Go to page 1, 2  Next

A Viking sword
Here's a favorite sword of mine: a real Viking sword. Heavily corroded but still in one piece.
Here's a link to a full pic of the sword:

Attachment: 128.91 KB
[ Download ]

Last edited by Leo R. on Sun 30 Nov, 2008 3:43 am; edited 4 times in total
Wow!

How did you manage to get your hands on that?
Stirling Matheson wrote:
Wow!

How did you manage to get your hands on that?

I traded it with another collector for a very rare Neolithic stone axe.
HI Leo

Do you have other pictures of it? I would like to see a side view if you have one.

Best
Craig
Craig Johnson wrote:
HI Leo

Do you have other pictures of it? I would like to see a side view if you have one.

Best
Craig

Sorry, it's too dark here now to make new pics. I'll make pics of the side tomorrow.
Thank you for sharing. I love seeing pictures of the real pieces.

Could you give some dimensions?

Thanks again.
Ben
Hi Leo, even though it is heavily corroded, it still looks very nice. Do you know the details as to where it was found and an aproximate age?

Last edited by Jeff Kaisla on Mon 17 Nov, 2008 7:00 pm; edited 1 time in total
Congratulations on your find. That is a really beautiful sword you have there.

+1 on more pics and dimensions please!
That's pretty cool Leo,

Can you tell if there is any inlay?

Congratulations,
Jeremy
Ohhh nice. I want more pics too please :) .
Jeff Kaisla wrote:
Hi Leo, even though it is heavily corroded, it still looks very nice. Do you know the details as to where it was found and an aproximate age?

It was found in the river Thames. The former owner bought it at auction in the UK in the 1970's. I will measure it this afternoon and post the dimensions for you.
Jeremy V. Krause wrote:
That's pretty cool Leo,

Can you tell if there is any inlay?

Congratulations,
Jeremy

Thanks! Because of the very heavy corrosion it is impossible to see if there is any inlay...
Hey it seems Craig is interested :o)

Measure it and let him make a reproduction, then you can get 2 free prototypes . Why two? One for you and one for me for this <leet> idea muahahahah (<--- very evil laughter)

Serious, great original. Treat it well.

Best regards

Klaus
Was the item you traded for it a serious original? If so, didn't you get the bad end of the bargain? Regardless, that is one nice piece...

M.
M. Eversberg II wrote:
Was the item you traded for it a serious original? If so, didn't you get the bad end of the bargain? Regardless, that is one nice piece...

M.

Yes, it was an original Central European Neolithic polished stone axe made of a very rare type of stone called Amphibolite. About 5500 to 6000 years old. We were both happy with the transaction. No idea what object was more valuable...
Place matters
Hi Leo

Those are encouraging parts of the picture for testifying to its authenticity. A find place is always good. Any idea what part of the Thames? Also the fact that it was purchased at auction in the 70's is good as at that time it probably did not pay to fake a piece in this condition. It also maybe able to id the piece in an auction catalog if from one of the big houses and get more details. The side vies pictures (if possible may give some clues to pommel construction and the style of piece.

To be honest I was leaning a bit more to central Europe as an origin for it but it is tough to tell with the level of corrosion and one profile view.

Best
Craig
Re: Place matters
Hi Craig, thanks for your reply. Today was a very rainy day here in Holland so I did not dare to take the sword outside to take pics of the side. Hopefully the weather will be better tomorrow.
I traded the sword in 1998 and have not been in contact with the previous owner ever since. I have no idea what part of the the Thames it was found. I will measure it tomorrow as well. It's about 1 meter in length if I remember correctly.
Best regards,
L.

Craig Johnson wrote:
Hi Leo

Those are encouraging parts of the picture for testifying to its authenticity. A find place is always good. Any idea what part of the Thames? Also the fact that it was purchased at auction in the 70's is good as at that time it probably did not pay to fake a piece in this condition. It also maybe able to id the piece in an auction catalog if from one of the big houses and get more details. The side vies pictures (if possible may give some clues to pommel construction and the style of piece.

To be honest I was leaning a bit more to central Europe as an origin for it but it is tough to tell with the level of corrosion and one profile view.

Best
Craig
Leo

What has been done to preserve the sword? How have you stopped the corrosion process? I ask because I have a few relic pieces in the same condition.

Regards

Bryan
Bryan Johnson wrote:
Leo

What has been done to preserve the sword? How have you stopped the corrosion process? I ask because I have a few relic pieces in the same condition.

Regards

Bryan

It was restored by a museum. It looks like it was coated with some strong resin to keep it all together.
Leo

Thanks, I'll look into that.

Bryan
Go to page 1, 2  Next

Page 1 of 2

Jump to: