Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Which Albion would you buy? Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page Previous  1, 2 
Jordan A.

PostPosted: Tue 21 Oct, 2008 8:51 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I would get the Dane! I love "true" two handed swords,(over 52 inches I consider "true"), and im used to waiting for swords as I go with custom makers, so a year or 2 is a normal wait for me. Happy

p.s.=The teaser pics of the blade do make me want to put in an order for one! Big Grin
Jeremiah Swanger

PostPosted: Tue 21 Oct, 2008 10:45 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Nathan Keysor wrote:
Jeremiah,

All excellent points. The reason I don't already own the Huskarl is because I've been a bit put off by the price (even more so after the price increase--ouch!) and have been hoping to pick one up second hand. I actually prefer it to the Valkryja but I bought that one because I was so impressed with all the work that Peter put into carving the waxes. I felt like I was doing my part to encourage Albion to do more intricate hilts Big Grin The Huskarl I like because it is all business: simple, elegant and brutal.

Hi Nathan,

I know what you mean about the price thing. I bought the Stamford because I found it the "most unique" of their least-expensive models (although it is such a cool sword that I hardly consider my decision "settling"). If I had the funds, there is no doubt I would have gone for a Munich, Earl, Viceroy, or Count.

I did the calculation, and with the 25% myArmoury discount, you can get the Huskarl for $1050-- which is actually LESS than the Huskarl's ORIGINAL price (before any of the price increases over the past several years) of $1100, if memory serves me correctly (always a big "if," I will admit).

Come on, Nathan-- Valhalla is calling!

"Rhaegar fought nobly.
Rhaegar fought valiantly.
Rhaegar fought honorably.
And Rhaegar died."

- G.R.R. Martin's A Song of Ice and Fire
Brian Hook

PostPosted: Tue 21 Oct, 2008 11:50 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hey Nathan,
I personally wouldn't wait for the Museum Line Munich. As it might not ever make it to the table and if it does it could easily trump the Svante in price with all the detail work on it. So I would (and did) order a Munich. Big Grin
Anders Backlund

PostPosted: Wed 22 Oct, 2008 1:03 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Well, if I could afford them, I'd start out with buying a Prince, a Count and a Machiavelli.

Maybe a Knecht as well, though I'm not so fond of the messer look.

The sword is an ode to the strife of mankind.

"This doesn't look easy... but I bet it is!"
-Homer Simpson.
Ed Toton

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Wed 22 Oct, 2008 7:23 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Well, you could order one of every model, and be done with the decision making. Happy

Seriously though, the Dane does look like it's going to be gorgeous. The price has gone up considerably since it was first announced, and the prototype blade looks great. I have a feeling with all of the work they've been putting into the design, that this will be a truly magnificent sword.

That's why I reserved it under the old price before the summer price increase. This is a good model to take advantage of the discount this week (it's still going on, right?).

-Ed T. Toton III
ed.toton.org | ModernChivalry.org
My armor photos on facebook
Ian Hutchison

PostPosted: Wed 22 Oct, 2008 10:13 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I think I'd go for the Caithness or the Clontarf (if it was still for sale Sad )
'We are told that the pen is mightier than the sword, but I know which of these weapons I would choose.' - Adrian Carton de Wiart
Clayton Woods
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Wed 22 Oct, 2008 10:26 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Nathan Keysor wrote:
You just reminded me that I forgot to mention in my post that I emailed Mike today for an estimate on the Dane. He said probably late next year.

Another sword of theirs that had slipped under my radar is the Vigil. Looking at the protype blade it looks like it will be a beauty. I hesitate to send Mike another inquiry because I doubt they'll let me preorder it.

http://www.myArmoury.com/talk/viewtopic.php?p...ht=#131452

I don't actually know the answer to that query, but never hesitate to toss an email at MIke to find out. Inquiries are always welcome! Happy

(and on the original question, I'm a big fan of the type 17. I prefer the Sempach over the Landgraf but that's just a personal taste and is reflected by which one I ordered for myself. However, from the list you gave, I'd go for the Brescia.)

-----
Clayton R. Woods
Buckleheads Casting Dept.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
Chris Artman

PostPosted: Wed 22 Oct, 2008 12:04 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Quote:
I personally wouldn't wait for the Museum Line Munich. As it might not ever make it to the table and if it does it could easily trump the Svante in price with all the detail work on it. So I would (and did) order a Munich.

The original is such a beautiful sword that I would rather hold out or go custom. Not that the munich isn't nice, but the 'museum' level sword would be so amazing. Yes, it would be pricey, but then again, there area already enough 'non-detailed' swords on the market.

I'd say it is a safe bet that you should get the Brescia Happy

On another note, that vigil looks nice too... Anyone have pics of the original it is based from?
P. Cha

PostPosted: Wed 22 Oct, 2008 4:55 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I think you need a XIV for your collection to help round it out.

Out of the ones you like however, I'd say the spadona as well.
Nathan Keysor

Reading list: 9 books

PostPosted: Wed 22 Oct, 2008 7:43 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

OK

It's been a hard decision to make (but fun as well). I want to thank everyone for their input. I decided to order the Dane and the Gaddhjalt. This way I spread the cost over the year (Dane) and get something in the near future to enjoy (Gaddhjalt). I did mention to Mike in my email to put me down for the Vigil if he'll accept an order for it Happy
The other swords were hard to pass up and the arguments on their behalf were all compelling. The reason for these two is mostly financial. The Gaddhajlt only ends up being $600 and by the time the Dane's ready the stock market will have recovered (maybe Happy

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for dinner.
Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote!"
Ben Sweet

PostPosted: Wed 22 Oct, 2008 8:41 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Here's what I was going to say, was re-sizing the pic down when you made your post Big Grin I'm looking forward to the Dane, nice choice!

Chris Artman

PostPosted: Wed 22 Oct, 2008 11:47 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

There is one more choice....

Go for the dane for sure... it will be a good wait and you lock in the price which is a mice discount. I was not aware of the Dane blade prototype picture... I heard it is being reworked, so I'm not sure if that picture is relevant or not. It sure is a narrow blade. The bigger the better for me for the Dane....

You could just put a deposit down on the Brescia and just make a payment or two whenever you feel like it... thereby locking in the discount. Nothing says you have to take it soon... You could take the Brescia Spadona in 6 months, 9 months, a year, whenever you want... but you CAN put a $300.00 deposit and lock in that price... Just a thought.

As far as the Vigil, I would love to see the original it is based on or know more about it....
Nathan Keysor

Reading list: 9 books

PostPosted: Thu 23 Oct, 2008 7:03 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Mike said the Vigil is a no go right now and he doesn't know when it will be put into production. Here is a photo of the River Witham sword that the Vigil is going to be based on:

Attachment: 11.49 KB
ve_milestone1.jpg

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for dinner.
Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote!"

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Which Albion would you buy?
Page 2 of 2 Reply to topic
Go to page Previous  1, 2 All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: