Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Sport Combat vs Real Combat. Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next 
David Black Mastro

Reading list: 20 books

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Thu 04 Dec, 2008 9:36 am    Post subject: Re: Sport Combat vs Real Combat.         Reply with quote

Vassilis Tsafatinos wrote:
I am picking this topic up from the Spartan vs Samari thread since that went off topic and I think this is worth discussing.

David Black Mastro wrote:

... the notion that combat sports are somehow inferior because of the "tournament" setting...

My study of history points me in the direction that ancient Greeks, Romans and Medieval people primarily engaged in games that were warlike. Their interest in these games was mainly in that they were warlike.

Games were demonstrations of military prowess. The earliest record I have come across is the funerary games in the Iliad. We are all familiar with the Olympic games from the classical period. These games focused on javelin, shot put, discus which were weapons. It is not hard to see the military use of running and wrestling.

The Roman games consisted mostly of chariot racing and gladiatorial games as well. Again these are very warlike. Contrary to what people might think, gladiators usually did not die when they fought each other. They were considered far to valuable to waste like that. Gladiators mainly spilled the blood of less valuable people and animals. Gladiatorial contracts usually had a clause so that their owners would receive special compensation in the event that their Gladiator died. These leads me to believe that death is not the necessary factor to make fighting realistic.

On the contrary, gladiators died in the area quite often, though it varied from century to century, according to the sentiments of those in power. Augustus, for example, did away with the practive of sine missus, where the losing fighter was always put to death.

In Gladiators, Michael Grant noted that there were "warm-up" contests involving fighters who fought with mock wooden weapons--these men were known as lusorii. After those bouts, the serious contests with "sharps" (arma decretoria) began. There was even a testing ceremony (probatio armorum) to show the audience that the weapons were indeed sharp.

In Gladiators 100 BC-AD 200, Stephen Wisdom pointed out that 1st century AD tombstones show that the average age for the death of gladiators was 27. At the gladiator cemetery in Ephesus, western Turkey, the average age of death for the contestants was 25--a little more than half the age for the average Roman at that time (see "The Gladiator Diet--How to Eat, Exercise, and Die A Violent Death" by Andrew Curry, in the Nov/Dec 2008 issue of Archeology). Historian Georges Ville examined 100 1st century gladiatorial combats, and found that only 19 men died--a 9:1 chance of survival; but that, in the 3rd century, one fighter died in every other combat.

"Why meddle with us--you are not strong enough to break us--you know that you have won the battle and slaughtered our army--be content with your honor, and leave us alone, for by God's good will only have we escaped from this business" --unknown Spanish captain to the Chevalier Bayard, at the Battle of Ravenna, 1512
Marc Pengryffyn

PostPosted: Thu 04 Dec, 2008 9:40 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Marc Pengryffyn wrote:
Christian Henry Tobler wrote:
but again, this has little to do with a modern system invented in a California backyard.

Marc,

I obviously cannot speak for Christian, ...
... I realize there are plenty of SCA members who are thoroughly passionate about their organization, but I'm also willing to venture that there are at least as many WMA/HEMA practitioners & researchers who are critical of it.

Best,

David

Hi David,

You posted this while I was writing my reply to Chris, so I'll let you read that as part of my reply to part of your post to me (if that makes sense, its 4am here, and I should be asleep!).

I think you misunderstand my response to Christian. I thought I'd made it very plain that I'm not addressing the issue of SCA combat's historicity, or lack of it. Frankly, I just don't care one way or the other. Historicity doesn't interest me. My sole quibble is with the apparently dismissive tone of the "invented in a backyard in California" line. My post to Chris Fields explains why I think its an inaccurate statement, and why I think the inaccuracy matters.

I'm only too aware that many HEMA people are critical of the SCA. One can hardly be unaware of it! I'm critical of many aspects of the SCA myself. But that criticism can and should be expressed politely. Christian's comment was unnecessary to his argument, inaccurate, and can too easily be seen as rudeness. I'm willing to accept that any insult was unintentional, if he says so. I'm enthusiastic about the work that HEMA practitioners do, but I don't believe they do themselves or their arts any credit if they don't express their opinions about the SCA accurately and politely.

I'm also deeply puzzled as to why they feel the need for such trenchant criticism. To me, the two are chalk and cheese, and I would have thought the world was big enough for them to coexist. Food for another thread, perhaps, but not one that I'll be starting!

Cheers

Marc

Tradition is the illusion of permanence.
David Black Mastro

PostPosted: Thu 04 Dec, 2008 9:50 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Marc Pengryffyn wrote:
Marc Pengryffyn wrote:
Christian Henry Tobler wrote:
but again, this has little to do with a modern system invented in a California backyard.

Marc,

I obviously cannot speak for Christian, ...
... I realize there are plenty of SCA members who are thoroughly passionate about their organization, but I'm also willing to venture that there are at least as many WMA/HEMA practitioners & researchers who are critical of it.

Best,

David

Hi David,

You posted this while I was writing my reply to Chris, so I'll let you read that as part of my reply to part of your post to me (if that makes sense, its 4am here, and I should be asleep!).

Yeah, it makes sense.

Quote:
I think you misunderstand my response to Christian. I thought I'd made it very plain that I'm not addressing the issue of SCA combat's historicity, or lack of it. Frankly, I just don't care one way or the other. Historicity doesn't interest me. My sole quibble is with the apparently dismissive tone of the "invented in a backyard in California" line. My post to Chris Fields explains why I think its an inaccurate statement, and why I think the inaccuracy matters.

I'm only too aware that many HEMA people are critical of the SCA. One can hardly be unaware of it! I'm critical of many aspects of the SCA myself. But that criticism can and should be expressed politely. Christian's comment was unnecessary to his argument, inaccurate, and can too easily be seen as rudeness.

I'll leave the "rudeness" bit to diplomats, but I honestly don't see how Christian's comment was "inaccurate" or "unnecessary".

Quote:
I'm willing to accept that any insult was unintentional, if he says so. I'm enthusiastic about the work that HEMA practitioners do, but I don't believe they do themselves or their arts any credit if they don't express their opinions about the SCA accurately and politely.

I'm also deeply puzzled as to why they feel the need for such trenchant criticism. To me, the two are chalk and cheese, and I would have thought the world was big enough for them to coexist. Food for another thread, perhaps, but not one that I'll be starting!

Cheers

Marc

Perhaps the "trenchant criticism" is a sort of backlash resulting from the 40-odd years of myth and misinformation that the SCA has perpetuated--unintentionally or otherwise--about Medieval and Renaissance fighting arts. Seeing the same stuff over and over again gets downright frustrating to those folks (like myself) who do care about "historicity".

Best,

David

P.S. Now get some sleep, bro! Happy

"Why meddle with us--you are not strong enough to break us--you know that you have won the battle and slaughtered our army--be content with your honor, and leave us alone, for by God's good will only have we escaped from this business" --unknown Spanish captain to the Chevalier Bayard, at the Battle of Ravenna, 1512
Chad Arnow
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

PostPosted: Thu 04 Dec, 2008 10:04 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I'm surprised how many posts have been spent on one simple comment. Certainly there are better things to discuss, right? Happy

Let's all get on with more important and fun things. Let's stop the quibbling and fights between organizations. Let's stop taking everything personally and realize it's just not worth getting so upset over.

Let's get on with a good, informative thread. Happy

Happy

ChadA

http://chadarnow.com/
Max Chouinard

PostPosted: Thu 04 Dec, 2008 10:22 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I don't think this debate is going to end here but...

I think it's a fairly known thing that when you "sportify" something the rules are used and bent by the fighters. Take pre 20th century bare knuckle boxing and modern boxing. They just don't look alike. People have different blocks and guards, stepping and even punches because of the use of gloves and the interdiction of grappling. It results in broken wrist (at best) in real life encounters or death. It is the case of every sportified martial art that I know of. Take fencing, if someone uses his hand be it to grapple or grab the blade, the fencer just won't know what to do, it's not a programmed possibility in his mind.

I think it's Royce Gracie that recently came up and criticized the current state of MMA (I also practise BJJ and did 8 years of kyokushin), saying that people weren't there to test their methods but to learn MMA and win competitions, a style which is now usefull in the rule set of ultimate combat. This is what always happen, at first it seems good, gets more people interested, but then people get to know the rules and use them to win. Of course it is very usefull in most confrontations as people today aren't that much trained in general and most are in medicocre physical shape, but it just takes one mistake from you or one crafty street fighter to bring it all down.

Every culture had combat sports, but none of them saw it as a complete system for fighting. The japanese for example had sumai (ancestor of sumo) which pretty much everyone practiced, so there was not much need for free fighting in regular MA classes. Today things changed, people don't have the time to practice sumo anymore, so some schools adapt and practice randori or other methods to replace it. We can't just see those methods as black and white in their training, some have shades of grey.

Maxime Chouinard

Antrim Bata

Quebec City Kenjutsu

I don't do longsword
Ben C.

PostPosted: Thu 04 Dec, 2008 12:03 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

experience is one of the most important factors in developing a fighter's ability and best way to gain experience is to practice against fully resisting opponents in as open an environment as possible. most people will only have a few confrontations in their lives, if that, and even a professional fighters usually have only 20-30 fights. By comparison you can spa hundreds of times against many opponents within a single month hence why it is such an important development tool.

Now unarmed combat can be broken into 3 categories; striking, wrestling and submissions. It doesn't matter if it is in the ring, between two disarmed knights on a 15th century battlefield, or in an alley outside a bar; those are the basics of fighting. Even eyegouging, biting and strikes to the groin fall into these 3 categories. Various sporting competitions implement rules which limit the use of certain techniques however the skills that are allowed are still transferable to a more open environment.

For example boxing is an extremely restricted sport yet the skills it develops in terms of punching, head movement and footwork are easily transferable into less restricted sports such as kickboxing and MMA. It also transfers extremely well to real fighting. This is not just an assumption on my part and I can back up my claims with numerous video evidence of the effectiveness of boxing on the street.

Of course boxing is not a complete art but my point is that the skills it's develop still apply regardless of whether they are used in a ring or on the street. Of course a boxer who fails to develop other skills is going to be very vulnerable in a real fight but his boxing skills are not going to magically disappear. Any sport that allows people to fight at 100% against fully resisting opponents and develop skills in these 3 areas is going to be applicable to real fighter. The more techniques it allows the better prepared for street fighting that person will be.

A person who is unable to compete or win at all in MMA is also extremely unlikely to be able to fight for real. If you can't strike in a sporting event you are not going to be able to strike for real. The same goes for wrestling and submissions, if you can't manage it in the ring, you are not going to be able to do it on the street. either. Eye gouging, biting and slamming someone on concrete makes things a lot different but I can guarantee that it will be the better and more experienced grappler/wrestler who will be the one who can put himself into position to use these techniques. Again I have videos of these exact situations. Groin strikes too changes things a lot but it's going to be the guy who has good footwork and is good at striking who is going to be able to land those groin strikes.

Simply put sport fighting is not the same as real fighting but the vast majority of techniques can and do still apply. A punch is still a punch, a kick is still a kick and a slam is still a slam. I would always put my money on a guy who has hundreds of full contact sparring matches under his belt over a self defence guy who likely doesn't know how to punch, doesn't know how to wrestle and who has likely never had a real fight against a skilled opponent before in his life.
Ben C.

PostPosted: Thu 04 Dec, 2008 1:04 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Chris Fields wrote:
To often though, I work with MMA people and others, who's training is focused on what they can do in the ring, and they some times forget that real situations do not have rules and limits. Before my ankle surgery, I held an open Friday Night Fights class were we trained sparring techniques from who ever was interested in teaching them for an hour, and then went strait into light sparring for a half hour, and then contact sparring for the rest of the evening. We have several MMA guys who came and loved it. We trained more for real world self defense, with poice officers and such, more than for "in the ring" fighting. The MMA guys often noted that many of their techniques, especially grappling, would be useless against some one who did not obide by their rules. Good Example: one MMA guy attempted to grapple when their sparring session went to the ground. He attempted to wrap his legs and get into a guard from the bottom. The opponent, a police officer, just took his knee and planted it on his Crotch (which still sucks, even with a cup on) and took the blade of his hand and pressed on this throat. The MMA guy was useless, and stated he would of never thought about that because it's against their rules. Things like this happened all the time. The problem is, you can't safely practice hitting someone in the throat, or striking in the eyes, so it's not done in sparring, and it's definitly not allow in the ring, but it is allowed in reality, know what I mean?

anyone can claim to be an "mma guy" but I doubt the guys you are describing had any real experience other than watching a few UFCs on TV. Nothing you mentioned is illegal in MMA or grappling, especially in training, and the techniques you mentioned are things beginners learn to deal with in their first couple of weeks. I think you might be surprised at how much rough housing and dirty play actually goes on during MMA training. As for your specific techniques, putting your knee on someone's crotch is a pretty standard way of making room to pass guard. The problem being that a even a half decent BJJ guy won't give you even the initial space to allow you to do that and will have your posture broken down in no time unless you know how to grapple too. Putting our hand on someone's throat while still in their guard is an extremely bad idea too because it leaves you wide open for arm locks or triangle chokes. Basically if you don't know how to grapple, it's going to be the grappler who is controls where the fight goes and what position he will be in.

It's also a common misconception among self defence guys that MMA guys wouldn't be able to perform on the street but what you have to realise is a lot of these guys come from very rough backgrounds and have a lot of street fighting experience. This is especially true of the fighters from Brazil and Russia, both of which are far more dangerous countries than the US. These are people who have actually faught real life and death fights on the street as opposed to guys who just theorise about what it might be like. Take Ryan Gracie for example; Ryan (now deceased) was a much feared street thug in Brazil who was involved in a numerous street confrontations (both armed and unarmed) and had both stabbed other people and been stabbed&shot in a number of these. Yet he was a pure jujutsu guy who relied heavily on grappling. He was originally famous for biting another guys ear off during a closed door challenge match. Now Ryan is not a person who is worthy of any respect but he is an example that MMA guys can and do fight for real without any problems.

Now of course nearly everyone involved in any martial art has heard tall tales of street fights involving countless attackers. However there are two good examples of MMA fighters being involved in large confrontations that have been corroborated by independent witnesses and police & media reports. One was with Carlos Newton, the other with Urijah Faber. Newton, who faught at 170lbs in the UFC, was caught up in a large scale confrontation when his friend was attacked by a gang inside a nightclub in Canada. Newton and his 2 friends were attacked by reportedly around 2 dozen attackers but Newton was able to fight them off and get both him and his friends to a taxi where they retreated to a local hospital. Newton himself was stabbed during the fight which shows how serious it was. Urijah Faber, a 145 lbs WEC fighter, was involved in a similar incident. He got into a fight with a local outside a Bali nightclub who turned out to be a member of a local crime group. What started as a one on one fight quickly escalated into a fight against over a dozen guys, some how were armed with brass knuckles and bottles. An interview with Faber where he relates the story in great detail is actually available on youtube.
Jean Thibodeau

Reading list: 1 book

Spotlight topics: 5

PostPosted: Thu 04 Dec, 2008 1:05 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Maybe one can keep this simple by focussing on " intent ":

1) Fighting is using any and all means to win without rules ( Well, normally without rules unless we count duels which may have rules or cultural rules limiting what is considered honourable fighting ).

The intent is to kill or overcome the opponent and avoid death and injury to oneself: There is no restraint on what can be done based on the wellbeing of the opponent.

2) Training for real fighting: Almost the same as above except that some techniques can't be fully utilized safely and the most important difference from real fighting is that some restraint is needed to not harm one's training partners.

The acceptable risks taken may vary if one is training to learn a martial art that one will probably never need to use or if one is training for actual fighting in war, law enforcement or selfdefence and one knows they are actually going into battle: In such a case one might risk serious injury or death during the training as it's the best way to later survive !

The Intent is to learn to fight and not get killed while doing it.

3) Sports training were the intent is to win competitions which can change the nature of the techniques used to reflect winning strategies and where the combat value becomes secondary.

You can easily give up your freedom. You have to fight hard to get it back!
David Black Mastro

PostPosted: Thu 04 Dec, 2008 1:31 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Max Chouinard wrote:
I don't think this debate is going to end here but...

I think it's a fairly known thing that when you "sportify" something the rules are used and bent by the fighters.

They can be "bent", but they don't invariably have to be.

Quote:
Take pre 20th century bare knuckle boxing and modern boxing. They just don't look alike. People have different blocks and guards, stepping and even punches because of the use of gloves and the interdiction of grappling. It results in broken wrist (at best) in real life encounters or death.

Just because the bare-knuckle pugilism of the London Prize ring was different from modern boxing, it does not mean that the latter is ineffective. They emphasize different skillsets and attributes. LPR rules allowed standing grappling. LPR bare-knuckle contests were also gruelling affairs of endurance, since a man had some 30 seconds to rest after going down--this explains why LPR bouts were often so long. For what it's worth, even after the introduction of gloves, boxers still taught their art from both a "sport" and "street" aspect--that's where the notion of "foul blows" and/or "dirty boxing" comes from. Gloved boxers from "Terrible" Terry McGovern (c. 1899) onwards have taught the street self-defense aspects of the "Sweet Science".

Quote:
It is the case of every sportified martial art that I know of. Take fencing, if someone uses his hand be it to grapple or grab the blade, the fencer just won't know what to do, it's not a programmed possibility in his mind.

That is both a gross over-simplification and rash assumption, on your part.

Quote:
I think it's Royce Gracie that recently came up and criticized the current state of MMA (I also practise BJJ and did 8 years of kyokushin), saying that people weren't there to test their methods but to learn MMA and win competitions, a style which is now usefull in the rule set of ultimate combat. This is what always happen, at first it seems good, gets more people interested, but then people get to know the rules and use them to win. Of course it is very usefull in most confrontations as people today aren't that much trained in general and most are in medicocre physical shape, but it just takes one mistake from you or one crafty street fighter to bring it all down.

When no-holds-barred (NHB) events first became popular in the early 1990s, it was very much a "Style vs. Style" affair, with exponents from various arts (Brazilian jiu-jitsu, Japanese shootfighting, savate, karate, kung-fu, judo, sambo, boxing, sumo wrestling, et al) pitted against each other. It frankly didn't take too long to see which arts actually worked, and which ones didn't. Eventually, fighters began to cross-train in areas they were weak in, and it totally changed the game. Now, NHB events have evolved into mixed martial arts (MMA)--where fighters have to be competent in a variety of skillsets--standup striking, takedowns, throws, ground grappling, and so forth. What was once a "Style vs. Style" encounter is now much more akin to the Ancient Greek pankration--that is, an "All Powers" mode of unarmed combat.

Quote:
Every culture had combat sports, but none of them saw it as a complete system for fighting.

But all of them found combat sports to be essential for the training of their troops.

Bill Tsafa

PostPosted: Thu 04 Dec, 2008 1:52 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Steven H wrote:

The point that Vassilis is making, I believe, and one I agree with, is that tourneys, melees, haslitudes and jousts are all elements of a complete martial/real training program. Certainly not the only element. But a distinct part of the program. I know at least one author of the period stated that a man is not ready for war until he has been knocked down 20 times in a tournament. Further, many great warriors of the Medieval period participated in far more tourneys than wars such as William Marshall.

Altogether we have the concept of triangulation. The training most like real combat is real combat. So to train more safely one must engage in a variety of types of training so that together one is prepared for war when the time comes.

Cheers,
Steven

You have captured the point I was trying to make very well. Thank you helping to further clarify.

I will post a quote from my website that I think sums up my training philosophy.

Quote:
In any training system some compromises will have to be made for the sake of safety. Either, the weapons will be padded, or the moves will be slow and controlled, or the armor will be unrealistically heavy, etc... I am sure that when medieval knights trained they also observed some restraints. Not a good idea to kill ones own squires. My opinion is that by training using different methods you will round out the shortcomings and compromises of any one training system.

No athlete/youth can fight tenaciously who has never received any blows: he must see his blood flow and hear his teeth crack... then he will be ready for battle.
Roger of Hoveden, 1174-1201
www.poconoshooting.com
www.poconogym.com

Last edited by Bill Tsafa on Thu 04 Dec, 2008 2:31 pm; edited 2 times in total
Chris Fields

PostPosted: Thu 04 Dec, 2008 2:21 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

"When no-holds-barred (NHB) events first became popular in the early 1990s, it was very much a "Style vs. Style" affair, with exponents from various arts (Brazilian jiu-jitsu, Japanese shootfighting, savate, karate, kung-fu, judo, sambo, boxing, sumo wrestling, et al) pitted against each other. It frankly didn't take too long to see which arts actually worked, and which ones didn't. Eventually, fighters began to cross-train in areas they were weak in, and it totally changed the game. Now, NHB events have evolved into mixed martial arts (MMA)--where fighters have to be competent in a variety of skillsets--standup striking, takedowns, throws, ground grappling, and so forth. What was once a "Style vs. Style" encounter is now much more akin to the Ancient Greek pankration--that is, an "All Powers" mode of unarmed combat."

Dave, I see what you are saying, but I have to use your own words against you here. It wasn't what "Styles" or "Arts" actually worked or didn't. It was more of who was training correctly vs who wasn't training correctly. The first NHB tournaments were a wake up call to all Martial Artist that they need to practice actual practical applications of their art if they ever want to defend themselves or step into the ring. Just practicing forms all day doesn't cut it. This is something many martial artist, including myself, have been screaming for years, even prior to the NHB competitions.

I face this same issue in my own art style. I teach a southern style of Kung Fu, Kun Tao, similar to silat. Most people who hear "kung fu" think of someone doing slow tai chi forms or doing fantsy forms with floppy tin foil swords. This is so because many Kung Fu martials arts started teaching more for sport and lost the actual real training methods of the arts that use to be very effective. This is what brought about the floppy sword and acrobatic Wu Shu, which are fun for sport and show, but not for real application. Most Kung Fu styles are very effective when trained correctly as they should be.

A good example of some one who has brought back proper training methods in Kung Fu is Chung Le and his teachers and students. I have followed his career since the early 90s in San Shou, and am glad he is as successful as he is.

Another good example; I trained with some people from a traditional Tae Kwan Do school, and I was amazed of how well they preformed in contact sparring. They're kicks were like lightening fast hammers, and they rarely kicked above the waist. They're hands needed alot of work, but I loved how they trained they're kicks. Again, when you think of Tae Kwan Do, many people think of the corner McDojo, but this group was doing it right.
Dan P

PostPosted: Thu 04 Dec, 2008 2:25 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I've studied sambo for self-defense for many years. Many people I met and worked with in the classes did not have any experience with any kind of martial art or martial sport before joining (including myself). Many people took classes with previous experience in sports like judo and boxing. These people often pick up self-defense techniques faster than people with no "sport" experience, at least from my experience.

I think the reason for this is that most sports derived and formalized from fighting still preserve the fundamental skills required to be a fighter- balance, distance, and aggression. A person who knows all the techniques in the manual, and maybe even can perform them under controlled circumstances, cannot be a good fighter without being able to move on his feet, judge the distance from which an opponent can strike, and be bold enough to take the initiative when an opening is available. But every good sportsman already has these fundamentals, in one form or another, regardless of any artificial set of rules the sport itself operates under. So I would never discount a person as a fighter even if "all that he knows is boxing with gloves"- he's certainly got a better chance to survive a real combat than lots of other people. And after all, that's the point of combat training.
Bill Tsafa

PostPosted: Thu 04 Dec, 2008 2:32 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

BTW, I did not intend to steer this discussion into an SCA specific debate. I was actually thinking of Hugh Knight's position within the WMA community that takes a strong stand against free-sparring because in his opinion their is no "perfect sparring" and anything less is "distorted" and not good training (I think that kind of waiting to find the perfect woman). There is a balance between perfect technique and experience. I think that somewhere in the middle yields the best result. I don't think that good fight training is possible without experience in fighting. Things happen in a real fight that can not be anticipated, you may have to settle for throwing that Zornheu from an unbalanced position when the ground under you is not even. Being able to execute your technique as best as you can when the situation is not ideal is where experience weighs in and fills the gap.

You can read his opinions here:
http://talhoffer.blogspot.com/2008/02/bouting...l-art.html

He also takes a strong stance against test-cutting.
http://talhoffer.blogspot.com/2008/02/myth-of-test-cutting.html

Huge Knight has done his own historic translations and published books, he has his own students, so you can't just dismiss him. We need to consider what he is saying and decide if he is wrong or right. That is the purpose of this thread I started. Please don't attack the man himself, let us consider the points.

No athlete/youth can fight tenaciously who has never received any blows: he must see his blood flow and hear his teeth crack... then he will be ready for battle.
www.poconoshooting.com
www.poconogym.com

Last edited by Bill Tsafa on Thu 04 Dec, 2008 2:48 pm; edited 3 times in total
Lucas LaVoy

PostPosted: Thu 04 Dec, 2008 2:46 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I think Steven and Ben's points actually dovetail nicely; it looks like everyone can agree that different arts/sports/events/what-have-you all focus on different, limited sets of skills? So, boxing is a very limited set of techniques, just like jousting was, or wrestling; you get the idea. It just makes sense that each of them would comprise a small part of the complete "package" that would be applied in a war situation. They all incidentally are limited in such a way that you don't (theoretically) get killed while competing, and they probably are more fun for the spectators that way as well (or at least most spectators...hooligans excluded).

I think another effect of the limited rule sets is that the athletes (as opposed to soldiers) have the opportunity to develop a huge degree of depth in what they do; in other words, a boxer gets really really good at punching (and, without wanting to rekindle any latent SCA-related angst, the limited rule set makes good SCA fighters tough customers in the areas/situations in which they specialize). In fact, because of the limitations, they have to develop great skill and depth in order to succeed in competition (as well as athleticism of course). And likely, that development wouldn't occur in real-life martial situations, because (a) the stakes are too high to experiment (b) the limitations aren't there so there's no reason to focus on say, punching exclusively, and (c) the payoff for successful innovation isn't necessarily there the way it would be in a sporting context.

If this is true, then the development of technique and strategy for the limited situations that results from the narrow application of a combat sport can actually come back around and be applied in the broader context of real-world or military situations. Maybe these sports can function as R&D departments in that respect.
Lucas LaVoy

PostPosted: Thu 04 Dec, 2008 2:59 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

sorry about that Vassilis, didn't mean to redirect but you beat me to the post button
Bill Tsafa

PostPosted: Thu 04 Dec, 2008 3:39 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Lucas LaVoy wrote:
sorry about that Vassilis, didn't mean to redirect but you beat me to the post button

That is quite alright Lucas. We can include SCA in this discussion too, but I intended it to be more broad. You brought up a great point about how the SCA rules have in fact forced people to further develop an refine the skills needed to to succeed. The perfect example of this was a month ago when I got to fight two guys that recently came over from Russia. They fight in those wild live steel combat videos you see on You Tube. I watched them fight each other then then I fought both of them within "their" rule sets. All of us were using shields. I watched them as they mainly concentrated on hitting each others low legs or getting a high shot when the shield came nearly a foot down. When I fought them I was able to one shot kill them almost everytime. The reason is because I only need the shield to drop two inches to get a headshot. That is what I train to do and they don't. I don't need to go all the way to their shin to get a legshot, I can hit much higher when I get that small opening. Not having to go to the lowleg means I can fight at a greater range. Off-side and slot shots are not something they use either. They means they were squaring up and I was just dropping shots in. I didn't even bother with throwing wrapshots against them. Of course this is just a sample of two guys out of a much larger pool so take it for what its worth, but they told me that this is how they fight back home. I kick myself for not having video but I was not expecting this encounter.

www.poconoshooting.com
www.poconogym.com
David Black Mastro

PostPosted: Thu 04 Dec, 2008 3:45 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Chris Fields wrote:
"When no-holds-barred (NHB) events first became popular in the early 1990s, it was very much a "Style vs. Style" affair, with exponents from various arts (Brazilian jiu-jitsu, Japanese shootfighting, savate, karate, kung-fu, judo, sambo, boxing, sumo wrestling, et al) pitted against each other. It frankly didn't take too long to see which arts actually worked, and which ones didn't. Eventually, fighters began to cross-train in areas they were weak in, and it totally changed the game. Now, NHB events have evolved into mixed martial arts (MMA)--where fighters have to be competent in a variety of skillsets--standup striking, takedowns, throws, ground grappling, and so forth. What was once a "Style vs. Style" encounter is now much more akin to the Ancient Greek pankration--that is, an "All Powers" mode of unarmed combat."

Dave, I see what you are saying, but I have to use your own words against you here. It wasn't what "Styles" or "Arts" actually worked or didn't. It was more of who was training correctly vs who wasn't training correctly.

No offense intended, but that's the classic excuse, that enables everyone to "feel good" about their chosen system(s).

You know, the tired cliche of, "It's not the art, it's the practitioner".

Quote:
The first NHB tournaments were a wake up call to all Martial Artist that they need to practice actual practical applications of their art if they ever want to defend themselves or step into the ring. Just practicing forms all day doesn't cut it. This is something many martial artist, including myself, have been screaming for years, even prior to the NHB competitions.

Ever notice how numerous martial arts are markedly absent from the modern MMA mix? The arts that have actually proven themselves to be effective include: Brazilian jiu-jitsu, Japanese shootfighting, judo, sambo, Western boxing, Western wrestling (freestyle/folkstyle, Greco-Roman, and catch-as-catch-can), and muay Thai. Combat sports. The ostensibly "street lethal" methods--traditional karate & kung-fu, Israeli HTH, etc.,--have singularly failed, when put to the test.

Quote:
I face this same issue in my own art style. I teach a southern style of Kung Fu, Kun Tao, similar to silat. Most people who hear "kung fu" think of someone doing slow tai chi forms or doing fantsy forms with floppy tin foil swords. This is so because many Kung Fu martials arts started teaching more for sport and lost the actual real training methods of the arts that use to be very effective. This is what brought about the floppy sword and acrobatic Wu Shu, which are fun for sport and show, but not for real application. Most Kung Fu styles are very effective when trained correctly as they should be.

I wholeheartedly disagree.

The lack of effectiveness of most current kung-fu has nothing to do with the advent of "sport"--far from it. I'd say the biggest single factor that has led to the ineffectiveness of most kung-fu today is the functional dilution that occured over the past 150 years or so. During that time, China went through various crises, including her beatdown by the Western Colonial Powers and Japan (eg., look at the Opium Wars and Boxer Rebellion), and the horrible Cultural Revolution, during the mid-20th century. During those periods of violent change, it's clear that a great number of Chinese martial artists were killed. We may never know just how many talented fighters were lost. In any case, the end result was a functional dilution of the existing methods, where martial arts often became warped into performance art (eg., modern "wushu"), and where there was an increasing emphasis on the "fantastick", for lack of a better term.

Quote:
A good example of some one who has brought back proper training methods in Kung Fu is Chung Le and his teachers and students. I have followed his career since the early 90s in San Shou, and am glad he is as successful as he is.

Using Chung Le as an example of "proper training methods in Kung Fu" is a bit of a stretch, IMO.

For one thing, Le is a competitor in san shou/sanda competition, which is kickboxing combined with throws. It remains unclear as to whether san shou is a legitimate "survivor" of the national crises that beset China that I mentioned above, or a modern invention, that borrows from arts like muay Thai. If it's the former, then great--there's your "real" kung-fu. If not, then it's simply not an example of what you claim.

As for Le himself, we should take note of his actual background in various arts. People seem to forget that he was a rather good Greco-Roman wrestler in his college days. He's done freestyle as well, but seems more known for his Greco skills--in any case, he's definitely not stopping takedowns with "kung-fu". And FWIW, the suplex (properly pronounced "soo-play" for you WWF/WWE types out there) figures pretty heavily in san shou.

So the question remains--how much of san shou is actually "kung-fu"?

Quote:
Another good example; I trained with some people from a traditional Tae Kwan Do school, and I was amazed of how well they preformed in contact sparring. They're kicks were like lightening fast hammers, and they rarely kicked above the waist. They're hands needed alot of work, but I loved how they trained they're kicks. Again, when you think of Tae Kwan Do, many people think of the corner McDojo, but this group was doing it right.

Yeah, a friend of mine came originally from a TKD background, and he trained at what he called a "Tae Kwon Do School of Hard Knocks". That being said, he largely abandoned TKD for muay Thai during his career fighting in local shootfights and NHB events.

Max Chouinard

PostPosted: Thu 04 Dec, 2008 4:38 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Quote:
Just because the bare-knuckle pugilism of the London Prize ring was different from modern boxing, it does not mean that the latter is ineffective. They emphasize different skillsets and attributes. LPR rules allowed standing grappling. LPR bare-knuckle contests were also gruelling affairs of endurance, since a man had some 30 seconds to rest after going down--this explains why LPR bouts were often so long. For what it's worth, even after the introduction of gloves, boxers still taught their art from both a "sport" and "street" aspect--that's where the notion of "foul blows" and/or "dirty boxing" comes from. Gloved boxers from "Terrible" Terry McGovern (c. 1899) onwards have taught the street self-defense aspects of the "Sweet Science".

Of course, but I put them under the same umbrella as bare knuckle fighting. They came from a tradition that didn't concerned itself to winning by the new rules. Do you see boxers with no other training winning in MMA? No, or at least very rarely. You are actually helping me making my point. Specialised sports with tight rulesets can be effective, if you add some techniques from other sports or arts and slack up the rules a bit.

Quote:
That is both a gross over-simplification and rash assumption, on your part.

i actually experimented this first hand. Of course some might be able to do it if they have a wrestling or HEMA background, but someone trained only in olympic fencing? It's like saying that a kickboxer would have a very good chance if he was actually grappled by a judoka.

Quote:
When no-holds-barred (NHB) events first became popular in the early 1990s, it was very much a "Style vs. Style" affair, with exponents from various arts (Brazilian jiu-jitsu, Japanese shootfighting, savate, karate, kung-fu, judo, sambo, boxing, sumo wrestling, et al) pitted against each other. It frankly didn't take too long to see which arts actually worked, and which ones didn't. Eventually, fighters began to cross-train in areas they were weak in, and it totally changed the game. Now, NHB events have evolved into mixed martial arts (MMA)--where fighters have to be competent in a variety of skillsets--standup striking, takedowns, throws, ground grappling, and so forth. What was once a "Style vs. Style" encounter is now much more akin to the Ancient Greek pankration--that is, an "All Powers" mode of unarmed combat.

Well traditionnal karate did work, after all kyokushin did. You might not put it in the same basket but after doing 8 years of it and then 2 years of Shotokan (which I suppose you would consider traditionnal) I can say that both have the same core, only different ways (for the case I consider that shotokan was the one who got the more sportified of the two with terribly tight rules and scoring systems, and became somewhat less effective for this matter). As for UFC, I just think it became a monolithic block, most are not there to get better in fighting, they are here to win tournaments. A good mmartist can be very effective in the street, but he has to be trained to some things that are not part of a standard UFC match, or have actual - unrecomendable - street fighting experience, as was put forth in some examples here.

Quote:
But all of them found combat sports to be essential for the training of their troops.

Yes, it's again just what I said, but not by itself. Combat sport isn't useless, but it needs other elements. I don't think were actually disagreeing that much.

Maxime Chouinard

Antrim Bata

Quebec City Kenjutsu

I don't do longsword
Gary Teuscher

PostPosted: Thu 04 Dec, 2008 4:56 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thought I'd post this both here and in the Spartan/Samurai topic, as it is relevant to both.

First Dave, I'd like to make clear what my point was initially when the debate started. We could go on and on about Roman Legionairres and antyhting else, but I'd like to get back to the specific issue.

In response to a few posts that thought a samurai would have an advantage against a Spartan due to the Samurai's knowledge of the Martial arts, I pointed out that there were western combat martial arts as well. Wrestling and boxing are decendants of these.

I made a point that it is not uncommon for many (by many I am speaking of many with little knowledge of martial arts in general) to give the Eastern Martial arts a mystique that is not warranted. This IMO is due more to a lack of knowledge of western martial arts, and that the mainstream ones we have now are designed to be used in very controlled bouts, trying to limit injury.

I think you made the assumption that I was downgrading or had little respect for western martial arts, which was clearly not my point, I think your misunderstanding of my point led to some of the debate.

Now as far as whether combat sports make a good real fighter - Of course they do! Any martial training is better than none. Of course a wrestler or a boxer has an advantage over an unskilled opponent. There seems to be some statements on the combat training thread to where if someone knows boxing, and they are a better fighter than one who knows nothing, than Combat sports must be effective methods of training. Well that's a no-brainer.

My point was and still is that if someone trains striclty tournament style, they will be lacking in both attacking and defending things which are outlawed in their sport.

Now when you compare a style of martial arts taught with an unresisting opponent but designed to teach self defense, i.e. no holds barred you say they will not do well in true combat against someone taught "tournament style" for lack of a better word. I fully agree.

Tournament type fighting is of course important to learn many things about combat you cannot learn from fighting an unresisting opponent.

It's like the old pressure point move - "See, all I have to do is grab you here, here and here, and I win" - but of course to be able to do that particular move against a resisting opponent is rather impossible.

There are things however that are these type of moves that can work against a resisting opponent. There was a self defense move I learned to get out of a headlock - put your hand under neaththe nose of who has you in the headlock and pull the head back. It's hard to resist. Tried this in wresting practice, worked well but my coach told me I could not do it in the ring. Got into a scrap a few years later, tried it and the other person was resisting it pretty well, they were more focused, had more adrenalin going or something. I changed my grip to the eyes, and it worked well. This would not be allowed in MMA to my knowledge, similar to eye gouging. It also works best of the two parties are at least somewhat close in strength.

Take a boxer - most fights, if one party desires and are somewhat equally matched will wind up at least some of the tme in a grapple, barring the one punch and done. A boxer who has no knowledge of wrestling, Judo or some other grappling art will get eaten up by a skilled wrestler. Thats my whole point - Boxing is striking, no real grappling, wrestling is grappling, no real striking.

While a trained boxer can hit hard, he can only do well in his particular specialty. That is why I used the term "dumbed down"

A good MMA fighter an handle both striking and grappling. They may be better at one, but the understand and can at least defend against the other. This is why I also said MMA has brought some more respect back into western Martial arts.

Whether people get injured or not in a combat sport is somewhat irrelevant. The point is is that if they learn say boxing only, and fight a skilled opponent with a broader skill level like MMA, they will struggle as long as both are roughly evenly matched in size, athletesism, and skill in their particualr form.

This idea also is why one needs to learn technigues that might be illegal in ones combat sport to be most effective in a real fight . Both so they can anticipate and defend and use offensively.

Same goes for weapons use. I have never participated in SCA, but my understanding for safety reason there are not a whole lot of shield strikes you can use, nor can you intentionally bowl someone over using a shield. If an SCA fighter were not exposed to this and placed in a real fight with weapons, hopefully the learn to defend against things like this quickly, and they won't get to many second chances in real combat.

Unfortunately true training in this area would lead to too many deaths and injuries to make it effective for both hand to hand or weapons combat sports.

My guess is training done my knights and legionairres was not quite as restricted. After all, they are learning to defend their own life, not training for a fun sport or even just a means of making money. They learned to deal with real issues that may come about in combat, at least they did if they were trained well. I'm sure they still had some safeguards in effect though. The Spartans I am not sure of. From what I know many trainees died before they became Spartan Equals. This may have had something to do with the manpower shortage they started experiencing after the war with Athens.
Greg Coffman

Reading list: 4 books

PostPosted: Thu 04 Dec, 2008 5:20 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Quote:
Every culture had combat sports, but none of them saw it as a complete system for fighting.

I'd like to see this claim substantiated. I don't see it that way. For Rome, while there may have been overlap and communication between legionaries and gladiators, that doesn't mean that combat sports were used in the Roman army to train their soldiers. Rather, the gladiatorial games seem to have existed as an entertainment industry separate from the Roman military enterprise.

In the Medieval period, tournaments seemed to be exclusively for the upper class. While they were the fighting class of the Medieval period, they were not the only people who trained to fight. Sergeants and other retainers received their combat training without any experience in combat sports as far as I know. Towards the end of the Medieval period and going into the Renaissance this become more apparent as the middle class makes us a larger portion of those who fight. Where was their combat sport?

Some people on this forum have argued that combat sports can make up a portion of a larger more holistic training regime and that combat sports can constitute one element of that training. I would agree that multiple areas of training do yield a better training regime than relying on just one practice. This is especially true in an area like HEMA where nobody is using the weapons to really kill each other anymore. Combat sports can be one element, but they don't have to be. Certainly, combat sports can have application to martial preparation for real combat. That doesn't mean they all necessarily do. Not all training is equal nor are all combat sports equally beneficial for training. The way I see it, we can't dismiss combat sport out of hand, but that does not mean that they are necessary or integral for combat training. Their are other ways to train which may be just as good or better than combat sports.

And take a look at the folks who dismiss combat sports out of hand--they are folks who don't typically work with resisting opponents. Many of them are pretty clueless to begin with. They deal purely in theory.

This is not true of ARMA. We are highly committed in keeping our art from devolving into a combat sport, but we also put a very high value on working with resisting opponents.

For the word of God is living and active. Sharper than any double-edged sword, it penetrates even to dividing soul and spirit, joints and marrow; it judges the thoughts and attitudes of the heart.
-Hebrews 4:12

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Sport Combat vs Real Combat.
Page 2 of 9 Reply to topic
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: