myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > New Bernard Cornwell book Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page Previous  1, 2 
Luka Borscak

PostPosted: Tue 30 Dec, 2008 1:18 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Harold R. wrote:
Luka Borscak wrote:
I checked, the part with mail piercing was before his first duel with Steapa. He sad that because Steapa is well armoured he has no chance of wounding him with cuts and that he should somehow thrust through mail. He wounded him twice through mail, but lightley.

I think the part I was thinking of was farther on in the book, after Uthred and Steapa had done some traveling together and started becoming friends.

I really wish I could find that damn book!
It's probably right next to my MS 1.33 book...
Which is to say that they're both in an extremely safe location - so safe that even I don't know where they are!

Very safe location indeed. Happy I came to the part you speak of. Uhtred says he chose the wrong sword, the one that was balanced for slashing, towards the tip, but here he says nothing about the capability of the sword to cut or pierce through the mail.
Jared Smith

Spotlight topics: 3

PostPosted: Tue 30 Dec, 2008 1:19 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Bernard did an o.k. job of describing the pattern welded "serpent sword" in the Sword Song text. He referred to it as a 4 bar twisted core with harder laminated layered edges welded on. I think we are beginning to realize that there were often much more elaborate arrangements in forming some pattern welded cores, but, there was nothing greatly inaccurate in his vague description of how such a thing was made.

In the plot of the story, some characters expressed concern about possible damage to the sword in a situation where it was lent to another. I consider that realistic, as well as the hero's reply!

Absence of evidence is not necessarily evidence of absence!
J.D. Crawford

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Tue 30 Dec, 2008 2:00 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Just the fact that one can quibble with him on expert details is a compliment - most historical novelists would probably have Uthred charging the bad ol' vikings on horseback with couched lance, his lady's scarf flying high, and a dragon-pommeled fantasy sword at his side. Not much fun arguing with those people.

This is purely a matter of personal taste, but there is something about the Arthur series that puts me off. I tried reading two of them and was not able to finish either. Something about the colorful cast of characters, spitting wizards, and mysticism put me off. I recently talked to another Uthred fan who had exactly the same comments about the other series.

But as my father used to say, 'different strokes for different folks'.
J.D. Crawford

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Wed 31 Dec, 2008 4:48 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Just thought of another Bernardism. Doesn't he propogate the myth that its very difficult to withdraw a sword after a thrust?

That IS a myth isn't it? (I've never actually stabbed anyone with a sword and don't intend to start anytime soon).

(I remembered this one after reading the current thread on blood grooves.)[/i]

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > New Bernard Cornwell book
Page 2 of 2 Reply to topic
Go to page Previous  1, 2 All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: