Cas/Hanwei Charlegmaine saber or Arpad saber.
Hi guys

A while back there was a thread about this saber C/H were going to release.
Has anyone in the US or the world bought or seen them for sale yet? Im in Australia, and as yet have heard no news about this item.

If anyone has seen one or handled one, what did you think of it? Are they well made, full tang? Blade geometry and hardness acceptable?
And I spose the biggest question.....Does it look authentic?

Cheers

Nick

Attachment: 91.72 KB
[ Download ]
http://kultofathena.com/product~item~SH2288.htm

I have no personal experience with it, though.
Thanks Sam

Yes Ive contacted distributors in Australia and they seem to know nothing about it?

Anyway, comparing the repro to the original on the outside it certainly looks like a very good copy. I worry more about the construction?
I read on the link you sent that the scabbard does have a wooden core, thats a plus.

Cheers

N
Hi Nick.

Funny you should mention this, as I was wondering about it myself. With the changes to the law here in the UK I probably wouldn't be able to buy one of these now even if I wanted one, but I was still interested in a possible review on this 'site, just to see what sort of job Hanwei had done. Unfortunately it never happened and I was starting to wonder why.

Cheers,
Darrin.

btw, I never did get the copy of that Magyar sword made either, but with some re-wording in the law recently, with regards to hand-forged items, this may be back on the possible list so I'm keeping my fingers crossed for that.
Darrin Hughes wrote:
Hi Nick.

Funny you should mention this, as I was wondering about it myself. With the changes to the law here in the UK I probably wouldn't be able to buy one of these now even if I wanted one, but I was still interested in a possible review on this 'site, just to see what sort of job Hanwei had done. Unfortunately it never happened and I was starting to wonder why.

Cheers,
Darrin.

The review of the Charlemagne saber has been written, it just awaits editing and publication. You can always ask us, rather than speculate. :)

What I reviewed was a production prototype and it was a nice piece. I wasn't allowed to cut with it, so I couldn't test its handling and cutting ability besides dry handling. It's very similar to the original, though there are some proportional differences. It's very detailed for its price.

I enjoyed having it for a few days. I would have loved to put it through its paces, and/or spend longer with it, but it wasn't to be.
I await the appraisal of the weapon Chad, thanks

Nick
Thanks Chad. :)

As I said, with the changes to the legislation back in April I wouldn't be able to buy one of these now. I'm really just curious as to how Hanwei have come on, if at all, with regards to European weaponry.

Cheers,
D.
Darrin Hughes wrote:
Thanks Chad. :)

As I said, with the changes to the legislation back in April I wouldn't be able to buy one of these now. I'm really just curious as to how Hanwei have come on, if at all, with regards to European weaponry.

Cheers,
D.

Are you sure you wouldn't be able to get one? I think the legislature only covered overtly cheap SLOs. After all, its not like people were using $600 + swords for "gang" crimes.

Indeed, I think I remember some MP saying collectors and martial artists wouldn't be affected because it only applied to SLOs.
Ian. It would depend on the construction. The law was re-worded to allow curved swords "hand-forged using traditional methods". This was because of complaints about restraint of trade from 'smiths here in the UK. I don't currently know of anyone in the UK that is looking to stock this sword.

Cheers,
Darrin.

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: