Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Care of smallsword Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Bryan W.

PostPosted: Wed 21 Jan, 2009 12:41 pm    Post subject: Care of smallsword         Reply with quote

This is kind of embarrassing but probably would be much worse if I didn't ask and ruined a nice piece...

The only dumb question is that which is unasked I guess.

I recently ordered a new small sword, my first custom piece actually (which is more expensive than what I have bought in the past and am very excited about it) and as a result I'm now getting paranoid and wanting to make sure I'm taking care of things as well and as often as I should be.

I was curious if anyone could point me out towards not only a good page that can instruct/refresh me on what I need to do to take care of blades (to make sure I'm doing it right/often enough) but also if anyone could point out to a good place to order some reliable kits so I can do so. In the past I used the kit by Hanwei but I want to make sure that's comparable to what others use. Or if that's ok if I should also be using something else in addition.
Sean Flynt

Reading list: 13 books

Spotlight topics: 7

PostPosted: Wed 21 Jan, 2009 1:11 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Something like this?

http://www.myArmoury.com/feature_care.html

-Sean

Author of the Little Hammer novel

https://www.amazon.com/Little-Hammer-Sean-Flynt/dp/B08XN7HZ82/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=little+hammer+book&qid=1627482034&sr=8-1
Bryan W.

PostPosted: Wed 21 Jan, 2009 3:48 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thanks Sean! I missed this somehow.

If I don't use a sword for a time period for one reason or another is 6 months still a good time to re-oil though? Or do you wait longer typically?
Sean Flynt

PostPosted: Thu 22 Jan, 2009 6:24 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

There are too many variables to prescribe a schedule. I use Renaissance Wax on my swords and can go much longer than six months before any cleaning. They look better (brighter) after cleaning, but I don't see much rust unless they go a couple of years without any attention. Used according to the instructions, the wax does its job very well and is invisible and clean. I should note that I'm not obsessive about my collection. Folks who want a pristine finish every minute of every day would certainly need to establish a schedule of basic cleaning.

I'd say, just look them over every couple of months and clean them when they look dusty and dim. If you handle them much, just avoid touching the blade and other steel parts. Maybe keep a rag handy for when you do handle the pieces so you can quickly wipe off hand oils/salt. Then give the pieces a good cleaning, polish and re-waxing/oiling once per year (make it a Christmas ritual, for example). If nothing else, this is a good way to keep in touch with your reasons for owning the pieces. I always reconnect with a sword when I clean it--which is a problem since I usually only thoroughly clean and polish a piece just before I ship it off to a new owner. Big Grin

-Sean

https://www.amazon.com/Little-Hammer-Sean-Flynt/dp/B08XN7HZ82/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=little+hammer+book&qid=1627482034&sr=8-1
Bryan W.

PostPosted: Thu 22 Jan, 2009 7:18 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I always polished/oiled after using a piece or handling it or every 6 mths whichever came first. I probably am doing it too often then I guess. So basically though you polish, oil and then use wax as a final coat on the blade? Or is the wax instead of the oil? I've never used the Ren Wax before.
Sean Flynt

PostPosted: Thu 22 Jan, 2009 7:37 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Starting with clean steel (but not necessarily degreased,) I just apply a small amount of wax to a cloth and rub it over all steel surfaces until the wax is no longer visible. Following up with a clean, dry cloth gives a final polish. This method also removes any residue, dust, etc. acquired in whatever work I've done on the steel. I might do this once a year but it's probably more like every 1.5 years. But, yes, just the wax. No oil or anything else, and no other formal care other than briefly wiping the blade if I happen to touch it. Ren wax is worth the price.

FWIW, I don't handle my swords regularly or train with them, and the usual state of my swords is slightly dim rather than bright. I suspect that an oiled blade would be somewhat brighter than a waxed blade. The trade-off is great, clean and long-lasting protection--a good choice if you don't regularly handle/train with your collection. Otherwise, I think many folks use gun cloths.

I think it probably comes down to use: If your collection is a museum, try Renaissance Wax. If it's an armoury, try oil and regular care.

-Sean

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Care of smallsword
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic