How does a viking round shield look from the back?
Hey,

I'm trying to make my own Viking roundshield, but I dont know how the back must look like to be authentic. It is like the buckler, where only one brace is over the hole? As the Buckler only needs one, because it has only 30cm caliber.
This is why I think the Viking Roundshield must have two braces. It is also a effect with the leverage, when you have only one brace in the middle and 60cm caliber.

Do you have historical evidences?
Hello! As a dedicated viking reenactor I have to say:
It is like buckler, with only one handle running over hole, protected by a central boss.
This is excelent article concerning the topic :http://members.ozemail.com.au/~chrisandpeter/shield/shield.html

my friend with a shield, which is rawhide covered on both sides
http://www.skjaldborg.livinghistory.cz/Foto/A..._VI/17.jpg

hope it helps!
Thank you! This is exactly what I'm searching for!

Edit:

But I think its hard to handle with such a heavy shield with only one brace in the middle, isnt it?
It is not if you make a shield in proper way (it est very light). You have to forgot everything about the strap attached shields. Its very dymamic, you have to use it like a leverage to bind enemys weapon... But you have to have very sturdy boss, because in face to face combat you are tryiing to catch every blow with the boss. Wooden part in this thickness and used kinds of wood is to fragile to use efectively against sword and axes.
I think that this part was used against arrows and javelins, maybe spears - thats why its so light an large
Re: How does a viking round shield look from the back?
Alex Pelkmann wrote:
Hey,

I'm trying to make my own Viking roundshield, but I dont know how the back must look like to be authentic. It is like the buckler, where only one brace is over the hole? As the Buckler only needs one, because it has only 30cm caliber.
This is why I think the Viking Roundshield must have two braces. It is also a effect with the leverage, when you have only one brace in the middle and 60cm caliber.

May I suggest picking up this book:

[ Linked Image ]

It is focused on Anglo-Saxon shield finds but so far as I can tell what it tells us would also apply to "Viking" shields. In essence it does agree with what has been previously posted here, but there is a lot of other information in it about the construction of shields. A very informative read. One of these days when I quit my day job I'm going to add shield making to my repertoire.
Here is another example of the back view. The iron wrap on the cross guard is traditionally a bit earlier than Viking age. So is the edge reinforcing.
[ Linked Image ]
Re: How does a viking round shield look from the back?
Alex Pelkmann wrote:
Hey,

HI, I think you will see that the viking round shield does not have any 'braces' but it has a center 'grip'. The viking shield does not just strap to your arm with a brace, it is a very dynamic weapon that is controlled with a center grip. Here is a link to some videos of viking shield technique research by the german fencing group Hammaborg.

http://www.youtube.com/view_play_list?p=1823CE28E5A3E116
No arm strap?
Interesting. I've read several of Ewart Oakeshott's books and, he said that the shields of this time were worn with an arm strap.

This seems to conflict with the views written on this page.

How do we know wether their shields had, or did not have arm straps?
umm i do not know of any off hand that have an arm strap. that being said a large round should with a center grip i don't think would work very well with one either. you would not be able to move it very well to cover all the areas in a time of need or "punch". notice there is usually no rim, thus a sword/axe can or will get stuck in the shields edging... do you really want it that close to u when that happens? hehehe you can't jsut call hold while you unstrap it.

i highly recommend the Anglo Saxon shield book. also, check out Anglo Saxon Weapons and Warfare.
Re: No arm strap?
Mike West wrote:
Interesting. I've read several of Ewart Oakeshott's books and, he said that the shields of this time were worn with an arm strap.

I'll look up the relevant paragraphs tonight if I have the chance, I don't exactly remember all the evidence, just the result...
Re: No arm strap?
I don't think we know if they had arm straps. I have sparred with and without an armstrap and there are benefits to both. I believe the Sutton Hoo shield (pre Viking Age) had evidence of an armstrap. Most shield finds are too decomposed to know if they had one or not.

Mike West wrote:

Here's a picture taken from an 11th century Anglo-Saxon manuscript that clearly shows the shields are held in the hand, and not strapped to the arm.

Attachment: 49.07 KB
BattleDetail.jpg

While the viking shields dont have armstaps, they do have SHOULDER straps, or guiges, so they can be carried on the back, or hung on the shoulder.
Several different configurations where used, but if you plan on carrying or using the shield for longer periods of time the guige is a must.
Just new

http://www.kongensborge.dk/index_uk.php?pageid=seneste_nyt_uk

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: