Antiquing Stainless...?
Hi all. I've been experimanting with antiquing a few pieces from my collection after reading Sean Flynt's article on the subject. Aside from surface treaments like cold bluing, I was wondering if anybody knew of some ways to antique stainless steel. Thanks.

-JM
Getting it very hot (i.e. in a charcoal fire, or with a blowtorch) can discolor the surface into the blue/black range, usually with some mottling. It is fairly superficial, but could be the basis for further treatments.
I have moved this topic to the Off-topic Talk forum.

Please note the description for this forum:

"Discussions of general history and other miscellaneous topics relating to arms and armour that do not specifically fit our other forums"

Thank you.
I've set pieces on an electric stove burner and let the heat discolor it. A propane torch works too. Just be careful.
You would also be damaging the heat treatment effects, losing the temper of the blade.

You could obtain this effect by placing it in an oven at a given temperature (any color chart for heat treatment will tell the right temp in fahreneit)

I obtained a deep blue simply by carburizing in into steel the classical way, i.e. several hours in a bed of fine charcoal powder, at least 24 in my case.

It is in an annealed state now though, it will need a complete heat treatment cycle to get into a springy state..

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: