Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Cutting through helmets Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next 
Jeff A. Arbogast

PostPosted: Mon 27 Oct, 2008 4:59 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Dan Howard wrote:
The original question was specifically about swords. Nobody is disputing that axes, halberds, warhammers, etc can be effective against plate armour. If swords were just as effective then why would anyone bother with the others?

Quote:
I heard nothing as to why plate started gaining favor as time went on.

The initial development of plate armour had little if anything to do with the effectiveness of previous armours. This is a summary:
http://forums.swordforum.com/showthread.php?t=41041
The subject has been covered so many times that it is not worth wasting bandwith repeating it again and again every time a related thread is started.

I wasn't pitting swords against plate, as I've said before. I was referring to ONLY the old barrel helms and mail being cleaved (at least sometimes) by a top-notch sword. I would NEVER claim that a sword would be effective against a plate-covered knight of say, the late 1400's. And I have seen videos of mail being cut by a good sword after being placed on a padded frame of some sort, so I have no doubt that it could be done with a man in it. As of yet, I am unaware of ANY surviving example of the Great Helms shown in the Maciejowski Bible, so we are all left to our own opinions, it seems.

A man's nose is his castle-and his finger is a mighty sword that he may wield UNHINDERED!
Bill Tsafa

PostPosted: Mon 27 Oct, 2008 5:14 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Dan Howard wrote:

http://forums.swordforum.com/showthread.php?t=41041
The subject has been covered so many times that it is not worth wasting bandwith repeating it again and again every time a related thread is started.

Its a growing community. There are always new people coming into it who are being exposed to these things for the first time and want to discus. At the same time, people do have more information to offer as more tests have been done and documented. I find this thread interesting. Even though I have been on this forum for a few years I never noticed the details of the Maciejowski Bible until recently when I saw it referenced on Weapons that made Britain.

No athlete/youth can fight tenaciously who has never received any blows: he must see his blood flow and hear his teeth crack... then he will be ready for battle.
Roger of Hoveden, 1174-1201
www.poconoshooting.com
www.poconogym.com
Gavin Kisebach

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Mon 27 Oct, 2008 6:51 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Dan, as much as I respect you opinion and admire your knowledge there is something disconcerting about someone quoting themself, and then declaring a discussion to be unworthy. WTF?! Even topics that seem to be beaten half to death (Samurai vs Knight, anyone?) can turn up interesting new angles and bits of trivia once in a while. Ok very rarely, but it is theoretically possible Big Grin
There are only two kinds of scholars; those who love ideas and those who hate them. ~ Emile Chartier
Steven H

PostPosted: Mon 27 Oct, 2008 8:01 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Jeff A. Arbogast wrote:

One thing IS certain, however-the helmets shown in the Maciejowski Bible were eventually replaced with more rounded versions, such as the sugarloaf style, that were more likely to deflect a blow rather than just accept it squarely on a flat surface. I think one can safely assume that it was for a reason beyond simple aesthetics.

The flat-topped helms were not replaced by round topped helms. They replaced round topped helms. Look at the pictures in the Mac bible of flat-topped helms. They are worn by the richest people on the battlefield; while infantry who can't even afford mail are wearing round-topped helms. The history is quite clear that lords and kings wore round-topped helms before the flat-topped helm style developed.

So we can either assume that Kings were too dumb to tell an obviously inferior [flat] helmet from and obviously superior [round] helmet or assume that they knew what they were doing. Personally I assume that these professionals who had a centuries long living tradition of warfare knew at least as much I do, so there must be a reason for the flat helm.

As already mentioned multi-piece construction can create areas of thicker protection and rivets can be stronger than welds. Furthermore the triangle is an excellent shape from a structural engineering standpoint for absorbing a load; therefore the triangular corner may be stronger than another shape (like curved). But this isn't the only solution so perhaps we "blame" fashion for the temporary rise of this solution to the problem.

Furthermore the biggest threat on the battlefield of the Mac bible era is not swords but couched lances. The flat-topped helms look similar to frog-mouthed jousting helms of a later era but with better visibility. Perhaps the design is idealized for lances and not swords.

One last note: the Mac bible shows plenty of curved helms getting split, too.

Jeff A. Arbogast wrote:

There are also scenes of mail being cleaved through. I don't find this impossible to believe either. If that wasn't happening, why bother to start adding plate? And when plate WAS used, why were the areas targeted where the gaps were, and only mail was in those areas. Because it was the weakest spot.

Why bother adding plate?
* Because you can die from bruising. A number of tourney participants are recorded as having died from bruising without a drop of blood spilled.
* Or broken bones.
* Or lances; the first rigid armour pieces added to the harness were those which protected against lance strikes (i.e. coat of plates, besagews, roundels at the elbow)

And just because you can get through the mail of a plate armoured man, as described in period fighting manuals, doesn't mean it's easy. Doing it with a sword involves choking up on the sword 'half-sword' style. A spears point is set in the target and then a full body shove is used to get through the amour. A dagger would be jammed into the gaps and the hammered on with the free hand. The mail was NOT easy to beat. Just easier than plate.

Cheers,
Steven

Kunstbruder - Boston area Historical Combat Study
Jean Thibodeau

Reading list: 1 book

Spotlight topics: 5

PostPosted: Mon 27 Oct, 2008 10:39 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Steven H wrote:

So we can either assume that Kings were too dumb to tell an obviously inferior [flat] helmet from and obviously superior [round] helmet or assume that they knew what they were doing. Personally I assume that these professionals who had a centuries long living tradition of warfare knew at least as much I do, so there must be a reason for the flat helm.

My theory is that the flat top is not that much of a disadvantage as generally assumed as a sword hitting the helm will normally hit the rim of the top of the helm and this is often of double thickness due to the way the top plate is riveted to the cylindrical sides. Also a hit can be deflected off this rim fairly easily if the hit isn't at 90 degrees to the rim and perfectly centered.

The flat top is vulnerable to a concussive blow hitting flat on the top like a mace or axe but this would be unlikely to happen for a knight on his horse but might happen to a knight on foot being hit from above by a mounted knight or by any fighter on higher ground if the knight were attacking a fortified position. ( Climbing up a siege ladder for example ).

You can easily give up your freedom. You have to fight hard to get it back!
Chris Gilman

PostPosted: Tue 28 Oct, 2008 6:40 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Perhaps this has been posted and I missed it. But it seems to me that the reality of a helmet being cleaved is so far from being possible in the way it is depiction, that it is nothing more than an artist/ story teller’s way of visually showing the guy was killed. Perhaps the same way we might say "He knocked his lights out” or “Beat the crap out of him” as a way to describe someone getting hit hard.
The other possibility is perhaps a way of showing superior "technology" By showing how the helmet "failed", not the sword.

Chris
Christian Henry Tobler

PostPosted: Tue 28 Oct, 2008 7:21 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

The Mac Bible is not valid evidence of swords splitting helmets. Only the heroes of the illustrations , empowered by God, accomplish this feat. The number of helms split by biblical bad guys is zero, while dozens are destroyed by our heroes. Other illustrations show mail armoured figures cut in half, which is a flat out impossibility, given that cutting an *unarmoured* mounted man in half would be a super-feat.

Less suspect, but still open to questioning are the illustrations of the Manesse Codex. But here again, it's the heroes who are shown splitting helmets. They're not employing the sword arm of God in this case, but we're still being shown just how much prowess they possess.

Were helmets ever split by swords? Sure, I'm sure there were (freak) cases where that happened. But I doubt it's a tactic anyone would rely on.

As for flat helms being superceded by more rounded variants...this needn't be explained by them being cleaved, but rather by the increased blunt trauma you'd experience within the helm. That energy has to go somewhere if it isn't deflected away. I'd argue that a flat helm would be harder to cleave, given the overlap of metal at the crown, because in order to penetrate, you have to cut through three layers: the two right angled pieces of the crown of the helmet and the layer of side panels that it is riveted to.

All the best,

Christian

Christian Henry Tobler
Order of Selohaar

Freelance Academy Press: Books on Western Martial Arts and Historical Swordsmanship

Author, In Saint George's Name: An Anthology of Medieval German Fighting Arts
Jeff A. Arbogast

PostPosted: Tue 28 Oct, 2008 5:18 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Steven H wrote:
Jeff A. Arbogast wrote:

One thing IS certain, however-the helmets shown in the Maciejowski Bible were eventually replaced with more rounded versions, such as the sugarloaf style, that were more likely to deflect a blow rather than just accept it squarely on a flat surface. I think one can safely assume that it was for a reason beyond simple aesthetics.

The flat-topped helms were not replaced by round topped helms. They replaced round topped helms. Look at the pictures in the Mac bible of flat-topped helms. They are worn by the richest people on the battlefield; while infantry who can't even afford mail are wearing round-topped helms. The history is quite clear that lords and kings wore round-topped helms before the flat-topped helm style developed.

As already mentioned multi-piece construction can create areas of thicker protection and rivets can be stronger than welds. Furthermore the triangle is an excellent shape from a structural engineering standpoint for absorbing a load; therefore the triangular corner may be stronger than another shape (like curved). But this isn't the only solution so perhaps we "blame" fashion for the temporary rise of this solution to the problem.

Furthermore the biggest threat on the battlefield of the Mac bible era is not swords but couched lances. The flat-topped helms look similar to frog-mouthed jousting helms of a later era but with better visibility. Perhaps the design is idealized for lances and not swords.

One last note: the Mac bible shows plenty of curved helms getting split, too.

Jeff A. Arbogast wrote:

There are also scenes of mail being cleaved through. I don't find this impossible to believe either. If that wasn't happening, why bother to start adding plate? And when plate WAS used, why were the areas targeted where the gaps were, and only mail was in those areas. Because it was the weakest spot.

Why bother adding plate?
* Because you can die from bruising. A number of tourney participants are recorded as having died from bruising without a drop of blood spilled.
* Or broken bones.
* Or lances; the first rigid armour pieces added to the harness were those which protected against lance strikes (i.e. coat of plates, besagews, roundels at the elbow)

And just because you can get through the mail of a plate armoured man, as described in period fighting manuals, doesn't mean it's easy. Doing it with a sword involves choking up on the sword 'half-sword' style. A spears point is set in the target and then a full body shove is used to get through the amour. A dagger would be jammed into the gaps and the hammered on with the free hand. The mail was NOT easy to beat. Just easier than plate.

Cheers,
Steven

The rounded helmets you are referring to are the spangenhelms worn by the poorer soldiers, not generally the nobility. They had been around for hundreds of years. And I am sure that they were being cleaved left and right during all that time. Sometimes they weren't even of all iron, but had inserts of different materials, leather or horn, and generally a nasal. Not much protection, but better than nothing. Care to test one against a Danish War Ax? I wouldn't. I have one from Arms &Armor. It has a 4 ft. handle and a thin, hardened head. I have no doubt that it could split a spangenhelm and it's wearer down to his collarbone at least and probably beyond.
Nor would I call the noblemen depicted in the Maciejowski Bible dumb. That is a assumption that you unfairly assign to me. No wealthy lord would use a spangenhelm if something better was available. The noblemen of the day would of course have opted for the pieced-together Barrel Helm shown, which was probably the best that the technology of the time had to offer. And their construction is entirely unknown, so any speculation that they would in fact be stronger than a one piece helm is entirely speculative, although I cannot believe that a helm made up of so many pieces, with so many inherent weak spots, would actually be stronger than a later Sugarloaf helm. Since the Sugarloaf replaced the Barrel Helm, instead of the other way around, I would say that should mean SOMETHING.
I spoke to a welder friend of mine on this subject. He knows his job well, and is aircraft certified, with a deep knowledge of metallurgy. I asked him if a high-carbon blade with a hardness of, say, Rockwell 50 (Like an Albion blade, that some scoff at for a reason I cannot fathom) could split a pieced-together Great Helm like those shown in the Bible. He said that if they were made of a workable iron, they would probably break or be cloven if hit with sufficient force from above with a top-notch sword of sufficient size. He said that if such a helm was hit squarely with my ax (which he has handled) it would probably just explode. I then asked him "Well, what if the helm was made of a mild steel?" He laughed and said "Are you kidding? It would have no carbon content, and that hard wide-bladed sword would split it wide open. And your ax would split it open as well, and crush it in besides." This is a professional welder's opinion, not mine.
To me at least, the very fact that the helms that are depicted were later replaced with less squared-off versions speaks volumes. It was done for a reason, more than likely learned on the battlefield. There are no existing examples of this particular style of helmet to my knowledge, so speculation must serve in place of hard evidence. But when one style of helmet is replaced with another, it is not because the helmet replacing it is inferior. That simply flies in the face of all reason.
And yes, mail is hard to get past. But not unheard of. A good cast at the right distance can put the javelin through chain mail, and I know that mail can be cleaved, I have seen it done. Remember, the knights and warriors of those days were hardened killers, trained from youth in the brutal art of arms, with all the tricks and techniques of the trade, most of which are lost to us. Any knight of those days would more than likely make very short work of anyone here who considers himself a swordsman. I am certain that cleaving a helm or mail like that shown in the Maciejowski Bible was not a big deal to these guys. Only to us.
As usual, I find myself in the minority. But that's fine. I don't mind stirring the pot, especially when nothing has been proven.
One thing I do agree with you on-the lance was probably the most formidable weapon the medieval knight faced, at least at the beginning of the battle. I doubt that any armor depicted in the Bible would stop that, and it must either be avoided or deflected before the swords, axes and maces came out.

A man's nose is his castle-and his finger is a mighty sword that he may wield UNHINDERED!
Jean Thibodeau

Reading list: 1 book

Spotlight topics: 5

PostPosted: Tue 28 Oct, 2008 6:06 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Won't rebut the whole thing but " mild steel " is steel and to be steel it has to have carbon in it otherwise it's iron.

Mild steel doesn't have enough carbon to be hardened by heat treating so it will be softer than a well made sword.

I'm not sure a Danish axe could reliably cut a helm but it wouldn't matter as the weight and concussive power would kill anyway.

Anyway, keep an open mind about it as I don't think we are dealing with facts as much as opposing theories and either some real tests would have to be done or more reliable period testimony be found to support the theory of swords cutting into helms or other plate armour in period.

As to the art the theory that they shouldn't be taken literally has some weight to it, as the art is showing extraordinary prowess in doing what was possibly rare or almost impossible i.e. almost " superpowers " of heroic figures: In modern terms think of movies like the Matrix series and some future historian thousands of years from now drawing conclusions from the actions in the movies.

You can easily give up your freedom. You have to fight hard to get it back!
Bruno Giordan

PostPosted: Wed 29 Oct, 2008 5:43 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Mild steel iron etc .. as for helms what matters is work hardening. Armor was made hard by hammering it over a stake, it is a calculated compression that causes what prof Veroheven in his book calls residual stress, a phenomenon that imparts a strong resilience to metal.

I remain of my opinion that it is unlikely (until tests would prove otherwise..) that non quenched swords made mainly of perlite (due to non-scientific carburization process) could split so deeply and easily a work hardened helm made of at least 2 mm thick iron.

I think that at more they could make some serious dents, the most damage deriving by the shocking of the wearer because of the impact, especially the neck region.
Steven H

PostPosted: Wed 29 Oct, 2008 7:54 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hello Jeff,

The relevant facts that we have at our disposal include:
* Period instruction on fighting a man in armour. These manuals, written by professionals, clearly tell us that penetrating plate armour, even with a poleax, does not work. A great amount of detail is given on how to attack the parts the not protected by plate.
* Testing of mail by the Royal Armour at Leeds concluded that, " . . .it is almost impossible to penetrate using any conventional medieval weapon." As described in "Medieval Military Surgery", Medieval History Magazine, Vol 1 is 4, December 2003, and we can expect plate to be at least as strong as mail.
* Contemporary written accounts of battles often speak of how armour protects warriors from any harm. There are descriptions of individual people being struck down despite their armour but accounts of entire battles usually feature armour being highly protective. Note that I'm referring specifically to historical accounts and not sagas, chansons, etc.

The conclusion drawn from these various sources is that the armour was very good at preventing penetration. A person may be incapacitated or even bludgeoned to death in their armour; armour, of course, failed sometimes; but the armour was seldom split by blades.

While you have ventured your opinion to the contrary you have not provided any specific evidence to support this idea besides the art. Multiple reasons for why the artwork would be exaggerated have been put forth and all of them sound reasonable to me. Without other supporting evidence I see no reason to expect swords to split helmets.

Jeff A. Arbogast wrote:
The rounded helmets you are referring to are the spangenhelms worn by the poorer soldiers, not generally the nobility. They had been around for hundreds of years. And I am sure that they were being cleaved left and right during all that time. Sometimes they weren't even of all iron, but had inserts of different materials, leather or horn, and generally a nasal. Not much protection, but better than nothing. Care to test one against a Danish War Ax? I wouldn't. I have one from Arms &Armor. It has a 4 ft. handle and a thin, hardened head. I have no doubt that it could split a spangenhelm and it's wearer down to his collarbone at least and probably beyond.

Those not wearing barrel helms are shown in a variety of helmet types including spangenhelms, kettlehelms and single pieces round helms. Spangenhelms with non-metal inserts predate the Mac bible by half a millenium and are not pictured anywhere in the 13th century art; they are therefore not relevant to this discussion.

And again, professional instruction from period disagrees with you on the ability of a 4-5 ft axe to split helmets.

Jeff A. Arbogast wrote:
Nor would I call the noblemen depicted in the Maciejowski Bible dumb. That is a assumption that you unfairly assign to me. No wealthy lord would use a spangenhelm if something better was available. The noblemen of the day would of course have opted for the pieced-together Barrel Helm shown, which was probably the best that the technology of the time had to offer. And their construction is entirely unknown, so any speculation that they would in fact be stronger than a one piece helm is entirely speculative, although I cannot believe that a helm made up of so many pieces, with so many inherent weak spots, would actually be stronger than a later Sugarloaf helm. Since the Sugarloaf replaced the Barrel Helm, instead of the other way around, I would say that should mean SOMETHING.

The barrel helms shown are constructed in the same manner as spangenhelms - overlapped metal plates rivetted together.

The artwork and surviving helmets are consistent so we do know how they were constructed. The fact that the sugarloaf style replaced the barrel helm is relevant but it doesn't tell us why. Assertions to why the change was made are simply speculation. Remember we can never deny the power of fashion in armour styles in the Medieval period.

The suggestion that the triangular corner of the barrel helm would be stronger is not speculation at all. It is simply consistent with modern structural engineering principles.

Jeff A. Arbogast wrote:
I spoke to a welder friend of mine on this subject. He knows his job well, and is aircraft certified, with a deep knowledge of metallurgy. I asked him if a high-carbon blade with a hardness of, say, Rockwell 50 (Like an Albion blade, that some scoff at for a reason I cannot fathom) could split a pieced-together Great Helm like those shown in the Bible. He said that if they were made of a workable iron, they would probably break or be cloven if hit with sufficient force from above with a top-notch sword of sufficient size. He said that if such a helm was hit squarely with my ax (which he has handled) it would probably just explode. I then asked him "Well, what if the helm was made of a mild steel?" He laughed and said "Are you kidding? It would have no carbon content, and that hard wide-bladed sword would split it wide open. And your ax would split it open as well, and crush it in besides." This is a professional welder's opinion, not mine.

With all due respect to your friend the welder, the professionals from the Medieval era and the professional Medieval archaeologists at the Royal Armoury at Leeds as well as the eyewitnesses to battles disagree with his conclusion. Have you had an opportunity to test his conclusion?

Also note that the Albion blades Rc 50 is far higher than most contemporary swords by 20-30 pts as explained here. So conclusions about what a modern, super-hard, mono-steel blade can do will not be reprsentative of what Medieval swords could do.

Jeff A. Arbogast wrote:
To me at least, the very fact that the helms that are depicted were later replaced with less squared-off versions speaks volumes. It was done for a reason, more than likely learned on the battlefield. There are no existing examples of this particular style of helmet to my knowledge, so speculation must serve in place of hard evidence. But when one style of helmet is replaced with another, it is not because the helmet replacing it is inferior. That simply flies in the face of all reason.

The replacement is not necessarily inferior but the change may be due to a variety of reasons including fashion and changing priorities on the battlefield.

Jeff A. Arbogast wrote:
And yes, mail is hard to get past. But not unheard of. A good cast at the right distance can put the javelin through chain mail, and I know that mail can be cleaved, I have seen it done. Remember, the knights and warriors of those days were hardened killers, trained from youth in the brutal art of arms, with all the tricks and techniques of the trade, most of which are lost to us. Any knight of those days would more than likely make very short work of anyone here who considers himself a swordsman. I am certain that cleaving a helm or mail like that shown in the Maciejowski Bible was not a big deal to these guys. Only to us.

Again, see the above reference to tests conducted by the Royal Armoury.

Jeff A. Arbogast wrote:
As usual, I find myself in the minority. But that's fine. I don't mind stirring the pot, especially when nothing has been proven.

I, and many others here, would prefer that you stir the pot with evidence instead of your own hypotheses.

Respectfully,
Steven

Kunstbruder - Boston area Historical Combat Study
Elling Polden

PostPosted: Wed 29 Oct, 2008 12:25 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Danish axes, or Broad-axes as they are called in scandinavia, where not made to penetrate armour, but rather to cut lightly or un-armoured men to pieces; the broad blade gives a longer cutting edge compared to the earlier wedge type axes, using the same amount of metal; Many broadaxe blades are only a few millimeters thick.
Tests have also shown that daneaxes did not penetrate mail, while they slice unprotected flesh like butter.

The prime anti-armour weapon of the middle ages, so often ignored in modern debate, was never the less the common spear. A spear thrust, especially with a narrow spearhead, will penetrate mail and padding that would turn even poleaxe blows.
Thus, the prefered way to kill an armoured man would be to spear him in the face or neck, not hit him over the head with a sword.

As the 14th century progresses, this trend is illustrated by the adoption of helmets that cover the sides of the head and steadily increasing neck defences, culuminating in great bascinets with a solid plate that covers the entire neck.

Also bear in mind that armoured combat is not resolved by single blows, but series of blows and moves that let you finish the foe of. In such a series even a blow that does no damage might allow subsequent and eventually fatal followups.

"this [fight] looks curious, almost like a game. See, they are looking around them before they fall, to find a dry spot to fall on, or they are falling on their shields. Can you see blood on their cloths and weapons? No. This must be trickery."
-Reidar Sendeman, from King Sverre's Saga, 1201
James R.Fox

PostPosted: Wed 29 Oct, 2008 1:11 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Sirs-I would point out that the men wearing barrel helms and sugar loaf helms oftem wore a one-piece metal cap under it as well as the coif. Maybe they knew something? They were the ones risking their lives on the battle field after all.
Ja68ms
Jared Smith

Spotlight topics: 3

PostPosted: Wed 29 Oct, 2008 2:07 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

James R.Fox wrote:
Sirs-I would point out that the men wearing barrel helms and sugar loaf helms oftem wore a one-piece metal cap under it as well as the coif. .

That is my take on the situation as well. Also, the barrel helms seem to be specialized for mounted context (tournament, tjoust...) It is well suited for straight on impact such as lance and heavy shock charge, and the helmet is not as likely to be struck perpendicularly with full impact on top in that sort of engagement. There was some discussion of that in late 12th early 13th century treatises (Nigel I think, it was brought up in one of my Francis Gies texts, quoted again by David Crouch in similar context. Also, inventories quoted by Crouch showed that some of the period barrel helm owners also had open face nasal helms listed in their personal arms possessions.). At least one of this forum's earlier posts on horned helmets showed a horn headpiece adorned barrel helm slung over the shoulder of a knight wearing a more conventional nasal helm. Pictorially, it seems to support the idea of more than one helm being available depending on the situation.

Absence of evidence is not necessarily evidence of absence!
Doug Lester

PostPosted: Wed 29 Oct, 2008 2:40 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I've been wondering about this subject for a while. Reviewing the books that I have on the battles of Towton and Wisby I'm impressed with the reports on the remains where healed bone injuries caused by sharp edged weapons are reported, such as the skull and head reproduction of the man on the cover of "Blood Red Roses". We have no idea when or how these wounds were inflicted but couldn't these give some support to the idea that partial penitration of armour was at least occasionally achieved?
Nathan Johnson

PostPosted: Wed 29 Oct, 2008 3:06 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Great helms made from many plates seem to have most of there angels directly over the face.
mabye the development this shape has something to do with eastern horse archers riding up close and firing right in the face as well as lance hits in the same area,
If thats one of the reasons for this style it would make more sense than a helm with a flat surface over the face and a round top.
The great helm can be worn over a skullcap, attached to a chain and then cast of when battle conditions change.

I know very little of this era so I'm probably way off.
Jeff A. Arbogast

PostPosted: Wed 29 Oct, 2008 5:46 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Ah well, this will be my last post on this subject-
Despite all claims to the contrary, and some pretty rude comments by certain individuals, I haven't been pursuaded that the Maciejowski Bible was nothing more than a Medieval Marvel comic book. I fail to see why those who wrote it would even THINK that way. I believe that there IS some truth in it, and the depictions shown have some level of truth, although how much is open to debate. I have no doubt that a top-notch sword would be capable of cutting open a helm like those shown, and mail as well, and a Danish ax would make mincemeat out of anything that approached within range, mail-clad or not. It was good enough for Richard Lionheart.
Modern tests do not tell the whole story either, whatever some believe. My example of an Albion being tested was poo-poo'd, while other modern tests that perhaps made someone else's case were held up as gospel. One cannot discuss a subject politely and rationally with that sort of mindset, along with the unpleasantness of the tone to boot. A friend of mine who has been on these boards in the past told me that I was wasting my time here, and I must regretfully agree that he was correct. It's just no fun.

Randall Moffett

Reading list: 5 books

PostPosted: Thu 30 Oct, 2008 12:15 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I have a hard time seeing a sword cut or slice through a helmet. I suppose if the helmet is less than .8mm/1mm and is of very poor quality material I can see it as more possible though. An average sword on an average helmet the force gets distributed to make it much more difficult. That said the idea that piercing steel with these weapons is a different can of worms completely. As to Steven H's comment... First off these were written not for battle but one on one fights. You have much less to worry about (numerically I assume would exponentially increase attacks made etc.) and I think the targets can be selected with more care one on one. I am sure it was always easier but to say a halberd or the like cannot puncture armour I do not feel is accurate. Not an easy way to go true. Fiori seems to have felt it possible as in verso 35 of poleaxe in armour he states of the Posta Breve la Serpentina it can pass through coraze and panceroni, or cuirass and breastplate. We have tried on low carbon fairly simple globoses on punching bags and got deep penetration, that said the punching bag did not ever attack back, but as it being possible I have no reason to doubt it could happen. So going back to cutting through armour with a sword. I bet for the most part not that easy but piercing perhaps more so.

My 2 cents, or pence if you like.

RPM
Elling Polden

PostPosted: Thu 30 Oct, 2008 5:34 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Barrel helms give quite poor visibility; thus, it makes sense to use a open faced helmet for melee or ground combat.
It might also be more comfortable to wear the barrelhelm this way, since the cervilet/skullcap fits the head better.

In short, an exceptionally strong blow might cack a helmet, but I would not bet my life on it in combat.

"this [fight] looks curious, almost like a game. See, they are looking around them before they fall, to find a dry spot to fall on, or they are falling on their shields. Can you see blood on their cloths and weapons? No. This must be trickery."
-Reidar Sendeman, from King Sverre's Saga, 1201
Josh Warren

PostPosted: Thu 30 Oct, 2008 8:11 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Jeff, you and your friend the welder seem very stuck on the point about the sword being higher-quality steel than the helmet. I don't think a super-hard steel sword would perform much better at helmet-cleaving than a softer sword would. A harder sword will hold its edge longer, but isn't necessarily going to be so much sharper than a mild steel sword that it can cleave helms like butter. The steel sword isn't so much harder than the iron helm that it will make cutting through said helm an easy task.
Non Concedo

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Cutting through helmets
Page 3 of 6 Reply to topic
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: