Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > A question on warbows Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Grayson C.

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Fri 10 Oct, 2008 10:54 am    Post subject: A question on warbows         Reply with quote

I've got a question on warbows, or rather how to purchase one. Where exactly would one go to purchase a warbow with a pull of 100# or more? Many of the sites that I frequent offer bows that are about 60# but say that they can make bows over this length as well.

Does anyone here have any suggestions?
Randall Moffett

Reading list: 5 books

PostPosted: Fri 10 Oct, 2008 11:27 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I have lived outside the States for too long so do not know any good bowyers there but when I get the cash together I hope to get a 110-120 from Steve here.

http://www.diyarchery.co.uk/

Send Steve an email and I am sure he could help you out.

Are you currently drawing a pretty substancial bow? 100 is pretty tough stuff to start on.

RPM
Jan H.

PostPosted: Fri 10 Oct, 2008 12:25 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Although Pip Bickerstafffe is not from the US but from the UK, it might be worth a try.

http://www.bickerstaffebows.co.uk/products.ph...%20Warbows

Cheers!
Lin Robinson

Reading list: 6 books

PostPosted: Fri 10 Oct, 2008 4:42 pm    Post subject: Re: A question on warbows         Reply with quote

Grayson C. wrote:
I've got a question on warbows, or rather how to purchase one. Where exactly would one go to purchase a warbow with a pull of 100# or more? Many of the sites that I frequent offer bows that are about 60# but say that they can make bows over this length as well.

Does anyone here have any suggestions?

I would not start at 100#, but if you have experience and have been drawing a bow with something close to that weight have at it. Shooting a bow that is too strong for you is no fun.

Lin Robinson

"The best thing in life is to crush your enemies, see them driven before you and hear the lamentation of their women." Conan the Barbarian, 1982
Jonathan Blair

Reading list: 2 books

PostPosted: Fri 10 Oct, 2008 5:02 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Randall Moffett wrote:
I have lived outside the States for too long so do not know any good bowyers there but when I get the cash together I hope to get a 110-120 from Steve here.

http://www.diyarchery.co.uk/

Send Steve an email and I am sure he could help you out.

Are you currently drawing a pretty substancial bow? 100 is pretty tough stuff to start on.

RPM

I second the recommendation on diyarchery.

"Think not that I am come to send peace on earth: I came not to send peace, but a sword." - The Lord Jesus Christ, from The Gospel According to Saint Matthew, chapter x, verse 34, Authorized Version of 1611
Grayson C.

PostPosted: Fri 10 Oct, 2008 7:59 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Actually I pull a 75 lb bow pretty well, but the bow isn't really for me but a friend who is interested and I figured the folks here would know where to go to get a bow of much heavier poundage than normal. That said, I've pulled 100 lbs before and I found it tremendously difficult but not impossible.
Daniel B.

PostPosted: Fri 10 Oct, 2008 8:49 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hello Grayson,

I can confidently recommend Bill Darr from Whipperwill Archery. He's in the states and has been making bows for several decades and stands behind his workmanship. I've personally owned 2 warbows/longbows from him so far. The first was Ash 75# @ 32" with a second Ash 70# @ 32". I've had the second since 2005 and have over 1000 arrows loosed on it. My old roommate has a yew 80-90# @ 32" since 2003 and another yew 35# @ 28" since 2005 (don't quote me on the weights it's been a while) which continue to shoot beautifully. I currently have a yew 85-90# @ 32" and Red Elm 40-45# @ 26" waiting to be completed by years end. Other than these, my other friends have purchased from him traditional indian flatbows from Osage with similar success. I all heartedly endorse him as a superb bowyer.

He can make it from yew, ash, elm or other exotics. Let me know if you're interested in his contact information and I'll PM you with it.

Best,

Db
Grayson C.

PostPosted: Fri 10 Oct, 2008 11:28 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Daniel Balseiro wrote:
Hello Grayson,

I can confidently recommend Bill Darr from Whipperwill Archery. He's in the states and has been making bows for several decades and stands behind his workmanship. I've personally owned 2 warbows/longbows from him so far. The first was Ash 75# @ 32" with a second Ash 70# @ 32". I've had the second since 2005 and have over 1000 arrows loosed on it. My old roommate has a yew 80-90# @ 32" since 2003 and another yew 35# @ 28" since 2005 (don't quote me on the weights it's been a while) which continue to shoot beautifully. I currently have a yew 85-90# @ 32" and Red Elm 40-45# @ 26" waiting to be completed by years end. Other than these, my other friends have purchased from him traditional indian flatbows from Osage with similar success. I all heartedly endorse him as a superb bowyer.

He can make it from yew, ash, elm or other exotics. Let me know if you're interested in his contact information and I'll PM you with it.

Best,

Db

Sure, give me the info and I'll be sure to pass it on to my friend!
Chuck Russell

Reading list: 46 books

PostPosted: Sat 11 Oct, 2008 5:44 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

http://www.ancientarchery.com/ this guy is pretty good. i know some people that have bows that like them. i bought some arrows and am more than happy with them.

edit: well crud. he's not taking any new bows. its a shame too. well maybe in the future he will start again.

that being said i found a few other link for ya.,

http://216.119.68.89/store/index.php?main_pag...9da8a9dba7

http://216.119.68.89/store/index.php?main_pag...9da8a9dba7

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > A question on warbows
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic