Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Makers and Manufacturers Talk > Albion's 10th Anniversary Sale Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next 
Nathan Keysor

Reading list: 9 books

Feedback score: None
PostPosted: Wed 15 Oct, 2008 9:23 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I think both Thomas and Allan's points are valid. I suppose it depends on whether you preordered a model that is still in the planning stage or not. I can see it being very aggravating to put down a deposit on something and before it is in production the price goes down for everyone else. It does take a certain amount of trust and customer loyalty to commit to buy something that doesn't even exist yet. I ordered two swords prior to the price increase and have received both and am happy about the deal I got. However, do agree that the timing of this sale (which I appreciate) is a bit close to the recent price increase.
"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for dinner.
Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote!"
Michael R. Black

PostPosted: Wed 15 Oct, 2008 10:09 am    Post subject: sale         Reply with quote

I'm not sure how I feel about the decision of not honoring the new sale price for existing pre-orders.

I have two Albion swords on order (neither is yet in production). One has been paid in full for over 1.5 years. The other is a sword I decided to add during Albions last sale. I have been making small payments on a bi-weekly basis.

Albion has had my money for a while now, and I have been okay with that, as my experience of the company's customer service and product has been very positive. Maybe even beyond very positive in most instances.

My annoyance is that if I'd been in the position of committing to that second sword during a 25% off sale, I would probably have gone with a more expensive model rather than what I ordered.

On the other hand, expecting nothing to change after all the negatives in our current economy is probably unrealistic. I rushed in to get my sword order set before a price increase when the major economic fears were inflationary. Now that things have slowed down, a lot of retailers are likely to reduce prices a bit in order to survive. If taking an 11% discount rather than a 25% discount on that last Albion sword order is the result, then I suppose I'll manage to live with it. After all, i really like the company, and I'm highly interested in their continuing business.

Michael
Thomas Jason

PostPosted: Wed 15 Oct, 2008 10:26 am    Post subject: Re: sale         Reply with quote

I know exactly how I feel over this and I've cancelled all transactions with them as a result.

The lack of courtesy to those who have preordered models that aren't in production is downright rude.
Paul Watson

PostPosted: Wed 15 Oct, 2008 10:39 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

There are definitely two sides to this issue, each with it's own merit

Thomas' I can see your point in that it would be frustrating, and without knowing what position you were in with your orders (i.e. deposit put down, swords in production yet to be received, swords not in production) it is difficult to form a full opinion of your position. To be completely honest I would probably be frustrated in your case. I do not think I would have cancellled my order however.

Similarly the extent of Albion's backorder/preorders is something that none of us will ever know and if they were to blanketly apply this discount to every sword on order they would probably be in a lot of trouble financially. On the other side of the argument Albion do honour previous prices for swords that have been preordered (the Munich is a good example, between being announced and finally being in production the price increased significantly, so those who preorded when it first came out, were paying much less than those who ordered upon commencement of manufacturing).

Is it really fair that we as consumers have everything in our favour in every instance? It certainly isn't fair on Albion and they do have a business to run. I would say if it was their policy to make a current order subject to the latest price decrease, then it should also make any current order subject to any price increase.

From Albions perspective this situation is exacerbated by the fact that they are not a mass production company (such as a tyre company or electrical appliance company) and as such much more sensitive to price changes.

I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, but that which it protects. (Faramir, The Two Towers)
Bryce Felperin

PostPosted: Wed 15 Oct, 2008 10:44 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Personally, I think Albion should not take orders for non-existing products in any case. Yes it does them good by having money in the bank for R&D and developing those models, but that only works out well if they come onto the market in a timely fashion. Some of those models have been advertised and been taking pre-orders for two years or more now.

So I can understand why some people on this forum are a bit pissed about this sale. My advice...cancel your order and order something else at discount that you can get instead. Order the vapor sword products when they become available.

The only strategy for buying vapor swords in advance, in my opinon, is to gurantee availability or to get them at reduced price (in case of price increases in the future). If you bought the vapor swords already you have locked in both, so you can rest easy. You're probably saving money on what they'll cost in the future anyway and you're guranteed to get them. If you really want the discount, then cancel you're previous order for the vapor sword and reorder it. If Albion doesn't let you do that, THEN you have a customer satisfaction issue. Personally I figure a bird in the hand is worth two in the bush. So get your Albion swords today and order your vapor sword when it becomes available instead.

Anyway I'm ordering my Earl today, and damn happy to get it.

Thanks all for reading my ramblings.

Bryce
Mike Capanelli

Reading list: 5 books

PostPosted: Wed 15 Oct, 2008 10:53 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Paul Watson wrote:
From Albions perspective this situation is exacerbated by the fact that they are not a mass production company (such as a tyre company or electrical appliance company) and as such much more sensitive to price changes.

That's really the point. With the type of business they run their in no position to take a hit like a large corporate entity would be. It's really just a small shop with a large overhead and a handful of employees. The split between list and retail is just not enough to afford any kind of hit. A sale like this is an effort to drum up new business and offer to the existing following a chance to save on something that may have been a little out of their range, and it certainly wasn't meant as an affront to people with open orders. I'm in the same boat as you man. I have an open order with my Munich where is I waited I would have saved about $96. yet I feel if i waited the money I had set aside would have gone to something else. I guess that neither here nor there though. I do something similar in my own business where I only offer certain prices for first time sign ups as an incentive. So while I understand your point, I'm happy with the way I've been treated and waiting in expectation of my Munich so all in all I'm a happy customer. It's only my opinion Thomas yet I believe for me to cancel my order of a $96 savings would be a little self defeating. That's my 2 cents adjusted for inflation.

Winter is coming
Thomas Jason

PostPosted: Wed 15 Oct, 2008 11:03 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

This was more to me about violating the spirit of the agreement that was made prior to the price increase than the actual dollar amount.

I've said my peace, and cancelled my orders.
Roger Hooper

Spotlight topics: 4

PostPosted: Wed 15 Oct, 2008 11:45 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Though Albion is customer friendly in many ways, they are also a low profit, close to the bone company doing business and trying to survive. Albion isn't our buddy or our kindly, rich uncle, and we have no entitlements with them.
Thomas Jason

PostPosted: Wed 15 Oct, 2008 11:51 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Roger Hooper wrote:
Though Albion is customer friendly in many ways, they are also a low profit, close to the bone company doing business and trying to survive. Albion isn't our buddy or our kindly, rich uncle, and we have no entitlements with them.

And the customer isn't Albion's buddy or kindly rich uncle, and they are not entitled to our money either.

They make the best production swords on the market, but that doesn't mean they can give customers the shaft whenever they feel like it.
Nathan Robinson
myArmoury Admin

myArmoury Admin

Reading list: 327 books

Spotlight topics: 32

Feedback score: 100%
(12 total ▮ 100% positive)
PostPosted: Wed 15 Oct, 2008 12:07 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thomas -

Enough is enough. myArmoury.com and the "Makers' forum in particular (which is a place for makers to promote themselves) is not a place for you to carry on your personal crusades. You've made your point and now it's time for you to let go of it. Should you feel compelled to continue, I suggest you make your own soap box on which to rant.

If you have any additional comments or questions about this, you can feel free to message me directly.

Thank you.

.:. Visit my Collection Gallery :: View my Reading List :: View my Wish List :: See Pages I Like :: Find me on Facebook .:.
Paul Watson

PostPosted: Wed 15 Oct, 2008 12:15 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thomas, feeling aggreived over the breaking of the spirit of your deal with Albion is fair enough from a personal point of view, but I've got to come out and say if they did offer this to every current order on their books then Albion would very likely be absolutley stuffed. This offer could not just extend to people in your situation but would have to extend to all people with orders, including models still in development.

20% off any sword anyone may wish to order up to the 23rd of this month, thanks very much for your genourosity Howy.
I think that is awesome. I am thinking of either the Baron or Knecht. What is even better is that you are going to give me and every member here another 5% off. Wow, I just did the math and another 5% off the price off the Knecht is US$80. Are you actually going to give me another $80 off a possible Knecht purchase just for being a member of this site?

I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, but that which it protects. (Faramir, The Two Towers)
Søren Niedziella

PostPosted: Wed 15 Oct, 2008 3:09 pm    Post subject: No Sale at Albion Europe         Reply with quote

Hi,

I am sorry it took me so long to get the message here - but the sale doesn't cover Albion Europe. I hope that in about 8 years time AE will still be around so I can do something like this myself :-) Big congratulations to Albion US for the first 10 years :-)

Søren

Albion Europe ApS
Vesterbrogade 74, 4.
1620 Copenhagen V
Denmark
Stephanie Maks

Reading list: 9 books

PostPosted: Wed 15 Oct, 2008 3:57 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

What really got me about this announcement was, I saw the announcement here not two hours after I decided that I was not going to buy any more swords this year. I'd been eyeing one or two Albions but I've spent my sword-budget for the year...

Who can pass up 25% off though? I figure, if I pre-order the Alaris Spatha that I've been looking at, then I'm technically not buying a new sword this year... it's in next year's budget! Big Grin

Cheers!

-Stephanie
Hugo Voisine

PostPosted: Wed 15 Oct, 2008 4:26 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Wow, this is tempting. If only I wasn't so broke... I wish the sale had extended to the Maestro line (would have put the The Epée de Guerre on preorder).
« Que dites-vous ?... C'est inutile ?... Je le sais !
Mais on ne se bat pas dans l'espoir du succès !
Oh ! non, c'est bien plus beau lorsque c'est inutile ! »
Scott Kowalski

PostPosted: Wed 15 Oct, 2008 4:31 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

What kills me is that nothing I have tried has persuaded my wife to let me order a sword. Even the one about it being an investment. Sad At least I have a week to wear her down. Though I do see her point since she is only working part time as a sub. Cry

Does anyone else have any thoughts on tactics to use?
Michael Edelson

Spotlight topics: 2

PostPosted: Wed 15 Oct, 2008 4:45 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Scott Kowalski wrote:
What kills me is that nothing I have tried has persuaded my wife to let me order a sword. Even the one about it being an investment. Sad At least I have a week to wear her down. Though I do see her point since she is only working part time as a sub. Cry

How about....

"In what part of our marriage vows did I swear to give up my freedom of choice as a human being and become your slave? If you agree that we are an equal partnership, and you'd better agree or we're going to have problems, then it is fair for you to deny me the purchase of an expensive luxury item such a sword. In this economic climate, luxuries are our last priority. That is why from now on, you are not to buy any make up or other specialty feminine hygiene products. You already have a husband, I don't give a damn what you look like, and you shouldn't care what other people think. Furthermore, no more ice cream or cake or any luxury food. I have decided that all money spent on this stuff (much more per anum than any sword) would be better spent in a high yield savings account or other safe investment. Disobey me on this, and there will be an Albion in my mailbox. We are an equal partnership, and what one can do, the other can do."

You asked... Happy

(and it's for a good cause!)

New York Historical Fencing Association
www.newyorklongsword.com

Byakkokan Dojo
http://newyorkbattodo.com/
Bryce Felperin

PostPosted: Wed 15 Oct, 2008 4:50 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Michael Edelson wrote:
Scott Kowalski wrote:

How about....

"In what part of our marriage vows did I swear to give up my freedom of choice as a human being and become your slave? If you agree that we are an equal partnership, and you'd better agree or we're going to have problems, then it is fair for you to deny me the purchase of an expensive luxury item such a sword. In this economic climate, luxuries are our last priority. That is why from now on, you are not to buy any make up or other specialty feminine hygiene products. You already have a husband, I don't give a damn what you look like, and you shouldn't care what other people think. Furthermore, no more ice cream or cake or any luxury food. I have decided that all money spent on this stuff (much more per anum than any sword) would be better spent in a high yield savings account or other safe investment. Disobey me on this, and there will be an Albion in my mailbox. We are an equal partnership, and what one can do, the other can do."

You asked... Happy

(and it's for a good cause!)

Well that is one way of putting it...and sleeping on the couch for a month. ;-)

How about "Honey, I'll do all the house chores and give you foot massages for the next two months..."

Carrots work just as well as sticks in many of these situations. Of course I'm divorced, so you may choose to disregard what I have to say here. ;-)
Joe Fults

Feedback score: 100%
(6 total ▮ 100% positive)
PostPosted: Wed 15 Oct, 2008 5:10 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Question ends up being what is in stock and ready to ship as this discount gets into the range of second hand stuff.
"The goal shouldn’t be to avoid being evil; it should be to actively do good." - Danah Boyd
Clayton Woods
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Wed 15 Oct, 2008 5:10 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Scott Kowalski wrote:

I guess I'm lucky. For last Valentine's Day I procured a Valkyrja for my wife. She was totally bouncing around the house in glee over it and is still showing it to guests. Wink

The only suggestion I can give you is that on October 24th you'll get an immediate 33% boost to the value of your investment! Big Grin Wouldn't it be nice if your 401k could do that?

-----
Clayton R. Woods
Buckleheads Casting Dept.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
Bill Sahigan

PostPosted: Wed 15 Oct, 2008 5:47 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hehe

Step 1: Buy lots of albion before 23rd
Step 2: Open ebay account
Step 3: ???
Step 4: Profit!

Forum Index > Makers and Manufacturers Talk > Albion's 10th Anniversary Sale
Page 2 of 5 Reply to topic
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic