Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Viking padding Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next 
Dan Howard

Spotlight topics: 2

PostPosted: Mon 26 Jan, 2009 1:41 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Jean Henri Chandler wrote:
I haven't seen a single argument from the usual group who tries to shut down such discussions as the likelyhood of padded garments worn underneath armor by the Norse that stood up to common sense analysis. Just a lot ot games with semantics, segues way out into the Roman army and back, anything to derail the topic.
Huh? There are plenty of people who reckon that padding is not necessary under mail for a variety of reasons and circumstances. That does not mean that NOBODY wore padding under their mail. However we still have no idea whether a padded garment specifically designed to be used under mail was worn or whether Scandinavians made do with a few layers of regular clothing.

Quote:
It's also worth pointing out the Greeks used armor (linothorax) made enitrely of layers of linen hardened with vinegar or urine ( just like that example of 'harsh wine'.)
No they didn't. The most likely method of constructing the linothorax was simply quilting multiple layers of linen together - just like the European padded jack.

Quote:
No archeological evidence? Surviving textiles are almost non existant this far back. There has been very little mail found even though we know from literary evidence hundreds of panoplies were worn in some battles.
Which is why it has always been said that there is NO EVIDENCE to support such a hypothesis. When more evidence presents itself the arguments will be refined.

Quote:
As for the reindeer hides, did anyone consider that the "enchantment' was something like a hardening process? Wink
Yes. Not possible. Anyone who has worked with reindeer hide will tell you that it is useless for making armour.

Quote:
We know the Vikings were extremely resourceful and pragmatic and quickly adapted to other cultures and other technology, earliest of all specifically military technology (the Rus horse archers among the Drushina and Norman heavy cavalry, to cite two glaring examples)
And we know that mail is perfectly serviceable with no padding under many circumstances. Given the vikings pragmatism and knowing the common threats on the battlefield during the time in question one might ask why they HAD to have padded their mail?

Quote:
We also know they used mail for more than 400 years (at least) and yet we are expected to believe in all that time, in the service of armies as sophisticated as the Byzantines and the Khazars, fighting all over Eurasia against such diverse opponents as the Irish, the Saxons, the Moors, the Byzantines, the Khazars, the Venetians, the Arabs etc. they never learned that it was twice as effective when worn with padding underneath, when they in fact also had suitible textiles in quantity all around them?
That statement is simply false. There is no way one can make such a sweeping statement. Some types of mail are certainly better at resisting some types of weapons when combined with padding. But not all. And there are perfectly reasonable reasons why someone would deliberately choose NOT to wear padding dispite improved protection - ease of movement, heat, expense, weight, etc. A sweat-soaked gambeson can weigh as much or more than mail.

Quote:
Also lets keep in mind, Mail was not just for incidental pretection from draw cuts, I can't believe that old canard is floating around.
Because incidental minor wounds are the vast majority of the injuries that anyone on a battlefield would receive. One might ask why modern body armour is being worn if it isn't effective against 100% of the threats on a battlefield? One might also ask why some people choose NOT to wear body armour dispite an imminent threat? Both questions will help answer why some warriors, dispite having the means to do so, did not equip themselves in the heaviest armour available.

Quote:
The principle weapons on the battlefield they would need protection against would be first and foremost low-energy missiles (javelins primarily, also axes, darts, rocks etc.)
Which are perfectly capable of being resisted by a stout mail hauberk with no padding. Blunt trauma has been seriously overblown by many people.
Jean Henri Chandler

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Mon 26 Jan, 2009 2:26 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Quote:
Which are perfectly capable of being resisted by a stout mail hauberk with no padding. Blunt trauma has been seriously overblown by many people.

The significance is that we know from many tests including quite a good one posted recently to this forum, that Mail works better against piercing from arrows, javelins, spears etc. when it has a padded garment underneath it. In other words it works better against exactly the kind of attacks we both know most Norse warriors would face from javelins etc. and later spears. 'incidental' draw cuts from sabers are actually rather unlikely in comparison.

In fact I find all of your arguments spurious. You categorically state how linothorax was made, and whether reindeer hide could be made into armor, when in fact you do not actually know. (though at least you admit linothorax existed, which is odd considering there is no archeological evidence of it as far as I know)

Pepole have already pointed out in this thread the considerable literay evidence of padded armor worn under mail by the Vikings.

You raise completley phony objections. Cost? Are you serious? Compared to the cost of a mail shirt? Give me a break. Heat could very well be an issue circumstantially, in the height of summer near the Black Sea or even in Britain where we know in some cases they ditched their mail. But it defies credulity to try to use that as an argument to say they generally did not wear padded coats under their mail due to heat. In Scandinavia. Right.

In fact we are supposed to follow along with this tenuous stretch of logic even at the same time that we ignore all the of the circumstnatial and direct evidence for norse use of textile armor.

I'm sorry but you will have to cite evidence for your claims because you do not have any credibility to me in this thread, I've seen enough in this and numerous other similar threads on subjects related to Norse kit that you clearly have an agenda and I won't take your word for it.

J

Books and games on Medieval Europe Codex Integrum

Codex Guide to the Medieval Baltic Now available in print
Dan Howard

PostPosted: Mon 26 Jan, 2009 2:42 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

The significance is that we know from many tests including quite a good one posted recently to this forum, that Mail works better against piercing from arrows, javelins, spears etc. when it has a padded garment underneath it. In other words it works better against exactly the kind of attacks we both know most Norse warriors would face from javelins etc. and later spears. 'incidental' draw cuts from sabers are actually rather unlikely in comparison.
There are [plenty of reasons why someone chooses to wear a particular type of armour. Protection is not the only one and it may not even be the MAIN one.

Quote:
In fact I find all of your arguments spurious. You categorically state how linothorax was made

No I didn't. I said that the MOST LIKELY method...

Quote:
and whether reindeer hide could be made into armor, when in fact you do not actually know.
There are plenmty of people who work with reindeer hide. Those who also make armour believe that reindeer hide cannot be hardened. I'll defer to their expertise.

Quote:
(though at least you admit linothorax existed, which is odd considering there is no archeological evidence of it as far as I know)
There are two surviving fragments; a small one found in a Mycenaean grave shaft and a much larger one recenty found in an ongoing dig at a Thebes arsenal. There are also multiple references in thje sources.

Quote:
People have already pointed out in this thread the considerable literay evidence of padded armor worn under mail by the Vikings.
Where? There is the Norse term treyja that definitely needs more study.

Quote:
Heat could very well be an issue circumstantially, in the height of summer near the Black Sea or even in Britain where we know in some cases they ditched their mail. But it defies credulity to try to use that as an argument to say they generally did not wear padded coats under their mail due to heat. In Scandinavia. Right.
Maybe you can explain how knights at the battle of Towton collapsed from heat exhaustion dispite the fact that heavy snow was falling? Climate has little influence on the stifling effects of armour.

Quote:
In fact we are supposed to follow along with this tenuous stretch of logic even at the same time that we ignore all the of the circumstnatial and direct evidence for norse use of textile armor.
All is circumstantial or speculative. Nobody has presented any direct, unambiguous evidence.

FWIW I have never claimed that the vikings never wore padded armour or padding under their mail. I have consistently claimed that there is not enough evidence. And there is NO evidence at all for leather armour. Until more evidence presents itself that is all that can really be said.
Josh Warren

PostPosted: Mon 26 Jan, 2009 3:14 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Mr. Chandler, you have made several leaps of logic here. Clearly, you want to believe that the Norse made use of padded garments under their mail. Do you have anything to support this belief other than wishful thinking? Rather than attacking your opponents, can you present any actual evidence that supports your position?
Non Concedo
Gary Teuscher

PostPosted: Mon 26 Jan, 2009 3:53 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Josh Warren wrote:

Quote:
Mr. Chandler, you have made several leaps of logic here.

I'd say there were not several leaps of logic, as a matter of fact the logic is that they would have worn padding under their mail of some sort, just as to what sort is more the question IMO. Now whether reindeer hide was used to make armour, I think is very questionable. But as a Thoracomachus lists leather as part of it's construction, I could see something like reindeer hide used in combination with textiles for an arming undergarment. Not reindeer hide as armour on it's own, but as part of an undergarment, which would make it similar in construction to the Thoracomachus

Quote:
Clearly, you want to believe that the Norse made use of padded garments under their mail. Do you have anything to support this belief other than wishful thinking?

I'm not sure if you have read the entire thread or not, but there was pattern of logic for Viking's wearing padding under mail. First, mail is most effective when worn with a undergarment. we should not assume the Vikings were not intelligent enough to realize this. Secondly,we have proof of textile armours beng worn as undergarments by the Greeks, Romans and the Romans came to represent are large swathe of he European peoples, as Germanic and celtic tribes were often allied with Rome, employed by Rome, were legionnaires themselves, etc. etc..

As many cultures throughout history wore armour under their mail including many of the time and place that Vikings had contact with, in order for them to NOT wear padding of some type under mail it would have been a conscious decision not to.

Now if you want to write this off due to Viking Machismo or stupidity, feel free to.

I also don't think it should come to the surprise of anyone that the cultures that we DO know wore padded garments under their armour were the ones that either were more recent or left some of the better literary records of all cultures. As far as finds of such, the Roman Empire ranged far and wide for a very long period of time, and to my knowledge we have know actual evidence of the Thoracomachus - only literary evidence, so the chances of padded armour surviving other than as fibers of cloth or similar is practically nil.

But I think this info is far more than "wishful thinking".

I think the problem with many is when it is said that one thinks the Vikings wore a padded garment under their armour, it's always assumed that a quilted Gambeson is what was meant by this. But there are many other forms underarmour like this could have taken. I lean towards something similar to the Thoracomachus, as this was what was most prevalent as underarmour prior to this time.

The idea of a quilted armour being worn on it's own is more questionable. If there would be something mentioned in sources to the effect that Romans wore the Thoracomachus on it's own towards the end of the empire when apparently metal armour was more rare, I'd feel more strongly about the possibility of Vikings or others wearing something along this lines.

As of right now the only thing that sticks out at me is the illustrations on the Bayeaux Tapestry of the soldiers in the curious diamond shaped tunics, different from the unarmoured archers and also different from those wearing mail.

Let me ask - if a find or literary evidence came up that Vikings wore a felt type of garment often covered with a leather garment under their mail would that surprise you? It certainly would not surprise me.

Now I would agree that there is no clear cut evidence that they wore it, and likely there will never be any.
Dan Howard

PostPosted: Mon 26 Jan, 2009 8:31 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Gary Teuscher wrote:
But as a Thoracomachus lists leather as part of it's construction, I could see something like reindeer hide used in combination with textiles for an arming undergarment. Not reindeer hide as armour on it's own, but as part of an undergarment, which would make it similar in construction to the Thoracomachus
The book that mentions the thoromachus does not state that it was ever actually worn in battle. The book lists suggestions that might make soldiers more effective in battle but there are plenty of things in that book that never saw the light of day. And there is nothing to suggest that this garment was intended to be worn under MAIL. It would in fact be redundant if their mail had its own integrated padding. Lamellar would be a better guess as to what the thoracomachus was intended for.

Quote:
I'm not sure if you have read the entire thread or not, but there was pattern of logic for Viking's wearing padding under mail. First, mail is most effective when worn with a undergarment.
Some types of mail are more effective against some types of attack when combined with padding.

Quote:
We should not assume the Vikings were not intelligent enough to realize this.
And should we assume that modern soldiers are stupid because they wear heavy body armour that is not 100% effective or because they don't wear their armour dispite facing an imminent threat? There are many reasons affecting affect why someone chooses to wear the armour they do. Apparently you think that optimal protection is all that is important.

Quote:
Secondly,we have proof of textile armours beng worn as undergarments by the Greeks, Romans
We are pretty sure that Romans wore a padded garment under the segmentata. No other type of armour. We are pretty sure that the Greeks did NOT wear padding under their armour though it may have incorporated an integrated liner. The edging that is apparent on Roman hamata illustrations strongly imply that the mail had an integrated liner. The Dendra Panoply had leather edging and trace amount of textile underneath - also implying the existence of a liner.

Quote:
As many cultures throughout history wore armour under their mail including many of the time and place that Vikings had contact with.
The vast majority of cases involving mail being layered with another type of armour has the mail being worn on the inside, not the outside.

Again I think you are confusing padded ARMOUR (i.e. the previously mentioned gambeson) and a lightly padded garment designed to be worn in conjunction with mail but provides little protection by itself (i.e. the previously mentioned aketon). The two are not interchangable. You cannot wear a gambeson under mail. It would restrict movement too much and be uncomfortable as hell. You'd look and move like the Michelin Man.

Quote:
I also don't think it should come to the surprise of anyone that the cultures that we DO know wore padded garments under their armour were the ones that either were more recent or left some of the better literary records of all cultures.
How many cultures do we know wore padding under mail? The Romans? Nope. The Greeks? We don't even know whether they wore mail. Vikings? Nope. Byzantines? Nope. Islamic Middle East? Yep, though often it was integrated with the mail and called a khazaghand. Medieval England? Yep. I can't think of a single culture where we have evidence of padding being worn under mail before the Middle Ages.

Quote:
As far as finds of such, the Roman Empire ranged far and wide for a very long period of time, and to my knowledge we have know actual evidence of the Thoracomachus - only literary evidence
Perhaps, as stated earlier, it was never actually used in battle. That particular book cannot be used as evidence for its existence since too many items in that book are hypothetical speculation. Perhaps if a corroborating text was found.

Quote:
But there are many other forms underarmour like this could have taken. I lean towards something similar to the Thoracomachus, as this was what was most prevalent as underarmour prior to this time.
There is one mention in one text as speculation and no iconographical or archaeological evidence to support it. How can you possibly say that this was the most prevalent underarmour at this time?

Last edited by Dan Howard on Mon 26 Jan, 2009 8:58 pm; edited 1 time in total
Jean Henri Chandler

PostPosted: Mon 26 Jan, 2009 8:53 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Dan Howard wrote:
And should we assume that modern soldiers are stupid because they wear heavy body armour that is not 100% effective or because they don't wear their armour dispite facing an imminent threat? There are many reasons affecting affect why someone chooses to wear the armour they do. Apparently you think that optimal protection is all that is important.

Ok since this is the second time you have raised this, lets run with it.

This is another spurious argument. During Vietnam, when flak vests were made of nylon and were only marginally effective (against fairly low energy shrapnel) in almost exactly the same limited way that many people still, to my amazement (including many people who really should know better) think medieval armor was, the troops didn't wear them unless they were forced to. They took them off at every opportunity.

When I was in the army in the 80's we had the Kevlar flak vests which were about half as cumbersome as the old nylon vests (which I also wore once or twice) and twice as effective. Still pretty marginal, about good enough to stop pistol bullets, but that alone was enough protection that they were fairly popular with soldiers I knew. The Kevlar helmets were very popular since we knew they could stop rifle bullets.

Now days in Iraq the flak jackets are improved to the point that with the inserts they can stop high velocity rifle and machine gun bullets. So the troops generally wear them. Not everybody would, but most.

I think this is analagous to the Vikings and mail armor. Mail armor actually weighs about as much as a high threat level flak vest. It's similarly expensive. Personally I don't think people would have worn it, carried it around, paid for it, maintained it (quite a chore especially if you were anywhere near the sea) if it only provided the kind of protection the old Vietnam era flak jackets did. Which is what has been essentially argued in this thread as it's about how useful mail is without an undergarment.

I suspect, given the obvious popularity of mail armor with these people, that it was worn as integrated body armor i.e. with something significant underneath, and therefore highly effective protection analgous to a modern high threat level ballistic armor.

J

P.S. Oh and Towton had more to do with the steel plate armor overheating the guys, linen and mail breathes much better. Nice try though Wink

BD

Jean Henri Chandler

PostPosted: Mon 26 Jan, 2009 9:00 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Josh Warren wrote:
Mr. Chandler, you have made several leaps of logic here. Clearly, you want to believe that the Norse made use of padded garments under their mail. Do you have anything to support this belief other than wishful thinking? Rather than attacking your opponents, can you present any actual evidence that supports your position?

Mr Warren, I would say you are making a rather incredible leap of logic all your own, namely that you think you know what I believe let alone what I want to believe. I wouldn't make such presumptions about you, maybe you have me at a disadvantage, do we know each other from somewhere?

I actually dont' want to believe anything about padded armor. I am just tired of seeing every discussion about Norse kit shut down by the same people who clearly have more than intellectual interest in making sure they didn't have padded armor, or maces, or whatever. Having followed the discussion in this thread i decided to chime in, because it seems to be me like some people who made good points early on in this thread were essentially bullied into shutting up (because who wants to get into yet another stupid argument?) Even I don't want to get in an argument. I am merely standing up for the right of people to speculate about matters where there is clearly a very gray area. Do I know Vikings wore padded garments under mail? Nope. I suspect it's likely, given what we know about Vikings, what we know about mail, and some of the literary evidence cited in this thread which I didn't know about until today.

What I haven't seen is any evidence that they didn't have padded armor. I suspect they may very well have had it, but something new could come out tomorrow which could change how we look at a lot of this. I've already seen that happen with the Vikings more than once in my lifetime.

What we know about the Vikings is vastly, vastly smaller than what we don't know. I'd like to see that ratio improve, and I think open dialogue and intelligent discussion of the available data is worth pursuing and shutting it down on the basis of somebodies agenda, whatever it is, isn't constructive IMO.

And for the record, I don't really think leather armor was very common in Europe either, but I know there was some, and I'm not ruling it out categorically. Not even reindeer hide Wink

J

Dan Howard

PostPosted: Mon 26 Jan, 2009 9:11 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I think this is analagous to the Vikings and mail armor. Mail armor actually weighs about as much as a high threat level flak vest. It's similarly expensive. Personally I don't think people would have worn it, carried it around, paid for it, maintained it (quite a chore especially if you were anywhere near the sea) if it only provided the kind of protection the old Vietnam era flak jackets did. Which is what has been essentially argued in this thread as it's about how useful mail is without an undergarment.
There is a difference between wearing mail against the naked skin, a single tuinic, a reassonably thick woollen tunic and a heavily padded gambeson. Mail is perfectly effective when worn over the woollen tunic or several lighter tunics. Wearing mail over naked skin is not. Wearing mail over a thick gambeson is counterproductive since it is uncomforatable and hampers movement.

Quote:
What I haven't seen is any evidence that they didn't have padded armor.
I get tired of hearing this. It is a logical impossibility to prove a negative.

Quote:
I suspect it's likely, given what we know about Vikings, what we know about mail, and some of the literary evidence cited in this thread which I didn't know about until today.
Where is this literary evidence? I have gone over this thread several times. There is nothing apart from the Norse term treyja that is ambiguous but definitely deserves further study.

Quote:
P.S. Oh and Towton had more to do with the steel plate armor overheating the guys, linen and mail breathes much better. Nice try though Wink
The example was raised because of your spurious statement that climate has an effect on how stifling armour is. Whether it is a warm summer's day or the middle of winter the stifling effects of heavy armour after a battle are the same. It doesn't matter whether it is plate or mail or scale or anything else.

How about this: if a sweat-soaked gambeson doubled the effective weight of your armour and greatly hampered your movement would you consider wearing something lighter underneath dispite losing a little protection?
Jean Thibodeau

Reading list: 1 book

Spotlight topics: 5

PostPosted: Mon 26 Jan, 2009 9:37 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Dan Howard wrote:
Wearing mail over naked skin is not. Wearing mail over a thick gambeson is counterproductive since it is uncomfortable and hampers movement.

Oh, tried it and generally it doesn't work and wouldn't work at all for fighting but how comfortable it is depends a lot on the maille: If it's proper riveted maille it's almost like wearing sandpaper inside a shirt ..... No fun, not a bit comfortable.

I have an old butted maille shirt made of very hard stainless steel that I have tried on a couple of times by itself that because of how well butted the rings are it is very smooth to the touch but the occasional chest hairs getting caught is a occasional problem.

I also have a stainless steel maille welded maille shirt by " The Ring Lord " that is very comfortable directly on skin.

Now, these are obviously completely non historically correct maille shirts so I only mention this as " Fun " or funny information.
Oh, I hate to think what sweat would do to carbon steel or iron maille with direct body contact: Accelerated rusting at the very least !

Oh, I think that if people keep very distinct what is proven knowledge and what is plausible speculation(s) there might be less cause for disagreement or just perceived disagreement. Confused Question Laughing Out Loud

An exchange of ideas plus agreeing to disagree seems better to me than reading too much between the lines ! ( The usual pitfalls of on-line discussions where the absence of tone of voice and emotional context lead to misunderstandings that wouldn't happen having the discussion over a beer and pigs knuckles ..... couldn't resist the pigs knuckles .... sorry to any vegetarians out there. Wink Laughing Out Loud ).

You can easily give up your freedom. You have to fight hard to get it back!
Gary Teuscher

PostPosted: Tue 27 Jan, 2009 8:19 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Quote:
Oh, I think that if people keep very distinct what is proven knowledge and what is plausible speculation(s) there might be less cause for disagreement or just perceived disagreement.

Good point Jean. I have never said they absolutely di wear padding under mail, or that there is proof. But I feel it is very plausible speculation.

Dan Howard wrote:

Quote:
The book that mentions the thoromachus does not state that it was ever actually worn in battle. The book lists suggestions that might make soldiers more effective in battle but there are plenty of things in that book that never saw the light of day. And there is nothing to suggest that this garment was intended to be worn under MAIL. It would in fact be redundant if their mail had its own integrated padding. Lamellar would be a better guess as to what the thoracomachus was intended for.

There are at least 4 references to this type of garment. You are merely citing the later one, there are other references, and there are two garments discussed in these various references, the Subarmalis being the other one. They may have been two names for the same garment or two garments, we do not know. But there are far too many references to this type of garment to consider it hypothetical.

As far as this garment not being worn under mail - That is where I feel you are making the speculative leap. Why should we assume it was designed only to be worn under lammelar or in case of the earlier garments the Segmentata, when it would function best combined with mail? Nothing indicates this on any of the literary sources to my knowledge.

Now as far is integral padding on mail, that's another story. If we assume the Romans and possibly viking wore integral padding on their mail, there is no need for an undergarment, I would cetainly agree. But if that is the case, they clearly wear padding in conjunction with mail, which is a positive answer then to "did vikings wear padding with mail". Was jazerant the correct name for this type of armour? I know there was some speculation that Odo in the Tapestry was wearing this type of armour.
Quote:

Jean Henri's reply adresses this pretty well. But the whole issue is mail functions far better with padding than without, more so than other types of armour. I think the vikings would have recognized this. For a little more weight and a little more cost, they are protected far better. And there is not really much difference in the weapons the Vikings faced vs the weapons the middle ages warrior faced - most common threat was a spear.

Quote:
Again I think you are confusing padded ARMOUR (i.e. the previously mentioned gambeson) and a lightly padded garment designed to be worn in conjunction with mail but provides little protection by itself (i.e. the previously mentioned aketon). The two are not interchangable. You cannot wear a gambeson under mail. It would restrict movement too much and be uncomfortable as hell. You'd look and move like the Michelin Man.

No. I am not confusing them. When I use the term "padding" or "padded armour", I am not referring to the tubular quilted Gambeson or aketon, neither one. I've mentioned a fair amount of times that I am not sure what type of construction may have been used. Felt, thick wool, possibly leather as in the Roman garments are some of the construction types I have considered. I feel (again "feel", not state) that the Viking padding, if worn (and I believe it was) could very wel have been of a lighter construction, weight and protection even than the later gambeson. I'm thinking more along the lines of some of the thoughts of what the Roman garment may have been constructed of It's also my thought that one, the earlier padding looked ifferent from the gambeson, whcih would make it tougher to recognize in illustrations, and two the gambeson or aketons where a new step in the evolution of padded undergarments, at least for NW Europe.

Quote:
How many cultures do we know wore padding under mail? The Romans? Nope. The Greeks? We don't even know whether they wore mail. Vikings? Nope. Byzantines? Nope. Islamic Middle East? Yep, though often it was integrated with the mail and called a khazaghand. Medieval England? Yep. I can't think of a single culture where we have evidence of padding being worn under mail before the Middle Ages.

Romans - We have 4 references to padded garments worn under armour, some earlier in the Roman period, some later.. As mail was used throughout the period, It's safe to assume that mail was not excluded as a form of armour to wear padded garments under.

Greeks - Many believe something akin to the Linothorax was worn under the Back and Breast as well. Many recreationist societies have the linothorax worn under armour. No mail though as far as we know, I agree, but padding under metal armour.

VIkings - No proof, this is obviously what we are debating.

Byzantines - The Bambakion was worn under metal armour. I guess we should assume that this was only issued to those wearing lammelar only? I would not agree, nothing indicates it was worn only under lammelar, and it would be best combined with mail.

I want to reiterate Jean Thibodeau's earlier post. I don't think anyone is stating there is proof vikings wore padding under mail - but based on much of the above, it is very plausible, even likley IMO that they did.
Jean Henri Chandler

PostPosted: Tue 27 Jan, 2009 10:57 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I have worn a padded gambeson for sparring in 90 degree heat and high humidity here in New Orleans just to keep from getting bruises. They do it routinely in big SCA fights too that are held in the US South. So it's not that much of a hindrance, and I have no doubt it could be worn in battle to save people from getting their lungs punctured. In fact we know it was later in history. Plate harnesss breathes much less and is much hotter to wear than either mail or linen. So no Dan the segue about Towton is not relevant to the Viking age.

But both of these are diversions from the issue, namely heat IS affected by climate and weather (and things like the availability of water) but would at best be a circumstantial impediment to the use of any historical armor at best, it would not rule out the use of it for hundreds of thousands of warriors across four centuries. They certainly wore plate harness in spite of the heat issues, in fact we know the Crusaders wore mail with gambesons* in the Middle East. They wore rhino hide armor in India for gods sake.

Also, I disagree Gary, there is one major difference between the Iron Age battlefields and the later Medieval battlefields. The primary threat for most troops in both cases was not spears at all but missiles. In the Iron Age these would be mostly low-energy missiles, i.e. primarily javelins. Thats not to say they don't hit hard especially thrown at short range, but at longer range could be stopped with shields. By the Medieval period increasingly very high energy missiles; long bows, very powerful winch spanned crossbows, recurve composite bows, and by the time plate armor began arriving, firearms and cannons. These cannot be stopped by the kind of light shields used by the Vikings and increasingly were threats even to mail armor (with or without padding)

Finally while I do agree with Jean that this debate includes the usual misunderstanding of positions what I saw on the start of this thread were a lot of categorical denials of textile armor being used by Vikings, which now seems to have evolved into a slightly more nuanced position that it's unlikely. Bottom line is we don't know. But I'm sick of people trying to shut down these discussions as if by religious fiat, and sorry Dan, if you don't have proof of your position you can't state it as fact whether it's a negative or a positive. If I say there isn't any iron in the core of the Earth I'd still have to prove it.

We have a lot of people here with a lot of knowledge, we are all interested in history, why does everyone have to get so personally invested in so many of these types of discussions? Outside of re-enactor group politics which I could care less about, does it really matter to us whether Longbows could pierce platemail or not? No it doesn't, because whatever the actual fact is, IS what happened. We can't go back and change it, it is part of the history that made us who we are and got us here to argue on the internet. We can't change history no matter how much we'd like to. We can't control history because 'the truth will out". I think we'd all get along better and have more fun discussions if rather than trying to bend history to suit our own wishes, we allowed ourselves to search for what it actually was, the chase is challenging enough for many lifetimes, it's an elusive target we will never quite catch.

J

* arming coats whatever you know what I mean

Last edited by Jean Henri Chandler on Tue 27 Jan, 2009 2:59 pm; edited 1 time in total
Jean Henri Chandler

PostPosted: Tue 27 Jan, 2009 11:00 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Someone also mentioned in the thread already that there are numerous references in insular Irish literature to textile armor in battles which included Vikings.

J

Dan Howard

PostPosted: Tue 27 Jan, 2009 1:22 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

IMO an item cannot be defined as "armour" unless it is specifically designed to resist damage. So thick winter clothing is not armour even though it does provide some level of protection. An aketon is not armour since it is not designed to be worn on its own. It acts as a foundation for mail to improve comfort, reduce chafing and (in some circumstances) reduce blunt trauma. My point about the under-padding is related to whether a garment was designed specifically to be worn under mail (e.g. aketon) or whether the same function was performed with regular clothing - perhaps a few layers. Nobody is saying that Vikings wore mail against naked skin so something was worn underneath. Was it clothing or was it some sort of purpose-built aketon? Given the available evidence, regular clothing is more likely.
Dan Howard

PostPosted: Tue 27 Jan, 2009 1:26 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

sorry Dan, if you don't have proof of your position you can't state it as fact whether it's a negative or a positive. If I say there isn't any iron in the core of the Earth I'd still have to prove it.

It is impossible to prove a negative. I'd have to disprove the existence of iron in the core by demonstrating what IS in the earth's core. A more circuitous method is to speculate on the results of an iron core and see if those effects actually exist. For example if the core shows no sign of being magnetic then it cannot consist of iron.
Gary Teuscher

PostPosted: Tue 27 Jan, 2009 2:10 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Quote:
Also, I disagree Gary, there is one major difference between the Iron Age battlefields and the later Medieval battlefields. The primary threat for most troops in both cases was not spears at all but missiles. In the Iron Age these would be mostly low-energy missiles, i.e. primarily javelins. Thats not to say they don't hit hard especially thrown at short range, but at longer range could be stopped with shields. By the Medieval period increasingly very high energy missiles; long bows, very powerful winch spanned crossbows, recurve composite bows, and by the time plate armor began arriving, firearms and cannons. These cannot be stopped by the kind of light shields used by the Vikings and increasingly were threats even to mail armor (with or without padding)

This depends much on what place and time in history you are looking at. The "beginning" of quilted gambesons/aketons being worn in NW europe is somewhere around the enf of the 11th century.

The other thing is what you mean by "iron age" when discussing Vikings, but my thoughts have been in the 800-1000 or so AD range.

The threats faced by for the most part were the same. The spear was the common foot weapon, along with swords and axes. There was not a great amount of threats from either high powered crossbows or archery during the latter 11th-13th or so centuries.

As far as archery goes, the Vikings were well known for their use of the Bow. One found bow (there are very very few of these) was I believe estimated to be used in the 10th century. It was a yew bow of longbow dimensions, estimated pull of about 100 pounds. We don't know if this was a standard bow, but until other evidence surfaces there is no reason to assume it was not. With this a common Viking weapon, they certainly faced "Hi powered" archery during this time. The crossbows in the 11th-13th century were not overly powerful to begin with, but even by the end of this period (13th century) the most common method of spanning was the belt claw, and these weapon were probably not a whole lot more effective than the Viking bow above, they were limited by muscle power and had shorter spans than a self bow.

Even if the crossbows were somewhat more effective, from most of the battle recounts I have read crossbowman were usually not overly numerous in armies during this time (an exception was the Italian communal armies), and there are very few battles I have read about where the crossbow played a decisive role, other than a few crusader battles.

The one area I will give bowfire being a predominant threat was the Crusades. It is interesting that perhaps the "new" gambeson/aketon came from the near east. Maybe it was much more effective at helping mail defend against arrows than the "hypothesized" later version of something akin to a subramalis.

But melee combat was usually in most battles were one was injured or killed during both of these times, and the threats in melee were very similar, the spear being the predominant one.

Now the later Middle ages with England fielding large armies of Lonbowmen, and Itialian crossbowmen as mercenaries may have caused a larger missile threat, but more in these specific areas. As far as the ultra Hi powered crossbowmen - there are a few contemporary literary references of city armouries being asked to replace their wooden crossbows with steel ones in the 15th century, so the heavy windlass crossbow while there was still perhaps not the most common crossbow encountered.

Quote:
My point about the under-padding is related to whether a garment was designed specifically to be worn under mail (e.g. aketon) or whether the same function was performed with regular clothing - perhaps a few layers.

This is probably a big point in our difference of opinion, Dan. I look at an Aketon as part of ones armour - even if only designed to be worn under. I think some of the tests from the Knight and the Blast furnace that show how much more effective mail is with padding has me looking at it more this way.

Even if one wore a thick woolen tunic designed to be worn ubder mail - I.E. it is not worn unless worn with armour, and it is worn in hot weather when clothing of this type would not be worn, I look at it as armour, or at least part of ones armour

If it is the standard tunic one runs around in, and one would wear it in absence of armour then no, I do not consider this armour.

I think that's one reason I look at the Subarmalis is armour - it's described, depending on source as thick cloth, possibly felt, also depending on how interpreted with leather either in addition to it or as an integrated part of it. As leather over or combined with felt was not common wear that I know of, this is clearly to me part of ones armour.

BTW - Anyone know of any references of these Roman ""underarmour" garments being worn in place of metal armour for less well equipped troops?
Jean Henri Chandler

PostPosted: Tue 27 Jan, 2009 2:33 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

The Norse were essentially a culture emerging from the Iron Age, the Iron Age is usually considered to have lasted in Northern Europe until around 800 AD

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iron_Age_Scandinavia

The Norse did have longbows going way, way back, in fact the longbow may have originated in Scandinavia, but we have very little evidence of massed use of longbows in battles during the period 800 AD - 1000 AD, though they probably did encounter them and use them. As you said, they are rare up to that point.

The predominant weapon on the European battlefield from Viking times back to the Bronze Age was the javelin and other thrown missiles (fransisca axes, pilum, darts, plumbata, rocks etc.). Archers were generally specialist troops and were not that widespread, except in the East, and some places like Crete. Same for slingers who were recruited from the Baeleric isles etc.. The Romans of course also used Artillery, which the Byzantines kept using. But in Northern Europe from Halsstadt / Roman Republican times through the battle of Hastings the javelin was king of the battlefield, opposing armies would shower each other with javelins before shock infantry or cavalry was ever deployed. In many cases it was these low-energy missiles that decided the day, the infantry charge was done to rout the crumbling enemy.

Higher-energy missiles began appearing in widespread use shortly after the Viking age, at least by the time of the 1st Crusade. This was as siginifcant of a change on the battlefield as the rise of heavy cavalry and later, pike and halberd armed infantry (high energy missiles)

Longbows started to be used more intensively ating from the Anglo-Norman conquest of Wales in the 12th Century. By the time of Edward I (13th Century) they were already a major part of the English armies.

Crossbows, granted not necessarily cranequin powered until later but still very powerful and much higher energy than a javelin, were widespread by the 12th Century, in many regions of Europe not just Italian cities. The famous Eccclesiastical interdict against using them on Christians in the Lateran council was in 1139 AD.

Powerful recurvie composite bows were also forcibly introduced into Europe by the Mongols in the 12th Century.

By the end of the 13th Century very, very powerful Arbalests (crossbows), initially made of composite organic materials and later spring steel, and early firearms were appearing in battlefields across Europe, followed by cannon. By the end of the 14th they were all widespread.

J

Last edited by Jean Henri Chandler on Tue 27 Jan, 2009 3:14 pm; edited 5 times in total
Josh Warren

PostPosted: Tue 27 Jan, 2009 2:36 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I have indeed followed the entire thread.

Look, no offense guys, but your position that the Viking-age Norse wore some sort of dedicated padding under their mail seems based on a combination of wishful thinking and leftover Victorian "mail-is-useless-without-padding" supposition. The notion that mail was always worn with padding may need to be consigned to the same rubbish bin in which we now place other results of outdated scholarship like Ffoulkes' "banded mail" or leather lorica segmentata, etc.

Seriously, I just don't see any firm evidence presented that should cause anyone to believe that Vikings wore anything more than a tunic or two under their byrnies. Anecdotal evidence from modern re-enactment experience just doesn't cut it. The "absence of evidence isn't evidence of absence" tactic isn't convincing either--that's the last refuge of a losing argument.

Can you present anything in the way of proof to support your position? Anything at all beyond statements like "...we should not assume the Vikings were not intelligent enough to realize this?" Intelligence or the lack thereof has nothing to do with it. We just have to accept that, in the total absence of any evidence to support the idea of Viking mail padding, we must conclude that it simply didn't exist. Arriving at any conclusion beyond that is impossible given our current understanding of their material culture. Any other position is untenable.

Nobody's trying to "shut down" discussion of the topic; nobody "doesn't want" Vikings to have not had mail padding. I don't do Viking re-enactment and have no dog in the fight--I only care because I feel that the reasons for holding on to the belief that they used mail padding amount to tenuous evidence at best. Concluding that it "is possible" that they used it is enough of a stretch, but to conclude that it was "likely" that they did? Come on; that's going a bit far given the solid evidence available to us, don't you think?

Non Concedo
Jean Henri Chandler

PostPosted: Tue 27 Jan, 2009 2:58 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

There has been plenty of evidence cited in the thread, I really don't care if you choose to ignore it.

You say it's a 'stretch' to assume that it was even possible for them to have textile under-armor OR textile armor (I'm not ruling out either). Based on what precisely? What makes it so nearly impossible? They didn't have textiles? or they didn't know how to sew? Or they had never heard of such a thing? Or (excuse me for laughing) it was too expensive? Or too hot? Give me a break.

We have already pointed out that precious little 'Viking' armor of any type has been found including that made of much more durable materials, nor other textile armors we know were used (linothorax) even though we know it was widely used in other areas (and in a drier environment). Very little clothing survives from the Norse either. This is because they were living 1000 years or more in the past and not that much textile (or even iron) survives that long.

Why don't you please provide some evidence for your argument that it's a 'stretch'.

Yes I'm certainly arguing it's plausible. I'd personally even drift over into likely, but the fact is as I've pointed out more than once in this thread, we simply don't know. Unlike you I'm not trying to pretend we have a concrete vision of every aspect of life 1000 years ago.

The issue of plausibility does boil down to how effective mail is with and without padding underneath. Comparing the conclusion that it is significantly more effective with padding than without with the idea of banded mail or leather lorica is cute, why stop there, why not compare it to ninjas cutting battleships in half with Samurai swords. Viking Kittens rowing to the tune of Led Zeppelin. Does that go far enough? This is in fact an attempt to shut down the debate by belittling anyone who discusses evidence you don't like or supports those who have. I'm not intimidated by it. In fact I'll call your bluff.

We just had an exhaustive test on mail and textile armor posted to this forum, there have been many, many others done by Erik Schmid, Royal Armory at Leeds, numerous HEMA groups and re-enactors. Maybe you could post an alternative demonstrating that mail was comparably effective with and without textiles underneath against the type of weapons faced by 8th-11th century Norse. Spears for example. I'd actually be very interested to see it. Meanwhile you will pardon me if I don't take your sarcastic remarks seriously.

Intelligence may not play a role in the development of weapons and armor, but trial and error does. Your argument hinges on the idea that the people in Scandinavia, who fought and traded over nearly a third of the planet, never figured out that mail armor worked better with padding underneath, unlike basically every other culture which used it.

J

Last edited by Jean Henri Chandler on Tue 27 Jan, 2009 3:30 pm; edited 1 time in total
Gary Teuscher

PostPosted: Tue 27 Jan, 2009 3:09 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

At the risk of going off topic, Big Grin

Quote:
The Norse did have longbows going way, way back, in fact the longbow may have originated in Scandinavia, but we have very little evidence of massed use of longbows in battles during the period 800 AD - 1000 AD, though they probably did encounter them and use them. As you said, they are rare up to that point.

We do have evidence of the widespread of of Archery by Vikings in battle. I could give many examples, if you need them please ask. The only finds of Viking bows to my knowledge were of longbow proportions. We could assume that we have only found the ones that resembled longbows, or we could assume this was the most common bow type used by vikings.

Quote:
Longbows started to be used more intensively ating from the Anglo-Norman conquest of Wales in the 12th Century. By the time of Edward I they were already a major part of the English armies.

Depends what you mean by a longbow. From what I know, the Welsh bows were even a fair amount shorter than the traditional longbow. What made the Welsh archers unusual was the deployment of a large group of archers by the english. I would say archers were a decent sized component of English Armies by Edward I, but basing the amount of Viking archers on requirements of arms when crewing a ship, they were even more numerous among Viking armies.

Quote:
Crossbows, granted not necessarily cranequin powered until later but still very powerful and much higher energy than a javelin, were widespread by the 12th Century, in many regions of Europe not just Italian cities. The famous Eccclesiastical interdict against using them on Christians in the Lateran council was in 1139 AD.

The famous ban applied to both archers and crossbowmen. And as far as the Javelin goes, it is shortranged, but look at its force exerted in comparison with a longbow. Williams uses an Olympic competitors throw, (similar weight to middle ages javelins), but even if you take 1/2 of the kinetic energy it still is over 150% of tested longbows in KE. I certainly would not call it a low energy missile weapon!

The crossbow, if you look at draw weight and draw length, was similar in performance to that of a longbow (a bit better, though not by a huge amount), up until devices more advanced than the belt claw came into use. A belt claw limits draw weight with most people to not much over 300 pounds - combine with a short draw length, it's KE is not much better than that of a longbow.

Quote:
Powerful recurvie composite bows were also forcibly introduced into Europe by the Mongols in the 12th Century.

Mid 13th, unless speaking of Russia, though I'd argue the bows of the far earlier Huns, magyars, avars, etc. etc. were of similar power.

Josh, you strongly critisize others for having little evidence or being able to document what they state, while your statement has no documentation whatsoever. I would take time to respond to it, but it is a rant, not much of anything else. If you indeed have read the entire thread, you are merely picking out what you want out of it because you have come to conclusion prior to reading the entire post.

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Viking padding
Page 5 of 10 Reply to topic
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: