Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Cutting through helmets Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next 
Bill Tsafa

PostPosted: Mon 23 Mar, 2009 2:34 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I have no trouble believing that a suspension systems works as a decent buffer. Perhaps even a better buffer. If you give me a choice of a 2 lb helmet with a suspension system vs a 2 lb helmet with blue foam, the one with the suspension system may infact be the better choice between the two.

I do believe however, that that regardless of suspension or padding, that if someone received a good blow from me (see the video I posted earlier) and they can still speak, they are going to ask for a heavier helmet that will take some of the momentum off my sword. The velocity of my swing is about 160 mph and I am following that up with about 230 lbs of bodymass (250 lb with armor) as I twist my hips and clench my fist into the blow. I'm not Superman my any means. There are many guys out there that swing a lot faster then me and have more body to backup the blows.

I do believe a 2 lb helmet, with suspension, is a practical compromise for foot soldiers who have to march for weeks just to get to the battle. I do not think a person can just ignore headblows is such a helmet.

No athlete/youth can fight tenaciously who has never received any blows: he must see his blood flow and hear his teeth crack... then he will be ready for battle.
Roger of Hoveden, 1174-1201
www.poconoshooting.com
www.poconogym.com
David Teague

PostPosted: Mon 23 Mar, 2009 8:14 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Vassilis Tsafatinos wrote:
I am wondering if the images of swords cleaving through helms are based on peoples heads being crushed inside their helms from powerful blows. I can see how an artist might make that illustrative leap.

It's the dramatization of a Old testament biblical tale.

Artistic license.

That's all.

You guys are putting way to much thought in to this.

Cheers,

David

P.S. While I don't think swords cut though the helms like butter, a hard shot to a noggin could scramble somebody's brains. That's when you dispatch them on the ground.

This you shall know, that all things have length and measure.

Free Scholar/ Instructor Selohaar Fechtschule
The Historic Recrudescence Guild

"Yea though I walk through the valley of death, I will fear no evil: for Thou's sword art is with me; Thy poleaxe and Thy quarterstaff they comfort me."
Jeroen Averhals

Reading list: 2 books

PostPosted: Fri 27 Mar, 2009 8:12 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Sirs,

This morning I went to an exhibition in Bruges of the treasures that Charles the Bold lost at Grandson and Morat.
There was a huge burgundian (1540-1470) tapestry there showing the battle of Pharsalos

The picture of a part of it I found here http://www.daylife.com/photo/09Aw6wz46h3tp

I noticed a cleaved helmet.

Jeroen Averhals

Attachment: 19.94 KB
610xhelm.jpg

Vigor et Veritas
David Teague

PostPosted: Fri 27 Mar, 2009 9:38 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hello Jeroen,

That does look like a sword slash. The helm is not cleaved in twain like in the those illustrated in the much earlier "Mis-pronounce-ski" Bible and it looks that that's the back of the helm... which would be thinner than the front.

When you take a swordsman and put him on horseback, the weight and speed of the horse is added to the energy of the sword swing. If two armoured men at arms charged each other and one voided the incoming blow & struck the other in the back of the head while passing such a wound could happen IMO if the back of the helm was too thin... but armour was built and proofed to withstand sword blows and to "water shed" the energy and the weapon itself aside.

It's the heavy headed weapons built to defeat armour that would be a more likely suspect for splitting a helm: the one handed axe, war hammer, pole axe, etc.

It almost looks like those are foot soldiers being mopped up as the army passes over them... not sure.

Cheers,

DT

This you shall know, that all things have length and measure.

Free Scholar/ Instructor Selohaar Fechtschule
The Historic Recrudescence Guild

"Yea though I walk through the valley of death, I will fear no evil: for Thou's sword art is with me; Thy poleaxe and Thy quarterstaff they comfort me."

Last edited by David Teague on Sat 28 Mar, 2009 3:41 pm; edited 1 time in total
Bill Tsafa

PostPosted: Fri 27 Mar, 2009 8:08 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Jeroen Averhals wrote:
Sirs,

This morning I went to an exhibition in Bruges of the treasures that Charles the Bold lost at Grandson and Morat.
There was a huge burgundian (1540-1470) tapestry there showing the battle of Pharsalos

The picture of a part of it I found here http://www.daylife.com/photo/09Aw6wz46h3tp

I noticed a cleaved helmet.

Jeroen Averhals

That is really beautiful, thanks for posting. As to the meaning of the what appears to be a cleaved or broken helm, I'm not sure, but it is one more piece to the puzzle from a very different source. I am hoping people will find and post more. Perhaps one or two sources might by questionable, but if we continue to find such images we will have to reconsider them as a whole rather then just individually.

No athlete/youth can fight tenaciously who has never received any blows: he must see his blood flow and hear his teeth crack... then he will be ready for battle.
www.poconoshooting.com
www.poconogym.com
Josh Warren

PostPosted: Sat 28 Mar, 2009 10:55 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I'm not sure that I'm comfortable accepting SCA anecdotes about transferring concussive force through helmets as having any bearing on the topic of swords cleaving helms. An SCA rattan club has a completely different mass distribution along its length than does a real steel sword.

If anything, the rattan stick is probably better at delivering blunt trauma through armour than a sword is. A sword is going to have the greater concentration of its mass centered towards the hilt rather than the striking end due to taper, pommel, etc. The SCA club on the other hand, has a more constant mass through the length of its "blade," adding up to greater concussive power than a sword. Thus, saying "I can concuss someone through their helmet in the SCA" does not necessarily mean that you could do the same with a steel sword.

Non Concedo
Bartek Strojek

PostPosted: Sat 28 Mar, 2009 1:14 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Well, here in Poland guys are beating themselves with actual steel swords (blunt of course), so it might be more similar to the "real thing". I couldn't find any knockouts from head strikes, I've got one TKO to the leg though.

[url] http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MncQ5OKROc0&am...ated[/url]

[url] http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2H-BEpwt1Ac[/url]
Patrick Kelly

Reading list: 42 books

Spotlight topics: 2

PostPosted: Sat 28 Mar, 2009 1:19 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Quote:
An SCA rattan club has a completely different mass distribution along its length than does a real steel sword.

Which is why SCA helmets are typically built to stop an RPG rather than a sword. When I did the SCA thing armor was typically overbuilt when compared to historical harness due to the excessive blunt trauma from participants standing toe to toe in a slugfest. Some of the newer springsteel harnesses would undoubtedly fair much better but mild steel armor has to be far heavier to hold up. It isn't a good historical comparison.

When it come to interpreting period artworks in terms of helmet cleaving I'm in the "artistic license" camp.
Bill Tsafa

PostPosted: Sat 28 Mar, 2009 4:01 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Josh Warren wrote:
I'm not sure that I'm comfortable accepting SCA anecdotes about transferring concussive force through helmets as having any bearing on the topic of swords cleaving helms. An SCA rattan club has a completely different mass distribution along its length than does a real steel sword.

If anything, the rattan stick is probably better at delivering blunt trauma through armour than a sword is. A sword is going to have the greater concentration of its mass centered towards the hilt rather than the striking end due to taper, pommel, etc. The SCA club on the other hand, has a more constant mass through the length of its "blade," adding up to greater concussive power than a sword. Thus, saying "I can concuss someone through their helmet in the SCA" does not necessarily mean that you could do the same with a steel sword.

The rattan sword I normally use use has a steel basket that acts as a counter weight. The sword I used in the video weighs exactly 2 lbs 15 oz. Its total length is 36 inches. The blade is 30 inches and the point of balance is 4 inches below the hilt. This sword feels just like a Type X with parallel edges. The only difference is that a Type X will be a little longer which gives a greater rotational velocity.

A rattan sword can be pretty solid and rigid if it is short and 2 inches thick. In the case of the sword I described above it is only 1.25 inches thick. That is the only way to get a 30 inch blade without the sword being 5 lbs. So the rattan sword in the video has a good deal of flex to. A Type X sword will of course flex side to side, but that wide blade stays very ridged if you strike with the edge. I will put up a video to demonstrate how much rattan flexes.

www.poconoshooting.com
www.poconogym.com

Last edited by Bill Tsafa on Sat 28 Mar, 2009 5:18 pm; edited 1 time in total
Daniel Sullivan

PostPosted: Sat 28 Mar, 2009 4:02 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Several years ago I acquired some pieces that reportedly came from a Tower sale. One item was a one piece morion-cabasset that might have been used as a "test" piece. The top of the helmet was damaged by two vertical blows just forward of and about 90 degrees to the stalk or stem. The lesser of the two was about 1 1/2 " in length, about 1/4 " in width maybe 1/2 '' in depth. The bottom of the cut, which did not penetrate the helmet, was relatively straight. This led me to believe it was due to a sword stroke. The second cut did penetrate the helmet to a depth of well over 1' and was about 1/2'" or more in width. The interesting thing was the cut slopped downward and inward from the edges indicating to me that the damage was more than likely caused by an axe.

Also had the remnants of a left pauldron; the uppermost lame had a penetration that looked to be almost square and appeared to be either from a bolt or a hammer. Due to rust around the perimeter it was hard to determine the size, but was in the neighborhood of 3/8" or more.

It seems to me that, if helmets were not capable of protecting one against arrows or swords cuts, why in the world would they be continued to be used. That is not to say all armour was good, I'm sure there was a lot of junk that made its way to the battlefield. It is very likely few customers survived to complain about inferior workmanship.

I tend to agree with David's theory of "artistic license"........ I am likely to be castigated for saying so, and It may stretch the imagination a bit to compare these early illustrations to modern graphics. However, depictions of this sort were probably the "wham, bang, and pow" of their day. For example, Medieval Warfare by H.W. Koch is full of such illustrations and all from from a variety of sources.

Regards,
Dan
Chris Arrington

PostPosted: Sat 28 Mar, 2009 4:55 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Vassilis,

Interestingly enough, I was in my garage today and set my new DT Schiavona down next to my SCA basket hilt sword which has been in its present incarnation for almost a year.

I instantly had a "wow" moement.

They match in length, weight, and balance almost perfectly.
Patrick Kelly

PostPosted: Sat 28 Mar, 2009 5:32 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Daniel wrote:
I am likely to be castigated for saying so, and It may stretch the imagination a bit to compare these early illustrations to modern graphics. However, depictions of this sort were probably the "wham, bang, and pow" of their day. For example, Medieval Warfare by H.W. Koch is full of such illustrations and all from from a variety of sources.

I think you're exactly right. Then as now, images were meant to invoke a mental response. They were never meant to be taken as an example of historical reference and artistic license was always paramount. We tend to be far too literal in our interpretations of such things. Things like arms, armor and fashion may be seen as historical (most often only in context to the time the artwork was created and not to the period it's supposed to represent) but quite a bit of creative license was taken in the depiction of events.
Patrick Kelly

PostPosted: Sat 28 Mar, 2009 5:35 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Chris Arrington wrote:
Vassilis,

Interestingly enough, I was in my garage today and set my new DT Schiavona down next to my SCA basket hilt sword which has been in its present incarnation for almost a year.

I instantly had a "wow" moement.

They match in length, weight, and balance almost perfectly.

Things like weight, length and balance are only part of the equation. I've spent a fair amount of time in years passed bashing on people with rattan clubs and the transmission of force is far different than a sword, it's hardly the same thing.
Bill Tsafa

PostPosted: Sat 28 Mar, 2009 5:54 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Chris, it is pretty cool when things work out so well. I have almost made hobby out of picking a sword out of my collection and trying to create a rattan sword that is as close as possible to that in all characteristics. I have a lot of basket hilts of different weights to choose from. Between adjusting the basket hilt weight, rattan thickness and blade length, I can get pretty close to my goals.

Josh, I put up a video demonstrating how much flex rattan can have:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AIBj9vwjytU

Patrick, the only way "we" can compare the transmission force of rattan to steel, is to hit people with both at full force and watch the effect. Perhaps the history channel will take an interest in this subject and do some objective analysis for us using computer driven machines. I have hit people with rattan full force and I know what that does to them. I have not hit anyone with a steel Type X at full force. I have hit my pell and a variety of other test subjects and the steel hits a lot harder and bites a lot deeper. I did meet up with a guy this past summer in Texes for a duel with steel blunts. Everything, I have ever done with a rattan sword worked just as well with the steel blunt. It was a seamless transition. I did not use a Type X blade for safeties sake. The blade I used had much less blade mass near the tip. The last six inches the blade was almost rapier like. It still hit hard.

Interestingly, marshals in the SCA have looked into using alternatives to rattan because rattan does break up and then the blows don't feel like anything. I have to replace my sticks every two months. I was shown a piece of solid fiber glass that a marshal was testing. It was rejected because it did not have any flex and hit too hard.

Edit:
I was wondering if I have gone too far off topic. I almost forgot how we got this point in the discussion. To summarize, the topic is "if swords can cleave through helmets". I think NO in most cases, except for defective helms. I do believe that a hard sword blow can scramble someones brain pretty good inside a 2 lb nasal helm. This is based on the effect of a rattan sword which flexes on an overbuilt modern helm that weighs 7 to 10 lbs. Between the wooden sword flexing and the helm being overbuilt, I think there is a wide margin in favor of saying that a steel Type X will give a good shake up to a man in a 2 lb nasal helm.

As far as period images that show swords cleaving helms, I think they are exaggerating the point that a hard sword blow to an opponent's head is a very good thing to do in battle.

www.poconoshooting.com
www.poconogym.com
Justin King
Industry Professional

Reading list: 20 books

PostPosted: Wed 15 Apr, 2009 6:58 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Just for fun here is a quote from Jean Giono's "The Battle of Pavia", referring to the clash betwen the French men at arms and Spanish arquebusiers and fusiliers, where the King of France is eventually taken prisoner. Not that I am advocating the truth of this quote...
"Saint-Sevrin, master of the king's horse, is hit by a back-stroke from a friend's sword; the top of his helmet flies in pieces; bare-headed, already dead but still in the saddle, he is borne at random here and there as the battle eddies around him."

This seems to refer to a poorly-tempered helmet which was too brittle and shattered, which is of course quite possible. Interestingly, the fatal stroke was supposedly accidental, which in some ways is more believable to me than the idea that knights in battle intentionally targeted an enemy's helmet in the expectation that they could hack through it.
William P

PostPosted: Mon 12 Sep, 2011 11:50 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Bill Tsafa wrote:
Chris, it is pretty cool when things work out so well. I have almost made hobby out of picking a sword out of my collection and trying to create a rattan sword that is as close as possible to that in all characteristics. I have a lot of basket hilts of different weights to choose from. Between adjusting the basket hilt weight, rattan thickness and blade length, I can get pretty close to my goals.

Josh, I put up a video demonstrating how much flex rattan can have:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AIBj9vwjytU

Patrick, the only way "we" can compare the transmission force of rattan to steel, is to hit people with both at full force and watch the effect. Perhaps the history channel will take an interest in this subject and do some objective analysis for us using computer driven machines. I have hit people with rattan full force and I know what that does to them. I have not hit anyone with a steel Type X at full force. I have hit my pell and a variety of other test subjects and the steel hits a lot harder and bites a lot deeper. I did meet up with a guy this past summer in Texes for a duel with steel blunts. Everything, I have ever done with a rattan sword worked just as well with the steel blunt. It was a seamless transition. I did not use a Type X blade for safeties sake. The blade I used had much less blade mass near the tip. The last six inches the blade was almost rapier like. It still hit hard.

Interestingly, marshals in the SCA have looked into using alternatives to rattan because rattan does break up and then the blows don't feel like anything. I have to replace my sticks every two months. I was shown a piece of solid fiber glass that a marshal was testing. It was rejected because it did not have any flex and hit too hard.

Edit:
I was wondering if I have gone too far off topic. I almost forgot how we got this point in the discussion. To summarize, the topic is "if swords can cleave through helmets". I think NO in most cases, except for defective helms. I do believe that a hard sword blow can scramble someones brain pretty good inside a 2 lb nasal helm. This is based on the effect of a rattan sword which flexes on an overbuilt modern helm that weighs 7 to 10 lbs. Between the wooden sword flexing and the helm being overbuilt, I think there is a wide margin in favor of saying that a steel Type X will give a good shake up to a man in a 2 lb nasal helm.

As far as period images that show swords cleaving helms, I think they are exaggerating the point that a hard sword blow to an opponent's head is a very good thing to do in battle.

i dont think its too OT in my view, primarily because were commenting on the effects of swords largely on helmets,

but instead of whacking people, you guys seem to have forgotten that there are scientific instruments designed PRECISELY for the purpose of measuring force in a variety of ways, from accelerometers attached to the handles of swords, to filming a sword stroke using high speed cameras to calculate velocity
there are force plates, trauma patches etc

actually another good person to ask would be the mythbusters or the royal armouries,
since both have extensive experience with either a wide variety of antique and reproduction arms and armour, and/ or are well versed in conducting tests.
i think that the quick 'test' by mike loades in weapons that made britain offer SOME insight http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-h0e0NSwYNg he cuts at a one piece nasal helm, with a arming sword, that, judging by the lack of fuller and diamond profile blade looks like a type XV
compared to michael pilukas type XIII varient blades i think if you got hit by them in the head would be enough to SERIOUSLY put you off your stride and make for a very bad day.

as for helmet linings, when i was having my rus style spangenhelm (for the period of roughly the late 10th century- mid 11th century) made up which weighs 3.4kg = ~7lbs made of 16guage steel i.e 1.6mm thick when it came to the question of a lining or suspension (which has some historical precedence in that area between the rus kingdoms and byzantium from grave finds) the makers suggested, and i went with the suspension there is a gap between the top of the helm and your head and theres more leeway, more GIVE when hit by a harder blow because your heads not in direct contect with the surface of the helmet, and will better spread the impact force
normal blows will use their energy compressing the padding, but a harder blow will compress the padding then transmit the force directly to your head and theres a risk of the helm itself being driven against your skull,

http://www.myArmoury.com/talk/viewtopic.php?t...highlight= images of the helm here
Brian Robson

PostPosted: Tue 13 Sep, 2011 4:27 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I can't remember where I came across this before - it may have been here - so apologies if I'm re-posting something.

http://www.shinkendo.com/kabuto.html

I guess this is a 'best case' scenario for the sword - given the helmet is in a fixed position, on a solid base with a highly experienced swordsman taking his time to line up the shot - and it being a 2-handed shot. It's also a record and so safe to assume that most strikes under the same ideal conditions result in lesser damage.
I also remember seeing a good test in 'Weapons that made Britain' which tested a good, replica arming sword vs a fully-raised dome helm. It didn't cut (you can probably find it on youtube - I just don't know which episode it was).

I wonder whether a liner would still keep the blade away from the head in the katana example. I'd say it's possible. Couldn't speak for what the blunt impact would do though.

An extra factor to take into account on the effect of the blunt force is the weight (not thickness) of the helmet. I do re-enactment combat with steel weapons and include head-shots, so I've taken my share of un-pulled hits. I've definately noticed that when compared to smaller nasal-helms, great-helms seem to do a lot more in terms of causing the blade to rebound and lessening the feeling of the impact on the target. I think it's because a heavier helm simply has more inertia, so more energy is absorbed from the blow to overcome the inertia, meaning less is transferred to the head.

Edit:
Yep - that shinkendo link was posted on the first page of this thread! Apologies Dan for repeating your finds!!

Surprised to see it's still being discussed though.
Till J. Lodemann

PostPosted: Tue 13 Sep, 2011 5:13 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hi William,

You are right in the assumption that a scientific experiment would be a better basis then subjective experience.
But I think that something like concussive damage to the brain for example, is a very complicated thing to simulate in an experiment and that in this circumstances some experiences of people really receiving massive blows on their helmets are the best hint we can get to what happens in such situations:

Bartek Strojek wrote:
Well, here in Poland guys are beating themselves with actual steel swords (blunt of course), so it might be more similar to the "real thing". I couldn't find any knockouts from head strikes, I've got one TKO to the leg though.

[url] http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MncQ5OKROc0&am...ated[/url]

[url] http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2H-BEpwt1Ac[/url]

I myself have witnessed (and participated in) enough fights and I saw some were people went berserk with (blunted) maces at each other. Hitting on armour and blößen alike.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qF2yhGQHYy8&feature=related
( both fighters did not suffer injuries - neither the guy who jumped onto them, he was the father of one of them and panicked when he first saw was his son was doing there)

As you see, there are lots of people actually hitting themselves full force with (blunted) swords on their helmets, even with axes and maces. And it is really not that big a deal.

David Teague and Elling Polden were quite right, historical helmets, with historical padding were susufficiento stand up to anything a human powered weapon could throw against it. At least this was the goal to achieve, then.

Blunt force trauma isn't a big deal either.
Only once I witnessed an actual k.o. when a beginner with an ininsufficientelmet got a hit on his badly covered occiput and blacked out for two seconds. But I witnessed the same thing happen in a simple grappling match, too.
I don't know were all this stuff which Mike Loades is propagating there about how internal bleeding and organ damage as a result of "shockwaves" from blunt force hits would kill people even THROUGH uncompromised armour comes from. But I don't see any evidence in favor for it. If it were true, many european full contact fighters would be dead, or just think about professional boxers; the Klitschko-Brothers would cecertainlye serial killers with those hits.

On the other hand, I would be very curious about the outcome of a mounted man's sword hitting on a man standing on the ground (or worse: another mounted man riding against him), maybe in a full gagallopThere are some calculations done about the potential force a man-horse-handweapon-weaponsystem could inflict and I think that i would sometimes be enough to break through lighter helmets. The mass and vevelocityf a horse are a big multiplier in the equation.

edit: Yess Brian, energy to move the weight of the helmet is one of the first things that is reduced from the power of the blow.
Matthew Amt

PostPosted: Tue 13 Sep, 2011 5:25 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

William P wrote:
as for helmet linings, when i was having my rus style spangenhelm (for the period of roughly the late 10th century- mid 11th century) made up which weighs 3.4kg = ~7lbs made of 16guage steel i.e 1.6mm thick

Huh, I don't think I've ever seen a published weight for an original helmet (early medieval and earlier) that was more than 4 pounds, in fact the vast majority were 2 to 3 pounds, even well-preserved ones with little corrosion.

You know what I say? I say, Screw blunt trauma! We go over this same thing when arguing about mail, and everyone is all worked up over blunt trauma. Sure, if Babe Ruth walks up and you put your head over home plate, he's gonna knock it out of the park. That's called "losing". But such an event was uncommon, at best. The men who went to battle really don't seem to have considered that to be the most likely possibility, at least. They seemed to be more worried about getting slapped or prodded by something sharp. We'd probably consider most battle blows to be pretty wimpy, but you really don't need much force to lay flesh wide open with an edged weapon. They knew that while a weapon *could* be made to penetrate their armor, or squash them to jelly inside it, most likely an opponent was simply not going to bother hitting them in the hard crunchy parts, but go for something softer. Armor limits an attacker's options, forces him to strike at fewer/smaller/faster-moving targets, or forces him to put a LOT more effort (at more risk to himself) into an attempt to damage his target *through* the armor. Will any of that work? Well, it might! IF he's heroic, lucky, strong, and have really good aim. It's a battlefield, and no armor is perfect, so anything could happen!

But all the talk about scientifically perfect padding, suspension, compression, and contact with your helmet makes it sound like getting hit while wearing an iron hat is worse than nothing at all. I've even heard a reenactor say that the typical nasal helmet or spangenhelm had a bad disadvantage because it would not keep your *neck* from being broken by a strong blow from a 2-handed axe! Um, was that really a high-priority consideration? Would I be better off without the helmet? No, of course not! A helmet which many of us would consider way too thin and poorly padded was vastly better than no helmet at all. Could you set it on a stump and crunch it with an axe? Yup. You gonna wear it in battle anyway? Yup.

Valete,

Matthew
Till J. Lodemann

PostPosted: Tue 13 Sep, 2011 5:37 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Matthew Amt wrote:

You know what I say? I say, Screw blunt trauma! We go over this same thing when arguing about mail, and everyone is all worked up over blunt trauma.

Absolutely. The more you face "blunt trauma" the less you care about it. All it does is haematoma. The only place were it could be dangerous (the head) is covered in plate since the bronze age. Sharp things and over all, pointy things is were the harm is.

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Cutting through helmets
Page 5 of 6 Reply to topic
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: