Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > A tattoo based on the work of Albrech Dürer Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page Previous  1, 2 
Carl Goff

Reading list: 1 book

PostPosted: Mon 15 Dec, 2008 3:49 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Congrats, Nate. My own taste in ink usually runs to designs I've created myself, but that's a gorgeous piece.

Edit: Also, if you're in Frisco, you may consider making a day trip to San Diego for your next piece. Someone recommended a fellow named Craig Driscoll to me if I was ever out that way -- apparently, he's considered one of the best tattoo artists in the US.

Here's his site so you can look at his portfolio:

http://craigdriscoll.com/splash.html

Oh, East of sands and sunlit gulf, your blood is thin, your gods are few;
You could not break the Northern wolf and now the wolf has turned on you.
The fires that light the coasts of Spain fling shadows on the Eastern strand.
Master, your slave has come again with torch and axe in his right hand!
-Robert E. Howard
Emmet J. McGauran

PostPosted: Tue 17 Mar, 2009 2:40 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I had the linework done on my first tattoo today; going back in two weeks for some shading. Nothing as elaborate and colourful as Nathan's piece though. I've gone with a 'crest' style including my family coat of arms, some Celtic knotwork, and some of my favourite swords. Took me a long time to decide what I wanted, and I ended up designing it myself in the end. It's qute a simple design, but the aesthetic appeals to me and I do think it's important to have something unique. I'll try and post a picture when it's finished and healed.
Patrick Kelly

Reading list: 42 books

Spotlight topics: 2

PostPosted: Tue 17 Mar, 2009 3:54 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

That's beautiful work Nathan and an excellent choice. Tattoos have always intrigued me, as most artwork does. It's funny you post this as I've been thinking about getting one myself. I've always had something of a personal aversion to tattoos, I've admired the expression and talent involved but never considered getting one myself until recently. I have no doubt the aversion comes from the fact that my father has a tattoo, consequently I see one and think of him which is never good.

About a year ago I was bitten on my left calf by a brown recluse spider and now have a nasty scar as a memento. Over the last fews days I've been considering getting a tattoo to cover it up. Do you plan on geting any more?
Nathan Robinson
myArmoury Admin

myArmoury Admin

PostPosted: Tue 17 Mar, 2009 4:28 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Oh wow. I forgot I posted this topic here.

Patrick Kelly wrote:
That's beautiful work Nathan and an excellent choice. Tattoos have always intrigued me, as most artwork does. It's funny you post this as I've been thinking about getting one myself. I've always had something of a personal aversion to tattoos, I've admired the expression and talent involved but never considered getting one myself until recently. I have no doubt the aversion comes from the fact that my father has a tattoo, consequently I see one and think of him which is never good.

Hi Patrick-

Thank you for the kind words. I've also been intrigued by tattoos for literally decades. It took me a long time to make the decision to take the leap for all the reasons one might imagine, but mostly because I wanted to make sure I had made up my mind on the artwork.

And that's where it's at for me: the artwork. Like you mention, it's just another form of art. I'm not sure what it is about art, but I'm drawn to it. Always have been. One form or another, it's all of interest. Go figure.

My dad had some Navy tattoos and I always thought they were neat when I was a kid. I'd look at his arm and touch it and try to rub out the ink when I was really young Happy

Quote:
About a year ago I was bitten on my left calf by a brown recluse spider and now have a nasty scar as a memento. Over the last fews days I've been considering getting a tattoo to cover it up. Do you plan on geting any more?

Keep in mind that scar tissue, particularly large areas of "softer" newer tissue is really difficult to tattoo. Some won't take ink and others will take it really badly with a "blurring" or "smudging" appearance. Many tattoo artists, particularly quality high-end ones, won't touch it. Having said that, good artists can incorporate the scar tissue into the design and make it "hide" within the art, effectively doing the same thing a cover-up would do. I'd strongly advise anyone who's thinking of getting tattoos to get a great artist under any circumstance and to consult with him about this type of work. It can end up really, really great if done by somebody good.

I do plan on getting more. In fact, I'm working on my left arm currently. It's another piece inspired by a woodcut by Albrech Dürer: this time of the Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse. Imagine my left arm being a "sinister" story of the evil things brought down to Earth (Conquest, War, Famine, Death), and the right arm being a "good" story Saint Michael cleaning house and ridding the heavens of evil.

Anyway, it's a story that's forming, I suppose. At some point, I'll have my entire upper arms half-sleeved and then I'll stop for awhile, likely to then return to other areas hidden by a shirt at some point.

As mentioned in this topic, it's a somewhat addictive thing, tattoos. Once started, it's fun to continue.

.:. Visit my Collection Gallery :: View my Reading List :: View my Wish List :: See Pages I Like :: Find me on Facebook .:.
Patrick Kelly

Reading list: 42 books

Spotlight topics: 2

PostPosted: Tue 17 Mar, 2009 4:41 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Quote:
Keep in mind that scar tissue, particularly large areas of "softer" newer tissue is really difficult to tattoo.

Very true. Fortunately I knew exactly what it was when I saw it and immediately went to the doctor. However, getting the incompetent boob of a physician to recognize it as a critter bite instead of a staff infection resulted in some assertiveness on my part. Evil I'm sure you can imagine how that went. Anyway, thankfully I wasn't left with a big hole in my leg but rather a small area the size of a quarter where the existing skin is dark and discolored. I hardly ever wear shorts except in the gym, but one must look sexy when getting ones pump on. Big Grin

I know several people with very nice tattoos from local artists and I'll speak with several of them before doing anything, if at all.

Quote:
I do plan on getting more. In fact, I'm working on my left arm currently. It's another piece inspired by a woodcut by Albrech Dürer: this time of the Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse. Imagine my left arm being a "sinister" story of the evil things brought down to Earth (Conquest, War, Famine, Death), and the right arm being a "good" story Saint Michael cleaning house and ridding the heavens of evil.

Sounds interesting. I'm assuming placing the sinister on the left arm and the good on the right is intentional?
Nathan Robinson
myArmoury Admin

myArmoury Admin

PostPosted: Tue 17 Mar, 2009 4:45 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Patrick Kelly wrote:
Sounds interesting. I'm assuming placing the sinister on the left arm and the good on the right is intentional?

Yeah, it was... and I hope not to offend any of the lefties out there Happy haha...

I find the stories of the Book of Revelation to be super interesting and love the artistic interpretations from Albrech Dürer, so this was an opportunity for me to adapt these to my own form of storytelling.

.:. Visit my Collection Gallery :: View my Reading List :: View my Wish List :: See Pages I Like :: Find me on Facebook .:.

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > A tattoo based on the work of Albrech Dürer
Page 2 of 2 Reply to topic
Go to page Previous  1, 2 All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: