Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Anyone know where I can find maille links for riveting Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Harold R.

PostPosted: Wed 24 Dec, 2008 9:04 pm    Post subject: Anyone know where I can find maille links for riveting         Reply with quote

I was just wondering if anyone knows where I can find links for making riveted maille. I'd eventually like to make a hauberk and I figure if I'm going to go to the work of making one, it might as well be about as authentic as I can make it.
Thanks.
M. Eversberg II

Reading list: 3 books

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Wed 24 Dec, 2008 11:27 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Try wholesale armour or the ring lord.

M.

This space for rent or lease.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
Harold R.

PostPosted: Thu 25 Dec, 2008 7:55 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thanks.
I checked TRL but they don't have riveted links listed.
I'll check the other guy.
C. Gadda

PostPosted: Thu 25 Dec, 2008 11:29 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

You can also try Ice Falcon Armoury and Historic Enterprises. The former is more apt to have stuff in stock. I've done business with him before, and been generally pleased. But be warned! The rings have a counter-clockwise overlap, which is fine if you're left handed but a pain if you're not...

Historic Enterprises has good product, but it's never in stock (at least not for the last year+).

Ring Lord was supposed to be producing overlapped and riveted rings in their own plant, but that project appears to have been permanently kiboshed, at least they have dropped any mention of it.
Harold R.

PostPosted: Thu 25 Dec, 2008 7:49 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

C. Gadda wrote:
You can also try Ice Falcon Armoury and Historic Enterprises. The former is more apt to have stuff in stock. I've done business with him before, and been generally pleased. But be warned! The rings have a counter-clockwise overlap, which is fine if you're left handed but a pain if you're not...

Historic Enterprises has good product, but it's never in stock (at least not for the last year+).

Ring Lord was supposed to be producing overlapped and riveted rings in their own plant, but that project appears to have been permanently kiboshed, at least they have dropped any mention of it.

Thanks.
I've checked with TRL and sent an email to Historic enterprises but no answer yet (big suprise though, I sent them yesterday).

What is the problem with a counter-clockwise overlap?
I've never done anything with maille or any other kind of armor before so I'm just trying wrap my mind around it.
Robert P. Wimmers
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Fri 26 Dec, 2008 6:01 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

You could also try Daniyal Steel Crafts in India. They do an amazing range of high quality mail at pretty reasonable prices. I have two of their suits, one of which is riveted. They will probably send you the rings. On the other hand, I have tried mail and am very happy to buy it these days, now that people like DSC offer ready made.

Mail adres is dscarmoury@gmail.com, ask Alauddin or Vijay . Say hi from me Wink
C. Gadda

PostPosted: Fri 26 Dec, 2008 12:56 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Harold R. wrote:

Thanks.
I've checked with TRL and sent an email to Historic enterprises but no answer yet (big suprise though, I sent them yesterday).

What is the problem with a counter-clockwise overlap?
I've never done anything with maille or any other kind of armor before so I'm just trying wrap my mind around it.

Best way to describe it is that it is like being right handed and then given a tool or something that is meant for lefties to use (or vice versa). Kinda one of those things that can't be explained but only experienced - but once you experience it you *immediately* understand the problem...
Harold R.

PostPosted: Fri 26 Dec, 2008 11:17 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

C. Gadda wrote:
Best way to describe it is that it is like being right handed and then given a tool or something that is meant for lefties to use (or vice versa). Kinda one of those things that can't be explained but only experienced - but once you experience it you *immediately* understand the problem...

Guess it must be one of those things that has to be experienced.
I checked them out and they carry 6mm round links and 9mm flat links. I'd prefer to go with round 9mm links because I'd like the option of using my maille to portray an earlier period (didn't flat links start coming into use around the 14th century ?). Just seems like it would offer more flexibility to me. But since it's pretty unlikely that anyone is going to have at me with a seax any time soon, I doubt that I'll need the extra protection of the smaller rings - plus it will take more of them (and more time and more money) to build what I want.

Robert P. Wimmers wrote:
You could also try Daniyal Steel Crafts in India. They do an amazing range of high quality mail at pretty reasonable prices. I have two of their suits, one of which is riveted. They will probably send you the rings. On the other hand, I have tried mail and am very happy to buy it these days, now that people like DSC offer ready made.

Mail adres is dscarmoury@gmail.com, ask Alauddin or Vijay . Say hi from me Wink

I found them on a google search. Seem like an interesting option but they're in India and I'm in the US.
I'd bet that I'll have to mortgage my left... well you get the idea.... to pay the shipping on enough mail to build a hauberk (maybe 25 or so pounds).
Still, I'll check with them if I can't find a US (or maybe canadian) source for what I need.

Thanks for the info guys. As always, I appreciate it.
Robert P. Wimmers
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Sat 27 Dec, 2008 4:53 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Rusty Meyers (Soul of the Warrior) is a US dealer for DSC and ships in their stuff. If you order through their dealer, you may get to keep your left *** after all, as the shipping cost goes down as he orders in bulk, I presume.
Was just a thought ..... Good luck!
C. Gadda

PostPosted: Sat 27 Dec, 2008 9:11 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

One other possibility: you could simply *make* your own rings. I don't recommend it, since it is remarkably labour intensive, but given the spotty supplies of rings and the fact that the made in India stuff is a bit disappointing quality-wise (for one thing, I find that they tend to smash the overlaps a bit too thin, and there is just something too precise and machine made about it that looks funny; not to mention the wrong direction overlap) you may want to consider it anyway. Indeed, I am doing just this for my reproduction of the Sinigaglia haubergeon, since no one makes rings of 1/2" I.D. Solid rings can be punched either with hand-made punches and dies, or with the Roper Whitney variety. The riveted rings can be made, though the hardest part is punching the rivet slits (TRL sells, or at least used to sell, a tool for this). And if you want to get the proper "watershed" effect on the rings, you'll need a special tool for that, as well.

Just a thought.
Harold R.

PostPosted: Tue 30 Dec, 2008 11:43 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Robert P. Wimmers wrote:
Rusty Meyers (Soul of the Warrior) is a US dealer for DSC and ships in their stuff. If you order through their dealer, you may get to keep your left *** after all, as the shipping cost goes down as he orders in bulk, I presume.
Was just a thought ..... Good luck!

Now that is some useful information to have. Thank you.
I'll have to get in touch with him and see what can be done.

C. Gadda - I briefly considered trying to make my own maille but the challenge of gearing up to do it and the time required are just overwhelming.
I can't afford to just buy what I want outright but I also don't have the time to make it from scratch. Pre-made links seem like about the best solution I could come up with. But I have been finding that riveted-maille links are apparently a pretty rare item.
Definitely not something that I'll be finding at Wal-mart. Wink

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Anyone know where I can find maille links for riveting
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic