Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Jody Samson Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3 
J Anstey

PostPosted: Mon 29 Dec, 2008 5:48 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

This is very sad news indeed. The man was truly a leader in his field and an inspiration to many.

I feel honored to own 2 swords that he had a hand in.

Condolences to his family and all that were close to him.

Jason
G. Ghazarian
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Mon 29 Dec, 2008 6:52 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

The loss of an artist is a loss forever for the entire community.

Very sad indeed.

Condolences to his family.

G. Ghazarian
http://gloryships.com/
Geoff Freeman

Reading list: 3 books

PostPosted: Mon 29 Dec, 2008 7:10 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

My condolences to the Samson family, and to Amy, Howy, and the crew at Albion.

Living not too far from New Glarus, I had the opportunity to visit the shop a number of times. On many of these visits, Mike would take me to the back of the Albion facility to Jody's workshop to look around and see what Jody was working on. On every occasion, Jody called me by name when we walked into the shop. Even if it had been a couple of months in between visits, he still recognized me. At the 2004 Albion Swordfest, there was an informal get-together at one of the pubs in New Glarus. I had not seen Jody for a few months beforehand, but once we were sat down, he brought up a conversation we had had the last time I had seen him, and we talked for some time. Unfortunately, I have had other interests and such that have kept me from maintaining my contact with Albion in any significant way, and as such I have not seen Jody but once or twice since then. I regret that now. I also regret not buying a sword from him when I had the chance.

I am honored that Jody knew me, such as he did. I can only imagine that he talked to everybody as if they were a close and personal friend and that he made them feel as such. And that, if he had done nothing else, would be worth a drink. For everything else he did and was, he deserves two.

To Jody, rest in peace.

Geoff

Geoffrey C. Freeman
Durendal Fencing Club
Allen Foster

Reading list: 4 books

PostPosted: Mon 29 Dec, 2008 8:08 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I feel like that there should be a way we as a group can pay meaningful tribute to one who has challanged our conceptions of what constitutes the art of sword making in its highest form.

I did not know Jody personally although I had already put him at the top of my own pedistal as one of the top masters in the field of sword & knife making. From my perspective he set the bar and never looked back.

As with any true Master of the arts, Jody was able to covey his passion into physical form and in the process made this world a little more bearable & a better place for us all. For we still can experience Jody's passion vicariously through his living peices of art. I've always thought that to handle one of his creations would be electrifying.

In addition to Jody's family I know that the folks at Albion are hurting. You know that company really has a heart and I'm sure it feels like there's a big empty hole in it today with the loss of their friend and loved one. Be comforted that he is in a better place. Jody's family and friends are in my thoughts & prayers.,

"Rise up, O Lord, and may thy enemies be dispersed and those who hate thee be driven from thy face."
Roger Hooper

Spotlight topics: 4

PostPosted: Tue 30 Dec, 2008 2:22 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Jody Samson was 62. I wish he could have had at least another 20 years.

I remember that beautiful cutlass he donated as a prize for that contest here last August. I thought that was an incredibly generous act.
Edward Hitchens

Reading list: 9 books

PostPosted: Tue 30 Dec, 2008 2:54 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

What a sad year for the sword community. First Hank, now Jody.

But just as when Ewart Oakeshott left us in 2002, let us embrace the companionship to those who knew him and met him as well as the knowledge and creations he bestowed upon the rest of us.

With the unmistakable design and quality of Jody Samson's swords, we can be sure that Heaven's gates will be well protected. Happy

"The whole art of government consists in the art of being honest." Thomas Jefferson
Christopher Gregg

Reading list: 2 books

PostPosted: Tue 30 Dec, 2008 3:19 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Edward Hitchens wrote:
What a sad year for the sword community. First Hank, now Jody.

But just as when Ewart Oakeshott left us in 2002, let us embrace the companionship to those who knew him and met him as well as the knowledge and creations he bestowed upon the rest of us.

With the unmistakable design and quality of Jody Samson's swords, we can be sure that Heaven's gates will be well protected. Happy

Well said, Ed. Heaven will indeed be well defended. If only I could have had the opportunity to purchase one more of Jody's swords, then I would also defend the earth in his stead.

Ard Choille!

Christopher Gregg

'S Rioghal Mo Dhream!
Joe Fults

PostPosted: Tue 30 Dec, 2008 3:27 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Completely unexpected news.

I wish the best for those lives he touched that are lessened by him being gone.

"The goal shouldn’t be to avoid being evil; it should be to actively do good." - Danah Boyd
Nathan M Wuorio

Reading list: 3 books

PostPosted: Tue 30 Dec, 2008 11:23 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I just can't believe it, I have always admired his work, and upon hearing the rumor, went to his site to see if there was any sort of information. When I didn't see anything, I breathed a sigh of relief, all of his swords were still there, up for sale, and nothing looked wrong. When I came back to this discussion, I was hit hard by the confirmation that the terrible rumor was indeed true. I wish I could have bought one of his blades earlier, perhaps one of his sabres, or cutlasses. If I may ask a slightly morbid question, how did he pass? He was so young, and he seemed to be in good health, it seems like a mystery to me. My deepest condolences go out to his friends and family.
Nathan.
Tim Seaton

PostPosted: Thu 01 Jan, 2009 11:54 am    Post subject: jody         Reply with quote

Sending prayers and condolensces from my family to the samson family He was the true answer to the riddle of steel he will be missed Sad
the #10 out of 10 sea ward sword, and the war sword will always remind me of what a fantastic & inventive artist that he was .I am honerd to have them see u in valhalla my freind
tim seaton
Ed Toton

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Thu 01 Jan, 2009 7:30 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I've never had the opportunity to meet him. I wish I had. What a great loss; he will be missed!
-Ed T. Toton III
ed.toton.org | ModernChivalry.org
My armor photos on facebook
Russ Ellis
Industry Professional

Reading list: 42 books

PostPosted: Mon 05 Jan, 2009 11:24 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Very sorry to hear this. I did not know Mr. Samson at all except through his work that I have handled. I can tell you however, that his work is phenomenal, and instantly recognizable as his. Mr. Samson was involved in far more then just the Conan movies and fantasy pieces, his work at Benchmade is also extraordinary. The man had a great talent and left a lasting legacy.
TRITONWORKS Custom Scabbards
Christopher Gregg

Reading list: 2 books

PostPosted: Tue 06 Jan, 2009 11:14 am    Post subject: Jody Samson article         Reply with quote

I found this article from the Wisconsin State Journal online regarding Jody’s death. I hope it’s OK to transcribe it here. The author is George Hesselberg:

Jody Samson, legendary sword, knife maker dies in New Glarus.

A guy who described himself as “a lizard in the snow” of Wisconsin, Jody Samson would sit at Sportsman’s Bar and Grill on First Street in New Glarus, order the daily special, and wash it down with Fat Squirrel, the pride of the nearby New Glarus Brewery.

To most in New Glarus, Samson was that guy.

To the rest of the world, Samson, who was found dead of pneumonia in his workshop Dec. 27, was a legendary sword and knife maker and designer. With a world following in sword and sorcery circles, Samson was lured to New Glarus from California in 2001 by the owners of Albion Swords. He set up shop in downtown New Glarus, called it “The Far Side,” smoked cigars and explored new levels and exploited the collectability of old designs of swords and knives.

Howard Waddell, co-owner of Albion, the largest producer of authentic swords in the U.S., said that in the world of authentic swords and knives, Samson was among the top designers.

“We are walking around in a stupor,” Amy Waddell said Monday, about the effect of Samson’s death on the staff of artisans at Albion.

He had complained of a cold earlier in Christmas week, she said. Green County Coroner Jan Perry said the death is not suspicious. Samson has been dead for about a day before he was found, by Amy’s brother, Lars Hansen, also a sword designer for Albion.

“He had complained of cold-like symptoms for about a week,” Perry said. “Someone saw the lights on in his workshop and found him dead.”

Samson, who had no known survivors, was a workaholic, Waddell said, going to his shop from his Main Street apartment at about 1 a.m. daily to work.

“His legacy is huge; nearly every sword maker we know was inspired by swords appearing in “Conan,’” said Waddell. That would be the famous Samson-designed weapon from the 1982 movie “Conan the Barbarian.” In the movie, Conan, played by Arnold Schwarzenegger, wreaks vengeance on his enemies.

Samson got his start making knives by hanging around the workshop of prolific knife-maker John Wesley Cooper, in Burbank, Calif., in the early 1970’s. Samson was also known for his work creating butterfly knives, which are a special type of folding knife, for Bali-Song. His work commands top prices. The “Conan the Barbarian Atlantean” is listed at $2,775, Waddell noted and he also wrote fantasy stories for which he designed swords.

Margaret Ryser, co-owner of Sportsman’s, found him to be a very nice guy.

“This was his second home, he was so versatile and well-informed.” She said.

A memorial written by fellow designer Leif Hansen described Samson’s workshop, with its smell of Swisher Sweet cigars, the sound of Zeppelin in the background, and black steel dust (which he called “the Devil’s dandruff”) everywhere from grinders.

“I’ve never met anyone as fiercely and tirelessly creative a Jody Samson,” he wrote.

Memorial Service

A memorial service for Jody Samson, sword designer and maker, will be at 6 p.m. Friday at Sportsman’s Bar and Grill in New Glarus.

P.S. (from me, Chris) May we all remember Jody at this hour, and raise a glass in his honor.

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Jody Samson
Page 3 of 3 Reply to topic
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3 All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: