Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Cavalry charges, help! Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 
Gary Teuscher

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Thu 12 Jul, 2012 9:28 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I read the first link, did not read the second one til now, William.

I gues there is one HUGE difference though in the cavalry vs infantry debate - which clearly favors cavalry. Cavalry that fail in melee and retreat are not in danger of being followed usually, and can recollect themselves, rally, and fight again. Infantry, failing in a battle against cavalry will route and be cut down.

Hastings is a good example of infantry vs cavalry IMO, as the Saxons had no cavalry of their own to cloud the issue as to what happened.

They stood their ground against a few cavalry assaults, driving the cavalry off, the only time they really took many casualties is when their men broke ranks to pursue. The Norman cavarly on the other hand did not seem to fare well in the first few clashes, but were able to retreat, rally, and try again.

When the Saxon infantry finally break, they are pursued and suffer in the rout.
Mikael Ranelius

PostPosted: Thu 02 Aug, 2012 11:17 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Speaking of cavalry charges, I recently read a claim by D. Nicolle that medieval men-at-arms charged at a "slow canter" rather than at full speed. Is this claim substantiated? If we look at medieval depictions of mounted men charging such as the Bayeux tapestry or Maciejowski Bible, the horses are often clearly shown at a gallop... What can we gather from the written sources on that issue?
Christian Borglum

PostPosted: Fri 03 Aug, 2012 11:40 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Mikael, I've heard the Canter-pace charge theory espoused by more folks than David Nicolle. Period artwork such as the Bayeaux Tapestry do seem to frequently show horses at the gallop. Although it's not a direct corollary, jousts are performed at a gallop. Since the joust was originally a contest of military skill, it seems like the techniques would mostly mirror military practice. So, I think it's pretty likely that the lance charge was delivered at gallop.
Now, I do think it's very possible that a period cavalry would approach the enemy at a quick canter to maintain the spacing and integrity of their formation. Then they may have accelerated to a gallop to deliver the charge maybe over the last 50 to 100 yards. Of course, that's only my opinion of what's plausible. Perhaps another forumite more experienced in horsemanship can comment further,
The problem is that we really have no military manuals being written in western or central europe during the "age of chivalry" circa 1066-1300 CE. No one seems to have bothered to write down exactly how they did it. There are the "Rules" of the Knightly orders, but I don't know if those documents describe exactly 'how' the brother-knights were to deliver a charge. During the Renaissance, I believe there were some folks writing on military theory. The question then becomes how relevant are the later writings to earlier practices.
Gary Teuscher

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Fri 03 Aug, 2012 9:12 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Maybe the velocity of the initial clash depended on how solid the infantry stood? The more infantry that break of the line wavers the faster the initial clash, if it holds solid they slow to a walk or even shy away.

I look at the initial clashes at Stirling Bridge. If the Cavalry were charging at a gallop, I think there would have been more casualties among the English Heavy Cavalry.
Bjorn Hagstrom

Reading list: 8 books

PostPosted: Sat 04 Aug, 2012 1:24 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

As a rider, I would throw in another good reason for charging at a slower pace than a full out gallop:
(Note this is speculation not backed with medieval sources)

If the charge fails, the horse will stop and turn very, very quickly. You certainly do not want to be hurled off the horse and land on your back right in front of the enemy line! So if the cavalry are not absolutely certain the infantry line will yield, and the ground is not perfect turf I would guess that a slower pace would be used.

It is quite intimidating facing a body of horse. I have been standing in a field with a flock of around 20 horses (varying sizes) running by in speed and the ground really shakes! And that was a flock not coming directly at me, no armoured riders with mal intent! Standing up to a cavalry charge must have been a very true test of discipline for infantry.

There is nothing quite as sad as a one man conga-line...
William P

PostPosted: Thu 09 Aug, 2012 12:14 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

heres a quote from a 6th cenury byzantine manuscript for the cavalry formation.
Quote:
the cavalr phalanx, on the oher hand is loose and wihout much crowding. bu it too possesses its own kind of forcefulness in attacking, since it does not fall upon the enemy in a slow or measured way but charges at full speed. this charge is really terifying to men who have not not had years of combat experience

cavalry phalanx. that like infantry phalanx has a hard edge, thefront row having such equiptment
Quote:
the horses of the soldiers of the front line... should be equipped with iron armour for he heads breasts and neck,.... in a like manner the horses hooves should be protected by iron plates so they will not be injured by caltrops and similar devices.

it doesn say how the men should be armed and equipped
Mikael Ranelius

PostPosted: Thu 09 Aug, 2012 3:50 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Interesting points. One argument that has been put forward in favor of the slow-speed-charge hypothesis is that a unit. e.g. conrois, of horsemen will have dofficulties keeping formation if charging at full speed. However, we know from later times that heavy cavalry actually did charge at a gallop. I'm not very familiar with early modern cavalry tactics, but I know that Carolean Swedish cavalry at the time of the Great Northern War did charge at the gallop, in a dense ("knee by knee") wedge formation in three ranks. If 17th/18th century cavalry were able to charge at full speed in tight 250-men formations, I see little reason to doubt that medieval cavalry would have fared worse when charging in smaller formations of 25-50.
Daniel Staberg

Reading list: 2 books

PostPosted: Thu 09 Aug, 2012 4:18 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Mikael Ranelius wrote:
Interesting points. One argument that has been put forward in favor of the slow-speed-charge hypothesis is that a unit. e.g. conrois, of horsemen will have dofficulties keeping formation if charging at full speed. However, we know from later times that heavy cavalry actually did charge at a gallop. I'm not very familiar with early modern cavalry tactics, but I know that Carolean Swedish cavalry at the time of the Great Northern War did charge at the gallop, in a dense ("knee by knee") wedge formation in three ranks. If 17th/18th century cavalry were able to charge at full speed in tight 250-men formations, I see little reason to doubt that medieval cavalry would have fared worse when charging in smaller formations of 25-50.

It is diffcult to mantain order during a charge, military writers of the 16th Century frequently dicussed this problem as they argued which formation should be used (line or column), at which speed one should charge and at which distance the charge should begin. Not even the vaunted Carolean cavalry could mantain it's formation at the gallop for anything but a short distance, indeed they did not charge at the gallop at all during the early years of the Great Northern War.

Medieval cavalry would have faced the same challenges and undoubtedly used the same solution which was to begin the charge at a slow pace and only go into the full gallop 10-50 paces from the enemy.

This video shows the French Republican Guard deliver a charge according to the regulations in use in 1805, while far better trained as a unit than anything seen in Hollywood they still have trouble keeping a tight formation once they get to the gallop.
http://youtu.be/cOl4piWh2eA

"There is nothing more hazardous than to venture a battle. One can lose it
by a thousand unforseen circumstances, even when one has thorougly taken all
precautions that the most perfect military skill allows for."
-Fieldmarshal Lennart Torstensson.
William P

PostPosted: Thu 09 Aug, 2012 6:28 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

i should note the byzantine manual says 'fall upon the enemy at a gallop' that means on impact i would imagine, it doesnt say how the whole of the charge should proceed.

but hen again i may be wrong

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Cavalry charges, help!
Page 9 of 9 Reply to topic
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: