Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Best Hiking/Hunting Knife? Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next 
Matthew D G

Reading list: 2 books

PostPosted: Wed 08 Oct, 2008 7:31 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

The finger hole doesn't feel that bad, I have big hands and thick fingers and they fit just fine. lol
"I thought what I'd do was, I'd pretend to be one of those deaf-mutes."
Sean Flynt

Reading list: 13 books

Spotlight topics: 7

PostPosted: Wed 08 Oct, 2008 7:43 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I'm a big fan of the British MOD-4 knife. I have an older version, with wood scales, and it's a very impressive knife. Takes and holds a great edge, .25" thick blade, welded guard. I can't imagine how one could damage this knife in even exceptionally hard use. It's sharp enough to do fine cutting but it's heavy and thick enough to effortlessly trim small branches, split wood, etc. The trade-off is weight, of course. The only thing I don't like about this knife is the button strap at the top of the sheath. It's in a ridiculous location, allowing the knife to rise out of the sheath all the way up to that level (stopped by the guard). I moved the strap down to the level of the sheath's mouth. If I were going to use this in wilderness hiking/survival situations I'd replace the strap with a strip of Velcro or get a synthetic fabric sheath and make good use of the lanyard hole either way.

http://smkw.com/webapp/eCommerce/product.jsp?...KU=LI71680

Attachment: 23.96 KB
LI71680.jpg

-Sean

Author of the Little Hammer novel

https://www.amazon.com/Little-Hammer-Sean-Flynt/dp/B08XN7HZ82/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=little+hammer+book&qid=1627482034&sr=8-1
Douglas S

PostPosted: Thu 09 Oct, 2008 3:49 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I suggest the Tom Brown Tracker Knife.
http://www.tombrowntracker.com/
Ted Parolari

PostPosted: Thu 09 Oct, 2008 8:15 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

The Tracker is a cool knife! I saw it the first time in a movie called "The Hunted" with Tommy Lee Jones. the character he played was a lot like Tom Brown. And this was the knife that was used throughout the movie.

Here is a better link for this knife. This a really super nice site and there are a large number of knives to be found here!

http://www.topsknives.com/product_info.php?cP...cts_id=155

The only problem I have with most of these knives that have been recommended so far, is that they are all quite expensive and I personally would have a hard time is taking them out into the wilderness and beating the crap out of them. Some of the recommendations here are just to nice to take out!
G Ezell
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Thu 09 Oct, 2008 10:05 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Anyone have experience with the Cold Steel Trailmaster? They can be found for a decent price, and Cold Steel does have a pretty good rep with their knives (maybe not their swords, but the knives seem ok). Another company to check out would be Ontario Knifeworks, they have a few good, affordable big knives, last time I looked.

Kukri's can usually be gotten for a good price, and they excel at chopping.
Sa'ar Nudel

PostPosted: Fri 10 Oct, 2008 1:51 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

The British MOD-4 is an excellent tool for extreme situations - it was designed, after all, for building shelters in the arctic zone as well as the tropics. I find two major faults in its design - blade profile is too steep and the point is shallow. This make the knife good for chopping, prying and digging and less of a pure cutter. The handle is also somewhat crude, but an owner can shape it to its own taste, as the slabs offer plenty of material to sand off. The oldest model, made by Wilkinson, had a flat ground blade and a more ergonomical handle made of oiled hardwwod.
For the same price (appr.) I would have chosen Ontario's RAT-7 or RTAK (7" and 10" blades respectfully).

Cold Steel's Trailmaster is a very good knife for those who like rubber grips (I don't) and is an expencive knife - you can go custom at its retail price.

I prefer to carry seperate tools for seperate tasks. A short knife will do most of the chores, is much easy to handle and manipulate, and is safer. The trade off for the weight of one huge bowie is a short bladed knife, a hatchet and a folding saw.

Curator of Beit Ussishkin, regional nature & history museum, Upper Galilee.
Bennison N

PostPosted: Sat 11 Oct, 2008 11:45 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I vote for Sa'er's Dustar Arad 1...

I had one shown to me once (moral of the story - don't show off to really hot Israeli Army Tank-girls...) when I was in the Army, and remember being very impressed. I bought one from the Tank-girl, now one of my best buddies, when she and her husband immigrated to NZ around Dec 2006.

I sill have my Dustar Model One Arad, I'm looking at it right now, and it's awesome. It doesn't see that much use, but since I got it I've caught and eaten three Captain Cooker pigs with it's help. And they're big, tough and ugly, so a stalker would be no problem...

Here's the Du Star site homepage:

http://www.dustar-knife.com/HTMLs/home.aspx?BSS110=12304

"Never give a sword to a man who can't dance" - Confucius

अजयखड्गधारी
James R.Fox

PostPosted: Mon 13 Oct, 2008 1:37 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Sirs- If you are interested in the puukko or leukku knives, try www.puukkoknife.com. The knive luke great (I've never tried one0 and the prices very reasonable
Ja68ms
Chris Artman

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Mon 13 Oct, 2008 1:41 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

All great choices, much appreciated.

I didn't have too much time to spend on this purchase (some of the choices were more difficult to order)

I ordered 2 knives, both Tops Knives (these are likely overpriced for the performance, but I just hope they aren;t bad purchases. I did not order these knives direct, I purchased them from a discounting dealer.

http://www.topsknives.com/product_info.php?cP...ucts_id=13

I also ended up getting:

http://www.topsknives.com/product_info.php?cP...ucts_id=21

The discounted prices were less. Prob overpriced even discounted, but they seemed nice enough. One for more heavy duty, one smaller for use while trail running....

Last edited by Chris Artman on Mon 13 Oct, 2008 7:20 pm; edited 1 time in total
Douglas S

PostPosted: Mon 13 Oct, 2008 3:25 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Do you really need a "hunting knife"? Are you going hunting? I have skinned one deer and a bunch of rabbits. What I would use next time I have the chance is a Wyoming Knife, just to clean out the guts before taking home the kill.
Are you looking for a utility knife? I'd go with a good conservative Bowie design by a good company, like K-Bar USMC knife.
What I offered was really a survival knife, which should be able to all of that plus more. Happy
Chris Artman

PostPosted: Mon 13 Oct, 2008 7:19 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Yes, the Tom Brown tracking knife is very nice... they even offer a damascus version of that knife which is very impressive...
Glen A Cleeton

PostPosted: Mon 13 Oct, 2008 8:07 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Quote:
Here's the Du Star site homepage:

So, basically a less expensive and more available Randall 14. I could live with that. Knives of any kind are really a lot more subjective than swords. I have stuff ranging from the Gerber BMF (no sawback) to much more useful and lighter knives for knife tasks. I guess there is something to be said for the philosophy of just carry the big knife. Something like the Du Star probably fits the big knife role as well as any. Likely a better sheath with it than the BMF as well. That combination of scabbard and knife needs an assistant to carry it for you.

This one linked
http://www.topsknives.com/product_info.php?cP...ucts_id=21

Seems pretty heavy for its size 22oz. that is a bit tanky for a 12" knife but I have a De Leon about that size that is likely not much lighter and I like it a lot. Two pounds for the other? That seems excessive too but as mentioned, knives are pretty subjective.

Here is most of my fixed blade crew (and a couple of others) but I have a boot, bird and trout size assortment that see a lot more use. One four inch drop point fixed blade I can pocket including its kydex pancake and the whole package is only about three eigths of an inch thick. The Sirupati and knife next to it on the left ar not mine but also blades with nice potential

Cheers

GC
Fredrik Hörnell

PostPosted: Sun 22 Mar, 2009 1:06 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

General camping and outdoor/woodsman knife:
J.Peltonens Finnish Army/Ranger SissPukku M95 knife.

US production oldschool blades, becouse i don´t own a Randall:
Pilot Survival Knife and Classic USMC Ka-Bar.
Ian Hutchison

PostPosted: Sun 22 Mar, 2009 1:34 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I carry this Ahti "Räme" just about everywhere I go. It would make a great hiking/bush craft knife.

http://www.ragweedforge.com/AhtiCatalog.html

Carbon steel so can be used with a fire striker. Takes and holds an edge wonderfully. As Ragnar says: It's all the knife you need with nothing extra. It's small enough to not be a nuisance when worn on your belt or stored in your pack, I can just cover it with a fully outstretched hand.
It's also cheap enough at $40, that should I somehow lose/damage it, it wouldn't be a disaster (i.e. when canoeing, crossing water).

I might also try out the "Korpi".

'We are told that the pen is mightier than the sword, but I know which of these weapons I would choose.' - Adrian Carton de Wiart
Zach Gordon

PostPosted: Tue 02 Feb, 2010 11:22 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Dudes sorry to resurect an old thread, but i was just looking around for this same thing.
I ended up going to buy a Gerber LMF II ASEK, Kabar (USMC style) desert with kydex sheath, and a Glock 78 field knife. And thats why I wanted to bring this thread....For advice.
I already bought the Glock, and am thrilled. This knife was only $20!!!!!!!!!!!! So if it breaks or I loose it I wont care. I havent gotten it from the store yet but everyone should check it out.
http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/product_in...s_id/73405 Its an Austrian Army issue.
Z
Ken Speed

PostPosted: Wed 03 Feb, 2010 10:30 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I have to agree with Jeroen for sheer all around utility AS A KNIFE you'll be hard pressed to get a better knife than the Swedish and Finnish styled knives. I have several and I'm impressed with them all, I have a Roselli hunter that takes an edge like no other knife I've ever owned. There is a knife by EKA of Sweden , their model W 1,1 which is a very good knife and...deceptive somehow. It acts like a much bigger knife than it appears to be, it is both a good cutter and a handy chopper, it has a well designed and comfortable grip with a lanyard hole which I think is important when using a knife for chopping. I was sort of disinclined to buy it because I don't generally like stainless steel knives but this one seems to be an exception to the rule.

Honestly, if you're planning on chopping something, bring a hatchet or an axe. If you're planning on killing something, bring a gun. Knives are for cutting.

Edit: The EKA model number is model 11

Last edited by Ken Speed on Wed 03 Feb, 2010 10:44 am; edited 1 time in total
Pauli Vennervirta

PostPosted: Wed 03 Feb, 2010 11:11 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

These are mine. My favourite for allround use is the semi-custom Roselli, bottom left, a small leuku blade with "Hunter" handle.
Zach Gordon

PostPosted: Tue 02 Mar, 2010 9:09 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Just thought id update with my thoughts on the glock, it feals like a prybar. Its nice, i like it. Does anyone have any thoughts on the Becker BK-2 or a Mora knife? I'm thinking about adding those two to my list, but I was also thinking should I spend $250 getting 5 decent knives...or $250 buying ONE good knife? Pros for multiples, I can loose and use without caring. Pros for one, its better quality.
Help?
Thnx
Z
Myles Mulkey

PostPosted: Tue 02 Mar, 2010 9:57 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I know puukos and other nordic knives have been mentioned several times, but I really have to say that that's what I prefer. A good Scandi-grind knife can really save the day sometimes.
Hadrian Coffin
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Tue 02 Mar, 2010 11:42 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Quote:
Just thought id update with my thoughts on the glock, it feals like a prybar. Its nice, i like it. Does anyone have any thoughts on the Becker BK-2 or a Mora knife? I'm thinking about adding those two to my list, but I was also thinking should I spend $250 getting 5 decent knives...or $250 buying ONE good knife? Pros for multiples, I can loose and use without caring. Pros for one, its better quality.
Help?
Thnx
Z

Hello,
For swords and daggers, even kitchen knives, I would advise the later. A good piece of equipment is worth a thousand cheap pieces. However, with utility/camping/hunting/tactical knives, I actually suggest something in the middle. For a while I carried a $200 folding knife every day, then one day I lost it. As I lost and damaged more knives... I came to realize that (occasionally) quantity is preferable to quality. I now carry a ~$60 folding knife, if I loose or break it it isn't as big of a deal. If you are just looking for something to hang on your wall buy the prettiest piece you can afford, but if you are looking for something for daily use be sure its something you can afford to loose. I would not suggest buying something something super cheap (i.e. the $1 walmart knives), but something along the lines of what you have been mentioning is the way I'd go.
Cheers,
Hadrian

Historia magistra vitae est

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Best Hiking/Hunting Knife?
Page 2 of 3 Reply to topic
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: