Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > What's on the top of your Christmas list? Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next 
C. Gadda

PostPosted: Fri 05 Dec, 2008 12:41 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

David Black Mastro wrote:
C. Gadda wrote:
...like the old Johann Schmidberger European Hand and Half sword

Now you have me thinking of the old Johann Schmidberger katzbalger-hilted two-hander.

I recall seeing one of these at a local Renaissance Faire in New Hope, PA (it only happened for one year, IIRC). The owners had neglected this beautiful thing, and had left it exposed to the elements! The whole thing was convered with a patina of rust. Such a friggin' shame... Sad

That being said, they let me handle it, and it was light and responsive--a nice piece, IMO.

Funny you should mention that - I traded a Sempach for one of these from Christian Tobler. Currently rehilting it with hand made components to better match the original that it was based on - I'll be sure to post pix when it is done.
Allen W

PostPosted: Fri 05 Dec, 2008 2:09 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I'm with Nathan on the Knecht if we had that extra hundred, but as it is I have to go with either Albion's Hauptmann or Solingen.
Jonathan Atkin

Reading list: 4 books

PostPosted: Fri 05 Dec, 2008 2:51 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

just picked up an albion tritonia so I'm tapped lol but I just don't know which way to jump as I also have an albion agincourt (damn sexy lines) I was thinking on an albion Gaddhjalt or an albion knight as my next purchase
"If I must choose between righteousness and peace, I choose righteousness''. - Theodore Roosevelt
Tomasz B.

PostPosted: Fri 05 Dec, 2008 3:03 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

A Albion Maestro line lichtenhauer, and a Next generation Ringeck sword with a Oxblood grip.
Thomas
David Black Mastro

Reading list: 20 books

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Fri 05 Dec, 2008 4:39 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

C. Gadda wrote:
Funny you should mention that - I traded a Sempach for one of these from Christian Tobler. Currently rehilting it with hand made components to better match the original that it was based on - I'll be sure to post pix when it is done.

Please do!

"Why meddle with us--you are not strong enough to break us--you know that you have won the battle and slaughtered our army--be content with your honor, and leave us alone, for by God's good will only have we escaped from this business" --unknown Spanish captain to the Chevalier Bayard, at the Battle of Ravenna, 1512
Jeff Kaisla

Reading list: 9 books

PostPosted: Fri 05 Dec, 2008 6:00 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

If I had to pick one sword, it would be an Albion Earl with dark blue and half wire grip. Maybe after Christmas.... Big Grin
P. Cha

PostPosted: Fri 05 Dec, 2008 8:49 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Humm...tough...but with that limit, I'm going with the Albion Solingen. Shipping doesn't count towards that $1500 limits right? Otherwise I think I go 13 bucks over Razz .

But in all likelyhood, my christmas present is gonna be a training sword as I need one. It'll either be a rehilted hanwei practical or the tinkerline hanwei bastard sword.
D. Bell

PostPosted: Sat 06 Dec, 2008 12:55 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Having brought two swords and pre-ordered a third in the last six months, my 'new sword fever' is at a low point right now. My interest in axes on the other hand is rising, but there aren't any production franciscas or great axes that really appeal to me, and you did say swords.

After a bit of a look around three models come to mind, the Arms & Armor 12th Century Sword, the Albion Huscarl, and the Albion/Filmswords Ulvbane Sword. Of these I would have to go with the Huscarl, a sword I have long admired, but also a sword whose price tag has managed to grow at least as fast as my budget and keep it out of my reach.

An armed society is a polite society.

Last edited by D. Bell on Sat 06 Dec, 2008 1:43 am; edited 1 time in total
Julien M

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Sat 06 Dec, 2008 1:31 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

lol,

You all make me look all too reasonnable with my choice of a Henry V gen 2. It set my own limit to $300 dollars but since this is all virtual I'll go for the $1500 dollars mark as well Happy

Since Santa can afford it, I'll go for an Albion Sovereign, with a bronze pommel and possibly bronze guard as well.

(In the real world I'm still going to get a Henry V gen 2 though...Happy )

Cheers,

J
William Goodwin

Reading list: 20 books

PostPosted: Sat 06 Dec, 2008 3:38 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Julien M wrote:
lol,

You all make me look all too reasonnable with my choice of a Henry V gen 2. It set my own limit to $300 dollars but since this is all virtual I'll go for the $1500 dollars mark as well Happy

Since Santa can afford it, I'll go for an Albion Sovereign, with a bronze pommel and possibly bronze guard as well.

(In the real world I'm still going to get a Henry V gen 2 though...Happy )

Cheers,

J

good point..since we are just wishing here....I recant my earlier choice and put a Pavel Moc Tournament Howe sword on the top of the list...it falls with- in the price boundaries.

(like Julien...in the real world the D-T 5155 Gothic Bastard would be more realistic..but still a stretch )

Roanoke Sword Guilde

roanokeswordguilde@live.com
"I was born for this" - Joan of Arc
Scott Kowalski

PostPosted: Sat 06 Dec, 2008 11:53 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

After seeing this one I had to think about it for a bit because there are so many swords I would like to have. In this range though tops would be the Albion Tritonia, er Solingen Mad . I still cannot make my mind up! Great question though.

Scott

Last edited by Scott Kowalski on Wed 10 Dec, 2008 5:02 am; edited 2 times in total
Jeremiah Swanger

PostPosted: Sun 07 Dec, 2008 1:20 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Scott Kowalski wrote:
After seeing this one I had to think about it for a bit because there are so many swords I would like to have. In this range though tops would be the Albion Titonia, er Solingen Mad . I still cannot make my mind up! Great question though.

Scott

Having handled both, I think I can help.

If you like to do some I:33 work (or some later sword-and-buckler work, for that matter), go with the Solingen. Great for cut-n-thrust.

If you want something capable of decapitation and dismemberment, with surprisingly-agile dynamics, go with the Tritonia.

"Rhaegar fought nobly.
Rhaegar fought valiantly.
Rhaegar fought honorably.
And Rhaegar died."

- G.R.R. Martin's A Song of Ice and Fire
Scott Kowalski

PostPosted: Sun 07 Dec, 2008 6:15 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Jeremiah Swanger wrote:
Scott Kowalski wrote:
After seeing this one I had to think about it for a bit because there are so many swords I would like to have. In this range though tops would be the Albion Titonia, er Solingen Mad . I still cannot make my mind up! Great question though.

Scott

Having handled both, I think I can help.

If you like to do some I:33 work (or some later sword-and-buckler work, for that matter), go with the Solingen. Great for cut-n-thrust.

If you want something capable of decapitation and dismemberment, with surprisingly-agile dynamics, go with the Tritonia.

Tritonia it would be then Big Grin ! Now if only Santa would bring my wife a full time job! Thank you for the answer Jeremiah. I have to see about making a trip up to New Glarus one day and meet with the fine people of Albion. Until then I will settle for going to KoA when I can.

Scott
Joe Fults

PostPosted: Sun 07 Dec, 2008 7:02 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

The thing with handling the Tritonia is that I could never get past the feeling that you really needed a horse and a motley group of obnoxious peasants to fully appreciate it. Eek!
"The goal shouldn’t be to avoid being evil; it should be to actively do good." - Danah Boyd
Taylor Ellis

PostPosted: Sun 07 Dec, 2008 7:13 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I'd wish for the Albion Arn sword. Best movie sword ever. Happy
Scott Kowalski

PostPosted: Sun 07 Dec, 2008 10:59 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Joe Fults wrote:
The thing with handling the Tritonia is that I could never get past the feeling that you really needed a horse and a motley group of obnoxious peasants to fully appreciate it. Eek!

Well you know the peasants are revolting don't you Joe? Laughing Out Loud
David Etienne

Reading list: 8 books

PostPosted: Mon 08 Dec, 2008 2:59 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I would pick the Albion NextGen Kingmaker.

Cheers,

David
Jordan A.

PostPosted: Mon 08 Dec, 2008 7:41 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I might go for a longsword training blunt from one of our custom makers out there. Been meaning to learn some swordsmanship so Im not such a noob when I handle a sword.
Darwin Todd

PostPosted: Tue 09 Dec, 2008 7:06 pm    Post subject: The Thegn         Reply with quote

I would love to have the Albion Thegn. At this years Blade show I could not wait to see the Oakshotte, and a very impressive sword it is. Of all the Albions I handled at the show though ( pretty much all of them!) it was th Thegn my thoughts kept returning to. So light and so fast! Plus I don't have anything from that period in my collection.
Bennison N

PostPosted: Wed 10 Dec, 2008 2:26 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I want the eighth one down on this page:

http://www.e-sword.jp/nihontou.htm

So awesome...

"Never give a sword to a man who can't dance" - Confucius

अजयखड्गधारी

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > What's on the top of your Christmas list?
Page 3 of 4 Reply to topic
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: