Messer & Buckler
I've never heard of this combination, but it sounds like wicked sparring fun.

The image below is from a German religious painting of the late 15th/early 16th c. Might be meant to depict Near Eastern arms, but most of these paintings stick to known European varieties of the day. I've never seen a messer grip like this one, though.

Attachment: 66.46 KB
messerbuckler.jpg

Sean, I've seen knife hilts similar to this one a lot. The European bird's-head grip was very popular well into the 18th century, maybe even the 19th, too. Never seen it in combination with a small buckler before, though. Cool (and yes, I also like the messer/buckler combination idea).
Hi Sean,

Talhoffer, in at least two manuscripts, shows sword and messer used interchangeably with the buckler. Have a gander at this portion of the 1459 Thott Codex: http://flaez.ch/talhoffer/teil7.html

Best,

CHT
I've seen metal bird heads, especially on later hangers, but not wood. But then, on closer inspection, I see what looks like a pommel plate on this weapon. That makes much more sense to me, as many large knives of the period had a somewhat boot-shaped grip with pommel plate. I think we may be viewing this weapon more from the pommel end rather than in full profile.

The more I think about it the more I like this combo. The close quarters of messer fighting seems to be especially dangerous for the off hand, which I assume is why it's sometimes shown held behind the back. A buckler wouldn't allow extensive grappling, but it might prevent coming to grips in the first place.
Christian Henry Tobler wrote:
Hi Sean,

Talhoffer, in at least two manuscripts, shows sword and messer used interchangeably with the buckler. Have a gander at this portion of the 1459 Thott Codex: http://flaez.ch/talhoffer/teil7.html

Best,

CHT

A perfect match for what we see in the painting! Thanks, Christian! I forgot about the other incarnations of Talhoffer.

Attachment: 97.25 KB
talhof.jpg

The messer in the painting reminds me of nothing so much as a Khyber knife, which I love in spite of my arms & armour Euro-centrism. :D

Attachment: 68.19 KB
download-1.jpg

Sean Flynt wrote:
The messer in the painting reminds me of nothing so much as a Khyber knife, which I love in spite of my arms & armour Euro-centrism. :D

Sort of reminds me of a German rugger or bauernwehr/hauswehr, in a way...
Jeremiah Swanger wrote:
Sean Flynt wrote:

Sort of reminds me of a German rugger or bauernwehr/hauswehr, in a way...

Yes, it is very rugger-ish--like the love child of a rugger and one these medium-size messer.

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: