Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Viking Leather Padded Garment Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next 
Chase S-R

PostPosted: Fri 24 Oct, 2008 8:23 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Quote:
Dans comment is spot on. There is nothing, no extant finds for gambesons during the Viking age. For accuracy thick woolen tunics as Dan has suggested is as close as you can get.

There is also no evidence of wearing a few wool tunics....
Personally, think how much it hurts renacting with out a gambeson and then think how much it would hurt in battle without one. It seems logical a leather tunic could/would be worn underneath.
There is no evidence to suggest anything was worn under maille, that said it does not feel comforatable to have nothing underneath your maille but your skin.
I think the discussion is more about stand alone armour as Zach (the initiator of this discussion) wrote:
Quote:
well, it would mostly be worn as stand alone armor.

All my previous posts have been referring to stand alone armour.

Charles Stewart Rodriguez
Nick Trueman

PostPosted: Fri 24 Oct, 2008 10:16 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hi

There may not be any evidence for tunics being under armour, that is true. But there is extant finds of woolen tunics from the period being discussed. Padded textile armour has not survived.

I totally agree something was worn underneath maile. What I cant do is presume. Experimental archaeology sometimes is the only answer, so therefore we as reenactors, do wear gambesons under maile. But this to me is more of a safety precaution, not a statement that this article existed.

We do know that during this period the Byzantines were wearing a quilted type armour as described in the Praecepta Militaria. Still that is inconclusive that the Norse followed suit and made garments of the same pattern or material.

I try my best to follow archaeology as a means for recreating my impressions. It is my primary resource. Pictorial evidence comes 2nd if no archaeology can be found on a necessary piece of equipment. Accounts in Sagas do not rate at all and I base nothing on there writings.

With my Norse impression, the only thing I cannot document is my gambeson. All other pieces are based on extant finds. I will not make a piece of jewelery or a weapon unless I have all the measurements etc, to reconstruct the piece to the best of my ability.

Thats just the way I am.

Cheers

N
Mikael Ranelius

PostPosted: Sat 25 Oct, 2008 1:37 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Chase S-R wrote:
yes that is the saga, but I see nothing wong with the leather being enchanted. There are other sagas where maille is enchanted to protect the wearer, and ones where swords are made more powerfull through enchantment, you would not say the vikings did not have maille or swords merely because they were enchanted would you?

The difference is that while we know for sure that mail existed and was used as armour, we still don't know whether leather armour was used at the time and place. Nothing in the text suggests that the hides were constructed as armour, just that they were reindeer (fur) coats. To me, the mentioning of the reindeer coats are most likely put there in the Saga to make the "bad guys" look even worse by using wicked Saami witchcraft. As I see it, interpreting these coats as armour is pretty far-fetched and taken out of context.
Nick Trueman

PostPosted: Sat 25 Oct, 2008 2:46 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hi guys

Good point Mikael

And heres another....I have discussed this in a thread maybe a yr ago when a similar question popped up. Ok we have extant finds for leather objects far spread over the Norse world and time period.
We have shoes, Bags, remnants of leather preserved around metallic belt fixtures. Gotland and Birka have leather knife sheaths still intact.The list goes on.

Now heres my point...all of these leather products are under 3mm in thickness. Especially shoes, these seemed to be made of very fine leathers.
Explain to me how such fragile examples of leather work have survived? And yet no leather armour of any sort has ever been found? One would think a leather armour would be made of a much thicker hide, and could have survived fairly well. Yet there is nothing.

We have lamellar at Birka....Its Nomadic, probably of Khazar or Magyar construction. It is not Norse nor is it Rus, it is a borrowed technology.

Cheers

N
Nick Trueman

PostPosted: Sat 25 Oct, 2008 3:13 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Chase S-R wrote:
I'm just pointing out what are in the sagas. Like has been pointed out there is no complete maille shirt from the period, so would you say maille didn't exist? No because the sagas say they existed and their are scraps. There are scraps of leather as well and there are stories in the sagas. Would you say the authors of The Vikings Voyagers of conquest And Discovery are also deluded? Or the author of The Viking Hersir, or the authors of most of the books on this period?
Then their are the tapestry's and carvings which I guess must all have had creators who were mistaken...
And I guess the author of the saga must also have been mistaken...
oh and in the sagas many of the maille shirts had spells on them too so I guess they weren't protective either...
p.s. I really enjoyed being called "seriously deluded"

Yes there is a complete maile shirt from this period. Its just not Norse.... Tumulus 106, grave field at Kazazovo, Novorossiysk,
9th c. Also found was a complete iron helmet with camail.
Not only is the shirt complete, it has front and back slits, and a collar. This shirt is way ahead of its times.
It is a Khazar burial ground.

And The Gjermundbu mail shirt is pretty close to being complete.

N
Nick Trueman

PostPosted: Sat 25 Oct, 2008 8:57 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Mail from the ‘Garrison’ of Birka

http://members.ozemail.com.au/~chrisandpeter/mail/birka_mail.htm

Consider also that a leather gambeson will not breathe like a woolen garment will. modern fabrics also dont breathe well. It is important to construct your gambeson from pure wool and linen....allowing for air to permeate through the fabric. This will keep your body temp down.

Cheers

N
Jean-Carle Hudon

PostPosted: Sat 25 Oct, 2008 11:37 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

The men of the Maritimes made use of leather, seal leather, any other oiled skin, to fight the damp cold. New wool , with the oil as yet not washed out of it, can be quite usefull, but again the wool is best covered with something more water resistant, which will hold oil or wax to fight the humidity. Vikings used boats. Vikings were on the Baltic and the North Sea, both very cold climates. They had access to leather and wax, and seals, and they could freeze just as well as any other human being. I think I would conclude, without any grave finds, that they most probably dressed in a cold ocean appropriate manner, and most probably different from what we know of seafarers in a mediterranean setting.
Now on to mail, and the wearing of iron directly on the skin. One only has to experience damp skin in contact with cold iron once in a lifetime to know that it is an experience one would not want to repeat. Maybe some berserk tourist in the south of France might let go of his clothes, but no sane adult would walk around with conducting metal as a shirt in climates such as they have in Scandinavia, and I am quite sure of this without the reassuring presence of archeological finds to confirm this opinion.
Now, inasmuch as one realizes that wool covered with leather, is better than wool alone on a snowy day, or one of those days between winter and fall, or winter and spring, where rain is mixed in with snow and ice pellets, one can safely assume that people who new about reindeer coats also knew about what is best to wear on a cold damp day. No point in winning a sword fight naked with mail sticking to one's skin, only to die of pneumonia on the long walk or boat ride home. Have we ever found archeological evidence that damp skin sticks to metal in below zero weather ?
No, probably not, so I guess I will cast my lot with those who believe that leather padding garments were used in cold climates, far far away from Jerusalem, Rome and Carcassonne. It is the nature of man to use what nature offers to conquer nature. By the way, the Vikings had contacts with the Innu, and the Laps, and neither had any wool to use, you have to figure that the Vikings understood that wool tunics were not the end all and be all.
ON a more amuzing note I would propose next february as the appropriate time to test the mail on skin theory, at a full week camping event anywhere north of Mont-Tremblant or Stockholm .Those without full medical insurance need not apply. Cheers, I'M going back to sit by the fire.

Bon coeur et bon bras
Henrik Zoltan Toth

PostPosted: Sat 25 Oct, 2008 12:01 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Nick Trueman wrote:
Hi guys

Good point Mikael

And heres another....I have discussed this in a thread maybe a yr ago when a similar question popped up. Ok we have extant finds for leather objects far spread over the Norse world and time period.
We have shoes, Bags, remnants of leather preserved around metallic belt fixtures. Gotland and Birka have leather knife sheaths still intact.The list goes on.

Now heres my point...all of these leather products are under 3mm in thickness. Especially shoes, these seemed to be made of very fine leathers.
Explain to me how such fragile examples of leather work have survived? And yet no leather armour of any sort has ever been found? One would think a leather armour would be made of a much thicker hide, and could have survived fairly well. Yet there is nothing.

We have lamellar at Birka....Its Nomadic, probably of Khazar or Magyar construction. It is not Norse nor is it Rus, it is a borrowed technology.

Cheers

N

Nick,

do you have a picture or a link about the lamellars found in Birka?

Thanks,

Zoltán

(I have some pics from Kijev and detailed roman works about some battles with sarmatians in the Krim, also there is the Tactic of Konst. Perf.genetos, all of these are showing and mentioning different kinds of armours, some of them mentions especially leather armours)
Chase S-R

PostPosted: Sat 25 Oct, 2008 12:12 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Quote:
And The Gjermundbu mail shirt is pretty close to being complete

I know I have seen and photographed this shirt...
I am not debating the existance of maille I am just pointing out what few finds we we have of it, yet few would claim it didn't exist.
Experimental archeology has been done on leather and it is both wearable and tough enough to be used for defense.

Jean-Carle Hudon wrote about wearing leather clothing for sea voyages, the viking ship museum in Roskilde has a leather and wool suit designed for sea voyages they say is based on an original. I saw it first hand and I think it was on a show called "Secrets of the Viking Warriors" where they compared it to a modern fishermans suit.

Mikael Ranelius

PostPosted: Sat 25 Oct, 2008 12:40 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Jean-Carle, no one here has made any claims that the Viking-age Norse wore mail with nothing under it. Nor has anyone argued that they didn’t use fur and leather for some clothing; we know they did. The question is whether leather was used to make Viking armour, and also whether some kind of padded garment was worn beneath mail.

My belief is that leather armour was rare, if used at all. I haven’t yet seen any satisfying or convincing evidences to suggest Viking leather armour or padded garments, although I don’t find them to be inconceivable. But until more evidence appear, I will assume that my ancestors were happy to wear a sturdy woollen coat/tunic under their armour (for those who had), whether it was mail or lamellar.

Then as a side note, I think people here tend to exaggerate the Scandinavian climate. Denmark (including those parts that now belong to Sweden but used to be Danish) has a climate not unlike Britain, whereas the temperatures on the Norwegian coast are comparatively mild thanks to the warm Gulf Stream. Although the winters can be harsh (and even harsher in the past), it can get pretty hot during summer. Only the extreme north (present day Norwegian Finnmark and Swedish and Finnish Lapland) has anything like an arctic climate, and those parts were not inhabited by the Norse.
Jeff A. Arbogast

PostPosted: Sat 25 Oct, 2008 12:47 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Jean-Carle Hudon wrote:
The men of the Maritimes made use of leather, seal leather, any other oiled skin, to fight the damp cold. New wool , with the oil as yet not washed out of it, can be quite usefull, but again the wool is best covered with something more water resistant, which will hold oil or wax to fight the humidity. Vikings used boats. Vikings were on the Baltic and the North Sea, both very cold climates. They had access to leather and wax, and seals, and they could freeze just as well as any other human being. I think I would conclude, without any grave finds, that they most probably dressed in a cold ocean appropriate manner, and most probably different from what we know of seafarers in a mediterranean setting.
Now on to mail, and the wearing of iron directly on the skin. One only has to experience damp skin in contact with cold iron once in a lifetime to know that it is an experience one would not want to repeat. Maybe some berserk tourist in the south of France might let go of his clothes, but no sane adult would walk around with conducting metal as a shirt in climates such as they have in Scandinavia, and I am quite sure of this without the reassuring presence of archeological finds to confirm this opinion.
Now, inasmuch as one realizes that wool covered with leather, is better than wool alone on a snowy day, or one of those days between winter and fall, or winter and spring, where rain is mixed in with snow and ice pellets, one can safely assume that people who new about reindeer coats also knew about what is best to wear on a cold damp day. No point in winning a sword fight naked with mail sticking to one's skin, only to die of pneumonia on the long walk or boat ride home. Have we ever found archeological evidence that damp skin sticks to metal in below zero weather ?
No, probably not, so I guess I will cast my lot with those who believe that leather padding garments were used in cold climates, far far away from Jerusalem, Rome and Carcassonne. It is the nature of man to use what nature offers to conquer nature. By the way, the Vikings had contacts with the Innu, and the Laps, and neither had any wool to use, you have to figure that the Vikings understood that wool tunics were not the end all and be all.
ON a more amuzing note I would propose next february as the appropriate time to test the mail on skin theory, at a full week camping event anywhere north of Mont-Tremblant or Stockholm .Those without full medical insurance need not apply. Cheers, I'M going back to sit by the fire.

What perfect logic. I think that sometimes people don't give proper credit to the common sense of ancient peoples. We tend to think that we have the answers to everything, and that there's just nothing else to find out if there is no clear evidence of a given topic. In that case, reason, logic and plain old common sense must try to fill in the gaps, as above. Many cultures interacted with each other, through trade or warfare, and many ideas went back and forth, some adopted, some modified, and some discarded. Such is the march of history hand in hand with technology. To make an absolute statement about anything so far distant and so scantily recorded is a bit of a stretch. There are countless things about our ancestors that we simply cannot know, but I personally, evidence or not, have no problem at all believing that leather WAS used widely, on everything from shoes, to padding garments, to cold weather use, to armor, and on and on. And why not? There are passages in the Iliad relating how many layers of leather were on so-and-so's shield, and how a flung spear would penetrate four of five layers of hide, but was stopped by the sixth, etc. And these events (supposedly) took place in the 13th century B.C.! Leather has been with man since he crawled out of the slime, and is versatile and durable enough to be used on a WIDE variety of items, some peaceful, others not. And it was such a common material that the idea that it WAS NOT used for a particular use (even when perfectly suited for it) just seems unreasonable to me.

A man's nose is his castle-and his finger is a mighty sword that he may wield UNHINDERED!
Dan Howard

Spotlight topics: 2

PostPosted: Sat 25 Oct, 2008 2:48 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Chase S-R wrote:
This just is not true, what about munitions grade armour? Or armour that men-at-arms wore? Maille was still in use in the 15th century by warriors and men-at-arms who could not afford plate armour. What about padded jacks... Warriors who could not afford the best in armour did not fight naked.

These examples are very late in the period (considering the 4000 year history of warfare) when the cost of metal was low enough for it to be more widely distributed. Try and find an example dating to the time period in question. The only real exceptions are centralised authorities who would issue munitions armour to its troops (Byzantium, Rome, etc). In order to argue in favour of this you need to demonstrate that Scandinavia had such a central authority and a state-owned arsenal. And just to clarify the issue I'm talking about body armour, not helmets and shields which I acknowledge were widely used by troops of many cultures.

Quote:
Besides poorer fighters could steal maille from the dead. the Bayeux Tapestry shows the dead being stripped of their maille.

So how do you know that the looters were "poor" or were even permitted to keep the salvaged armour? The most expensive looted items were appropriated by the king/commander regardless of who initially found the items.
Chase S-R

PostPosted: Sat 25 Oct, 2008 4:00 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Quote:
These examples are very late in the period (considering the 4000 year history of warfare) when the cost of metal was low enough for it to be more widely distributed. Try and find an example dating to the time period in question

Yes, but you never specified a time period or culture you said,
Quote:
In most cultures only the elite wear any sort of armour at all, regardless of whether it is leather or metal

For this period I think leather armour would fit.

Quote:
So how do you know that the looters were "poor" or were even permitted to keep the salvaged armour? The most expensive looted items were appropriated by the king/commander regardless of who initially found the items.

The Vikings were raiders and could/would steal maille form another warrior, after a duel battle etc. the Franks were especially noted for having large quantities of maille (prime for the stealing). In later periods or under certian captians this was the case, however I have read that viking soldiers got to keep certian items like swords and armour and were then paid a percentage of the total ammased silver etc. which they had to give up.

Nick Trueman

PostPosted: Sun 26 Oct, 2008 1:58 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hi Zoltan

let me have a look.......

Ok, why send you the picture when I can send you the URL with measurements and pictures.
Also discussed is the Balyk Sook Kurgan, Altai, Russia. The helmet was also of lamellar construction. The Balyk Sook Kurgan is a rich Oghuz/Turkic burial.

I have a whole paper in German about the Balyk Sook Kurgan.

Cheers

N

Henrik Zoltan Toth wrote:
Nick Trueman wrote:
Hi guys

Good point Mikael

Cheers

N

Nick,

Thanks,

Zoltán

(I have some pics from Kijev and detailed roman works about some battles with sarmatians in the Krim, also there is the Tactic of Konst. Perf.genetos, all of these are showing and mentioning different kinds of armours, some of them mentions especially leather armours)
Nick Trueman

PostPosted: Sun 26 Oct, 2008 2:00 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

URL might help...sorry about that.

Cheers

Nick

http://www.vikingsna.org/translations/birkaarmour/
Nick Trueman

PostPosted: Sun 26 Oct, 2008 2:14 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

For this period I think leather armour would fit

Hi

Could you give me some idea of how you think this leather armour was constructed? Can you use archaeological pieces or evidence to support your theory?

Lamellar is well known. But a isolated find at Birka does not prove conclusively that it was worn or even known to all Norse peoples.

Cheers

N

Chase S-R wrote:
Quote:
These examples are very late in the period (considering the 4000 year history of warfare) when the cost of metal was low enough for it to be more widely distributed. Try and find an example dating to the time period in question

Yes, but you never specified a time period or culture you said,
Quote:
In most cultures only the elite wear any sort of armour at all, regardless of whether it is leather or metal

For this period I think leather armour would fit.

Quote:

The Vikings were raiders and could/would steal maille form another warrior, after a duel battle etc. the Franks were especially noted for having large quantities of maille (prime for the stealing). In later periods or under certian captians this was the case, however I have read that viking soldiers got to keep certian items like swords and armour and were then paid a percentage of the total ammased silver etc. which they had to give up.
Don Z

PostPosted: Sun 26 Oct, 2008 2:29 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

interesting an amusing topic

i see one of the age old problems of who is willing to go to what extent in allowing certain ideas in reenactment

personally i can't add much to whats been said but to agree that there are problems basing leather armour ideas on enchanted reindeer garments..............out of sagas........

first- most of those sagas were written down long after the events they portray
and at the time they were written they were done so from oral traditions that had been passed form person to person and exaggerated who knows how much.

that said you could take it as existence of leather armour............buggered if i know where you're going to get a good enchantment to stop your arm being snapped the first stray shot you cop......cos the saga doesn't say it was padded does it? I figure if you want to do a literal reading of a translated 1000 year old story recorded from an ambiguous icelandic oral tradition about events in norway you probably have to read it word for word....and get a good enchantment for it.......good luck with that....how's your old icelandic?

the guy down the road from me says he does some good enchantments of protection,.......i'd give you his details but his name changes every week and he lives in a cardboard house covered in plastic bags........he says he wants to get the internet on soon tho........if you do get in touch with him he'll probably do it for some food........i don't think he gets much of that........

but send me the vid of it when you do get broken
i'm sure it will be cringe-worthy

i might even feel some sympathy for you

make sure it's a good arm break tho.............cos the spear hit that gives you a hernia won't be half as fun to watch.....you'll just grunt and go all floppy......and fall over......i'm personally looking forward to flailing....lots of flailing......

i'd try to talk you out of the idea but you seem to have your mind made up in the face of already overwhelming evidence........
so i'll wish you luck and thank you for several pages of amusement and distraction from a very pressing essay i need to finish to hand in tomorrow

ok to be more clear as evidence: if you think taking an obscure reference from
an obscure text, writing about a time many hundred years previous,
and attempting to use a reference about enchanted garments
as a precedence for leather armour is a reasonable thing to do;
who am i to say you're wrong.......you probably won't listen anyway........there is plenty of evidence for that

mate if you really want to do this, don't let a bunch of guys on the interweb who make fairly good sense in their reasoning abilities and with a possible knowledge base that dwarfs yours stop you......you go make it fella, i'm sure you'll look good and feel great when it's done....just don't tell anyone........unless you get injured.........then remember to post the vid......

good....looks like i got to the end of my post without saying anything useful at all Happy

but i was serious about differing ideas about what is acceptable within reenactment circles
things like that won't be surmounted or even necessarily understood over the interweb....

thanks
Z
p.s. please post vids of injuries.........

"war is hell" - unanimous
Nick Trueman

PostPosted: Sun 26 Oct, 2008 5:16 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Jeff A. Arbogast wrote:
Jean-Carle Hudon wrote:

Yes the Vikings had boats and leather no dispute there....The oiled skins, My friend was telling me about that subject today.

No one has said maile is worn directly on the body.

Yes the poor bastards at Stalingrad 1942 know exactly what your talking about there.

The Sammi Lappland peoples are members of the Finno Ugrian tribal system. The Magyars were once also members of this loose tribal confederacy. They broke off and settled in Hungary after a 400 yr slow migration.
The Lapps were not simple people. They traded furs and skins with Norse traders in return for cloth and iron and jewelery.
I really have no comment on Sammi culture clothing....But the Finns who shared the same areas where not skin wearing fur balls..... One female burial is very rich in woolen garments and bronze copper objects. note this reconstruction is based on extant finds.

Again no maile on body contact has been mentioned.

What perfect logic. I think that sometimes people don't give proper credit to the common sense of ancient peoples. We tend to think that we have the answers to everything, and that there's just nothing else to find out if there is no clear evidence of a given topic. In that case, reason, logic and plain old common sense must try to fill in the gaps, as above. Many cultures interacted with each other, through trade or warfare, and many ideas went back and forth, some adopted, some modified, and some discarded. Such is the march of history hand in hand with technology. To make an absolute statement about anything so far distant and so scantily recorded is a bit of a stretch. There are countless things about our ancestors that we simply cannot know, but I personally, evidence or not, have no problem at all believing that leather WAS used widely, on everything from shoes, to padding garments, to cold weather use, to armor, and on and on. And why not? There are passages in the Iliad relating how many layers of leather were on so-and-so's shield, and how a flung spear would penetrate four of five layers of hide, but was stopped by the sixth, etc. And these events (supposedly) took place in the 13th century B.C.! Leather has been with man since he crawled out of the slime, and is versatile and durable enough to be used on a WIDE variety of items, some peaceful, others not. And it was such a common material that the idea that it WAS NOT used for a particular use (even when perfectly suited for it) just seems unreasonable to me.

I give much credit to these peoples...thats why Im willing to find the truth and not speculate.

Cheers

PS reconstruction off a Finish womans clothing and acourtments.

N

Attachment: 39.76 KB
russdress_repro.jpg

Chad Arnow
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

PostPosted: Sun 26 Oct, 2008 5:44 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Don Z,
Your sarcasm is not welcome on this forum. If you can't post something helpful in a positive, professional tone, then please do not post at all.

Thank you.

Happy

ChadA

http://chadarnow.com/
Don Z

PostPosted: Sun 26 Oct, 2008 6:43 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

that's ok Happy

anytime

but apart from any misunderstood irony my point was that most of this many page thread is based around differing ideas about what is acceptable within reenactment

some people reenact what could have been possible
others reenact what has been found or depicted

who am i to say enchantments don't exist
i mean i don't think i've ever seen one, although funny things happen to my logic drives when i'm around my girlfriend and she's wearing a short skirt sometimes......

i am a little disappointed all you saw was that i had executed some scalpel sharp irony and mistook it for something inferior...........

what i will say about the sagas
is that although they lend us very little about the time they depict, particularly about what was used and how it was used
they do lend some idea as the the attitudes about certain things at the time they were written, and how they viewed the time they depicted.

i personally haven't seen or heard tell of a leather armour find that hasn't been made out of some form of hardened leather.

the problem is that a single layer of supple leather is unlikely to lend a greater defence, from either bludgeoning or sharp, than a gambeson made out of multiple layers of fabric or even just stuffed with straw due to the way the fibers will bind against the sharp and the way the padding distributes the impact.

because of the way fabric fibres bind and resist a piercing weapon even if stuffed with, for example, cross laminated straw (i have read that this was used in a primary source somewhere.....memory fails me as to where at this time) , the straw itself would resist the weapon in a similar manner. In order to counteract this the weapon would have to razor sharp. This is unlikely to be so after the first time the weapon is blocked. Any flaw in the sharpness will also mean the progress thru the fabric will cease.

now if someone was wearing even a quilted soft leather garment, it is likely the first layer of leather will split with the initial impact, and even if it is cut i think the leather because of the non-continuous make up of the flexible cell fibres would not resist the force as well. I honestly think it would keep tearing if my experience with thin soft leather is anything to go by.
especially if it is riddled with perforations from the stitching. That is, in essence why i think a soft leather garment would fail as armour. Any stitching would be a perforation, in a way that does not happen on fabric because the fabric is made with holes in it (albeit very tiny but far less harmful in this instance.). All you do by stitching single layer garment together as armour is say "please insert something sharp somewhere between my armpit and my waist along the line of this very conspicuous seem" which may i add was probably more obvious due to the fashion of using contrasting stitch colours on the outside of the garment as a fashion accessory. If we follow this line of thought to a quilted garment, all that happens is you magnify the target area to those diagonal lines all over your body.

Here is the crux of why i think the armour was enchanted.........i'd say it was added because it was unbelievable (even with willing suspension of disbelief needed for fiction to truly have a greater effect than a warm fuzzy glow till you get to sleep) that anyone would make armour out of soft leather and live long enough to be a significant protagonist or antagonist in any story likely to last out the millennium.

now before anyone gets trigger happy in the upper eschelons about sarcasm
what i've used is definitely irony....there is no bitterness and there never was. it was sharp and i understand there are varying views of sarcasm. The other point that i would like to make is that if it did seem to be sarcasm i may have been serious. Particularly about the vids.
and the guy down the road does exist, the council has been trying to get rid of him for years. he's a dead set trooper

anyway
point remains that unless the leather was hardened it would tear along any stitch lines with the first decent amount of force applied
and if it didn't it would be either kangaroo leather which pretty much doesn't tear....but with the disadvantage of not being historically accurate....and yes....sometimes kangaroos are killed on purpose....or it would be too think to allow movement in the garment once stitched together and you would need to build something like lamellar or hoop armour to make it useful. even in simulated combat if someone tripped mid strike or was knocked from behind, if they were attacking with a spear i reckon you'd near be looking at enough force to tear the leather and make all that work almost useless. And for the sheer love of it what about if you had padded it or lined it with fabric? well then you may have just made the leather a moot point. It could give you some added impact distribution and warmth if you lived somewhere where the temperature wasn't going to get about 15 deg C very often. But really you might as well just make it out of fabric because it probably doesn't need as much oil as your maille (and your leather almost would to counteract the constant corrosive abilities of your sweat...it seems to be worse on leather) it will be lighter and more flexible, and will dry out quicker after you soak the inside of it your sweat.

but like i said if those reasons don't compel you to take the easier road for construction......go for it
i hope it works out well and serves you for many years good combat........

thanks
Z

"war is hell" - unanimous

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Viking Leather Padded Garment
Page 7 of 9 Reply to topic
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: