Here is a newly published book about Kampffechten :arrow:

KNIGHTLY DUELING
The Fighting Arts of German Chivalry

by Jeffrey Hull
with Monika Maziarz
and Grzegorz Zabinski

http://www.paladin-press.com/product/1017/47
Cool Jeff.

Is the translated material from Doebringer, von Danzig, Talhoffer and Lignitzer the entirety of their manuals, or just certain parts?
Congratulations Jeffrey - this sounds very interesting.

All the best,

Christian
Looks great -- if the reviews are favorable I will grab a copy.

M.
Aren't you same fellow who wrote all those excellent ARMA essays like Mertin Siber’s Longsword Fight-Lore of 1491 AD?

I am definately buying your book.
this looks fantastic! thanks for posting!
Great to see when somebody whose name I recognize gets something new published.

Amazon reviews look good for the work so far.
The book talks about a type of equestrian mounted combat that the German Ritter used called Roszfechten (literally horsefighting). I've never heard or read about anything like this until now. Have any of you heard of Roszfechten? Apparently this is the first modern publication documenting it.

Attachment: 102.71 KB
1017_1219_large.jpg

Ulrich Von Lichtenstein mentioned 7 types of horse mounted contests (styles of jousts) in his autobiography. Some of them were still considered unknown when recent authors commented on his material. (It may be questionable in terms of exaggerating his own achievements, but the background is considered authentic and based on real events anyway.)
Allen Foster wrote:
The book talks about a type of equestrian mounted combat that the German Ritter used called Roszfechten (literally horsefighting).

Rossfechten is detailed in many of the surviving German fencing treatises. As far as modern publications, Christian Tobler's first book Secrets of Medieval German Swordsmanship has a section on it based on the writings of Sigmund Ringeck. Mark Rector's translation of Talhoffer, Medieval Combat, has a very small section on it (though, like much of Talhoffer, it isn't really a "how to" manual). I can't think of any other major publications from the German sources dealing with the subject, though there was an article in Western Martial Arts Illustrated dealing with it.

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: