Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Question about Swedish M1893 cavalry sword. Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Konstantin Tsvetkov

PostPosted: Mon 11 Aug, 2008 12:16 pm    Post subject: Question about Swedish M1893 cavalry sword.         Reply with quote

Hello,

If somebody could share pictures of M1893 Swedish cavalry sword and tell me what was the difference between the officer's and the trooper's pattern, it would be much appreciated.

Konstantin.
Shahril Dzulkifli

PostPosted: Mon 15 Sep, 2008 2:51 pm    Post subject: Question about Swedish M1893 cavalry sword.         Reply with quote

Konstantin,
It's quite difficult to find a photo of a Swedish M1893 cavalry sword, either officer's or trooper's, these days.
But I can give you detailed pictures of that sword if you like.
Glen A Cleeton

PostPosted: Mon 15 Sep, 2008 7:20 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Bjorn's old sword pages have a very brief paragraph and illustration.

http://bjorn.foxtail.nu/h_svenska_armen.htm

Very much the inspiration for the Patton sword of 1913 it seems. Similar swords across Europe were becoming a common theme at the end of the 19th century.

Cheers

GC
Kjell Magnusson

PostPosted: Fri 19 Sep, 2008 7:48 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

On the right in these pictures is a pair of trooper's m/1893, with the original shiny scabbard and the blackened one adopted in 1912. You should also be able to find plenty of pictures of these swords at http://www.auktionsverket.se/ and http://www.probusauktioner.se/, as these swords are quite common at the antique arms auctions here in Stockholm.

As for the differences, here's some data from Olof P. Berg's books on Swedish army swords:

The blade on the trooper's model is 95cm long, 3,4cm wide at it's widest, and has a single groove. The hilt is brass.

Officer's have two blade variants, one around 92cm long and a bit under 3cm wide, the other 80cm long and 2,1cm wide. In both cases the blade has two grooves. Guards are gilt brass with some ornamentation.

There are also two NCO variants, both with the long variant of the officer's blade. Sergeants get plain brass guards like the troopers, "fanjunkare" get gilt brass like the officers.

From what I can recall, the grips are black painted wood in all cases, with some twisted wire added for all but the troopers.

Attachment: 120.37 KB
[ Download ]

Attachment: 88.79 KB
[ Download ]
Shahril Dzulkifli

PostPosted: Sun 21 Sep, 2008 10:23 pm    Post subject: Question about Swedish M1893 cavalry sword.         Reply with quote

Konstantin,
If you go to this site you will find the sword that you're looking for.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Rare-Swedish-Cavalry-Offi...dZViewItem
Konstantin Tsvetkov

PostPosted: Tue 23 Sep, 2008 12:30 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thank you very much for your help, I mean all of you, guys.

Sorry, couldn't thank you before due to my computer problem (than is still there).

Shahril, thank you for that link, very good detailed pictures of an officer's sword and quite shocking discover of it's possible value.

Kjell, I happened to visit the Army museum in Stockholm after posting this message, but still, thank you for the links. The dealers in the center of the city ask 6000 sek or more for only a trooper sword. I believe, I can save a lot of money if I use links you posted. By the way, a Kjell Magnusson is a chief of technical department in magistrat of the city of Porvoo (Borga) here in Finland.

Thanks again.

Konstantin.
Shahril Dzulkifli

PostPosted: Mon 29 Sep, 2008 11:40 pm    Post subject: Question about Swedish M1893 cavalry sword.         Reply with quote

To me the Swedish M1893 cavalry sword resembles the 1824 Austrian Cavalry Pallasch.

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Question about Swedish M1893 cavalry sword.
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic