Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Questions on munitions grade armor. Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page Previous  1, 2 
Aaron Schnatterly

Reading list: 67 books

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Fri 12 Dec, 2008 12:37 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I was trying to recall the maker that I'd seen a good array of sallets and kettle helms from... and it finally came to mind.

www.bestarmour.com

I've not dealt with these guys directly, but have friends who have (a couple of years back), and they were very pleased, and the pieces I've seen are pretty nice.

Anyway, check out the helms link, and then both the kettle and sallet links... and they have other periods of history covered as well.
Bill Sahigan

PostPosted: Fri 12 Dec, 2008 4:18 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

yeah, Milan is nice people. good quality work. not all of them period but well put together nonetheless.
Bill Grandy
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

Reading list: 43 books

Spotlight topics: 2

PostPosted: Fri 12 Dec, 2008 4:37 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Michael Curl wrote:
I just don't like them, I"m gonna screw history probably and cross 14th century armor with burgonet.

Well, if you're doing 14th century, you likely won't be looking at sallets anyway.

I really don't recommend putting a 16th c. burgonet on a 14th c. harness, unless if you're doing a completely fantasy piece. Imagine if you showed up to work with plaid bell bottoms from the sixties, a brimmed hat from the 1940's, a big, giant 1970's perm, and a modern dress coat and tie. That's all within a century, and you can imagine how goofy that would look. Imagine how funny mixing clothing from two centuries must look. Happy

HistoricalHandcrafts.com
-Inspired by History, Crafted by Hand

"For practice is better than artfulness. Your exercise can do well without artfulness, but artfulness is not much good without the exercise.” -anonymous 15th century fencing master, MS 3227a
Michael Curl

PostPosted: Fri 12 Dec, 2008 11:34 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

some great stuff, i'm really starting to dig those bellow-faced sallets, would ths be any good or is it just cheap

http://www.medievalware.com/Bellows-Face-Sall...b0343m.htm

E Pluribus Unum
Felix R.

Reading list: 25 books

Spotlight topics: 2

PostPosted: Sat 13 Dec, 2008 12:15 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I wouldnīt take tis particular helmet it looks just cheap and the proportions donīt look right.
Randall Moffett

Reading list: 5 books

PostPosted: Sat 13 Dec, 2008 12:16 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Sorry thought you said you wanted to do 15th or 14th.

Run down on 14th. 14th century you get some pretty neat helmets. Take a look at the Pistoia alter piece (toward the bottom, Eric dates it to 1376 but it began in the 1360s so the armour has to be from before 1376 when it had finished).

http://www.arador.com/articles/spaulders3.html

Take a look at the Charles VI (king, 1380-1422) parade helmet as well. A somewhat awesome helmet for the period from late 14th to early 15th. http://www.louvre.fr/llv/commun/detail_image....eight==654

You basically have all sorts of kettle helmets, bascinets and great helms. You get some very interesting armets late 14th as well.

I agree with Bill. If you are trying for fantasy it is fine to mix and match I suppose.... though they may look odd if not done well but for any amount of historical accuracy mixing that much may turn out not so good.

RPM
Michael Curl

PostPosted: Sat 13 Dec, 2008 1:06 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Ya, agreed, now i'm thinking of either the bellow-faced sallet or an armet.
E Pluribus Unum
Randy W

Reading list: 6 books

PostPosted: Thu 25 Dec, 2008 5:42 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

you can get a lot of armour related information at armourarchive.com, although it tends to be geared more to the SCA so you get some aberations that are a result of safety concerns
Randy Westgate
Jonathan Atkin

Reading list: 4 books

PostPosted: Fri 26 Dec, 2008 4:59 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Found this on the armour archive

Guy named hugo makes it http://www.ugoserrano.com/index.html. Thought you'd be interested.

"If I must choose between righteousness and peace, I choose righteousness''. - Theodore Roosevelt
David E. Farrell

PostPosted: Tue 30 Dec, 2008 9:18 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Bill Grandy wrote:
Michael Curl wrote:
I just don't like them, I"m gonna screw history probably and cross 14th century armor with burgonet.

Well, if you're doing 14th century, you likely won't be looking at sallets anyway.

I really don't recommend putting a 16th c. burgonet on a 14th c. harness, unless if you're doing a completely fantasy piece. Imagine if you showed up to work with plaid bell bottoms from the sixties, a brimmed hat from the 1940's, a big, giant 1970's perm, and a modern dress coat and tie. That's all within a century, and you can imagine how goofy that would look. Imagine how funny mixing clothing from two centuries must look. Happy

Oh man, I have to agree. (and yeah, my harness isn't quite right yet)

Not just that, but even if you are doing a fantasy piece, you may find that some stuff just doesn't quite fit together right, making it uncomfortable to wear. On the armour archive you'll see stories of guys proclaiming how uncomfortable certain styles of gear are because of how they wear it (hint: it's generally not in a historically accurate manner... they knew what they were doing back in the day)

Personally, I would advise anyone looking to drop some dough on armour to take the time to figure out what exactly they want (fantasy, sport or historical, etc) and find things accordingly. Check out armour styles from the different periods and places (unless this is already constrained... at which point you either go with what is there or drop the historical thing all together), find a single style you like (there are plenty, I am sure you'll find a coherent style that you will like if you look) and build a suit based on that.

Even if you are doing a fantasy piece, choose stuff that goes together (unless you want to look tossed together)! Coherent look goes a long way to making things look good. Smooth lines on some parts with big flutes on others may not look quite right - just as mismatched socks may not.

/rant Razz

AKA: 'Sparky' (so I don't need to explain later Wink )

For he today that sheds his blood with me shall be my brother
-- King Henry, Henry V, William Shakespeare

Before I came here I was confused about this subject. Having listened to your lecture I am still confused... but on a higher level.
-- Enrico Fermi

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Questions on munitions grade armor.
Page 2 of 2 Reply to topic
Go to page Previous  1, 2 All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: