Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Makers and Manufacturers Talk > 8 takes on Seax Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Michael Pikula
Industry Professional

Feedback score: None
PostPosted: Mon 10 Nov, 2008 1:39 pm    Post subject: 8 takes on Seax         Reply with quote

Hello everyone, I just wanted to say hello and introduce myself briefly. My name is Michael Pikula and I have my own blacksmith shop in Central Wisconsin. I have a passion for pursuing historic and historically inspired blades, although I can be caught making architectural metal work or any other metal project that can help pay the bills! I got hooked on the idea of the seax a while ago and made a batch of 7 of them. The idea was to make something functional yet very basic so start getting my work out there. I will be working on more ornate works as time allows. Here are some pictures, any feed back would be great as I believe that learning is critical. All the grips are cherry wrapped in leather with Nickel caps on either end. The tang is wedged into the handle, with another set of wedges from the top and everything is epoxy sealed. Thanks for looking and I hope to post more pictures of other works as I finish them up!

http://a611.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images01...10fff2.jpg
http://a905.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images01...254d40.jpg
Mikko Kuusirati

Reading list: 13 books

Feedback score: 100%
(1 total ▮ 100% positive)
PostPosted: Mon 10 Nov, 2008 11:38 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Looking good! I especially like the one on the far left, and the grip with the crossed risers - perhaps not entirely historic, but looks very sweet. Happy
"And sin, young man, is when you treat people like things. Including yourself. That's what sin is."
— Terry Pratchett, Carpe Jugulum
David Huggins

PostPosted: Tue 11 Nov, 2008 1:12 am    Post subject: Seax         Reply with quote

Hi Michael

I'd echo Mikko's comments. I think you have achieved your initial aims well, with a good selection of known seax blade profiles. Are the blades the appropiate triangular section? I do think this is an important part when trying to recreate a seax blade.

Wishing you continued success in your project.

best
Dave

and he who stands and sheds blood with us, shall be as a brother.
Michael Pikula
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Tue 11 Nov, 2008 6:57 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thank you Mikko and David for the feedback!
Mikko, I agree that the crossed risers are not historically accurate for a seax but I wanted to spice things up a little and try my hand at the process, it worked but the next one will be better.
Hi David, Yes, they have a triangular cross section with a 1/4 inch/6mm spine. Although after these were done and sitting around for a while I picked them up and I feel that there is a little bit too much of a secondary bevel/drop to the edge in the last 3-4mm. They are still sharp, and I feel that they would do very well on the battle field, but perhaps not too well in everyday tasks. The next blades with be flat all the way to the edge and the edge bevel worked in while sharpening so as to give it that nice sharp geometry that make it universally useful.
Carl W.

PostPosted: Tue 11 Nov, 2008 9:58 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Michael - fwiw I like the riser one (more in general - handles & sheaths with some effort to make them a bit less plain; as long as could have been done, people had time to carve, why not?). Might try a bit fancier one (not too much, imo) once in a while, see how they do compared to just plain.
Raymond Deancona

PostPosted: Mon 15 Dec, 2008 3:58 pm    Post subject: seax         Reply with quote

Hello All, I just wanted to add, I received a seax from Michael this week, and it is fantastic. I can't say enough good things about his work: the fit and finish are excellent, the satin finish is even throughout, the blade is symetrical. The handle is a work of art. Add to this it is an absolute pleasure to deal with Michael, and you can't go wrong working with a new outstanding maker.

Forum Index > Makers and Manufacturers Talk > 8 takes on Seax
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic