you like and can afford to collect. I like polearms because swords are expensive. I can buy at least a half dozen extremely nice axes, maces, and spears for the cost of one very nice sword.

Hope that helps.

There are only two kinds of scholars; those who love ideas and those who hate them. ~ Emile Chartier

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > New, Looking For Suggestions
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic