Go to page 1, 2  Next

A&A custom type XI
This is a type XI that the guys at A&A put together for me. It uses their St. Maurice blade but has custom fittings. The idea was to make a sword similar to the manuscript drawing referenced in Records XII.12. There is no example of a sword like this one other than the drawing so I guess it could be considered a "could have been". Stats are pretty much the same as the A&A St. Maurice... I'm very happy with how this one came out (no surprise as it's from A&A!), the brazil nut is particularly nicely done and very, very comfortable to use.

Attachment: 26.46 KB
type XI hilt.jpg

Attachment: 32.03 KB
[ Download ]
A & A Sword
Tim, that's a super cool one! I like this style, too. A & A makes great pieces - I have eight at the moment, and will surely add more. :cool:
Hey Tim, that's great!

Type XI- my favorite- and not done nearly enough! With a brazil nut another favorite of mine- along with the tea cozy.

It must have some real presence to it!

Jeremy
That's very nice, Tim. How does it handle?

I'm on the custom list with A&A. I just have to wait with patience and anticipation to see how mine will come out.
Thanks for the kind words guys! This sword handles great! I thought it would be unweildy with the long blade, but it's actually quite nice. It has surprisingly good point control too. With the thin blade width it doesn't have the same "oomph" as a thicker sword would be still feels like it could deal out some serious punishment to a pumpkin or two! :p
Yes Tim,

It's an unusual design but still looks historical. Definitely a striking addition to a collection. Also it looks like you have a custom grip leather- very nice.

Go get those nasty gourds!! They so scary!!

Jeremy[/b]
Re: A&A custom type XI
Tim Lison wrote:
This is a type XI that the guys at A&A put together for me. It uses their St. Maurice blade but has custom fittings. The idea was to make a sword similar to the manuscript drawing referenced in Records XII.12. There is no example of a sword like this one other than the drawing so I guess it could be considered a "could have been". Stats are pretty much the same as the A&A St. Maurice... I'm very happy with how this one came out (no surprise as it's from A&A!), the brazil nut is particularly nicely done and very, very comfortable to use.

Any chance we can get a full profile shot?

I think XI's are among the most elegant of the early medieval types... (See "Sword of St. Maritus-- Vienna for example).
For some reason, I've never been all that attracted to the Type XI blade variety. I lean towards the Type Xa or the Type XII, both very different from the Type XI, instead.

Having said that, this sword may change my mind! It's really quite nice.

Would it be possible to see some photos from the "top down" without the distortion? I'd really like to get a sense of the proportion of the piece and the blade profile, etc.
Very interesting peice that you definately won't see in most collections. I am a big fan of A&A myself and think I might just add this to my wish list!
Forgive my bad photography. Here's a full length from the top. This sword is so long I had to stand on something to take the picture!

Attachment: 21.78 KB
Untitled.jpg

Tim, that's a beautiful sword. I am particularly fond of the hilt you chose. Brazilnut pommels are among my favorites. And that style guard, as it appears on the two Type XII swords in Records, always catch my eye. Congratulations on designing and receiving a really great looking sword.
Ok, Craig over at A&A very kindly just sent this photo after seeing this post. Thanks, Craig. It's a far better full length shot!

Attachment: 130.11 KB
Tlison04OA[1].jpg

That is a very nice looking sword Tim! Congratulations on an awesome aquisition. I really like the combination of the brazil nut pommel and the guard.

I do have a question on the grip itself though. It is hard to tell from the pictures if it is leather over cord or not but looks good either way.

Scott
It's just a fascinating design Tim,

I find myself drawn back to look at this combination of hilt and blade. Could you talk a bit about your inspiration in terms of dating or just your artistic inspiration. I know you are not a fantasy guy so please share!!

Thanks,
Jeremy
The grip is a very nice thick brown leather with a riser at the top and bottom but no cord underneath. The design is inspired by an Anglo-Saxon manuscript dated to 950-1000. The manuscript drawing is printed in "Records of the Medieval Sword" under entry XII.10, which is the sword the guard is based on. The drawing, along with a drawing of another similar looking sword, is also published in "The Sword in Anglo Saxon England". The drawing looks like it has dots on the furniture which are perhaps tiny drilled holes as is common in many swords from the era. I had a simpler sword made and left the furniture smooth. So, there is historical evidence that a sword like this may have existed, even though no examples have been found. Until now, that is!
Here's the pic Tim is referencing...the reproduction looks very nice Tim, congrats.
Dan

Attachment: 12.38 KB
xi inspiration.JPG

beautiful tim,

thanks so much! So we are looking at 950-1000 I would venture to say 1100-1150.

Jeremy
Thanks for posting that Dan!!!

Ah, yeah, I don't see why it couldn't be more like 1100-1150.
I can only imagine that the thick leather has enough give as it were to allow a firm grip. Looking at A&A's site I do not see a measurement for the width of the blade at the cross. I do not suppose you could provide that information could you Tim? I believe that a XI or XIa might be my next sword so any information would be appreciated.

Scott
Scott-

The blade is 1 & 11/16 inches at the base, or just a shade under 1 & 3/4! If you decide to get an XIa be sure to post pics, that may be my next sword too! (post pics if you get an XI too!)
Go to page 1, 2  Next

Page 1 of 2

Jump to: