Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Cavalry charges, help! Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next 
Zac Evans

PostPosted: Thu 03 Nov, 2011 4:16 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

If I can just throw in some information here. This past year I took part in a re-enactment of the battle of Bosworth, with the group Destrier, acting as bodyguard of King Richard. This involved doing one of the most fun things I've ever done, which is charging across Bosworth field on a horse in full harness, and delivering a lance upon a shield.

We rode our horses at a collected canter for about 20-30 meters, and delivered balsa tipped lances against pavises held by infantry. The first day I struck the pavise at an angle close to 90 degrees. Although fully braced, and only using a balsa tip the lance was ripped out of my hand and threw the foot soldier onto their back. My companion pulled his shot, breaking the lance but not throwing the soldier.

On day two, I struck at an acute angle, which broke the lance, but the force of the charge was not transferred fully to the soldier. My companion struck true, shattering his lance, throwing the soldier off their feet and breaking the pavise. This was also at a (fast) collected canter.

I believe if we had used sharp hardwood lances, the pavises and armour would have been no protection at all. I think this shows how powerful a lance strike can be, and why cavalry were feared by infantry when they were in loose formation.

The way I see it, both in the large scheme of battle, and the minutae of a lance charge, the main job of cavalry is to apply overwhelming force to a single point. Their speed allows them to do this effectively, but once they loose that advantage, they suddenly become expensive, easily outnumbered foot troops.

Picture courtesy of Pat Patrick. This is the press after the initial charge. I am on the far left.
Randall Moffett

Reading list: 5 books

PostPosted: Thu 03 Nov, 2011 4:25 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Gary,

Regarding pikemen.... yep. Seems to be largely why they were developed. Halbards and the likes worked fine for infantry it was cavalry that for which these beasts really came into there own. That said there are dozens, scores perhaps even hundreds of frontal charges against infantry that succeed for one reason or another, though not often again pikemen largely. It was such a valid option throughout the HYW we see it often come up in execution or planning as a possible tactic. Since pikes were really not a major factor in most armies of medieval Europe till the 2nd half of the 15th I do not think it should be a crucial part of success of the cavalry charge against infantry. Of course going back to my earlier statement, we see infantry armed with all sorts of arms that withstand cavalry at times for whatever reason.

With the Falkirk example we have to be careful as the archers surely help cut the Shiltron's down but the various other issues facing them must have had a huge detriment to Scottish moral.

Len,

Neat link BTW. Cliff Rogers gave a very interesting lecture on successful cavalry charges back in York 2006 and as those who know Cliff he included more references than I could write down. From what I can find it still is not published sadly.

RPM
Bjorn Hagstrom

Reading list: 8 books

PostPosted: Fri 04 Nov, 2011 1:03 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Zac Evans wrote:

The way I see it, both in the large scheme of battle, and the minutae of a lance charge, the main job of cavalry is to apply overwhelming force to a single point. Their speed allows them to do this effectively, but once they loose that advantage, they suddenly become expensive, easily outnumbered foot troops.

Picture courtesy of Pat Patrick. This is the press after the initial charge. I am on the far left.

Great post, lovley picture!
I would just like to add to the above stated, that a factor that has been a little overlooked (at least in the later part of the thread that I have followed) is the speed and mobility. The prescence of a unit of cavalry gives the commander a lot of tactical options, since it can outpace infantry, sent to block lines of advancement, be quickly dispatched to protect ones own flank, and that without even having to actually commit to a charge.

Fake charges to test the resolve of the opponents morale would likley also be made,

As for at what pace the charge is made? I do not know if you agree Zac, but I would suspect that even with a lot of training, and ugly sharp bits, there is only so much control the rider will have when a large body of horses start to move fast in one direction..I guess that an ordered trot or canter to get all noses and lance-tips pointing in the right direction, and trying to keep ordered paced for as long as possible, then when the first horse takes away at full charge the rest will likley follow..

I was riding a Hubertusjagd (cross-country type race for amateurs) the other week with 60-odd riders and the energy levels with that many horses together and open streches of land was just amazing. Especially interesting for this topic was that at the finishing stretch, the field was divided into one group that was actually racing and the rest of us that did not fell we or the horses where safe enough at that point was left behind, even from a safe 4-500 meter distance, when the racing group took off it was hard work keeping the horses under control, they where very very eager to join! My ordinarily well behaved old lady of a pony was basically jumping up and down on the spot!

Keeping a large unit of cavalry under control must have been hard on the medieval battle-field. Especially in feudal settings when the horses and riders proabably did not know each other that well.

There is nothing quite as sad as a one man conga-line...
Joakim Løvgren

PostPosted: Fri 04 Nov, 2011 3:19 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Quote:
Or it could be that horses simply look better when they are painted like that as opposed to a trot. I'm not saying it doesn't mean they weren't at a full gallop but I don't think we can be for sure.

When you are using such an argument, you can also say that we can't rely on illustrations of medieval clothes, as sources, because the painter could have painted it, just because it looked good. But that is not the case, and a lot of reenactors uses illustrations as a source for their clothing, and I don't see any problem in that. So my point is, that the artist had an visual refference frame, which he probably wasn't aware of, and since almost every lance charge is depicted this way, I'm quite certain that this was how it looked. I will however agree that the lance charge wasn't delivered at a long distance, but I'm sure that they rode their horses close to the infantry line, so they didn't break formation, then they sad their horses in a levade, and let them jump forward in the carrière, within a distance of 10 meters maximum, because then the lance attack would be delivered properly. I will also agree with you that these knights didn't just fight for glory, and rode their horses headless into battle, but we must stille remember that they had a very different discourse then we do, and they didn't experience war as the same way we nowadays experience it. To them war was gloryfied, and beautyful, which meant that they would do things that we might consider stupid, but they considered honourable. For example at Agincourt, where the french nobility rode into certain death, because it would be odd if they didn't see those arrows coming, as at Poiters and Crecy. And these stories about these battles the french was aware of, because they could use it to state that the english didn't fight as real knights, as they did themselves - but they wanted to show the english how it was supposed to be done.

Quote:
Keeping a large unit of cavalry under control must have been hard on the medieval battle-field. Especially in feudal settings when the horses and riders proabably did not know each other that well.

Again I really don't think we should use our own experiences with our horses, to make examples in this matter, because by doing so, we consider ourselves as as good horsemen, and horse trainers, as they were in the medieval period. We do not use the same amount of time with our horses as they did, and an uncontrollable horse doesn't mean that we are in the danger of dying in battle, the same way as it did to medieval knights. Knights needed to have their horses under control, or else the horse might make more damages to companions, than to the enemy. Therefore my point is that we will never be as good horsemen as they were then, and therefore we can't use our own experiences to compare in this matter.

However I do have a horse of my own, a 3 years old spanish stallion, who is capable of doing almost anything, as long as I tell him to do it, because he feels safe when I'm expecting something of him, and because he knows that I'm his master, and I decide wether or not he is supposed to be exited, even if mares come around. My point with this is not, as I wrote earlier, to show by my own experience, that it is possible to make your horse do what you tell them to do, because, as I've stated already, we consider ourselves as as good horsemen as medieval ones. My point is that I've seen in medieval manuscripts, and read in Bem Cavalgar what war horses was supposed the be able to, and then asked myself: "How can I make this possible?" Instead of thinking "This is not possible - not in the way I know horses". It is a total different angle, and when working with this subject, you should always ask yourself "How do I make this possible" - Those who wrote this, or depicted it, wasn't going to make fun of us many hundred years after their death, I'm sure they wrote it for a reason.
Luka Borscak

PostPosted: Fri 04 Nov, 2011 5:23 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

[quote="Joakim Løvgren"]
Quote:

For example at Agincourt, where the french nobility rode into certain death, because it would be odd if they didn't see those arrows coming, as at Poiters and Crecy. And these stories about these battles the french was aware of, because they could use it to state that the english didn't fight as real knights, as they did themselves - but they wanted to show the english how it was supposed to be done.

I think French at Agincourt and Crecy thought they were riding to certain victory, not certain death. No one, not even knights, wants to ride to certain death, when other options exist. Throwing yourself into death when there are other tactics possible would be considered stupid, not noble or brave. At Poitiers they went to battle on foot so if in 1356 they didn't think it was dishonorable why would they think that in 1415? They were just to sure in their abilities and numbers, they didn't want to die rather then win. They knew plate would protect them well enough from arrows, they didn't expect other tactical problems they encountered during these battles, arrows wouldn't defeat them without these other problems (mud, stakes, unexpected pushing from behind, unexpectedly strong resistance form English dismounted men at arms and archers... Wink ).
Randall Moffett

PostPosted: Fri 04 Nov, 2011 6:00 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Luka,

I think you are right. The French plan was likely created by one of the best tacticians the French had available. He certainly would not have sent them to certain death, especially if it were without purpose. Seemingly the small numbers of men who joined (perhaps because fighting the archers was not glamorous) and then the use of pikes, which Gesta Henrici indicates is a relatively new thing for the English spelled doom. That said it may be that the small cavalry forces did feel they would fail as they had to know that the bulk of their numbers were no shows.

Anne Curry's new book on Agincourt has some good ideas about this for those interested.

RPM
Brian Robson

PostPosted: Fri 04 Nov, 2011 6:38 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Any thoughts to relating to the likelyhood of the infantry simply running away?

I'm thinking in terms of those periods where heavy cavalry really was the supreme force (ie 13c - before the start of the decline with Stirling, Courtrai etc.). I know that the infantry weapons used are often heralded as a big deciding factor here - but what happened before then?
Is it reasonable to assume that most professional/disciplined/experienced troops of the time would have been mounted - leaving the bulk of the infantry as badly-equipped first-timers?

If you bear that in mind and look at any modern footage of riots etc. you often see the police lines doing either full or feigned charges. In almost every instance, the crowd runs away. Doesn't matter if the crowd are violent, throwing bricks with their adrenaline up and mates next to them. they run.
To me, it doesn't seem too difficult to imagine what a line of poor-quality troops would do vs charging heavy cavalry. I'd imagine that in most cases the line broke before the cavalry got there, and the first 'hit' would happen while chasing down routing troops.

I just wonder if it's the simple act of infantry fleeing that makes cavalry charges succeed, but standing together and holding their ground is the main factor that makes it fail? Psychological warfare.
Rusty Thomas

PostPosted: Fri 04 Nov, 2011 4:19 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Joakim Løvgren wrote:
Quote:
Or it could be that horses simply look better when they are painted like that as opposed to a trot. I'm not saying it doesn't mean they weren't at a full gallop but I don't think we can be for sure.

When you are using such an argument, you can also say that we can't rely on illustrations of medieval clothes, as sources, because the painter could have painted it, just because it looked good. But that is not the case, and a lot of re-enactors uses illustrations as a source for their clothing, and I don't see any problem in that. So my point is, that the artist had an visual refference frame, which he probably wasn't aware of, and since almost every lance charge is depicted this way, I'm quite certain that this was how it looked.

Joakim, you misunderstand what I was saying. I wasn't saying that we should discredit all period art work. But that we should look at it with an objective eye. Some of the things depicted in period artwork are impossible or wrong or made by people that were never there. Some of it is created only to tell a story or highlight a moment or even for political reasons. Now as far as clothing goes can the art work give us a "general idea" about what those people wore? Yes. Can they tell us "exactly" what they wore. No. They don't show materials, seams, patterns, thread count, thickness of material, are the garments sewn together with flax, or linen, or wool thread etc. For this we need actual garments from the time period. Period artwork is an amazing tool that has given us a wealth of information about these fascinating time-periods. But they shouldn't be used as an end all be all source of information especially when dealing with tactics and "objects in motion" Heck people can't even agree on the exact movements depicted in fencing manuals from the time period and these are made to teach those movements Eek! Big Grin

“The trouble with quotes on the internet is that you can never be certain if they are genuine or not”
--Abraham Lincoln
Gary Teuscher

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Sat 05 Nov, 2011 10:14 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Quote:
Joakim, you misunderstand what I was saying. I wasn't saying that we should discredit all period art work. But that we should look at it with an objective eye.

Exaclty. As an example, one of the misconceptions that was around about mail for a while (and still is with some Big Grin ) was the thought that different forms of mail were being illustrated, when it actuality it had to do with the artisit's method of rperesenting the mail as opposed to any real differences in the mail itself.
Gary Teuscher

PostPosted: Sat 05 Nov, 2011 10:41 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Forgot to say, interesting info on the Templars, Len!

Quote:
To me, it doesn't seem too difficult to imagine what a line of poor-quality troops would do vs charging heavy cavalry. I'd imagine that in most cases the line broke before the cavalry got there, and the first 'hit' would happen while chasing down routing troops.

I just wonder if it's the simple act of infantry fleeing that makes cavalry charges succeed, but standing together and holding their ground is the main factor that makes it fail? Psychological warfare.

Absolutely, Brian.

That's why I think and may have said before I look at cavalry charges as a game of "chicken", i.e. first side that flinches loses.

There are a lot of factors that influence this - The confidence, determination, ability or experience of the opposing forces - and I think the "morale" or determination/conficence is the most important factor here.

The armour of the opposing forces has a bearing - partially to reduce casualties in the initial clash, though armour helps little if trampled by a horse, but more importantly it would give men a confidence of the ability to withstand the opposition.

Terrain - going uphill of course hurts cavalry, as well as any uneven ground, ditches, or even prepared areas as the English often used in the hundred years war.

Weapons do have a bearing - against pikes or even long spears a charge can be suicidal for the cavalry, that is IF the infantry stands their ground. I think deeper formation help with this standing their ground idea.

I think one issue illustrated well by the Templar info Len had was that the idea was to hit the enemy as a sigle unit, I.E. in formation. Missile fire can effect the formation. You may not injure many of the riders, and may not even kill a ton of horses, but just injuring a small percentage of horses in the front can wreak havoc on the formation with other horses stumbling or shying at the last second, and cause it not to strike as one unit.

Of course, this all holds true a bit for the infantry as well, though they are less effected as they are usually not charging.

Getting the infantry to advance to contact aginst cavalry is the tough part. Being able to do so and maintain formation for the infantry, i.e. to strike as one unit is an issue. And bad terrain also makes this harder on the infantry.

I think that is one reason some, particularily early feudal infantry was more of a "static" defense - they either fortified the area in front of them, or just did not advance. The Scottish Schiltrons seemed to have this problem to an extent, though there were examples of them baing able to advance in formation.

I am not sure if it is the unwieldiness of the pikes that cause this problem, or if it's just that non-pike units can still be somewhat effective if not in great formation, but pikes need to be in proper formation to be effective.

But I think when more professional infantry were used in the late middle ages, they were far more effective when using pikes.

I think quality infantry, if similar to the quality of the cavalry, are usually capable of holding line and not breaking. However with the emphasis on cavalry in the middle ages, Infantry were usually of lesser calibre, either armed/armoured worse or just less "motivated", confident, etc. etc.

But if you look to Hastings, Saxon infantry which was of not great quality other than the Huscarls which probably formed the first few ranks held up very well against Norman cavalry.

If it not for the feigned (or unfeigned Big Grin , it's debateable if this was by intent or not) flight of norman cavalry, whcih broke the ranks as some saxons went in pursuit, I believe the Saxon shield wall would have help and the Saxons would have won the day. Of course this also illustrated an advantage of cavalry, mobility, to be able to withdraw an then re-engage on their own terms,
Lafayette C Curtis

Reading list: 7 books

PostPosted: Fri 11 Nov, 2011 8:21 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Brian Robson wrote:

More likely the infantry buggered off when they saw the cavalry on their own side (especially the men-at-arms) breaking and routing under pressure from their hostile counterparts. They (the infantry) normally wouldn't have been the primary target themselves--not until the most serious threat (i.e. their side's men-at-arms) had been neutralised!
Brian Robson

PostPosted: Fri 11 Nov, 2011 8:39 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Lafayette C Curtis wrote:

More likely the infantry buggered off when they saw the cavalry on their own side (especially the men-at-arms) breaking and routing under pressure from their hostile counterparts. They (the infantry) normally wouldn't have been the primary target themselves--not until the most serious threat (i.e. their side's men-at-arms) had been neutralised!

Good point! I can imagine having just seen your best get creamed, you wouldn't want to wait around to be next in line...
Gary Teuscher

PostPosted: Fri 11 Nov, 2011 10:23 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Quote:

Quote:
Good point! I can imagine having just seen your best get creamed, you wouldn't want to wait around to be next in line...

Communication and sight on the battlefield would be chaotic at best.

The cavalry were often on the wings, and the main battle line of infantry would likley close for combat before their cavalry had either been routed or whether or not they were aware of the routing.

There are examples of one sides infantry winning "their" battle, but being defeated and routed after the opponents cavalry routes the friendly cavalry and comes back to help their own infantry, most likley attacking the other infatnry in the rear of flank while they are still engaged with the other infantry.

One battle, I believe in the Albeginsian has the Cathar infantry chasing after the routed crusader infantry, and apparently the crusader cavalry somes back to the field a few hours after chasing routing Cathar cavalry, and finds the Albeginsian infantry disordered but victorious after defeating the crusader infantry, and then the crusader cavalry makes short work fo the previously victorious infantry.
Lafayette C Curtis

Reading list: 7 books

PostPosted: Wed 16 Nov, 2011 6:13 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Such things only happened in major battles, however, which were a rarity. Most medieval armies and battles were quite small--by modern standards, they'd be more accurately called "detachments" and "skirmishes"--and the extent of ground they were fought over were usually small enough that defeat at any point usually led to the rest of the force being "rolled up" and routed as well. It's worth noting that in the same campaign--the Albigensian Crusades--the colossal victory at Muret was won by less than a thousand horsemen!
Gary Teuscher

PostPosted: Wed 16 Nov, 2011 10:54 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Quote:
the colossal victory at Muret was won by less than a thousand horsemen!

This type of statement reminds me of sports journalism where they say "Tom Brady beats the Jets!"

But it's not like the horsemen defeated infantry, it was horrid tactics by Peter of Aragon.

His detachment of cavalry in essence was defeated by a detachment of crusader cavalry, in which Peter was killed almost at the onset of battle. And apparently he rode into battle without full armour.

The remainer of his forces routed en masse, including his own cavalry which probably outnumbered the crusader cavalry by 2-3 to 1.

One of his commnanders advised a more defensive approach, to let the crusader forces meet the full battle line of Peter's troops while under missile fire, but Peter deemd this unchivalric.

The crusader cavalry did not win this battle because of sucess in a head first charge against the rebel infantry - they won it because King Peter was killed at the start of the battle, and the remainser of their forces, including their cavalry then routed.
Randall Moffett

PostPosted: Thu 17 Nov, 2011 9:38 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

There are some very interesting accounts that show this dynamic of cavalry verses infantry. On is the days leading up to Arsuf in 1191. Of the half a dozen excellent accounts on this three (two crusader and one Arab source, Saladin's secretary nonetheless) indicates the heavy Mamluks actually push through the heavy crusader infantry until the rearguard of the crusader cavalry plunges into them. In this case it is hard to claim these infantry were poorly armed, organized or disciplined as for several more days they would repel the Muslims until the actual battle broke out. In this case the enemy cavalry was just more so.

Another is Nicopolis. The European knights and heavy cavalry tore through a screen of pits and stakes then crushed the Muslim infantry. Sure they were largely volunteer or drafted men but most of the accounts indicate they stood their ground and were subsequently cut down, then routed. If not for the mounted Ottoman cavalry fresh waiting and French stupidity in not reforming and waiting for the rest of the army (Hey I bet Coucy would agree) the battle might have been much different. Regardless heavy cavalry could do a heck of lot of damage to static forces and be victorious over them.

Now I selected these two accounts for two reasons. First to show that in some cases even with infantry forces that are not cowed and broken before the charges impact stood and failed and two because they are good example of how one action does not always mean victory. In these cases the forces lacked their infantry forces to finish the attack. Some people have taken the Mamluk attack as not more than a feint but Saladin's won secretary does not seem to think this.

Gary,

Clearly there are few battles that are won by any single action or group, even into the modern period cohesion between various groups, individuals and tools are vital to victory. Yet the individual or their smaller units are imperative to the outcome often.

I am not much a Brady fan but it would be wrong to say he won but equally wrong that he did not have a key role in taking the game. Every team needs its Saladin's or Richard's, and seemingly their Philip d' Eu's. At least John learns a valuable lesson from his impatience.

RPM
Gary Teuscher

PostPosted: Thu 17 Nov, 2011 10:33 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Quote:
Clearly there are few battles that are won by any single action or group, even into the modern period cohesion between various groups, individuals and tools are vital to victory. Yet the individual or their smaller units are imperative to the outcome often.

True. I think though that those that reported on the results of battles may have been guilty of the same thing many modern sports reporters do - attributing too much to the efforts of specific individuals or units. And I think one thing that often is an issue with reports of battles - those that do the reporting are often influenced those that rank higher in social status.

Quote:
There are some very interesting accounts that show this dynamic of cavalry verses infantry. On is the days leading up to Arsuf in 1191. Of the half a dozen excellent accounts on this three (two crusader and one Arab source, Saladin's secretary nonetheless) indicates the heavy Mamluks actually push through the heavy crusader infantry until the rearguard of the crusader cavalry plunges into them. In this case it is hard to claim these infantry were poorly armed, organized or disciplined as for several more days they would repel the Muslims until the actual battle broke out. In this case the enemy cavalry was just more so.

Cavalry may have had sucesses at times against formed infantry. Perhaps I was a bit unclear in what I was trying to illustrate.

First, most of those killed in battle are not killed during the combat, but in the eventual ensuing route. It does not take a lot of men lost in a unit to cause a unit to falter - 10-20% is often enough to cause the unit to route. Situations like the 300 Spartans are very rare indeed.

I mentioned that if the infantry stood their ground, they had a much greater chance of sucess.

But this failing to stand their ground could happen on initial contact, or it could happen a little while after combat, if the infantry perceived their little corner of the battle was going badly for them. and of course, better trianing, morale, armour could all impact how steadfast they would be.

If cavalry fail to initially route the infantry on cantact, they still may be sucessful. But every few minutes in battle could very well be a man for man trade off, losing "expensive" heavy cavalry to less expensive foot.

Perhaps in the situation above with the crusader infantry - they may have stood their ground initially, but perceived the battle was going badly and begun to lose confidence and cohesion.

A route is not an all or nothing type situation. It will be a mixture of those standing their ground and fighting, those wavering, and those running, all in various stages. And those that stand their ground are less likley to do so as they see others running or being killed.

But it's not in the best interest of the cavalry to trade off man for man, unless they infantry loses courage at some point.

Another thing as well - I am not aware of any situations where true high quality infantry, like the Varangian Guard, was routed by a frontal assualt from cavalry. In the various battles of the byzantines vs the Normans, the Varangian guard, though often on the losing side, generally stayed stable until most of the rest of the army was routing.
Randall Moffett

PostPosted: Thu 17 Nov, 2011 1:57 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

If Richard I's infantry were not some of the best of the best I'd be surprised as they are one of the most commonly held groups for the effective use of infantry during the medieval period, perhaps even more so than the Varangians. Arsuf is likely one of the best known battles in infantry repelling cavalry, which for almost the entire event is true but as I said before even the best infantry is not guaranteed victory against a direct cavalry attack. If you have not looked at the battle it is certainly worth a look.

Now there is some point where the Norman knights under Robert rides down the Varangians but I could not tell you the specific battle, either Corfu or Dyrrhachium I think where the guards are defeated under Alexius I. They were separated from the rest of the Byzantine army but when attacked draw into ranks but do not hold. The rest of the Byzantine infantry does not do very well either, a direct charge pushing right through the center. I think this account is covered in good detail in the Alexiad (written by His daughter Anna).

John Keegan puts casualties at only a few percent in many cases. But since any group can break this is not crucial to the infantry to cavalry issue as much as general wafare. Cavalry, infantry, missilemen, for the most part breaking to flee seems to be applicable to any one, though it is easier on a horse in many cases.

RPM
Gary Teuscher

PostPosted: Fri 18 Nov, 2011 8:14 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Quote:
Now there is some point where the Norman knights under Robert rides down the Varangians but I could not tell you the specific battle, either Corfu or Dyrrhachium I think where the guards are defeated under Alexius I. They were separated from the rest of the Byzantine army but when attacked draw into ranks but do not hold. The rest of the Byzantine infantry does not do very well either, a direct charge pushing right through the center. I think this account is covered in good detail in the Alexiad (written by His daughter Anna).

At Dyrrhachium, the Byzantine right wing in which the Varangians were part of routed the Norman left. In their pursuit (losing formation likely) they were then ridden down by Norman cavarly. This is not a big suprise to me, a similar situation to Hasting in a way where some of the Huscarls and Fyrd pursued retreating Norman cavalry and were ridden down.

But this actually shows the point I was trying to make - high quality well equipped infantry can hold aqgainst heavy cavalry well - IF they maintain formation. Problem is in pursuit (or in routing Wink ), formation usually breaks up.

Some info on Dyrrhachium:

Quote:
In the meantime, the Byzantine right and centre had been engaging in skirmishes with the Normans opposite them. However, with the collapse of the Norman right, the knights were in danger of being outflanked. At this point, the Varangians (mainly Anglo-Saxons who had left England after the Norman Conquest) joined in the pursuit of the Norman right. With their massive battle axes, the Varangians attacked the Norman knights, who were driven away after their horses panicked. The Varangians soon became separated from the main force and exhausted so they were in no position to resist an assault. Guiscard sent a strong force of spearmen and crossbowmen against the Varangian flank and inflicted heavy casualties on them. The few remaining Varangians fled into the church of the Archangel Michael. The Normans immediately set the church on fire, and all Varangians perished in the blaze.[25]

Even the best quality troops will have problems if seperated and flanked, which seems to have happened with the Varangians. But in the initial clash, they were sucessful in driving back the Normans, even the Heavy Cavalry.

Their initial success in a way was ironically repsonsible for their defeat.

And with limited battlefield communication, it's tough to know what is going on outside of your immediate area. I rememebr reading Xenophon, where the Mercenary greeks he was a part of were in a battle one the side of the rebel persians (civil war). Thy routed the enemy left, but upon ceasing combat, they realized they were very isolated from their own lines, and their side had almost already lot the battle by this point.
Randall Moffett

PostPosted: Fri 18 Nov, 2011 3:39 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Where are you seeing that they were flanked? Separated by the rest of the army, sure. Tired, yep. Every thing I have seen indicates they regroup and the knights hit them in front. Regardless of if they are tired it still worked. If we simply list reasons why infantry were unable to stand against cavalry charges it obscures the real issue, that cavalry charges often were successful and not only because they (the infantry) ran before the charge hit This is the main issue. They stood ground to meet the offensive and it failed.

Same goes with the main Byzantine army of infantry. They get the charge front and center and fail. Now they are not perhaps the best infantry in the world but they are certainly what is constantly portrayed often as rag tag, ill disciplined infantry who broke and rank before they impact but they held then are defeated.

To me this is the key point. We have dozens, scores, maybe hundreds of accounts that are not wimpy, unprepared and ill disciplined groups of infantry being defeated by cavalry charges. We see pike formations in the 15th and 16th where heavy cavalry do similar things. We can try making a list of reasons (excuses) it failed to hold without fleeing before the initial impact, but it did. To me there is enough evidence this was looked at as a primary tactic not an accidental one, were they always effective? No of course not. Most of the time? Not likely but how many times do we read of missile assaults failing, infantry attacks being held off, all the time. Why should we expect the cavalry charge to be any different, battle is scores of factors moving like a blur and any number of them can effect the out come but we have to be wary of simply making this into a straight across causal relationship and such generalities usually are to broad to be accurate.

Doubtless the better armed, better prepared and disciplined infantry was more likely to hold but from what I have seen invincible is a stretch.

RPM

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Cavalry charges, help!
Page 5 of 9 Reply to topic
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: