Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Viking padding Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next 
James Barker

PostPosted: Wed 14 Jan, 2009 11:01 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Legio XX is local to me and I have gone to Roman Days; only some of it's members wear one.

Let’s be clear that Legio XX makes it an option not mandatory. Matt the fellow in the images may show up and comment on this himself as he is on this forum.

James Barker
Historic Life http://www.historiclife.com/index.html
Archer in La Belle Compagnie http://www.labelle.org/
Gary Teuscher

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Wed 14 Jan, 2009 11:42 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Quote:
Let’s be clear that Legio XX makes it an option not mandatory.

Never said it was mandatory. Though as they go to lengths to show how to make one, it at least is viewed as something that was worn. Legio's piece itself cites several written references to it, as well as the thorocomachus referenced around the time of the battle of Adrianople.

I'm not sure what else would be needed to come to an agreement that garments like this were worn under armour. I guess one could ask for an actual find of one, but bearing in mind the fact it is constructed of textiles and possibly leather, only a very complete find of one would be clear that it was a Subarmalis, not clothing. Perhaps not even then so. And this would be very unlikley to be able to find something like this in anywhere near pristine condition, the only finds likely would be traces or threads.

Holding the evidence of a Subarmalis to this stringent of guidelines would also I guess make there no proof that the Greek Linothorax was ever worn as well.
James Barker

PostPosted: Wed 14 Jan, 2009 11:52 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Matt's page also says the 4th century reference could be a weapon; it is all guess work. Matt being the researcher of that info can comment better on how good the references really are.

However this is a big tangent; even if some Romans had them it does not make it standard issue and this still does not prove the Scandinavians had this military tech hundreds of years later.

James Barker
Historic Life http://www.historiclife.com/index.html
Archer in La Belle Compagnie http://www.labelle.org/
Gary Teuscher

PostPosted: Wed 14 Jan, 2009 12:36 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I agree James it went way off tangent. Big Grin

BTW - I don't think it was the fourth century reference that says it may have been a weapon, as it goes into detail about the construction of leather and cloth. It's more likley that one of the earlier handful of references to the Subarmalis that are a bit vague, though apparently the other early references to it are not as vague.

While this is a tangent, there were references earlier though that it's pure specualtion that the Romans wore a padded undergarment, which I was adressing. From the information we have, I certainly don't believe it's specualtion, though the exact construction of one we have some infomation on but not any exact descriptions of.

My whole point of this is that padding had been worn under metal armour by many cultures for a long period of time. As it was worn by Romans, it's no big stretch that their Allies who were later enemies also wore something similar. After all, many of the legionairres of the later Roman period were often Germanic tribesmen themselves.

Bearing this in mind, these Germanics either quit wearing at after their association with Rome, or else they continued wearing something like this through the middle ages.

With this I don't think it's any stretch to think the Vikings would have been doing something similar. Maybe some had a true dedicated piece similar to a subarmalis, maybe some just wore a thinck woolen tunic.

If we are looking for any proof the Vikings wore this under mail, we won't find any. Just some questionable references in a saga.

Though if they did not, they were some of the only Northwestern Europeans not wearing a padded type garment under their mail, unless we assume that the Germanic tribesmen, particularily those who were legionairres, stopped wearing something similar to a subarmalis after their association with Rome.

The other issue for me is that something akin to a subarmalis will look extremely similar to clothing in any illustration, and even a find of such a garment will be almost indistinguishable from clothing. So in all likleyhood we will never have true "proof" of something like this being worn by Vikings, regardless of whether it was or not.

Not that this is evidence, but is anyone aware of any refereces in some of the earlier germanic sagas such as Beowulf or Sigurd that mention anything regarding underarmour, padded jackets or anything of the like?
Dan Howard

Spotlight topics: 2

PostPosted: Wed 14 Jan, 2009 1:17 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Gary Teuscher wrote:
Bearing this in mind, these Germanics either quit wearing at after their association with Rome, or else they continued wearing something like this through the middle ages.

OR... nothing like this was ever worn under mail by Romans or Byzantines - only under other types of armour such as segmentata and lamellar. So the Germans are, in fact, continuing the tradition of wearing regular clothing under their mail.
Gary Teuscher

PostPosted: Wed 14 Jan, 2009 1:53 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Quote:
OR... nothing like this was ever worn under mail by Romans or Byzantines - only under other types of armour such as segmentata and lamellar.

This could surely be possible. But as lammelar and segmentata are best able to provide protection from blunt trauma on their own, and mail offers the least protection here, and nothing seems to indicate it was not worn under mail (nothing indicates it was designed for wear under lammelar and segmentata only), this would not seem to be the case.

I think it is pretty much of a stretch to assume the Roman padded garments were only worn under lammelar and sementata, not mail.

All that being said, it is still pretty much an educated guess that Vikings probably wore some type of padding under mail, but if they did not they were likely very much in the minority.

The other thing I wonder, though nothing that I know say one thing or another about this, but was the subarmalis ever worn in the later period by soldiers as stand alone armour? I know there was a relative dearth of metal armour in the empire among foot at this point.

The other thing for any discussions about padded garments in the 7th to 11th centuries - While we have clear illustrations of what the gambeson was, and it's tell tale stitching is very easy to recognize, earlier padded type garments like the subarmalis are more difficult to define by illustrations. If worn, they could easily appear to be normal clothing. We have the Saxons in the Bayeaux Tapestry where Harold's brothers are killed wearing the either armour or clothing with the diamond shaped patterns on them, but have no idea what this means. It clearly does not look like the illustrations of mail on the tapestry, and also looks far different from the archers, who are wearing what look like cloth tunics (other than the one mailed archer). But what these diamond shaped tunics are is a good question. Bad illustrations of scale? Or an illustration of garments quilted in a diamond pattern?

It seems as though the Gambeson with familiar tubular ribbing seemed to have been illustrated shortly following the 1st crusade. was this merely a new type of quilted or padded garment, a new style based on exposures to the Moslems and changing as being a cotton based garment? Or was this a new introduction of even the idea of wearing padded garments? I'd lean more to the first but of course this is debateable.

Maybe the gambeson was more effective than earlier quilted garments. It has been mentioned that the ribbing of a gambeson makes it better at stopping arrows. Maybe the use of cotton in such garments was a new idea. I'd be fine going along with the idea that a padded garment made the same way as a gambeson was not worn before this time. There are also references to gambeson type garments worn as armour, though with 15-30 layers of linen. I don't believe these were made in the tubular fashion of a gambeson, and I'm not sure what they would have looked like in period illustrations. The other problem is earlier illustrations (prior to the 12th century or so) are more abstract, later illustrations being more detailed and lifelike for the most part. This also makes it tougher to determine what exactly is meant by the illustrations.
Dan Howard

PostPosted: Wed 14 Jan, 2009 10:28 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I think you might be confusing gambesons and aketons. A gambeson was standalone armour. It was never intended to be worn under mail and was to thick for such use. Try it and you'll look like Kenny in his parka. Aketons and pourpoints were worn under mail and had much less padding. The thickness of these are not much different to a couple of layers of clothing.
David Huggins

PostPosted: Thu 15 Jan, 2009 12:56 am    Post subject: viking padding         Reply with quote

Just rambling now...Related by a friend, it took a Swedish lady friend experimenting with linen fabric reproduction a total of 10 square meters of flax to make linen about the size of a table clothe, say perhaps one layer of padding, so multiple layers required for padding or armour in the form of the so called linothrax would require a massive area to make just one!

Silk has been mentoned in this thread, but in the viking age it was very expensive and was a luxury item in the North, used sparingly for trim on clothing and making small items, a couple of onces of silk worth an almost equal amount in silver.
Wool and leather seem a reasonable alternative as products for a paded garment in my mind,or as has been suggested, layers of combined leather, wool and linen. Still this garment could prove very expensive.

Perhaps there could have been a level of machismo, armour been shunned by some, as suggested by Paddy Griffiths remarking in his book The Viking Art of War on the lack of helmet finds.

Don't know if that is a convincing argument though, how many Roman helmets have actually been found, perhaps not enough to kit out a cohort, a legion?

and he who stands and sheds blood with us, shall be as a brother.
Elling Polden

PostPosted: Thu 15 Jan, 2009 5:56 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

In the 13th c, the laws distinguish between "Våpentøye" (weapon shirt) and Panzar (protection). Both are made in the same way, from soft canvas, but the Panzar is sleeveless. They are somtimes mentioned as "Weapon shirt AND Panzar", most likely signifying that they where worn on top of each other.

All the sagas where written in the 13th c, with some exceptions, so the litterary references are a bit shak. Without written sources, how acurately would we be able to describe warfare in the 17th century, even if we studdied it?

In my experience, a well made mail shirt (one that weighs 10 kg or less) is actually more comfortable and less tiring to wear without padding.
Keep in mind that dark age warriors didn't fight THAT much, and spent more time hanging around with their kit than we (reenactors) do. Thus, comfort and convenience becomes more of an issue.
They where also not tied into a strong chain or command, or subject to much dicipline , so what the individual man wore would be much more left to himself. The laws that decide spesifically what a warrior should own and wear except for his "Peoples weapons" (shield, spear, hand weapon) don't show up until the 1270's.

Another issue is that if one used square stitched cloth armour in the dark ages, one must at some point have STOPPED making them, burned them all, and made new ones. (along witht he leather braces, lammelars, eastern style helmets and big baggy pants. Theoretically this happened as a spontanous act of grief after the death of (st) Olav Haraldson in 1030)

"this [fight] looks curious, almost like a game. See, they are looking around them before they fall, to find a dry spot to fall on, or they are falling on their shields. Can you see blood on their cloths and weapons? No. This must be trickery."
-Reidar Sendeman, from King Sverre's Saga, 1201
J Horn

PostPosted: Thu 15 Jan, 2009 7:14 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

In response to Ellings post:
The idea that Viking age warriors did not fight as much as re enactors is pure speculation as many small skirmishes would have been unlikely to have been recorded. Pollington comments on the low number of recorded battles per generation (something like 2 or 3) and that unrecorded skirmishes could have been much more common. Also with the idea that a Hird or Housecarl would do nothing except fight for his jarl (no day to day labour) it seems unlikely that they would not be training for war whenever they were unoccupied - although this is speculation. Also with the the large Trelleborg style fortresses in Scandinavia it is quite possible to believe that there was more organisation of Viking armies (at least in the later period) than we give them credit for. Having an army of that size requires much organization.

Back to the subject at hand there has been some research into the subject leather tanning and leather armour - Esther Cameron shows that the leather of finds of scabbards, sheaths and other leather items was often incompletely tanned. It is quite possible that some technology of leather tanning was lost after the downfall of the Roman empire. This to me questions the possiblity of its use for armour.

Whilst their have been numerous finds of shoes, scabbards and sheaths from numerous sites of the Viking period just because there are no finds of armour leather or cloth cannot rule out their existence. For a reenactor though we are supposed to be portraying what we know - not what we do not.

Johnny
Gary Teuscher

PostPosted: Thu 15 Jan, 2009 9:27 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Quote:
I think you might be confusing gambesons and aketons. A gambeson was standalone armour.

Good point Dan. Blush

I Always get those two mixed up.

J Horn wrote:

Quote:
Also with the idea that a Hird or Housecarl would do nothing except fight for his jarl (no day to day labour) it seems unlikely that they would not be training for war whenever they were unoccupied - although this is speculation. Also with the the large Trelleborg style fortresses in Scandinavia it is quite possible to believe that there was more organisation of Viking armies (at least in the later period) than we give them credit for.

Exactly! I'm not sure what other duties they had for the Hird, I know tax collecting was one of their non-martial duties, or at least it is mentioneda few times. I found some interesting stuff in a piece somewhere that had land for Hird members, but they seemed to be stationed with their King or Jarl most of the time. This may have been similar to a money fief, although there is a mention of a muster where Hird members are absent becuse they were "away at their lands", which would look more like a feudal knight and manor type situation. Seems like some had lands that they were rarely at, and others apparently did spend time on their own "land". But either way there seemed to be a decent degree of centralization for the Hird.

Ellen Polding wrote:

Quote:
so what the individual man wore would be much more left to himself. The laws that decide spesifically what a warrior should own and wear except for his "Peoples weapons" (shield, spear, hand weapon) don't show up until the 1270's.

I'd agree here. There may have been "norms" to a point of what many wore under mail - but certainly a good amount of individual choice.

Quote:
Silk has been mentoned in this thread, but in the viking age it was very expensive and was a luxury item in the North, used sparingly for trim on clothing and making small items, a couple of onces of silk worth an almost equal amount in silver.
Wool and leather seem a reasonable alternative as products for a paded garment in my mind,or as has been suggested, layers of combined leather, wool and linen. Still this garment could prove very expensive.

I'd agree silk was expensive, but how expensive? There have been finds of full garments of silk in Viking burials. While silk is expensive, so was armour. How expensive it was, how effective it would have been as part of a mutilayered garment, and if the Vikings realized it's protective qualities would all factor in to if it was used.

I lean toward wool/linen as the most likely undergarment. I guess the one reason I give any credence to leather being used in the construction is the the roman padded garments seem to have used this in their construction, and anything the vikings wore could have been influenced by this, making it's way from germanic mercenaries northward, and the only other reason I think it is possible is the saga mention, though of course as pointed out that's very debateable as to if it in any way references real armour of the period.
Lafayette C Curtis

Reading list: 7 books

PostPosted: Sun 18 Jan, 2009 9:30 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Aren't we mixing up "padding" with "padded garments" here? As far as I'm concerned, ordinary clothing worn beneath mail is padding, even though it might not be a padded garment at all....
Hadrian Coffin
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Sun 18 Jan, 2009 9:55 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Quote:
I think you might be confusing gambesons and aketons. A gambeson was standalone armour. It was never intended to be worn under mail and was to thick for such use. Try it and you'll look like Kenny in his parka. Aketons and pourpoints were worn under mail and had much less padding. The thickness of these are not much different to a couple of layers of clothing.

Not exactly....
Medieval texts often mix the two up. There was no set "rule" as to which was which. There is one text that mentions putting on a gambeson then maille then another gambeson. So a gambeson could be padding under (or over) maille. Also as standalone armour. There also seems to be some confusion in medieval texts between jacks and gambesons. Like I said there is no set rule.
Dan Howard

PostPosted: Tue 20 Jan, 2009 3:30 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hadrian Coffin wrote:
Not exactly....
Medieval texts often mix the two up. There was no set "rule" as to which was which. There is one text that mentions putting on a gambeson then maille then another gambeson. So a gambeson could be padding under (or over) maille. Also as standalone armour. There also seems to be some confusion in medieval texts between jacks and gambesons. Like I said there is no set rule.

Yes I know and most people here know this. My point is that there were two distinct garments which serve two different functions. You can call them anything you want but to save confusion modern scholars need specific definitions and if everyone uses the same terms there is no confusion. One garment was designed to be worn UNDER armour. I call this an aketon. There was another completely different garment which was intended to be worn as standalone armour. It was much heavier and this is what is seen in the relevant illustrations. I call this a gambeson.

It is whether the vikings made use of a garment that is hereby defined as an "aketon" that is being questioned. It has been demonstrated that it is not necessary and that well tailored mail works perfectly well with regular clothing.
David Huggins

PostPosted: Wed 21 Jan, 2009 5:08 am    Post subject: Viking Padding         Reply with quote

Gary Tesher asked how expensive silk was.

Silk 1 oz 37 Anglo-saxon silver pennies weight 57gram modern value £740 Sterling

A mail shirt 529 Anglo-Saxon silver pennies weight 820gram modern value £10,580 Sterling

Source 'Viking Weapons and Warfare' J.K.Siddorn crediting B.Levick's orignal research published in Regia Anglorum Periodic JournaL 'Clamavi'

best
Dave

and he who stands and sheds blood with us, shall be as a brother.
Dan Howard

PostPosted: Sat 24 Jan, 2009 12:23 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

It is always possible that viking mail had integrated padding. IMO a lot more historical metal armour had integrated padding than we think. Any illustration showing mail with some sort of edging probably has an integrated padded liner.
Sean Manning

PostPosted: Sat 24 Jan, 2009 12:19 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I was just reading Blair's European Armour, and I noticed evidence that even in the 13th century, some soldiers wore mail over ordinary clothing. One scene in the Maciejowski Bible shows a youth in arming cap, tunic, and hose pulling on a hauberk. You can see inside the hood and the bottom rim of the hauberk, and there is no sign of an integral lining. Have a look here.

The idea that some mail had integral padding does make sense.
Jean Henri Chandler

PostPosted: Mon 26 Jan, 2009 11:35 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

C. Gadda wrote:
Dan Howard wrote:
Gary Teuscher wrote:
I feel comfortable (as do some of the authors on the reading list) that Vikings very well could have used some form of layered textile/padding/hide garment for protection.

Of course they COULD have. They also could have been to Japan and trained to be a ninja. Until the evidence presents itself to support this theory, it is best to stick with what we know. Plenty of people have testified to the comfort of simply wearing a heavy woollen tunic under their mail. All else is empty speculation without supporting evidence.

FWIW the better your mail is tailored, the less padding you need to wear. Most "mail" I've seen is nothing more than a tube with sleeves and has nothing in common with what was actually worn historically. Unless your mail is tailored to fit a human torso then any lack of comfort is not the fault of your undergarment.

However, this is not primarily an issue of comfort! This is really a matter of common sense regarding the viability of maille as a protective garment against significant armed threats, including impalement and dismemberment, and especially blunt force trauma!

As I recall, the world’s leading expert on the subject of maille armour, Erik Schmid, has stated something to the effect that maille without padding is “worthless.” (I am quoting from memory, but that specifically sticks in my mind) Assuming that no new evidence has surfaced to revise that claim, then we are left with a quandary: either Erik is in some fashion wrong, and blunt trauma is not a threat when wearing just maille by itself with no significant padding, or the Vikings as a people were somehow unintelligent, or perhaps just excessively “macho” and would do their best to simply “rub some dirt in it and walk it off” after receiving a ruptured spleen, cracked or broken ribs, etc. whilst wearing maille sans padding. Or maybe all of their Anglo Saxon, etc. enemies were just effeminate sissies who could not swing a sword or axe forcefully enough to do meaningful harm...

Seriously, though, consider the evidence of Williams “Knight and the Blast Furnace”, pp 942-943. One of the impact tests performed was on a piece of 15th century mail backed with padding. This required a 170 J swing from a simulated halberd to breach. On page 943 (see pp. 934-935 for rationale) the padding is estimated to contribute 80 J – or nearly HALF of the overall protective value of the armour. Thus, as a matter of documented scientific fact, padding plays a significant role in the overall protection offered by maille; without padding, that protection is vastly diminished.

I also find it disingenuous to suggest that the theory that Vikings did indeed wear some kind of padding is in anyway equivalent to suggesting that they went to Japan and trained as ninjas. This is as absurd as it is unhelpful.

For starters, garments of any kind are seldom found, and then usually only in fragments under isolated circumstances. While combined with artistic depictions we do have a moderately good idea of what was worn, it is far, far from a complete picture. Based on the scanty evidence one simply cannot rule out the existence of a gambeson-type of garment. One cannot prove it, but one is in no position to *disprove* it, either. In this case, then, where perhaps something on the order of 1/1000th of 1% of all clothing made in this period actually survives and has been recovered in some fashion or another, coupled with the mundanity of “undergarments”, I utterly fail to see why absence of evidence should in any way be construed as evidence of absence. The logic is lacking, here. By my estimates, the score is 0-0.

But here is the tie-breaker: based on our current scientific knowledge of both human physiology and mediaeval armour capabilities (the latter clearly outlined above) we know that maille functions poorly without some degree of padding behind it. Why? Primarily two things: blunt force trauma and having the rings driven into unprotected flesh, which could easily result in serious injury or death (whether due to bleeding or more slowly due to infection).

As I do not accept the proposition that my distant ancestors were utter morons, there are only two possibilities left: either they did indeed wear padding under their maille like everyone else in recorded history with an IQ greater than room temperature has done, or Erik Schmid and Alan Williams do not know what they are talking about.

If one insists on clinging to the notion that maille can be effective without padding (for which at present none exists), then you need to disprove both of the aforementioned gents. Given that they have done a good deal more research than probably 99% of everyone on this forum combined (including especially the two of us, Dan) and are backed further by the immutable laws of physics, I can only say: “Good luck with that.”

Otherwise, let us safely conclude that the Vikings did indeed wear some sort of padded garment under their maille. What form it took is unknown, as no known artefacts survive (or they might, but have been mis-identified, an all too common occurrence). But exist it did, nonetheless.

POST SCRIPT: I reserve the right to ruthlessly and utterly disavow the above should good evidence be brought to light that I am wrong. Not expecting that to happen but one can never be too sure in these uncertain times.

Very well said. I don't know why anyone has to be so categorical about this, or the idea that the Vikings were so limited, but the historical record seems to show us more and more evidence that tends to make the picture more rather than less interesting and complex.

J

Books and games on Medieval Europe Codex Integrum

Codex Guide to the Medieval Baltic Now available in print
Jean Henri Chandler

PostPosted: Mon 26 Jan, 2009 12:36 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Gary, I just want to say you have been the voice of reason through this whole thread. I think for some re-enactors this is an issue they are literally invested in, as any chance in theoretical kit of the historical 'Vikings' then requries changes to kit for thousands of re-enactors and numerous cascading arguments.

I haven't seen a single argument from the usual group who tries to shut down such discussions as the likelyhood of padded garments worn underneath armor by the Norse that stood up to common sense analysis. Just a lot ot games with semantics, segues way out into the Roman army and back, anything to derail the topic.

Only cotton is used as fill? Please. People have used everything from hemp, to horse hair, to felt, to wool as padding within and under armor. Lets also keep in mind that cloth was a form of currency in Iceland for example, in the sagas most of the deals were done with so many ells of flax. It's also worth pointing out the Greeks used armor (linothorax) made enitrely of layers of linen hardened with vinegar or urine ( just like that example of 'harsh wine'.)

No archeological evidence? Surviving textiles are almost non existant this far back. There has been very little mail found even though we know from literary evidence hundreds of panoplies were worn in some battles. And iron is a bit more durable than linen. As has already been asked, are we to believe they ran around naked? Maybe they didn't eat food either since we can't find much of that.

As for the reindeer hides, did anyone consider that the "enchantment' was something like a hardening process? Wink

We know the Vikings were extremely resourceful and pragmatic and quickly adapted to other cultures and other technology, earliest of all specifically military technology (the Rus horse archers among the Drushina and Norman heavy cavalry, to cite two glaring examples)

We also know they used mail for more than 400 years (at least) and yet we are expected to believe in all that time, in the service of armies as sophisticated as the Byzantines and the Khazars, fighting all over Eurasia against such diverse opponents as the Irish, the Saxons, the Moors, the Byzantines, the Khazars, the Venetians, the Arabs etc. they never learned that it was twice as effective when worn with padding underneath, when they in fact also had suitible textiles in quantity all around them?

Also lets keep in mind, Mail was not just for incidental pretection from draw cuts, I can't believe that old canard is floating around. The principle weapons on the battlefield they would need protection against would be first and foremost low-energy missiles (javelins primarily, also axes, darts, rocks etc.) a certain amount of high-energy missiles (some longbows and maybe crossbows, recurve bows on the Steppes, and in some cases such as Byzantium seige engines / artillery of the Roman type) followed by spears, and then things like axes, seaxes and swords. Most armies of this period, both in naval and land engagements, would go through a long period of showering each other with javelins and spears before one side or another charged. Many warriors who had been in a battle would never actually fight hand-to-hand but would merely endure this exchange of missiles for a period followed by either victory or defeat / fleeing.

The principle protection against missile weapons was a rather lightly made shield, the various sidearm weapons (swords /axes etc.) could chop these shields to bits quickly and could and did go around both the shields and the armor normally to kill an armored opponent, since armor was rarely worn on the lower legs or hands etc. Perhaps it is not a coincidence so many Viking swords got names like "Foot biter" and "leg cutter" in the sagas.... (this also famously backed up by Wisby excavation)

Basically, I just want to thank the people who contributed to the actual discussion of this topic, I think either you can look at this with common sense, or you can play semantic games, I guess it depends if you are interested in the actual history or if it's more important to win an argument (or have a certain type of kit for your ren faire)

J

Jean Henri Chandler

PostPosted: Mon 26 Jan, 2009 1:01 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Dan Howard wrote:
It is always possible that viking mail had integrated padding. IMO a lot more historical metal armour had integrated padding than we think. Any illustration showing mail with some sort of edging probably has an integrated padded liner.

This is possible, it certain shows up with Russian armor which is a direct link to the Eastern Norse.

J

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Viking padding
Page 4 of 10 Reply to topic
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: