Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Viking padding Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next 
Jean Henri Chandler

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Fri 30 Jan, 2009 8:40 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I apologize that my tone has gotten kind of nasty. I feel like I was responding in kind to the bizarre aggressive way the thread was being attacked, but I probably crossed over the line. I only know Dan from forums I'll decline from making estimates of his personality on that basis, since I know internet forums distort the way people come across.

I would like to be able to discuss this and similar issues without all the vitriol frankly. I'm sorry to the extent that I contributed to that.

J

Books and games on Medieval Europe Codex Integrum

Codex Guide to the Medieval Baltic Now available in print
Gary Teuscher

PostPosted: Fri 30 Jan, 2009 8:57 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Ste Kenwright wrote (actually quoted):

Quote:
The rest of the troops may be provided with coats of mail, breastplates and head coverings fashioned of felt or leather... so that the rough material does not chafe the skin, they should wear padded garments (peristedidia, lit. 'cheast-wrappers') under them, as we recommend for iron breastplates and other items."

Dan Howard wrote:

Quote:
This suggests to me that the garment was intended to be worn under rigid armour such as a metal cuirass or perhaps lamellar. Mail is not rigid.

I can't see how this conclusion could be come to regarding the above statement. It states the rest of the troops should wear coats of mail, breastplates and head coverings, and so the rough material does not chafe the skin they should wear padded garments. It says nowhere "but under mail one should not wear these things".

Matthew Amt wrote:

Quote:
For what it's worth, I see the Roman references as a sign of continuity in the use of padding under armor, since they are separated by several centuries. That does NOT necessarily support padding under armor in EARLIER times (Roman Republic, etc.),

I see this also. I look at this statement, "Among all those things which antiquity has thought of with an eye to postery for wartime use, it also conceived the thoracomachus" as clearly showing it was designed/use atarted in antiquity. It reads a bit like a "Yoda" quote, but that's what I can clearly see from it. Nothing indicates it's use is hypothetical.

Quote:
Find a website that cites its sources. You keep saying that the thoracomachus is mentioned four times so I finally call you on it and now you back off.

I did not back off, I merely stated I used the LegioXX site as a reference. I had enough faith that they were not just making up these statements that the Subramalis was referenced in other places. I looked for some references briefly, but I was hoping others could provide more specific references than the Legio site. And one thing I think we should be clear on - whether it is called a thoracomachus, Subramalis or anything else for a specific name is not what is important. I don't care what it is called in a reference, it is the fact that a padded garment is mentioned.

Your mention of an integral liner is interesting. If this were the case I would not guess they wore a seperate padded garment, but it is still padding under mail, which is really my point, padding under mail, regardless if a seperate or integral garment.

One thing I think that is important for everyone - We have not found proof that Vikings wore padding under mail, that is true. However, neither is not finding a specific reference showing this is logically not proof that they did not wear padding under mail as well. I think one thing that makes things difficult either way is a frequent mention of "coats" for Vikings. as mentioned above, the translation of these as armour or garments is an issue, as frequently padded types garments and later civilian wear garments have the same name.

But stating that a lack of clearly defined references for Vikings wearing padding under mail is proof that they did not is hardly accurate.

Daniel Staberg wrote:

Quote:
The Byzantines use greek fire, composite bows, horse archers, kataphracts and elaborate army formations in the period in question. All of which any intelligent & practicaly minded warrior would recognise brought considerable advantages in battle. Yet we don't find any evidence that the vikings using those things just as there is no evidence that the vikings used byzantine style armour padding.

greek fire - Technology issue, was also a Byzantine stae secret. No suprise the Vikings or other nations did not use it

composite bows - No need for these unless you need shorter bows for Horse Archers. A longbow (which is what the Viking bows were based on all finds) performs in a very similar fashion to a composite. Both can have similar draw weights and draw lengths. The Composite is more expensive and time consuming to make, and holds up worse under damp conditions, so there is little advantage, actually more of a disadvantage to switch over to Composites.

horse archers- They Vikings were very slow to switch over to the use of cavalry in general, it was after the Viking period before cavalry played any role in Scandanavian countries. There were many reason for this, such as transporting horse on seaborne invasions is difficult, and the most common opponents for Vikings were also infantry based armies. That being said, they seemed to do fine as an infantry army against Frankish cavalry, and there is a sucessful battle against Norman Cavalry in 1151. The Norman Victory against the Saxons was not a clear cut indicator of the superiority of cavalry over infantry any more than Adrianople was - But I would see the Saxons were weak in two specialty areas, archery and cavalry. The Vikings were effective archers, which is why IMO they fared well against the Frankish armies.
kataphracts. On the other hand, The Rus were making use of horse archery by the 10th century. I'm not sure if there were any "domestic" Rus horse archers by this time, but as their opponents were often horse archers as well, and they did not have to transport troops overseas, and had better terrain for horse archery, so they did indeed assimilate horse archery.

elaborate army formations - A few things here. I'm not sure what you mean by these elaborate formations. The Byzantine manuals do specify ideal ranks deep and things like that, but that is not elaborate IMO. They also used more of a forward at the corners crescent formation - but to be of real use, you need cavalry on the wings, not additional heavy foot. One last thing is regular troops who drill in formation is important here - the Vikings did not have the same centralization of trained regular troops, whcih made drilling like this more difficult. THat being said, they did use wedge formations from time to time.

All these are a far cry from realizing that a padded garment like the Byzantines uses was probably superior to a thick tunic under mail or a few tunics under mail. There are no technological, social or economic issues that would prevent padded garments from being assimilated.
Jean Henri Chandler

PostPosted: Fri 30 Jan, 2009 9:45 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I think the alleged lack of military sophistication by the Vikings is exxagerated.

...though I would guess that the Byzantines had more advanced tactics in 800 AD, I wouldn't necessarily be certain of it circa 1,000 AD.

It's important to remember that the Vikings not only lived well beyond the borders of Scandinavia, the VIking age lasted for a wide span of time during which many factors changed dramatically, the ubiquity of mail armor is one signficant example, as are the overall wealth of Norse people, their level of political centralization, and their degree of assimilation into the cultures of areas where they settled in Ireland, Normany, Scotland, the Baltic coast and in Russia and the Ukraine.

I belive the Osprey book I have on the Rus portrays them using what looked like composite bows carried in Gorytos like any other steppe warrior. I'll double check their sources for that tonight though, Osprey isn't always rigorously accurate.

J

Gary Teuscher

PostPosted: Fri 30 Jan, 2009 10:12 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Quote:
I think the alleged lack of military sophistication by the Vikings is exxagerated.

I agree entirely, Jean.

I think it's part of the myth of the "wild barbarians" that also has them wearing horned helmets.

I do think the Byzantine armies were more professional overall, meaning in terms of formation training. But the Viking armies were composed of a good portion of kings or Jarls Hird, and these were probably a somewhat professional force, and somewhat centralized. I would think they drilled at least to some extent in issues such as maintaining formation.

I would think they would have been at least if not more professional as the later Thematic troops of the Byzantines, though the Tagmata was likley more skilled in formation type issues.

Of course if you are fielding a large army, your formation is only about as effective as the weakest link, unless the weaker types are kept more in a reserve role.
Jean Henri Chandler

PostPosted: Fri 30 Jan, 2009 10:49 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Gary Teuscher wrote:
Quote:

I agree entirely, Jean.

I think it's part of the myth of the "wild barbarians" that also has them wearing horned helmets.

I do think the Byzantine armies were more professional overall, meaning in terms of formation training. But the Viking armies were composed of a good portion of kings or Jarls Hird, and these were probably a somewhat professional force, and somewhat centralized. I would think they drilled at least to some extent in issues such as maintaining formation.

I would think they would have been at least if not more professional as the later Thematic troops of the Byzantines, though the Tagmata was likley more skilled in formation type issues.

Of course if you are fielding a large army, your formation is only about as effective as the weakest link, unless the weaker types are kept more in a reserve role.

Don't forget the Vikinglaegs, like the semi-mythical Jomsvikings, were semi-professional bands sworn to loyalty and dedicated to warfare, with articles of conduct like those of later pirate bands. It's worth remembering that history shows us the semi-professional militia or raiding band is not necessarily less skilled or sophisticated in combat than the professional warrior. The Swiss militias demonstrated that over and over starting with the Battle of Morgarten. In fact very much as in the case with the Vikings with their longships or the Swiss with their halberd and later pikes, semi-professional common soldiers were often the key military innovaters of a given era. Consider the Hussites with their innovation of the taborite wagonberg, utilizing peasants threshing skills with flails to protect the wagons and inventing new weapons such as pistols, they were sophisticated enough to defeat multiple combined European armies during the Hussite crusades.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hussite_Wars#Wagenburg_tactics

It was often in these kind of very open, fluid environments such as that of the Vikings that military innovation flourished, rather than the opposite. Like the Swiss or the Bohemian Hussites, the Vikings were extremely pragmatic and did what worked, and were sophisticated enough to defeat the opponents of their time, including in the case of the VIkings in full scale invasions and conquest of places like Ireland and most of Britain.

J

Gary Teuscher

PostPosted: Fri 30 Jan, 2009 11:10 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

One thing I look at Jean is results of battles.

The Byzantines often won, but they also often lost. They seemed to struggle against the Normans in Italy in the early 11th century, and If they were so superior from a training and tactical standpoint this should not have been the case. They did win some engagements though. Funny, the troops that seemed to perform the best in this campaign were the Varangians!

The Normans were a pretty sound tactical bunch from what I have read, but no more a regular army any more than contemporary Viking forces would have been.

What this would indicate to me is that 1) Tactics and formation were not important in the winning of battles, or 2) European "feudal" and "Viking" armies were a lot more tactically sound then often given credit for.
Mikael Ranelius

PostPosted: Fri 30 Jan, 2009 11:39 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

On the subject of Vikings and the adoption of foreign military technology, in fact there are finds of at least one complete set of horse-archery equipment, including composite bows, excavated at the Birka garrison (source, p 56). We also got eastern-style lamellae, which evidently was in use on Gotland as late as at the battle of Visby in 1361.

Now, I’m not arguing that Scandinavian Viking armies frequently fielded units of horse archers, but at least we have hard evidence through archaeology that “foreign” military technology was known and existent in Scandinavia, and probably partially incorporated into local military systems such as the garrison at Birka.
Gary Teuscher

PostPosted: Fri 30 Jan, 2009 11:51 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Interesting stuff, Mikael! I was aware of the lammelar, but not the Horse archery equipment.

For those curious about the prevalence of the use of the bow in Viking armies, look at the amount of arrowhead finds vs. other weapon finds on page 74.
Chad Arnow
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

PostPosted: Fri 30 Jan, 2009 12:43 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Jean and Dan,
I'm sure you're both well aware of the fact that your sniping in the course of this thread has passed the bounds of what we consider acceptable here. You've both been around this forum long enough to know better and have both been warned in the past about such behavior.

Feel free to continue your spirited debate without the vitriol. If you can't, you'll find your posting privileges revoked.

The same goes for anyone else in this thread (or any thread on this site) who can't behave themselves.

There has been a lack of civility in some of the recent posts. Perhaps we're on our way toward fixing that. Let's make sure that happens.

Happy

ChadA

http://chadarnow.com/
Ste Kenwright

PostPosted: Fri 30 Jan, 2009 5:41 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I can only echo Gary's disclaimer that we lack compelling archaeological or historical evidence for the use of padding in the Viking period: if not, then I imagine this thread would have been about two posts long, with a dictionary definition for an answer and where would the fun be in that?

It may be worth pointing out, as noted by the anonymous author of the military treatise I quoted before, some fighters of the day would make their own choice no matter what that military thinker believed was best, just as some re-enactors will continue to - so diversity is authentic and surely it wouldn't be very diverting if we all chose the same solution to these conundrums :-)

In that spirit:

Dan Howard wrote:
So what exactly is the word subarmali describing? A tunic? underwear? an arming garment

Would it be terribly unhelpful to suggest 'all of the above'? As I say, meanings are mutable. For a modern example, 'vest', from a general Latin word for 'garment' is used (on British TV, which is an interesting mix of British and American useage) a highly technical T-shirt style thermal baselayer, a slovenly sleeveless 'string' undergarment, a smart dress waistcoat or bullet resistant armour depending on context, even without additional qualifiers. Saxo seems happy to use the word both for a garment that left one's breast 'unarmed' and which if, of iron, could turn a spear thrust. Incidently, what Elton translates as 'a dress stuffed with hair' is 'munimenti', i.e. the root of 'munitions' and is more properly used for 'a defence, protection or fortification'. If one accepts that is a description of a padded body defence which might be better than nothing in a pinch, that might also be the nature of the plain 'subarmalis' that wasn't proper armour like an iron shirt. But the description won't prove it.

The keystone to that interpretation is the origin of the Latin word 'subarmalis', which seems to me to be from 'sub-arma' i.e. 'beneath arms', (arms used in exactly the same way it has remained in English to mean weapons, armour or military equipment and also figuratively such as 'vi et armis': 'force of arms). 'Armorum' is translated as 'armour' in Dan's quote from De Rebus Bellicis. I'd be interested in any other roots that people could suggest.

I can, if desired, supply some more references for the Roman 'subarmalis', more reasoning behind it's identification as a garment worn below armour, other fabric based protection references from earlier in the period and relationship to the 'thoracomachus' & other terms. However, this will only be of interest if one accepts the possibility that European equipment of the C4th-C6th (and perhaps earlier) is still of relevance to the topic, or if one hasn't completely lost the will to live.

The references include (subarmalis):
three mentions in the Historia Augusta
another tablet inventory (Carlisle) of cavalry equipment
(other fabric defences)
the intriguing case of Julius Caesar
two in Cassius Dio
Suetonius
(putting on 'imatia' before arming)
Procopius

Is it really worth the time in this thread?

Dan Howard wrote:

This suggests to me that the garment was intended to be worn under rigid armour such as a metal cuirass or perhaps lamellar.

I usually trust Dennis, but I understand that the Greek translated as 'coats of mail' was in English characters 'zabais' (i.e. zaba) as opposed to the breastplates 'thoraxi' (surely 'of the thorax', just as thorachomachus: 'thorax protector', just as peristedidion/peristithidion apparently means chest wrapper - I see a strong implication that the thoracomachus was sleeveless, whether or not it had pteryges). Perhaps someone with Greek can enlighten us further?

Similarly, when the phrase 'lorica vel cliv/banus' in your quote from De Rebus Bellicis was written, the plate armour now called 'segmentata' was long gone: mail and scale were worn. 'Lorica' refers to any body armour, which can be specified to be lorica hamata (mail) or squamata (scale), but is used on it's own, e.g. by Vegetius around this time specifically in opposition to 'cataphractae' which could be woven from hair and horn, thus presumably scale. 'Lorica vel clibanus' (lit. oven!!) sounds like the same differentiation between mail and scale: Late Roman heavy cavalry were known interchangeably as cataphractii and clibanarii and the famous Dura graffito shows a heavy cavalryman wearing scale, see also Ammianus' description. I've worn that combination of mail plus scale thorax and it makes a natural combination :-)

Plus a padded tunic, of course! Wink

salvete omnes
Be well, all[/i]

Ste ~ Salvianus ~ Stenolfr

My journal

~ Never give a sword to a man who can't dance ~
Chinese Proverb
Jean Henri Chandler

PostPosted: Sat 31 Jan, 2009 9:43 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thats brilliant stuff man, very interesting indeed, thanks for posting.

J

Ste Kenwright

PostPosted: Sat 31 Jan, 2009 12:05 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Jean Henri Chandler wrote:
Thats brilliant stuff man, very interesting indeed, thanks for posting.

J

You're most welcome Happy

Obviously one has to be circumspect about the strength of such evidence so much later in period and outside of the old boundaries of the empire, but Saxo's use of the Latin seems to me to be surprisingly faithful to these early sources. I find that hard to explain without continuity of function, at least in his mind.

His unusual command of the language is what earned him the epithet Grammaticus and I was amused to see him called 'contubernalis' (tent-mate) by a contemporary, just as Roman comrades did. As a military minded son of a warrior, all this supports his familiarity with warrior kit as well as the Roman military tradition. Thor Ewing and Gale Owen-Crocker certainly utilise similar (and, to my mind, much more tenuous) linguistic links to suggest the form and function of garments, even when mentioned in works of fiction. Clearly the issue could do with examination from an expert.

Ste ~ Salvianus ~ Stenolfr

My journal

~ Never give a sword to a man who can't dance ~
Chinese Proverb
Jean Henri Chandler

PostPosted: Sun 01 Feb, 2009 12:45 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I don't know if anyone else looked at this document Mikael Ranelius linked to here on the Material Culture of warriors from the Birka site...

http://www.diva-portal.org/diva/getDocument?u...lltext.pdf

..but I would say there is some data there that people interested in this sort of thing would find eye-opening. It has already changed my perception of the use of bows in Norse armies. There also appears to be significant evidence for both Lamellar armor and composite bows at Birka. Not just the one one grave which people have described as being an eastern grave as if from a foreign visitor, but multiple finds of several different types of lamelae, and components of Gorytos (combined quiver / bow-sheathes used for carrying bows on horseback), and numerous arrowheads which according to the paper are associated with Composite bows.

Which isn't at all surprising since as pointed out earlier in this thread the Rus were fighting with this kind of kit, and we know they traveled back and forth from Sweden.

I think we can now clearly say that we have solid archeological evidence for Vikings wearing Lamellar and using Composite bows in Scandinavia, and we do have some literary evidence of textile armor by the use of the word "Subarmalis" by Saxo. I suspect if we look further into the Sagas and the archeological record we will find more evidence .

I was also reading an essay today in this book about Galloglass warriors from the Hebrides and Western Scotland,

http://www.amazon.com/World-Gallowglass-Warlo...amp;sr=8-4

...which contained sourced material from the 14th Century Western Scotland, among the direct descendant of Norse (Norwegiean?) Vikings, describing armor they called "aketons" made of layers of quilted textile covered in pitch or wax, and topped with deerskin. I would say this resuscitate the often dismissed Saga reference to Reindeer hide armor. It clearly was not impossible to make armor which incorporated this material.

I also think it's very interesting that in this culturally Scandinavian area where they used a variety of Scandinavian inspired kit, from the mail armor, to the Brillin (Hebridian ships) to the Sparth Axe, they were almost uniquely for the British isles heavily reliant upon textile armor they called "aketons", both as an adjunct to and a replacement for mail Haubergons, these were mentioned in several records from the 14th Century on out.

I can post the specific references on request.

Jean

Last edited by Jean Henri Chandler on Sun 01 Feb, 2009 1:26 pm; edited 1 time in total
Dan Howard

Spotlight topics: 2

PostPosted: Sun 01 Feb, 2009 1:15 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

and we do have some literary evidence of textile armor by the use of the word "Subarmalis" by Saxo. I suspect if we look further into the Sagas and the archeological record we will find more evidence .

No we don't. The particular passage in question is pretty clear that the word subarmalis is being used, on that occasion, to describe regular clothing. There is still nothing to suggest that a padded garment was worn under mail. The whole point of the passage is to note that the man in question faced the attack with no protection.

Quote:
...which contained sourced material from the 14th Century Western Scotland, among the direct descendant of Norse (Norwegiean?) Vikings, describing armor they called "aketons" made of layers of quilted textile covered in pitch or wax, and topped with deerskin. I would say this resuscitate the often dismissed Saga reference to Reindeer hide armor. It clearly was not impossible to make armor which incorporated this material.
A thin layer of leather over the top of a dozen layers of cloth does not turn it into leather armour. It is cloth armour with a leather cover. The Romans used a leather cover over the top of their shields. Nobody would say that Romans carried leather shields. The leather cover contributed nothing to the the armour's ability to resist attack. It was used to keep out the rain.
Jean Henri Chandler

PostPosted: Sun 01 Feb, 2009 1:33 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Dan Howard wrote:
No we don't. The particular passage in question is pretty clear that the word subarmalis is being used, on that occasion, to describe regular clothing. There is still nothing to suggest that a padded garment was worn under mail. The whole point of the passage is to note that the man in question faced the attack with no protection.

I am going to assume that you accidentally missed the fact there is more than one passage sourced here than the one you selected. Or that the term 'subarmalis' had a specific meaning and etymology which has already been discussed here as well.

Quote:
A thin layer of leather

Nothing in this document said anything about the leather being thin or what it's thickness was relative to the other components. You seem to be making an intuitive assumption of some sort

Quote:
over the top of a dozen layers of cloth does not turn it into leather armour. It is cloth armour with a leather cover. The Romans used a leather cover over the top of their shields. Nobody would say that Romans carried leather shields. The leather cover contributed nothing to the the armour's ability to resist attack. It was used to keep out the rain.

In this case leather is described as a component of the armor, not as a separate raincoat worn over the armor like the famous scutum covers. Just, in fact, as leather is incorporated into the construction of many types of shields, such as the Scottish targe, or is itself the primary material as with other types used in the medieval period in this same area (and described as such in period records).

Similarly, with the Finnish Reindeer armor mentioned in the sagas (more than once I believe), we don't know if it also incorporated textile armor underneath, but we do know it was described specifically as armor and not as a raincoat, and we also have evidence of armor using deer or doe hide in widespread use in the Hebrides and Western Scotland a few hundred years after the Viking era by their direct descendants.

Whether you agree with the evidence is irrelevant. The evidence is not definitive, but there is evidence. So it is incorrect to say that there isn't any as per the original responses to the OP.

J

Last edited by Jean Henri Chandler on Sun 01 Feb, 2009 1:46 pm; edited 1 time in total
Dan Howard

PostPosted: Sun 01 Feb, 2009 1:45 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I am going to assume that you accidentally missed the fact there is more than one passage sourced than the one you selected. Or that the term 'subarmalis' had a specific meaning and etymology which has already been discussed here.
There is only one passage that is relevant to a Viking-period context. It has already been acknowledged dozens of times that other cultures wore padding under some types of armour.

Quote:
Nothing in this document said anything about the leather being thin or what it's thickness was relative to the other components. You seem to be making an intuitive assumption of some sort
You equated deer hide with reindeer hide. Any leather made of reindeer hide has to be thin. It is one of the reasons why it is unsuitable for armour.

Quote:
In this case leather is described as a component of the armor, not as a raincoat over the armor. Just as leather is incorporated into the construction of many types of shields, such as the Scottish targe, or is itself the primary material as with other types used in the medeival period in this same area (and described as such in period record).
whether is is an outer layer of the construction or whether it is a separate cover it still performs the function of resisting water - not weapons.

Quote:
Similarly, with the Finnish Reindeer armor mentioned in the sagas (more than once I believe), we don't know if it also incorporated textile armor underneath, but we do know it was described specifically as armor and not as a raincoat, and we also have evidence of armor using deer or doe hide in widespread use in the Hebrides and Western Scotland a few hundred years after the Viking era by their direct descendants.
If reindeer hide made such wonderful armour then it wouldn't have needed to be magically enchanted.

Quote:
Whether you agree with the evidence is irrelevant. The evidence is not definitive, but there is evidence. So it is incorrect to say that there isn't any as per the original responses to the OP.
There is no evidence. Only misinterpreted citations.
Jean Henri Chandler

PostPosted: Sun 01 Feb, 2009 1:55 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Dan Howard wrote:
There is only one passage that is relevant to a Viking-period context. It has already been acknowledged dozens of times that other cultures wore padding under some types of armour.

You apparently missed this specific reference:

Quote:
believe specific Saxo Grammaticus use of 'subarmalis' are GESTA DANORUM, LIBER IV:
Amlethus, cognita fraude, metum dissimulanter habuit, ducentisque equitibus in comitatum receptis, subarmalem vestem indutus obsequitur invitanti maluitque regiae simulationi periculose parere quam turpiter repugnare. Adeo honestatem in cunctis observandam putabat. Quem comminus obequitantem rex sub ipsa bipatentium portarum testudine adortus iaculo transegisset, ni ferrum subarmalis togae durities repulisset.

But Amleth, having learnt the deceit, dissembled his fear, took a retinue of two hundred horsemen, put on an under- shirt (of mail), and complied with the invitation, preferring the peril of falling in with the king's deceit to the shame of hanging back. So much heed for honour did he think that he must take in all things. As he rode up close, the king attacked him just under the porch of the folding doors, and would have thrust him through with his javelin, but that the hard shirt of mail threw off the blade.

Quote:
You equated deer hide with reindeer hide. Any leather made of reindeer hide has to be thin. It is one of the reasons why it is unsuitable for armour.

In your opinion. We do not know how it could be treated (in the Hebrides they apparently used pitch and / or wax) or how many layers would be used. Deer hide is described as a component of armor , that is a fact. Everything else is speculation.

Quote:
whether is is an outer layer of the construction or whether it is a separate cover it still performs the function of resisting water - not weapons.

What is your source for this statement?

Quote:
If reindeer hide made such wonderful armour then it wouldn't have needed to be magically enchanted.

In the Sagas, swords are routinely described as enchanted, are we therefore to assume that they were not otherwise functional as weapons?

Quote:
There is no evidence. Only misinterpreted citations.

In your opinion. The rest of us can decide for ourselves.

J

Dan Howard

PostPosted: Sun 01 Feb, 2009 2:14 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

believe specific Saxo Grammaticus use of 'subarmalis' are GESTA DANORUM, LIBER IV:
Amlethus, cognita fraude, metum dissimulanter habuit, ducentisque equitibus in comitatum receptis, subarmalem vestem indutus obsequitur invitanti maluitque regiae simulationi periculose parere quam turpiter repugnare. Adeo honestatem in cunctis observandam putabat. Quem comminus obequitantem rex sub ipsa bipatentium portarum testudine adortus iaculo transegisset, ni ferrum subarmalis togae durities repulisset.

But Amleth, having learnt the deceit, dissembled his fear, took a retinue of two hundred horsemen, put on an under- shirt (of mail), and complied with the invitation, preferring the peril of falling in with the king's deceit to the shame of hanging back. So much heed for honour did he think that he must take in all things. As he rode up close, the king attacked him just under the porch of the folding doors, and would have thrust him through with his javelin, but that the hard shirt of mail threw off the blade.

Where is the underpadding in this passage? My Latin isn't good enough to attempt a translation myself but based on the one here it seems that the mail itself is being called a subarmalis.
Daniel Staberg

Reading list: 2 books

PostPosted: Sun 01 Feb, 2009 2:18 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

The Birka finds are very interesting but we must not misstake indivdual or even comparatively large scale local use of items for mass general use of either lammellar armour or composite bows. What is iclear is that some professional warriors in eastern Sweden used them which is not strange given the trade and military connections of eastern Sweden with Russia and the Black sea area. There was bound to be some transfer of equipment between these areas.
But the finds tells us nothing about western Sweden, Norway or the Danelaw in England which is why I react to any claims that "the vikings" used unusal or rare items based on single finds. Saying that the warriors of Birka used lammellar armour and composite bows is one thing. Saying that the vikings used lammellar armour and composite bows is quite another as it implies general use by a very large and diverse group. I fully agree that this applies to "the vikings did not use..." statements as well so parts of my earlier post contain that error.

Saxo was a late 12 century writer who actually died in the early 13th century at time at which Scandinvai was well into the middle ages and particularly the Danes with their easy connections to Germany and the Low Countries hade become a part of the European mainstream as far as the weapons & armour was concerned. As a trained historian i would be quite hesitant to use him as a source for the earlier period for several reasons. The main reason is that there is a high probability that he was describing the equipment of his own time rather than that of a period 100-300 years in the past. A problem which is rather common with medieval sources describing "Ancient times". Take for example the fine Burgundian tapestries describing the lives of Ceasar and Trajan. They are an excellent source for 15th century arms and armour but no one would claim that they portray Roman equippment.

The Saga mentions armour made from reindeer hide alone, not a multilayer armour made of cloth topped with deer skin. The use of deer hide in the construction of Aketons are no more evidence that the Saga coats in question were armour than the fact that the French ordonnance archers of Louis XI were equipped with Jacks made of 25-30 layes of linen and one layer of deerskin. In both cases it's the multiple layers of cloth which provide the overwhelming part of the protection, not the single layer of deerhide.
Dan Howard

PostPosted: Sun 01 Feb, 2009 2:23 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

In the Sagas, swords are routinely described as enchanted, are we therefore to assume that they were not otherwise functional as weapons?

Depends on what they were enchanted to do: cut through armour, not break, never lose their edge. I can't think of any enchantments in the Sagas that turned a bar of steel into a sword.

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Viking padding
Page 8 of 10 Reply to topic
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: