Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Fashionable Civilian Use of Armour Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Bob Uhl

PostPosted: Wed 14 Apr, 2004 8:12 pm    Post subject: Fashionable Civilian Use of Armour         Reply with quote

I know that in the 16th century it became pretty common to wear gorgets as fashion accessories (at least in portraits; I'm not certain how common it was outside that context); what I'm wondering is a) when & where that particular trend started and ended and b) if similar armour-as-fashion trends ever occurred. Off the top of my head I cannot seem to think of any--in fact it seems to me that in most cases armour reflected civilian trends rather than the reverse.

Still, can anyone in the group give any information on either of my queries? Thanks much.

I did search for civilian fashion armour and that kind of thing, but to no avail. Even the mighty Google came up dry.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Joe L.

PostPosted: Wed 14 Apr, 2004 9:34 pm    Post subject: Armor or armour as fashiom         Reply with quote

The only ones that I know of in previous ages were brigandine (a doublet lined with plates or scale showing external rivet heads or studs), and a helmet from the English civil war era that looked like a brimmed hat.
Joe L.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Brian M

PostPosted: Wed 14 Apr, 2004 11:01 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I think the concept was actually quite common and became more so. A few examples off the top of my head:
--"Puffed and Slashed" armor made to mimic the current flamboyant style of clothing.
--Sabotons (the armored feet) often followed the current style of footwear.
--Front-closing breastplates made to mimic the look of a doublet, buttons and all, and worn alone (ie not as part of a suit of armor) with civilian dress.

I'm sure there's a lot more.

Brian M
Allen W

PostPosted: Thu 15 Apr, 2004 4:39 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

The only civilian use of armour that I have heard of relates to dueling i.e mail gauntlets, concealed byrnies, concealed cuirasses shaped and painted to pass as the wearers flesh. This last may be a contemporary myth to illustrate the unsporting lengths one should anticipate from one's opponent.
Scott Bubar

PostPosted: Thu 15 Apr, 2004 6:36 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I may be wrong, but it seems to me the gorgets were worn by military officers or aristocrats with a military function.

Although they did become a trade item with the North American Indians.

Fashion armour was quite common, but was generally worn by those with some sort of military or para-military claim. I'd have a hard time thinking of purely civilian use other than the sort of concealed wear already mentioned.
Felix Wang

Reading list: 17 books

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Thu 15 Apr, 2004 7:52 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Exactly. The gorget was not in itself a fashion statement, it was a mark of high rank - which is why you see it included in so many portraits. My gut feeling is that they disappeared in the mid-18th century, although I have no reference on this date.

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Fashionable Civilian Use of Armour
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic