Please help on identifying sword...???
Hello,
I have not posted on this forum before, and am posting on behalf of my brother who is handicapped and cannott post on his own. He has a sword which he is trying to identify and hasn't been able to. I am asking for any help I can get. I am attaching a picture, but to specify, it has an image of a 4 armed person/god inlaid with gold.It looks old, but I cant figure out if it is a recreation or an original of something. Any help is greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
CareyWb
678-860-6141

Attachment: 134.91 KB
sword.jpg
the sword
I want to say thats a type of Indo Persian Barong. Probably 18th-19th century. Looks Original to me.
Very Nice!
Sam

Last edited by Sam Haverkamp on Tue 14 Oct, 2008 10:17 pm; edited 1 time in total
Err is it a Khukuri??? Similar....
:blush:
S
Yep, Sam, that's a Tulwar-hilted Khukri, kind of like an Indian short sword, with Kali or Shiva (can't quite make out which one) on the blade. That's a really neat knife! :cool:
That style of knife is not common, but there are some around... Oh look! Here's one!

http://www.oriental-arms.co.il/photos.php?id=3264

The one on the Oriental Arms site is late 19th Century, but yours is finer and in better condition than the one they have, so I wouldn't pay much attention to that price there, mate.

It seems to me to be some sort of combination between a Kukri and a Kora (the Tulwar type hilt does seem to disprove that a little though), and I would guess Nepalese or Northern in origin, purely on that (so more than likely wrong :confused: )... Not very helpful, I know... Why not ask these guys? They might know.

http://arms2armor.com/Swords/indiswrd.htm

And you might also try the Antique Kukri Forum on Sword Forum International, of course.

I've had a look and it's not listed amongst the Shasters, meaning it's not a Sikh weapon, so that just leaves everyone else in India. Haha! Sorry I can't be more help (it's annoying me a little bit :wtf: :wtf: )... I'll see if I can't get an expert I know to have a look.

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: