Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Custom Type XVI finished! Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Gordon Clark

Reading list: 1 book

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Sun 02 May, 2004 9:09 am    Post subject: Custom Type XVI finished!         Reply with quote

My new sword from Jason Dingledine arrived Friday afternoon. I'll get some stats on it soon, but here are a few pictures!

Attachment: 68.29 KB
[ Download ]

Attachment: 41.87 KB
[ Download ]

Attachment: 47.92 KB
[ Download ]

Attachment: 35.6 KB
[ Download ]
Robert Zamoida

Reading list: 3 books

PostPosted: Sun 02 May, 2004 9:39 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Congrats on a beautiful piece! Jason did an awesome job; I'm so jealous! Razz Laughing Out Loud
Rob Zamoida
"When your life is on the line, you want to make use of all your tools. No warrior should be willing to die with his swords at his sides, without having made use of his tools."
-Miyamoto Mushashi, Gorin no Sho
Gordon Clark

PostPosted: Sun 02 May, 2004 9:42 am    Post subject: Stats         Reply with quote

Blade length: 30.25 inches
Weight: 2.5 lbs
COB: 4.75 inches
Width: 2.2 inches at base

(blade length taken from the outside of the guard, COB from the inside - i.e. grip side of the guard).

Fittings are blackened, grip is leather over small cord with large cord "risers" and is done in the "Albion campaign worn" style.

The sword is hand forged by Jason Dingledine of W1 steel. It feels both light yet authoritative in the hand. Cuts wonderfully against water filled milk jugs - not sure I'll ever try it against anything "hard".

Jason went through a lot to get this thing done (this is the 3rd iteration of the blade) - but he stuck with it to get me the best sword he could. I'm not sure the understated excellence of this piece comes through in the pictures, it really is a "you gotta hold it" sword.

Gordon
Gordon Clark

PostPosted: Sun 02 May, 2004 9:45 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Robert Zamoida wrote:
Congrats on a beautiful piece! Jason did an awesome job; I'm so jealous! Razz Laughing Out Loud

Thanks! You should be Happy

It just moves really well through the air - I'm not enough of a swordsman to really appreciate it, I'm sure.
Ryan A. C.

Reading list: 5 books

PostPosted: Sun 02 May, 2004 11:41 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thanks for the pics of that fine sword of yours. Jason did some awesome work.
Dan Tucker

PostPosted: Sun 02 May, 2004 4:34 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Wow! real purty sword there!
Joe Fults

PostPosted: Sun 02 May, 2004 6:33 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Great looking blade.

Is Albion going to post some pics of it too?

"The goal shouldn’t be to avoid being evil; it should be to actively do good." - Danah Boyd
Gordon Clark

PostPosted: Mon 03 May, 2004 5:06 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Joe Fults wrote:
Great looking blade.

Hope so.
Jason - did you get any pictures of it finished or were you rushing to get it out the door so I would quit bugging you?

If not, I can always post more, I just don't have the trick of reducing the image size while keeping any image quality.

Gordon
Steve Fabert

PostPosted: Mon 03 May, 2004 5:55 am    Post subject: Re: Stats         Reply with quote

Gordon Clark wrote:

(blade length taken from the outside of the guard, COB from the inside - i.e. grip side of the guard).

Looks like the blade is a slightly shortened version of the Squire/Prince NextGen blade. That would appear to put its overall length in the range of 36 - 37 inches?
Jason Dingledine

PostPosted: Mon 03 May, 2004 10:50 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Gordon Clark wrote:
Joe Fults wrote:
Great looking blade.

Hope so.
Jason - did you get any pictures of it finished or were you rushing to get it out the door so I would quit bugging you?

If not, I can always post more, I just don't have the trick of reducing the image size while keeping any image quality.

Gordon

Sadly enough, I didn't get any pics of the completed sword before it shipped. I was anxious to get it out to you Gordon, but not because you were bugging me (which you weren't btw). I'm extremely pleased that you like it.

As to being a shorter version of the Prince/Squire, yep the blades are very similar. Peter had given me some insights after getting a brief glance (though he didn't have time to document it) at the original this sword was based off of. Everything on this sword blade is +/- 2" shorter than the Albion Mark blade, this includes the fuller, although the hilt is only slightly shorter by 3/4" or so. The fuller shape as it blends off is also shaped quite a bit differently than the production sword.

Again, I'm glad you are happy Gordon.

Jason Dingledine
Gordon Clark

PostPosted: Mon 03 May, 2004 5:59 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Yes, I likes it very much!

The fuller blending into the blade is very nicley done, as is the point section. The blade has a wicked point, but keeps a lot of its distal dimension as the width narrows to give the point support I assume.

Here are a couple more shots - they are larger, but hopefully better quality.

Jason Dingledine wrote:

Sadly enough, I didn't get any pics of the completed sword before it shipped. I was anxious to get it out to you Gordon, but not because you were bugging me (which you weren't btw). I'm extremely pleased that you like it.

As to being a shorter version of the Prince/Squire, yep the blades are very similar. Peter had given me some insights after getting a brief glance (though he didn't have time to document it) at the original this sword was based off of. Everything on this sword blade is +/- 2" shorter than the Albion Mark blade, this includes the fuller, although the hilt is only slightly shorter by 3/4" or so. The fuller shape as it blends off is also shaped quite a bit differently than the production sword.

Again, I'm glad you are happy Gordon.

Attachment: 59.35 KB
[ Download ]

Attachment: 118.51 KB
[ Download ]
Gordon Clark

PostPosted: Mon 03 May, 2004 6:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Stats         Reply with quote

Steve Fabert wrote:
Gordon Clark wrote:

Looks like the blade is a slightly shortened version of the Squire/Prince NextGen blade. That would appear to put its overall length in the range of 36 - 37 inches?

Yes - OL 36.5 about.

It is a bit of a little brother (in size) , I think to those blades, but rather different as well.
This one is forged by Jason and based on a sword in Records of the Medieval Sword.
Resemblance to the Next Gens is (I'm assuming here, Jason) mostly because they are of the same "type".
Other than the forging, the construction is similar to the production swords, with the hilt put together in the same manner, I think.
(But the peened end is ground flat before the pommel was blackened.)

Gordon
Steve Fabert

PostPosted: Mon 03 May, 2004 6:48 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I would have to see this sword alongside the Prince or Squire to decide whether it would qualify as a little brother, or just a slightly stockier sword of the same type. The Prince is almost exactly a meter long, while yours is a bit over a yard - only three inches difference, without any reduction in weight or cross width. I think the slightly shorter blade length was more popular, at least in earlier years, whatever the blade type.

I am partial to this blade shape. It's good to see another Type XVI because there are so few remaining originals. It looks like Jason has done excellent work on this one.

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Custom Type XVI finished!
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic