Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Pro's & con's of belt fed firearms? Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next 
M. Eversberg II

Reading list: 3 books

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Sun 02 Nov, 2008 6:25 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Joel Minturn wrote:
For belt fed weapons -
pro - Don't have to reload as soon, great for vehicle mount guns. Don't want to have to crawl out onto the airplane wing to switch clips. If properly cooled can lay down some real suppressing fire. Some of the water cooled MMG's of WW1 and WW2 were know to have been fired all day with out a real break.

Con - maneuverability. Carrying the belt slows the gunner down. usually there is a helper to carry more ammo and feed the belt. Sure some of the modern machine guns, like the SAW, carry the ammo in a bag but it is still heavy. Some clip fed machine guns, like the RPK, have clips that are interchangeable with an assault rifle , in this case the AK-47 and AKM. I believe the theory was that the RPK would go into battle with a 40 round clip or 70 round drum then grab standard 30 round AK clips to reload, so the machine gunner could reload from any found gun.

On a side note about the Bren gun. I read somewhere that one minor complaint about the Bren gun was that it could be too accurate. The Bren gunner would have to deliberately swing the gun around when providing suppressing fire otherwise all the round would hit in one area.

The M249 SAW issued to US ground forces also has a magazine well in it; I can slide in and fire any standard M16 family magazine.

M.

This space for rent or lease.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
R D Moore

Reading list: 11 books

PostPosted: Sun 02 Nov, 2008 6:38 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Pre 19th Century it shall be.

Glen,
Thanks for the pic. That bird is a real : "can of whup a--!"

"No man is entitled to the blessings of freedom unless he be vigilant in its preservation" ...Gen. Douglas Macarthur
Glen A Cleeton

PostPosted: Sun 02 Nov, 2008 6:51 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Nathan Robinson wrote:
Justin Pasternak wrote:
Thanks for info so far. The reason that I asked the question in this forum is because a lot of members have a vast/expanded knowledge of weapons and armor that were used from the distant past up to the present day!

Typically we're pre-19th century in focus. It's probably best to keep that as a general guideline, but as Chad mentions, we in no way have a specific focus other than to be a "resource for historic arms and armour collectors."

Big Grin

The electric gatling patent was in 1890 (lumpy but functional). Same stuff, different century. The other older belt systems with water jackets continued to use supression in large volumes before more mobile arms became a logistic plus. Stationary supressed points ruled well past the WWI. I really could have been best left it in my initial comment.

Cheers

Glen
David Jenkins

Reading list: 6 books

PostPosted: Mon 03 Nov, 2008 1:30 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

All belt fed machine guns are open bolt, this means when you fire, the bolt slams forward. The firing pin is fixed in the bolt. This dosen't do wonders for accuracy there tends to be a spread, but this can be useful. When mounted on a tripod and used in the indirect fire role (fire up in the air) this spread is known as the beaten zone (oval shaped), very similar to a hundred longbowmen raining arrows down on you.

Magazine fed weapons can be either open or closed bolt, rifles are almost always closed bolt, while the cheaper submachine guns are usually open bolt (because you don't need a separate moving firing pin).

The GPMG & M60 are both belt fed (open bolt), but the Bren gun is mag fed and closed bolt. In the 1980s the NZ army had all three. If you aimed at a small tree the GPMG & M60 will shred it, the Bren gun if moved sideways will saw the tree down like a chainsaw.

Because of the heating and recoil issues belt fed are built heavy, plus you need a spare barrel or two (unless water cooled = more weight) and heaps of ammo. But have a greater sustained rate of fire.
Christopher H

PostPosted: Mon 03 Nov, 2008 3:06 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

R D Moore wrote:
Machine guns aren't shotguns

The cone of fire and beaten zone effects are actually quite similar to a shotgun - not much point in putting hundreds of rounds downrange into the same spot...
Stephanie Maks

Reading list: 9 books

PostPosted: Mon 03 Nov, 2008 5:57 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

David Jenkins wrote:
All belt fed machine guns are open bolt, this means when you fire, the bolt slams forward.

I'm pretty sure that is not true - when I was researching the Lewis gun, I read that they could not use it on the top of biplane engines because it fired from an open bolt which mean they couldn't regulate it with the timing of the propeller, whereas the other guns they used didn't fire from an open bolt and therefore could be timed with the propeller.

Ironically the Lewis is not belt fed but the guns they did use on top of the engine were belt-fed. Hence the Lewis gun was stuck ontop of the upper wing, or mounted in the rear for a gunner to use. Anyhow the key was that they couldn't use MGs that fired from an open bolt because of the timing link to the prop.
Darryl Aoki

PostPosted: Mon 03 Nov, 2008 8:21 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

A couple of drawbacks to the fabric belts used in several medium MG designs were:
1. There was no positive locating/locking feature for rounds. Vickers gun belts had tabs to indicate the proper insertion length for a cartridge, but there wasn't anything to keep the rounds from moving around or falling out, which could cause the gun to malfunction.
2. Fabric swells when wet, which had the effect of distorting the belt and increasing the likelihood of jamming.
Disintegrating-link belts don't have either problem, though, and I believe that that's the standard design of ammo belt in use today.

And then there's the odd little rigid belt that the Hotchkiss gun (and its Italian and Japanese descendants) fired, which makes me think of typewriters for some reason, but oh well.
Bryce Felperin

PostPosted: Mon 03 Nov, 2008 11:09 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Joel Minturn wrote:
For belt fed weapons -
pro - Don't have to reload as soon, great for vehicle mount guns. Don't want to have to crawl out onto the airplane wing to switch clips. If properly cooled can lay down some real suppressing fire. Some of the water cooled MMG's of WW1 and WW2 were know to have been fired all day with out a real break.

Con - maneuverability. Carrying the belt slows the gunner down. usually there is a helper to carry more ammo and feed the belt. Sure some of the modern machine guns, like the SAW, carry the ammo in a bag but it is still heavy. Some clip fed machine guns, like the RPK, have clips that are interchangeable with an assault rifle , in this case the AK-47 and AKM. I believe the theory was that the RPK would go into battle with a 40 round clip or 70 round drum then grab standard 30 round AK clips to reload, so the machine gunner could reload from any found gun.

On a side note about the Bren gun. I read somewhere that one minor complaint about the Bren gun was that it could be too accurate. The Bren gunner would have to deliberately swing the gun around when providing suppressing fire otherwise all the round would hit in one area.

Hate to be a term nazi, but what you mean are "magazines" and not "clips". In regards to firearms clips refer to stripper clips that were used with rifles to load them, like the 8-round clip used for M1 Garand rifles, while magazines refer to a machined metal box that holds loose rounds for loading into a firearm.

Good terminology is always important for the proper discourse on a subject. ;-)

Bryce
Bryce Felperin

PostPosted: Mon 03 Nov, 2008 11:17 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Stephanie Maks wrote:
David Jenkins wrote:
All belt fed machine guns are open bolt, this means when you fire, the bolt slams forward.

I'm pretty sure that is not true - when I was researching the Lewis gun, I read that they could not use it on the top of biplane engines because it fired from an open bolt which mean they couldn't regulate it with the timing of the propeller, whereas the other guns they used didn't fire from an open bolt and therefore could be timed with the propeller.

Ironically the Lewis is not belt fed but the guns they did use on top of the engine were belt-fed. Hence the Lewis gun was stuck ontop of the upper wing, or mounted in the rear for a gunner to use. Anyhow the key was that they couldn't use MGs that fired from an open bolt because of the timing link to the prop.

Actually I seem to recall that all gas operated weapons fire with a closed bolt. Recoil operated weapons can fire either closed or open bolt depending upon their design.

For example, if I remember right the M2 browning machinegun was loaded with an open bolt but after cocking the bolt was closed, kind of like pulling the slide back to cock and load an M1911 pistol.

I'm not sure about the Maxim machineguns since I have never fired one.
Jean Thibodeau

Reading list: 1 book

Spotlight topics: 5

PostPosted: Mon 03 Nov, 2008 12:16 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Bryce Felperin wrote:
Stephanie Maks wrote:
David Jenkins wrote:

Actually I seem to recall that all gas operated weapons fire with a closed bolt. Recoil operated weapons can fire either closed or open bolt depending upon their design.

For example, if I remember right the M2 browning machinegun was loaded with an open bolt but after cocking the bolt was closed, kind of like pulling the slide back to cock and load an M1911 pistol.

I'm not sure about the Maxim machineguns since I have never fired one.

Well the BAR is gas operated and it fires from an open bolt if I remember correctly ? What can be confusing is that although one pulls back on the cocking handle and the bolt stays in the open position one pushes the cocking handle back forward to lock it in place out of the way. ( I guess one could fire with the cocking lever in the rear position but this might damage it or slow down the bolt a bit ? ) I haven't fired one of these in 20 years so I'm fuzzy on the details. Wink

The point though is that there are numerous machinegun mechanisms that work in very different ways: I think some types even fire from a closed bolt when in semi-auto and open bolt when in full-auto mode.

You can easily give up your freedom. You have to fight hard to get it back!
Stephanie Maks

Reading list: 9 books

PostPosted: Mon 03 Nov, 2008 12:56 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I wonder if there might be some confusion over firing from an open/closed bolt due to the actual way one controls some of these weapons. If I remember right looking at a relatively modern .50cal (I think it was a Browning) there was the bit you press with your thumb and the bit you pull with the finger(s). One of them let the bolt close and the other one released the firing pin. You need to do both at once to get full auto fire. The fact that you could make it fire by releasing the bolt did not mean it fired from an open bolt; internally the firing pin mechanism was still operating separately, after the bolt closed and locked.

My understanding of the term "firing from an open bolt" was that there was no separation between the closing of the bolt and the firing of the cartridge - the firing pin was more or less fixed to the bolt itself. Firing from a closed bolt meant that the firing pin / hammer / etc were independant of the bolt and the firing pin would not be released until after the bolt was closed and locked. Put it another way, if you can close and lock the bolt without firing, then the gun fires from a closed bolt.

IIRC there was actually a Winchester .22cal single-shot rifle which fired from an open bolt. When the receiver was opened, this 'cocked' the mechanism, but left the bolt open so you could drop the cartridge in. Pulling the trigger released the bolt and firing pin on the cartridge which fired the gun.

Apologies if my terminology is rusty... I studied gunsmithing about 10 years ago but haven't done anything with it since then.

-Stephanie
Jean Thibodeau

Reading list: 1 book

Spotlight topics: 5

PostPosted: Mon 03 Nov, 2008 3:18 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Well, some submachineguns do have the firing pin machined into the face of the bolt but some full-auto weapons still use a separate firing pin even if they do fire from the open bolt position.

So many different weapon designs that almost every possible mechanism has been used, so one can't generalize for the whole class.

One reason for firing from an open bolt is mostly cooling and avoiding cook off of a round in the chamber of an overheated weapon and going unstoppable until the ammunition supply becomes exhausted !

Some mechanisms can be easily modified in theory from open bolt to closed bolt firing since all the parts are basically there and need only some slight design modifications to permit closed bolt firing by controlling the fall of the firing pin or a hammer strike to the firing pin separately from the bolt.

Some designs use the forward momentum to damp down on recoil forces and are able to use a lighter recoil spring since the cartridge is fired before the bolt has come to rest: The force of the bolt still moving forward counteracting the backward force of the cartridge wanting to eject. This makes for better recoil control and takes some strain of the mechanism and is a question of " timing " the ignition precisely.

Not a gunsmith or an expert but I did have a period where my focus was more on modern weaponry than currently. Wink
( Now if I drift into explaining the functioning of a " Phaser " or " Photon Torpedoes " you will know I have gone off the deep end or have been typing and drinking. Razz Laughing Out Loud ).

You can easily give up your freedom. You have to fight hard to get it back!
Gavin Kisebach

PostPosted: Mon 03 Nov, 2008 4:33 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Quote:

The M249 SAW issued to US ground forces also has a magazine well in it; I can slide in and fire any standard M16 family magazine.

M.

Not to get off topic, but while the saw is technically able to utilize magazines in an emergency, I've never had a good experience with them. First of all the 5.56 round that a saw uses is porpose built for the 249. It burns much hotter than the 5.56 in the M4 and the two rounds do bad things to the other weapon.

M4s get torn up by SAW rounds, and I've heard of (but cannot confirm) rifles exploding when loose belt bounds were regularly fed to the carbine.

SAWs, in turn, fail to feed M4 5.56 with maddening regularity. While you might get a burst in here and there, you spend so much time clearing the weapon you might as well have a bolt action. A magazine with SAW rounds has better results, but they never seem to seat right (at least not in the thoroughly used SAWs that we had).

The soft sided 200 round pouches are actually pretty reliable and easy to use. The only trouble is that I am a mud magnet and I had to spray scotchguard into my pouches to keep moisture out.

Ok back to those pre 1890 belt feds....

There are only two kinds of scholars; those who love ideas and those who hate them. ~ Emile Chartier
Hunter B.

PostPosted: Mon 03 Nov, 2008 6:57 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Gavin Kisebach wrote:
Quote:

M.

Not to get off topic, but while the saw is technically able to utilize magazines in an emergency, I've never had a good experience with them. First of all the 5.56 round that a saw uses is porpose built for the 249. It burns much hotter than the 5.56 in the M4 and the two rounds do bad things to the other weapon.

I'm going to step in here and have to ask you where you got this information from, because it is patently false. The M249 and M4 family use the exact same ammunition (the US Army issues several different loads of 5.56) across the board. The only issues I'm aware that arose from using M-16 was that the M249 would chew up the feed lips to hades and back and that would cause issues in an M-4. Some older mags with worn springs also had issues keeping up with the RoF of the M249, but that is rare indeed.

The only weapons I'm aware that fire the same sized round but with different powder loads are in the M203 and the Mk 19 (which uses a much higher velocity round than the M203).

“It is the loose ends with which men hang themselves.”
Gavin Kisebach

PostPosted: Mon 03 Nov, 2008 10:04 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Well I do apologize if memory has failed me, but I was told this from Basic training through the day I walked out the door by drill SGTs, squad leaders and platoon daddies, and my own experiences backed it up. Whenever we got "clever" and switched out, the results were poor. If this is a military myth then mia culpa for not double checking.

IIRC the M855 was for the SAW and M193 was for the M4. I know they had different grain weights and corresponding chamber pressures. One had green tip and the other was bare, and I think the green tips came on belts. Again; I could be wrong but i do know that there are at least half a dozen 5.56 rounds used by the US Army.

[edit] and you're correct about the 203 vs mk-19, the rounds don't look anything like eachother and the 19 round would probably mutilate a 203, if it would een seat in the tube.

There are only two kinds of scholars; those who love ideas and those who hate them. ~ Emile Chartier
JE Sarge
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Mon 03 Nov, 2008 10:51 pm    Post subject: Belt-fed firearms...         Reply with quote

Reservist since 1987 here, I'll input my .02.

Some belt-fed firearms are perfect if maintained properly. I found that the M2 and M240 (M60) are great weapons if the operator knows the nuiances of the weapon. The M249 (SAW) and Mk19 are really fickle and is apt to give you problems at any time - there is nothing that you can do as a gunner to prevent this at length, although you can reduce the overall chance of failure (IE, using liquid Crisco instead of .mil lubricants).

As far as belt-fed reliability vs. magazine fed, I would have to state that magazine fed is superior as far as short bursts of auto or semi fire and reloading is simple; jams are also exceptionally easy to clear under stress. Belt-fed gives a better sustained burst, but gets hot quickly and is a bear to reload in a combat scenario; jams are a nightmare to clear (when your Mk19 jams, you literally have to bang on the HE round with a screwdriver or pinion rod to jar them loose at times). I've reloaded a M2 and Mk19 on a moving guntruck, and I am here to tell you it is damn near impossible. Either has its benefit in what your mission is. I'd rather have an M2 or Mk19 on a truck regardless of them being a pain in the rear, but rather have a M4 than an M249 in a MOUT situation because I don't want a belt to get snagged and break or cause a jam.

SAW ammo is linked one way currently in theater (at least in 2005-2006 during my last tour). It comes in a 200rd belt of a ratio of 4 M855 AP (green tip) rounds to 1 M856 tracer round. I've seen belts of M193 (plain old copper jacket) used on the range before, but more often that not, they just use the combat load so you can see where to adjust your fire without having to use the sights.

Other input: No, you cannot use a Mk19 round in a M203. The length of the cartridge is longer on the Mk19 round. It will fit into the breach of the a M203, but the slide will not lock closed. It's like trying to make a 10mm round fit into a .40 caliber weapon. Since the firing pin of the M203 will not release unless the breach is closed, it cannot be fired unless there is something seriously wrong with the M203 internal safety mechanism.

Hope I shead some light on this for you...

J.E. Sarge
Crusader Monk Sword Scabbards and Customizations
www.crusadermonk.com

"But lack of documentation, especially for such early times, is not to be considered as evidence of non-existance." - Ewart Oakeshott
Hunter B.

PostPosted: Tue 04 Nov, 2008 4:44 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Gavin Kisebach wrote:
Well I do apologize if memory has failed me, but I was told this from Basic training through the day I walked out the door by drill SGTs, squad leaders and platoon daddies, and my own experiences backed it up. Whenever we got "clever" and switched out, the results were poor. If this is a military myth then mia culpa for not double checking.

Myth

Quote:
IIRC the M855 was for the SAW and M193 was for the M4. I know they had different grain weights and corresponding chamber pressures. One had green tip and the other was bare, and I think the green tips came on belts. Again; I could be wrong but i do know that there are at least half a dozen 5.56 rounds used by the US Army.

Yup, there's about a dozen used right now. Most vary in the weight of the bullet and it's purpose (tracer, dim tracer, penetrator, ball), then there's plain Jane ball (m193, 55GR) and the steel core armor penetrators, the so-called "green tip" ammo (M855). All will function just as reliably in an M4 as in an M249. The stuff used out of the AMU rifle is actually heavier than either the M855 or the M193 and loaded at higher pressure too. You can use it in the other two and while the ballistic results won't be quite so hot, it will feed and function reliably.

[edit] and you're correct about the 203 vs mk-19, the rounds don't look anything like eachother and the 19 round would probably mutilate a 203, if it would een seat in the tube.[/quote]

Both are 40mm, and I wouldn't encourage anyone to see if caliber is only a matter of size. Laughing Out Loud

“It is the loose ends with which men hang themselves.”
Bryce Felperin

PostPosted: Tue 04 Nov, 2008 10:27 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Okay, now we're sounding like a gun board! Lots of specifications and talk on which round is better, what weapon is more reliable and what one prefers.

Knew this would happen. Next up, arguments on which is better between AK's and which M4 clone is the best!

:-(
JE Sarge
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Tue 04 Nov, 2008 10:57 am    Post subject: Belt-Fed...         Reply with quote

This is a matter of personal opinion and experience, but:

The best US assembled AK is made by Vector Arms and the best M4 would be the Rock River Arms LAR-15 TLE. I own both and never have given me a problem. Big Grin

Next question?

J.E. Sarge
Crusader Monk Sword Scabbards and Customizations
www.crusadermonk.com

"But lack of documentation, especially for such early times, is not to be considered as evidence of non-existance." - Ewart Oakeshott
Gavin Kisebach

PostPosted: Tue 04 Nov, 2008 12:04 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Quote:
Myth

Yeah unfortunately that happens a lot in the military - the brass wants something done a certain way so they propagate a myth to get what they want, and it sticks. In civilian life I enjoy critical thinking, but it's best not to nitpick over such details with a grumpy NCO.

I read somewhere that the idea that carrots improve eyesight was invented as a cover for radar during WWII. I'm sure that commanders have been making stuff up for eons.

Centurion: What's the matter soldier? You look like you're going to wet yourself.

Soldier: those Dacians have these falxes, sir, and the look like they could split my helm in to. I heard that a guy in Legio XIX got his helm split by one.

Centurion: Don't be a pansy soldier, that brass band on the front of your helm was engineered to stop falx blows. (smirks)

Soldier: Really? Oh that's brilliant sir!

Centurion: (snickers) Carry on soldier....

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Pro's & con's of belt fed firearms?
Page 2 of 3 Reply to topic
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: