Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Custom work on a Del Tin 5140... Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
JE Sarge
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Wed 07 Jan, 2009 8:03 pm    Post subject: Custom work on a Del Tin 5140...         Reply with quote

I've been doing some work on a Del Tin 5140 that I have been using as a project sword to develop my skill set. This is the same sword I regripped a few weeks back. Though I was happy with the results I got from the grip, I felt that this sword could be alot more elegant visually.

First off, I stripped off the grip wrap and began sculpting a heavily-waisted grip. I measured the sculpts to my large hands making it uniquly comfortable to me. I tapered the grip, but made the part closest to the guard hexagonal in cross-section to match the pommel lines. The picture taken below was when I was about 90% finished.

Next, I did some more work on the scabbard core I made for this sword when I wrapped the grip. Though my construction really won't allow me to get it paper thin without integrity problems, I was able to thin it a little bit more. I added a rawhide triangular flap to the top which will re-enforce the triangular leather guard I am going to put in, allowing a nice firm surface that will not deform or sag over time. The risers are designed to accomidate an intergral baldric I am planning to do.

Next, I wanted to add details to the cross on this sword. It was far too plain. I added small hexagonal details to the ends and filed in some grooves on either side of the blade. Though difficult to see, each groove actually has its corner filed at a 45 degree angle to match the finials.

Work is continuing. I made a bulk leather order which arrived today and plan on doing the grip and scabbard cover in a deep rich red or oxblood. Additionally, I will be bluing the pommel and crossguard to a nice deep antique grey.

Thanks to everyone for the tips, pointers, and articles on myArmoury.com. The have been of great use in helping develop these skills!

I'll repost with updates and pics as I work towards completion.

J.E. Sarge
Crusader Monk Sword Scabbards and Customizations
www.crusadermonk.com

"But lack of documentation, especially for such early times, is not to be considered as evidence of non-existance." - Ewart Oakeshott
Chad Arnow
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

PostPosted: Wed 07 Jan, 2009 8:05 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

JE,
This has been moved to Historical Arms Talk (again), as that's the correct location for something like this.

Happy

ChadA

http://chadarnow.com/
Joe Fults

PostPosted: Wed 07 Jan, 2009 8:09 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Well done so far.

I really enjoy it when people share their projects in threads like these. its great seeing the creative things people come up with and the ways that creativity can take something familiar and make it into something completely different.

"The goal shouldn’t be to avoid being evil; it should be to actively do good." - Danah Boyd
JE Sarge
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Wed 07 Jan, 2009 8:19 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Went to work this AM on it again. Here is what I started with at 6am. Still needed a re-emboss

This is what I had by 10am. Embossed, cut, dyed/finished belt, added straps/buckle for intergral baldric, and gave it a coat of leather sheen. Scabbard is essentially finished now. Still waiting on cold blue to get here before I do the grip wrap though.

J.E. Sarge
www.crusadermonk.com

"But lack of documentation, especially for such early times, is not to be considered as evidence of non-existance." - Ewart Oakeshott
JE Sarge
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Fri 09 Jan, 2009 10:34 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Well, all done. I blued to a nice antique grey effect, then added the grip. I touched up the risers with a little black to give them more definition. All in all, its a very comfortable grip - 10x more than the stock Del Tin one it had a few months back and better than my previous attempt.

These pictures are a little dark, but I'll try to do some outdoor ones tomorrow. Here it is:

J.E. Sarge
www.crusadermonk.com

Nathan Spence

PostPosted: Sat 10 Jan, 2009 7:48 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Very Very nice Job! I like it alot especially the detail to the swords crossguard. Job well done.

Can you tell me how you attached the leather to the scabbard and specifically to the trianglular raw hide piece?

Thanks
Spence
JE Sarge
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Sat 10 Jan, 2009 11:32 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thanks for the compliment.

I do my scabbard wraps like a grip, put the art and a rawhide triangle al th top, then wrap it with damp leather backed with glue, trimming it as I go. After it dries a little, then I do my embossing, then add the leather sheen. Its a learning process and what might for good for others may not work best for you. I'd suggest getting some bulk hide and giving some things a go.

J.E. Sarge
www.crusadermonk.com

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Custom work on a Del Tin 5140...
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic