Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Viking Leather Padded Garment Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next 
Jean-Carle Hudon

PostPosted: Sun 26 Oct, 2008 7:34 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Nick,
thank you for the information regarding the Sammi from Lappland, not really within my chords. I also appreciate the confirmation that trade did exist with the other scandinavians, and that one of the products from the north being saught by those from the south was skins. Being a french canadian, and knowing more about how important beaver pelts were to french and english and dutch in the sixteenth century, I had a hunch that people on the littoral of the Baltic would go inland and further north for Reindeer pelts, and that this would go further back in time as the coast was settled further back in time, and was certainly quite settled by the viking period when the scandinavians became net exporters of population.
I would like to note that some who don't accept the hypothesis of leather padded garments seem to think that such a garment is proposed as stand alone armor. I don't think this is what is being discussed, rather that a gambeson garment type of padded leather existed,to be worn under mail. The presence of leather would not make the combination any stronger against thrusts nor bone crushing blows, but would go a long way in preserving warmth in cold damp climates.
Since we do know, thanks Nick, that Vikings did trade for skins with their own northern neighbours, it just makes sense that they would use these skins to optimum use, especially when under the obligation to add freezing metal to the mix.
Z
As for the role played by kangaroos, well, they seem to be better understood by people who play and reenact in warmer climes, people I will no doubt soon envy as the thermometer dips below zero. Cheers. JC

Bon coeur et bon bras
Nick Trueman

PostPosted: Sun 26 Oct, 2008 8:40 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

No worries Jean

They certainly did trade with Lapps theres no doubt. Furs were such a prized commodity to the Norse, not only for there own use but for further trade south along the Russian river trade routes. The Fins developed a much stronger bond with the Norse and prized raw bronze which they also traded for furs, pelt, skins etc. The Finns prized bronze over silver? I cannot answer this.

Stronger ties developed with the Finns than the Ugrian tribes in this area. The Finish culture certainly was strongly influenced by Norse artistic taste. jewelry and sword hilts prove this....I believe Albion was making or has already produced a Finish sword that shows clear Norse influence? With the Ugrian tribes It may simply come down to language barriers or maybe a healthy dose of mistrust? This is something i will need to do further reading on.

As for the armour discussion, everyone is entitled to a opinion and not everyone is going to agree. Im going to leave it at that as I think I have added enough reasons for my argument. they are valid and backed by archaeology. Off coarse no science is perfect, but I feel it is more satisfying for me than speculation.

Thanks Jean

Nick
Mikael Ranelius

PostPosted: Sun 26 Oct, 2008 9:13 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Nick, the Ugrian peoples like the Khanty and Mansi lived (live) further east, east of the river Volga towards western Siberia. We know they had contact with the Slavs and eastern Finns (such as the Mari, Komi and Mordvins), but I don't think they had much direct contact with the Norse or western (Baltic) Finns (although I know of a Scandinavian sword found in an Ugrian grave, very interesting).

Jean-Carle, the discussion was originally about the existence of stand-alone leather armour, with the existence of padded arming coats as a side-discussion. If the Norse would have wanted extra warm fur coats under their armour, they would not have needed to buy (probably expensive) reindeer hides from the Saami, but could have used other kinds of pelts such as sheep, goat or moose that was more easily available. Then, fur clothing is not very suitable for damp weather, as it is easily damaged by moist. Nevertheless, we know that fur-lined coats/tunics and cloaks were used, but certainly they were not intentionally made as some kind of armour (although wearing a thick fur-lined woolen tunic under your mail shirt might have worked somewhat like a padded gambeson)
Anders Nilsson

Reading list: 4 books

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Sun 26 Oct, 2008 1:26 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Nick Trueman

Very nice picture of the Finnish woman. Just one question, what is it that she´s got in the belt? Is it a bag or a large knife?

Anders "Nelle" Nilsson, Instructor Angermanna Mnhfs
To train martial arts without fighting is like slalom without snow.
Ville Vinje

PostPosted: Sun 26 Oct, 2008 3:35 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Anders Nilsson wrote:
Nick Trueman

Very nice picture of the Finnish woman. Just one question, what is it that she´s got in the belt? Is it a bag or a large knife?

It's a knife sheath in bronze.
Don Z

PostPosted: Sun 26 Oct, 2008 4:35 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

it's mostly flash Wink
the knife is pretty small

about the size of a pairing knife
Nick Trueman

PostPosted: Sun 26 Oct, 2008 7:06 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Very off topic but here is the knife.

n

Attachment: 104.48 KB
[ Download ]
Tony Peterson

Reading list: 8 books

PostPosted: Sun 26 Oct, 2008 7:27 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Nick Trueman wrote:
Very off topic but here is the knife.

n

Thanks Nick, its great to have a more detailed look at the knife

Cancel the kitchen scraps for lepers and orphans, no more merciful beheadings, and call off Christmas!

The time of heroes is dead: the christ god has killed it, leaving nothing but weeping martyrs and fear and shame.

If we die... it will be for GLORY, not gold.
Nick Trueman

PostPosted: Sun 26 Oct, 2008 7:38 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

"The Sámi people are the indigenous people of northern Europe inhabiting Sápmi, which today encompasses parts of northern Sweden, Norway, Finland and the Kola Peninsula of Russia. Their ancestral lands span across an area the size of Sweden in the Nordic countries. The Sámi people are among the largest indigenous ethnic groups in Europe. Their languages are the Sámi languages, which are classified as Finnic in the Finno-Ugric group."

Map of the spread of the language.

Cheers

N

Attachment: 140.2 KB
755px-Fenno-Ugrian_people.png

Nick Trueman

PostPosted: Sun 26 Oct, 2008 7:41 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Tony

The knife and sheath in situ.

Cheers mate

N

Attachment: 68.2 KB
seax,knife,gotland,finland,rus,sweden (6).jpg

Tony Peterson

PostPosted: Sun 26 Oct, 2008 8:00 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Great stuff Nick,

Thanks for the intresting info and pictures

Cancel the kitchen scraps for lepers and orphans, no more merciful beheadings, and call off Christmas!

The time of heroes is dead: the christ god has killed it, leaving nothing but weeping martyrs and fear and shame.

Chris Gilman

PostPosted: Sun 26 Oct, 2008 8:23 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Since we are on the Finnish knife for a bit.
Here is a repro I made for My Finnish wife.

Chris
Tony Peterson

PostPosted: Sun 26 Oct, 2008 9:07 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Very impressive Chris, thats one hell of a nice gift.

Nick Trueman

PostPosted: Mon 27 Oct, 2008 5:38 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Tops job Chris

Should be more of this type of dedication.

Cheers

n
Don Z

PostPosted: Mon 27 Oct, 2008 5:07 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

i concur

that's some nice work

hell it's almost prettier than me
Chase S-R

PostPosted: Mon 27 Oct, 2008 7:50 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Quote:
Could you give me some idea of how you think this leather armour was constructed? Can you use archaeological pieces or evidence to support your theory?

In his Dictionaire de Mobilier (Dictionary of Equipment) (vol.5,pp.70-73&241-242) Violet-le-duc claims that the norman knights at the battle of hastings wore small metal plates or rings sewn onto a leather jerkin, and well his work is long considered definitive I think that maille was more likely for that era. His work does site some examples though so you can read that area and form your own opinion. Colonel Penguilly d'Haridon seems to hold the same opinion as De-Luc if you would like to read his work as well.
The excavations at the Chateau de Blois uncovered a plate of metal dating to the 9th-10th cent. which included holes for rivets and remanents of a leather jerkin to which the 6cm plate was attatched.
At Colletiere several more plates and leather remmants were found from the same period.
Chess set of Charlemagne carved in southern italy are wearing jerkins covered in what appears to be leather with metal scales
As for construction how about a plaited leather jerkin of the type carved on a capitol at Vezelay from 1000-1100
to understand what I mean you can see a drawing based off the carving done by Violet-de-Luc. The leather Jerkin would be reinforced with by braided leather strips these were "sewn onto the background leather using leather threads around twisted thongs or with hempen threads. A skin bonnet covered with a cloth hood protected the head and throat"

Nice knife sheath by the way

Charles Stewart Rodriguez
Chase S-R

PostPosted: Mon 27 Oct, 2008 7:52 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

P.s. I also agree there is no evidence of gambesons worn under maille made of either leather or cloth, they do however seem logical as wearing no such garment is quite uncomforatable
Chase S-R

PostPosted: Mon 27 Oct, 2008 7:55 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Oh and wearing a leather garment under your maille seems equally logical to wearing a cloth garment as the leather will not wear through as quickly as the cloth one
Chad Arnow
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

PostPosted: Mon 27 Oct, 2008 10:21 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Chase S-R wrote:

In his Dictionaire de Mobilier (Dictionary of Equipment) (vol.5,pp.70-73&241-242) Violet-le-duc claims that the norman knights at the battle of hastings wore small metal plates or rings sewn onto a leather jerkin, and well his work is long considered definitive I think that maille was more likely for that era. His work does site some examples though so you can read that area and form your own opinion. Colonel Penguilly d'Haridon seems to hold the same opinion as De-Luc if you would like to read his work as well.

Violet le Duc was an architect and his writings are over a hundred years old. I'm not sure any of his writings concerning arms and armour are still considered definitive.

Happy

ChadA

http://chadarnow.com/
Don Z

PostPosted: Mon 27 Oct, 2008 10:37 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

as previously stated the topic was mainly about leather sewn together as standalone armour

brigandine or other similar constructions contain other things....like metal
i don't see it as being effective in ways other than we have primary archeological evidence for.

by effective i include the ability to move enough to defend oneself from as many blows as possible.....

i don't think anyone has said they never used leather gambesond under armour

i think the main problem was the enchanted reindeer leather jacket as armour or evidence for standalone leather armour.....

of course i may have misunderstood the topic completely.....

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Viking Leather Padded Garment
Page 8 of 9 Reply to topic
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: