Lovin' the lobes: show your lobed pommels
More than a decade ago I was inspired by Tim Lison's post on Brazil nut swords, which influenced my collecting for years.

Now I hope to do the same for my other end-of-the handle favorite: lobated pommels. Starting from the Viking age where they reached peak popularity, these persisted as late 'transitional' types in high medieval times and even later in isolated cases like the Western Scottish highlands and some landsknecht daggers / swords. My favorites are the transitional types that blur the lines between late Viking and early Knightly swords.

I'd appreciate if you could show off some of yours!

Here's a picture of some of mine to get it started.

Left to right: A&A/Albion Highland sword, Windlass Transitional Viking, Jeff Helmes Korsoygaden, Michael Pikula Anglosaxon (now sold), Albion Huskarl.

Attachment: 177.97 KB
Five Lobed Pommels.jpg

Nice idea for a thread. Here are my three, Arms and Armor Anglo-Saxon (first version) with Christian Fletcher scabbard, Albion Caithness with a Valiant Armory scabbard (look familiar JD?) and Michael Pikula Viking.

Attachment: 248.54 KB
Lobe2.JPG

Attachment: 250.95 KB
Lobe1.JPG

That's a nice line up J.N. Yes, I miss that scabbard, although it would no longer fit the wide blade on my 'Caithness'. Is that one of those KoH Pikulas?

BTW, I'd be very interested to see the new version of A'nA's Anglo Saxon if somebody has one.
The only one of my swords that is even slightly lobey is the original Albion Gotland

Attachment: 100.44 KB
Gotlandm4s3x.jpg

Hey JD, I'm sorry but I don't remember what the KoH series of Pikula viking swords refers to. I wish there was a better database or something with examples of his work through the years. This one I have is one of the last seven builds he did for a "proof of concept" in 2016 and the five bar pattern weld and the pommel were the two things that really made me grab it. The attachment shows one of his photos of all seven swords.

I'm with you on the A&A Anglo-saxon. Would sure love to see a review. I really like this one I have; it's very fast and nimble, but it seems like they made a more typical and wide blade with their revision. Here's a photo that shows the blade profile better.

Attachment: 288.57 KB
Tunic-sword.JPG

Attachment: 117.85 KB
[ Download ]
Roger: thanks, type Zs are still pretty lobey. I'll post mine when I get a chance.

J.N.: Yes, I recall that series. I think that Michael sold a few himself and sent the remainder to Kult of Athena (KoA, not KoH, sorry for the typo). Looks like they're all gone now.
Here are some of my lobed pommel swords. Like JD, I'm particularly fascinated with the transitional period from lobed pommel to knightly sword although I have chosen to go further east than JD, focusing on later lobed swords from the Baltic region. The spread here is: Patrick Barta type T found in Latvia, Robert Moc "piast type" from Poland (the hilt fittings are carved horn, like the original), A silver and niello sword based on numerous Finnish examples by Robert Moc, and an inlayed type Z from Gnezdovo by Robert Moc.

Attachment: 61.77 KB
lobes.jpg

WOW- these are all great!

I tend a bit later but can still appreciate these lovely hilt types.

Tim- the horn hilted one is especially striking. I like the relatively thinner blade. If you ever get to it- show a full length shot. How does it handle with non-ferrous hilt components?
Tim, that rightmost sword is gorgeous. What material composition gives the hilt that color scheme?
Tim Lison wrote:
Here are some of my lobed pommel swords. Like JD, I'm particularly fascinated with the transitional period from lobed pommel to knightly sword although I have chosen to go further east than JD, focusing on later lobed swords from the Baltic region. The spread here is: Patrick Barta type T found in Latvia, Robert Moc "piast type" from Poland (the hilt fittings are carved horn, like the original), A silver and niello sword based on numerous Finnish examples by Robert Moc, and an inlayed type Z from Gnezdovo by Robert Moc.

Pushing the envelope as usual Tim.
As promised, here are a couple of type Zs. Not quite the classic shape: in one (the Pikula) the lobes are exaggerated almost to spikes, in the other (the Albion) they are somewhat dimunitive.

Due to unforeseen circumstances, both arrived the same day a couple of weeks ago. I had already ordered the Gotland from Viking Shield when Tim's Pikula type Z (original in Stockholm I believe) came up for sale. Being Swedish on my mother's side, I could not resist that one. But I don't need both so I just put the Albion up for sale a few minutes ago.

I know there are lots more lobey swords out there - keep them coming!

Attachment: 219.2 KB
IMG_20190326_0958561s.jpg

Gasp! That lovely Type Z from Pikula! Im salivating a bit...
Kai Lawson wrote:
Gasp! That lovely Type Z from Pikula! Im salivating a bit...

You would salivate even more if you handled it. It looks awkward, the all the handle pieces are nicely rounded and the whole piece is perfectly balanced. :)

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: