Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Questions about "Buck and Ball" loadings or cartridges? Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Justin Pasternak

PostPosted: Wed 08 Oct, 2008 8:19 pm    Post subject: Questions about "Buck and Ball" loadings or cartri         Reply with quote

When were "Buck and Ball" loadings or cartridges first used in muskets and how effective were they against the enemy? Question
Lin Robinson

Reading list: 6 books

PostPosted: Thu 09 Oct, 2008 3:44 am    Post subject: Re: Questions about "Buck and Ball" loadings or ca         Reply with quote

Justin Pasternak wrote:
When were "Buck and Ball" loadings or cartridges first used in muskets and how effective were they against the enemy? Question

I cannot say for sure, but suspect that they were first used in the 18th c. I cannot remember any references to these cartidges in any F & I War lit that I have read but they were definitely in use during the American Revolution. They continued to be used until the middle of the 19th c., when some Civil War regiments, at least until the middle of the war, were issued smoothbore muskets firing this type of cartridge.

These loads have been tested in modern times by many people, including me. Since I was firing at paper targets rather than ballistic material, I cannot speak to the destructive power of the load, but would opine that being hit by a .70 cal. round ball and two or three buckshot would cause some very bad wounds. The buckshot tends to spread, and at ranges beyond 50 yards getting all four projectiles to hit the target can be problematic. I used a Pedersoli Brown Bess to do my test, which was 20 years ago, and I do not have any data available other than the anecdote I just provided.

Lin Robinson

"The best thing in life is to crush your enemies, see them driven before you and hear the lamentation of their women." Conan the Barbarian, 1982
Richard Hare

PostPosted: Thu 09 Oct, 2008 6:05 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Justin,
I seem to remember that Roger's Rangers used this combination in the F& I war, but something is nagging that it was used in Europe before this, but can't think of the reference.
It makes perfect sence to use such a load for sentry duty.(in the dark)

Re. effectiveness, it would depend on range.
Like Lin said, the bucksjot spreads wide.
Having said that, in a situation like Bunker Hill, it didn't matter if the buck struck a different target to the ball, it still made a casualty who would be less likely to press forward.

At close range, this combination woud be rather deadly, as a close miss could still be a hit....if you see what I mean!

Richard.
Lin Robinson

Reading list: 6 books

PostPosted: Thu 09 Oct, 2008 3:02 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Richard Hare wrote:
Justin,
I seem to remember that Roger's Rangers used this combination in the F& I war, but something is nagging that it was used in Europe before this, but can't think of the reference.
Richard.

I could be wrong but I think that buck & ball cartridges were peculiar to America.

Lin Robinson

"The best thing in life is to crush your enemies, see them driven before you and hear the lamentation of their women." Conan the Barbarian, 1982
Ted Parolari

PostPosted: Thu 09 Oct, 2008 7:59 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I'm not really sure when they starting using buck and ball, but is was the common round used by most local guard/militia units on both sides at the beginning of the American Civil War. When the Damn Yankees... oops sorry bout that! Laughing Out Loud When the Union Army switched these guard/militia units to the rifled musket, many units almost mutinied when they found out that they would not be able to use the buck and ball cartridges in the new rifles. They were hugely popular because the soldiers felt they had much more of chance of hitting what they were aiming at. They were really only accurate out to a hundred yards or so. After that it was a crap shoot.

I suspect that after retraining they were much more comfortable using the minnie balls, since the range was drastically increased. However it also meant that many of these men had to learn to be better marksmen. By the end of the war most Union Army units were using minnie balls. The Confederates used buck and ball through out the war.
Hunter B.

PostPosted: Thu 09 Oct, 2008 8:57 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

From what I know it was used from the mid-18th century up to 1865, at least in the case of one of my great (couple of times removed) grandfather's. We still have his shotgun and captured yankee bayonet.
“It is the loose ends with which men hang themselves.”
Helge B.

PostPosted: Fri 10 Oct, 2008 1:22 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

There is an interesting wikipedia article about buck and ball shots. It mentions a test described in a book from Claud E. Fuller:

"Claud E. Fuller, in his book The Rifled Musket (New York: Bonanza Books, 1958) shows tests of a rifled musket firing Minie balls, and a smoothbore musket firing round ball and buck and ball rounds at various ranges. At ranges of 200 yards (180 m) and under, the buck and ball from the smoothbore musket, while less accurate than the rifled musket, actually produces a greater number of hits due to the greater number of projectiles; 37 of 50 Minie balls, vs. 18 of 50 balls and 31 of 150 buckshot, for a total of 49 hits in 50 shots. Beyond this range, the buckshot will have lost sufficient energy to become ineffective due to its lower ballistic coefficient."

Does anyone know the size of the target used in this test? I find it amazing that at a range of 180m the buck and ball shots gets more hits than the minie ball. I would have expected the break even point after which the latter would be more effective to be at about 100m.
B. Fulton

PostPosted: Sat 11 Oct, 2008 10:55 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

If you were doing "area fire" (aiming at an entire section, company, or battalion) as was the general case with smoothbores, of course the B-B load will get more hits. You're not aiming at one particular target, you're aiming at "those guys over there". One ball and multiple pellets drastically increase the likelihood of at least wounding someone in the enemy unit with every shot.

Minie bullets are far more accurate (and like a musket ball, very destructive). You can pick and hit one target much further away, but it takes more bullets/men to cause as many general casualties (as opposed to kills) as with the B&B load.
Justin Pasternak

PostPosted: Tue 14 Oct, 2008 8:42 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I'd like to thank everyone that helped me out with this topic. Thanks Again!

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Questions about "Buck and Ball" loadings or cartridges?
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic