Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Brazil Nut pommels are very attractive, its a shame there are not more swords out there with them as they may well have been as popular, if not actually more popular, than wheel type pommels during the early medieval period.

Heres one of mine; a DT2131

[ Linked Image ]

[ Linked Image ]

I also own a Windlass Ulfberht but I don't have any pictures of it at the moment
Re: Brazil Nut swords
Tim Lison wrote:
Brazil nut pommels on swords are among my favorite! I grouped all mine up today and thought it might be fun to share a photo. I'd love to see pics of any others that are out there!

Tim, I don't know how I missed this topic! Great photo... fantastic selection of swords.

Thank you for sharing.
Re: Brazil Nut swords
Nathan Robinson wrote:
Tim Lison wrote:
Brazil nut pommels on swords are among my favorite! I grouped all mine up today and thought it might be fun to share a photo. I'd love to see pics of any others that are out there!

Tim, I don't know how I missed this topic! Great photo... fantastic selection of swords.

Thank you for sharing.

Thanks for the praise Nathan!!! Funny that this thread should come up again as I have recently received a NEW brazil nut sword! This one was bought from ArmArt originally, but sent to OlliN for a new pommel, cross, and grip! The sword has a type XII blade. I think it came out great. I'm including a photo of the original I used for reference.

Attachment: 37.02 KB
DCP_2241.JPG

Attachment: 31.36 KB
DCP_2247.JPG

Attachment: 29.7 KB
brazillllly.jpg

Albion's Gaddhjalt has already been pictured, but here's another view:

[ Linked Image ]

Here's another one, the customized ArmArt S4 I used to own:

[ Linked Image ]
Chad-

That ArmArt S4 is really nice. The scabbard looks pretty nice too!!!!
Tim Lison wrote:
Chad-

That ArmArt S4 is really nice. The scabbard looks pretty nice too!!!!

It was a decent piece. I like it, but like the Gaddhjalt which replaced it better. The scabbard was nice, if overbuilt.
Tim,
Your latest looks great! I had forgotten about this thread until it popped back up to the top. It reminds me I really need to get a sword with a brazil nut pommel. Custom XIa or XIIIb first? Decisions decisions!

Chad,
That customized ArmArt looks good but I like the simplicity of the Gaddhjalt better. Nothing wrong with some decoration but plain just speaks to me more.

Scott
Scott Kowalski wrote:
Tim,
Your latest looks great! I had forgotten about this thread until it popped back up to the top. It reminds me I really need to get a sword with a brazil nut pommel. Custom XIa or XIIIb first? Decisions decisions!

Chad,
That customized ArmArt looks good but I like the simplicity of the Gaddhjalt better. Nothing wrong with some decoration but plain just speaks to me more.

Scott

Good decision to have to make! I'm thinking of a next sword too. I'm torn between a custom XIa, XIII, and a type X. Tough choice. If I do an XIa, it will have a brazil nut!
Well there is my monster sword " RavenWolf "

Attachment: 41.49 KB
RavenWolf07.jpg

Attachment: 50.82 KB
RavenWolf06.jpg

Attachment: 49.64 KB
RavenWolf02.jpg

I had an expression, but then your sword eated it :eek:

M.
I love seeing all the different varieties of this great pommel shape. Here's a quick pic of my Brazil Nut Beauties:
A custom Del Tin 2130, an Albion Knud, Reeve, Gaddhjalt, and A&A St. Maurice.
Thanks,
Dan

Attachment: 76.52 KB
Brazil Nut Beauties.JPG

Dan-

Great picture! I have never seen the Reeve next to the Gadhjalt like that. Makes me want a Reeve! I always thought they were more similar....
hi,
beautiful swords! :D ...do you know that the lot of brazil-nut pommels were hollow? ...on the pictures, there is a sword from the museum in Krakow in Poland. it's second one i've seen in my country with this type of pommel and second with hollow pommel made of iron sheets soldered together.
and on the second picture there is a brazil-nut pommel casted in bronze. of course the pommel is hollow too.
I have a question on Brazil nut pommels, and this thread seemed appropriate to revive..

I have been looking around the feature section of the type X, XI and XII and most example swords seemed to be from the 10th and 11th century, with some outliers in mid to late 12th century.

The Sword of St Maurice Turin springs to mind, it is supposedly made in early 13th century, Question is if it intentionally was made to look old by using an outdated design?

Are there any examples of 13th century swords with brazil nut pommels, or where they going out of fashion already by the time of the second crusade?
Bjorn Hagstrom wrote:
I have a question on Brazil nut pommels, and this thread seemed appropriate to revive..

I have been looking around the feature section of the type X, XI and XII and most example swords seemed to be from the 10th and 11th century, with some outliers in mid to late 12th century.

The Sword of St Maurice Turin springs to mind, it is supposedly made in early 13th century, Question is if it intentionally was made to look old by using an outdated design?

Are there any examples of 13th century swords with brazil nut pommels, or where they going out of fashion already by the time of the second crusade?

Record pag. 97.
There are some XIII. Dating 1150-1200
I think a hilt type "gaddhjalt" it dates from about the year 10th until 13th.
From an extract by Schulze-Dörrlamm around the hilt of the sword of Vienna. " the Crossguard alone can not be used for dating purposes as this type of Crossguard can be observed on many swords from the 11th, 12th, and 13thcenturies."
I think no is outdating The Sword of St Maurice Turin dated 1200-1250 . However, this type hilt were common in 1000-1150
Happy to be corrected if I am wrong. :)
Ciao
Maurizio
I am not convinced either about the 13th century dating of St. Maurice (Turin). Going by its features it looks to be firmly 11th century, maybe 12th at the most.

From what I recall its historical provenance is pretty vague (discounting its mythical saintly provenance) so one can only go by its features. I seem to recall that Oakshott waffled about whether this was a type XII or an Xa, perhaps that is why he dated it later at first. Despite its narrowing toward the tip I would call it Xa-ish. But as old Oakey said many times, you can't go by blade type - and like I said, the overall pattern looks pretty early medieval.

If there is any other reason to put it later, I don't know about it.
I think the only reason why Oakeshott dated it to 13th century is the blade he thought looked more like XII than Xa. But than again he dated some type XII swords to 10th century because of the hilt... So nothing is definite about St. Maurice of Turin sword...
J.D. Crawford wrote:
I am not convinced either about the 13th century dating of St. Maurice (Turin). Going by its features it looks to be firmly 11th century, maybe 12th at the most.

From what I recall its historical provenance is pretty vague (discounting its mythical saintly provenance) so one can only go by its features. I seem to recall that Oakshott waffled about whether this was a type XII or an Xa, perhaps that is why he dated it later at first. Despite its narrowing toward the tip I would call it Xa-ish. But as old Oakey said many times, you can't go by blade type - and like I said, the overall pattern looks pretty early medieval.

If there is any other reason to put it later, I don't know about it.

Is not easy to distinguish a XII Oakeshott says the same.
But apparently all agree to classify the sword of Turin as a XII and not like Xa.
My sources are taken from these books:
Armi Bianche Italiane, pag. 326
Armeria Reale di Torino, tab 123.
Dating 13th seems to be accepted by many authors.
Saintly provenance, only myth.
Additional insights are welcome. :)
Ciao
Maurizio
Oakeshott talks about this sword on page 39 of 'The Sword in the Age of Chivalry'. He discusses the ambivalence of the type (X or XII) and the date (anywhere from Viking Age to 13th century), finally concluding "Unless some piece of internal evidence hitherto unnoticed comes to light, we shall never be able to be certain".
BTW - here's an update photo on my BN collection. Not nearly in Tim or Dan's league, but growing in modest steps...

Attachment: 40.3 KB
Brazil Nuts.JPG

Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Page 2 of 8

Jump to: