myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Sword from my collection Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page Previous  1, 2 
Craig Johnson
Industry Professional

Reading list: 20 books

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Mon 17 Nov, 2008 7:58 am    Post subject: Hi Leo         Reply with quote

Hi Leo

That would have a tendency to imply a modern make to me. The whole was probably drilled so they had only a little bit of work to fit the pommel. The site where Ian found the sword has several different items using the base element that the pommel was made from. It looks like Peter guessed correctly that it was a mushroom shaped turning as they have several different items that have that shape as a base core of the pommel.

While I doubt the maker is the one who "preaged" the item for sale, my guess is someone did this to entice the purchaser. The fact that you did not spend more than the cost of it new is a good thing. One does not like to pay more than something is available for some place else. That is a lesson of collecting I have learned one to many times Happy

Best
Craig
Ian Hutchison

PostPosted: Mon 17 Nov, 2008 9:41 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Peter Johnsson wrote:
It would be interesting to see this hollow.
Could you please photograph that angle, so the base and hollow of the pommel is clear?

Another note on the fullers:
Notice how the first 10-12 cm of the fullers run parallel, and then there is a kink, or slight misalignment?
This matches pretty exactly the sword from Kowex Ars shown above: same type of traces from the tool.
I would not be surprised if these two blades were forged with the exactly same tools. Probably in a press or power hammer.
This kink, or un-eveness tells you exactly what the forging tool looks like: a double set up with three parallel rods welded on to facing plates. They would be joined by a U-shaped bar acting as a spring and the working length of the tool is shown by the rythmic interruptions of the fullers.
Another tell tale detail is that the fullers do not decrease in width from base to point, but run parallel and to the same depth from beginning to end, starting and ending abruptly. Typical result if a press has been used in the shaping. Not something you typically see on originals. Today such obvious remaining traces of forging is sometimes appreciated by customers since it makes the sword look hand forged and makes the modern sword look somewhat like an original pitted by rust. Black forging scale looks a bit like old black patina and so will evoke a feeling of something genuine.

Here, I've attached two pictures where I've circled the part of the fuller with the kink for comparison.

Attachment: 19.57 KB
sword1.JPG

Attachment: 49.56 KB
l_536a72fdb9b546639d52118f566920fc.jpg

'We are told that the pen is mightier than the sword, but I know which of these weapons I would choose.' - Adrian Carton de Wiart

Last edited by Ian Hutchison on Mon 17 Nov, 2008 9:50 am; edited 1 time in total
Leo R.

PostPosted: Mon 17 Nov, 2008 9:47 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Last week-end I showed my sword at a medieval fair here in Holland where Kovex Ars had a stand with his swords. He said mine was all hand forged and an old sword. And I saw the Katzbalger he made. The fullers he does are made with a fraze machine and what you see on the pic you posted of his sword is not on the sword. It just looks like that on the pic.

Last edited by Leo R. on Mon 01 Dec, 2008 8:18 am; edited 3 times in total
Peter Johnsson
Industry Professional

Reading list: 1 book

Spotlight topics: 3

PostPosted: Mon 17 Nov, 2008 10:17 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Ian, Thank you: it was good of you to spot the Kovex Ars sword in the first place! Also thank you for the close up.

I agree with Craig in that is probably not the original maker who has aged this sword. Rather I think it is someone down the line in ownership.
I once saw a nice big type XVII made by a smith. It had nice character and good heft. Made with a good eye for style and detail. The pommel was made on a lathe however. That was the only thing detracting from the whole.
Next summer I saw the same sword after it had come into the ownership of an antique dealer.
The dealer had "improved" on it: drilling worm holes in the wood grip, rusting/blackening the steel and even deeply etched a medieval looking blade smith mark in the blade.
There were still faint traces of the lathe marks in the pommel. Still I had to look twice to be sure it was the same sword as I had been shown the summer before. First impression was that it was genuine.

To me the morale of this story is that contemporary sword smiths should get a decent price for their work so that turning their contemporary work into fakes is not really worth it.
Ian Hutchison

PostPosted: Mon 17 Nov, 2008 10:32 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Peter Johnsson wrote:
Ian, Thank you: it was good of you to spot the Kovex Ars sword in the first place! Also thank you for the close up.

I agree with Craig in that is probably not the original maker who has aged this sword. Rather I think it is someone down the line in ownership.
I once saw a nice big type XVII made by a smith. It had nice character and good heft. Made with a good eye for style and detail. The pommel was made on a lathe however. That was the only thing detracting from the whole.
Next summer I saw the same sword after it had come into the ownership of an antique dealer.
The dealer had "improved" on it: drilling worm holes in the wood grip, rusting/blackening the steel and even deeply etched a medieval looking blade smith mark in the blade.
There were still faint traces of the lathe marks in the pommel. Still I had to look twice to be sure it was the same sword as I had been shown the summer before. First impression was that it was genuine.

To me the morale of this story is that contemporary sword smiths should get a decent price for their work so that turning their contemporary work into fakes is not really worth it.

I agree, if it is the sword I linked I'm quite sure it isn't the maker who has aged it. I've met the owner and taken a tour of his workshop during a visit to the Czech and he seemed very open and honest, I don't think deceiving people with his work is of interest to him..

'We are told that the pen is mightier than the sword, but I know which of these weapons I would choose.' - Adrian Carton de Wiart
Anders Backlund

PostPosted: Mon 17 Nov, 2008 1:16 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Fake or not, I gotta say I love the design of that pommel. Happy

*plots to steal it for some future project* X3

The sword is an ode to the strife of mankind.

"This doesn't look easy... but I bet it is!"
-Homer Simpson.

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Sword from my collection
Page 2 of 2 Reply to topic
Go to page Previous  1, 2 All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: