Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 17, 18, 19, 20, 21  Next

Silver Hoard found in Denmark
Lots of bits and coins. Metal dectorists found them in a field called in archeologist and they have found a hoard of silver. LOts of coins from far flung places and silver decorative pieces and bits.

Facebook post
Re: Silver Hoard found in Denmark
Craig Johnson wrote:
Lots of bits and coins. Metal dectorists found them in a field called in archeologist and they have found a hoard of silver. LOts of coins from far flung places and silver decorative pieces and bits.

Facebook post

Very cool. This type of find makes me wonder how many of these discoveries happen and are never reported.
Another heavy cavalry sword from early XIXth century found in Balearic islands. Dunno if French or Spanish, as both are quite similar and the restoration on the other 11 swords found earlier in the area in 2019 is still going on...

All hail Guillem the first of Majorca!!! :lol:

https://www.diariodeibiza.es/formentera-hoy/2020/07/02/aparece-espada-costa-calo/1152967.html?fbclid=IwAR3AyHIEf-xIPs5FIx_hH3YTzJQdHl_mwbbaeXBHhZ6ThBxCT31-HC1r0rg
A nice article about the swords found last year:

https://www.diariodeibiza.es/cultura/2019/09/18/11-espadas-traves-rayos-x/1092320.html
A detectorist recently found a bronze age hoard in Scotland near Peebles. Among other artifacts the hoard contained a sword in it's scabbard. Really looking forward to more publications on this find. Very exciting.

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-scotland-south-scotland-53714864
A well preserved 10th century sword was recently found in lake Lednica in Poland. Apparently there are remnants of a leather covered scabbard too. From the pictures it almost looks like there is a leather covering that extended up over the cross. Could just be some remaining mud to be cleaned off. Hopefully there will be a more detailed report after someone has been able to clean it and perform some analysis on the preserved materials.

https://www.thefirstnews.com/article/rare-medieval-sword-and-artefacts-from-first-piast-dynasty-found-fully-intact-at-bottom-of-lake-14787
Henge find in Portugal
This is interesting a timber henge of pretty good size and detail, in a part of Europe that they had not been found in. One wonders how many of these would have been seen in the landscape at their height of use.

Portuguese Henge find
That is interesting. I find it really interesting with the similarities between henges or at least enclosure shaped sites with causeway approaches, to wonder how much cultural communication/interaction there was between peoples at this time, whether between regions in Britain or the rest of Europe. Or whether it was that people migrating took traditions and beliefs with them as they spread rather than actual communication between regions. Or a bit of both. I saw a really interesting programme before on the DNA analysis of stone age skeletons of neolithic Britons, showing their migration from the Mediterranean and before that regions like Anatolia, westwards to Britain.

I always found visiting places like Skara Brae and Stonehenge and the monolithic sites in Brittany quite awesome, even more so in a way than places like Mycenae or Knossos, because you think how these people clawed their way from thousands of years of subsistence living to have the stability and food reserves/production capability to even think about producing these sites with primitive tools.
Our limited knowledge
Daniel Parry wrote:
That is interesting. I find it really interesting with the similarities between henges or at least enclosure shaped sites with causeway approaches, to wonder how much cultural communication/interaction there was between peoples at this time, whether between regions in Britain or the rest of Europe. Or whether it was that people migrating took traditions and beliefs with them as they spread rather than actual communication between regions. Or a bit of both. I saw a really interesting programme before on the DNA analysis of stone age skeletons of neolithic Britons, showing their migration from the Mediterranean and before that regions like Anatolia, westwards to Britain.

I always found visiting places like Skara Brae and Stonehenge and the monolithic sites in Brittany quite awesome, even more so in a way than places like Mycenae or Knossos, because you think how these people clawed their way from thousands of years of subsistence living to have the stability and food reserves/production capability to even think about producing these sites with primitive tools.

Could not agree more Daniel, the epic nature of these remnants from the past must have been a major focus of their lives and with the information we are gaining from such sources as DNA and radar surveys its kind of amazing in ways we could not have even supposed 20 or 30 years ago.
New Viking Sword found
New viking sword found in a grave with other weapons in Norway. Very cool :-) Lets hope the surviving remains allow us some detail after conservation.

New Viking Sword found.
After two years of careful excavation in the laboratory, a new exciting armour find from the battlefield in Kalkriese has finally been published: A complete lorica segmentata of the Kalkriese type, making it the oldest segmentata to date.
http://www.thehistoryblog.com/archives/59648
That's a neat report, though I'm not sure I agree with the sentiment here:

Quote:

Iron plate armour was introduced by Augustus as an improvement on chain mail. It was relatively light (around 17 pounds) and because the plates were tied together with leather cords, they were much more flexible than chain mail.

...I think I've read or listened to a few debates, some of them here, where the mail vs. lorica segmentata issue was addressed. I imagine both had their advantages and disadvantages, but I wholly doubt that lorica segmentata was MORE flexible than mail. In some regards, the entire point of the plate is to not be all that flexible. :D

It's a minor nitpick, but if your blog is focused on the history and use of historical items, being technically accurate is a good idea.
One thing I do not doubt is that the 'segmentata, laminata, whatever' was cheaper and faster to produce than a mail shirt. It has been suggested that the legionaries themselves did a lot of the work.
Michael Beeching wrote:
That's a neat report, though I'm not sure I agree with the sentiment here:

Quote:

Iron plate armour was introduced by Augustus as an improvement on chain mail. It was relatively light (around 17 pounds) and because the plates were tied together with leather cords, they were much more flexible than chain mail.

...I think I've read or listened to a few debates, some of them here, where the mail vs. lorica segmentata issue was addressed. I imagine both had their advantages and disadvantages, but I wholly doubt that lorica segmentata was MORE flexible than mail. In some regards, the entire point of the plate is to not be all that flexible. :D

It's a minor nitpick, but if your blog is focused on the history and use of historical items, being technically accurate is a good idea.

The whole point of segmentata was to develop metal armour that was cheaper and faster to produce than the alternatives. It was the Roman equivalent of munitions armour. There isn't a single depiction in any time period of an officer or NCO wearing it. Those with the means preferred mail or scale or musculata. When Diocletian reformed the military and took over the armour fabricae, he got rid of segmentata and focused on standardizing and streamlining the production of mail. Even though it was slower and more expensive to produce, it was considered the superior choice. It is pretty obvious when you think about it. Segmentata saw use for around three hundred years. Mail saw continuous use for around two thousand years in virtually every metal-using culture on the planet and was the preferred type of armour even when segmentata was in use.

This might be worth reading
http://myArmoury.com/talk/viewtopic.php?t=26369
Northern steppe grave find
Interesting grave find with weapons. If the DNA pans out it would be interesting to know how the group is related. Also Axes, knives and a dagger.

Ancient Siberian grave holds 'warrior woman' and huge weapons stash

Craig
Interesting find. I saw quite a good documentary recently about a Viking woman found with weaponry in her grave and discussion (which went a bit too far in conjecture in my opinion) as to whether there were 'warrior women' in Viking society.

I think it's always tricky as to whether high status women buried with weapons meant they used the weapons or whether it was a recognition of power and wealth: a widow of a king or a daughter of a ruler who was the only child who held governance power and was therefore buried with the objects associated with someone who held that power normally, who would have been a man hence the weapons.

I think, though someone may correct me, that female pharaohs or regents in ancient Egypt may have worn artificial ceremonial beards for official occasions as a symbol that they held a man's power.

There is certainly evidence that noble women in Japan were trained to a degree in martial arts for defence of the home and participated in siege defences.

I am sure it is possible. I remember my younger days when I played a lot of competitive snooker and pool and one of the teams we were always a bit nervous of in the league was the women's team from one of the clubs in the tougher end of London. You would not want to get into a fight with those ladies. We always won the match but you had to be careful not to offend !

Again it's interesting how new finds add to or alter the corpus of knowledge.
https://digitaleditions.telegraph.co.uk/data/372/reader/reader.html?#!preferred/0/package/372/pub/372/page/54/article/88554

Looks like a nice sword. This is about a couple of miles from where I live. Where I am, the village of Cookham, was one of the main fords across the Thames going west before the bridge at Maidenhead was built in the middle ages. There has been stone age, Roman, Iron age and Saxon stuff found.

There is a Saxon burial mound apparently on the golf course next to our house about 150 yards from the bottom of the garden but I have not identified exactly where exactly. Apparently one of the oldest stone age axes found in Europe was found in Cookham, though don't know any more than that. Cookham certainly has some vintage, as the Bel and Dragon pub on the high street opened I think in 1417 and has been serving beer ever since in the same building. Interesting to think when I go in there that when it opened the victory at the Battle of Agincourt was recent news.

Bernard Cornwell made Cookham the location for his character Utred's manor by the river.
Bronze Age Sword Find

Very nice bronze age sword find. Pretty incredible patina on the hilt. These swords are interesting and I am not sure I agree that a few bubbles in the casting dictate it was ceremonial.

Craig

PS Daniel if I ever am able to get back over to the UK (fingers crossed) I will try to visit the area sounds very interesting and what could be better than a beer in a pub opened in 1417 and have some Utred connection :-)
Hopefully a good find.
Hopefully this is a solid find. It definitely could happen with an anaerobic environment in silt and mud. It makes me a bit nervous seeing the red rust on the sword blade in the pic. It maybe a piece of the excavators equipment I suppose but certainly seems to imply its the soldiers blade.
[ Linked Image ]
Medieval Soldier FInd in Lake
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 17, 18, 19, 20, 21  Next

Page 18 of 21

Jump to: