Historically Accurate Viking Helm
Hi
I wanted a Historically accurate Late Viking helm
Sorta 900-1000
What kinda helm should I get and would this one be any good? also to make it accurate would i hafta somehow remove the "antiquing" and ifso how?
http://www.hanweishop.com/proddetail.php?prod=AH2191N
THANX
Z
p.s. I do not want a Gjermumbo helm and don;t want anything over $300 I suppose if I had to I could maybe go $350
Hello and welcome to the forum. There are alot of guys here with outstanding knowledge.

I posted the same question a while back. I decided to go with a Spanghelm from Hanwei as well.

I bought mine from Viking Shield, LLC, a great company. Jim is the contact person and he is great.

I will post a link to his web site.

http://www.viking-shield.com/

this is the pict of the one I bought. Very nice for the money.

Good luck.

Spence

Attachment: 19.68 KB
NasalHelm.jpg

The noseguard on that helm looks a bit crooked?

Any more examples / places to buy a good authentic one? Especially in England or Europe?
Yes, it does look a bit crooked. This the pict that Casiberia actually has on their website. This is not my exact helmet. Although I dont think a crooked nose guard would bother me if it were mine.

S
I don't believe you could obtain a truly accurate helm for even close to that price.
Zach, the Mercenarys Tailor (merctailor.com) has several Viking/Dark Age helms that sell at just over $300, but under $350. Their work is very good for the money, and they're located near you!
Hey spence,
thats funny cause that wuz the other one I liked the only thing I didn't like wuz that the noseguard looked a bit crooked to me too.
Would an antuiqing be hard to remove and would it be to inacurate to leave it on?
How many historical examples are there? the only one I can think of is the Wenceles helm and the bayeux tapestry. There wuz allso one from MRL from the kingdom of heaven that looked like it wuz made of one peice.

I do living history so it needs to be accurate but I do not need to use it for combat. we do more test cutting and when we re-enact battles its more like demos so we dont hit eachother that much we hit shields and basically just touch the blade on the body and the head, its to dangerous to hit the head hard when you are using helms with no face and neck protection. Two guys in my group use a gjermumbo helm so I don't want to look the same. We re-enact viking so we have to modify or suits to go from 793-1066 depending on the exact event.
P.s. I'm also a student so I'm not rich and I just ordered a new sword
Zach,

Sounds like fun. I too have been wanting to get into Living History but there are no groups in my area. There is alot of sound advice to be taken on this forum. Look around for other posts. I am not sure about the antique finish, I would assume that it would be removed, but then again it may depend on your persona........are you wealthy or poor. Poor vikings may not have even had a helmet and if they did it may have been rough with hammer marks showing and little polishing done to it.

I want to get in and going, the refine my kit to more authentic standards.

Check out Viking Shield they have all kinds of neat stuff.

Good Luck.

Spence
Quote:
David Stepheson wrote
Any more examples / places to buy a good authentic one? Especially in England or Europe?

For the UK. I suspect a custom one from Plessis Armouries, St George Armouries or A Plaisance would be a bit more than that, but not much and all of which will turn out very good gear.

Tod
Dear Mr. Krause,

On Friday 19 December 2008, you wrote:
I don't believe you could obtain a truly accurate helm for even close to that price.

Could you expand on this, please? What are your standards for a "truly accurate" Scandinavian early-medieval helmet? Who might you suggest to make such an item, if cost were of no concern?

Just leaving your statement as is leaves me hungry for more details.

Best,

Mark Millman
Good quality, and good prices.

http://www.gdfb.co.uk/

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: