Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21  Next

Ian Hutchison wrote:
It is pretty sobering to realize that the proposed idea made it through the review process and out into academic literature...

This is what happens when you don't babysit arts grads :)
Hoard of parts of a hundred Viking swords found in Estonia, including mostly type H, also types V and E:
https://www.ibtimes.sg/archaeologists-unearth-100-viking-swords-northern-estonia-32702
http://www.baltic-course.com/eng/baltic_news/...p;output=d

One pay-walled article includes the following image that seems to match the description of many parts of type H swords:[ Linked Image ]

Most English articles are running with the following image for some reason, often without disclosing that it comes from a different find of later medieval date, from Läänemaa:
[ Linked Image ]
Excellent find in Norway
Excellent find in Norway using ground radar, ship burial in Edoy.
Post on FB

Article in Norwegian

[ Linked Image ]

Craig
above ship burrial
Wow - the LOA to Beam ratio looks wicked, more like a kayak ...
Roman Mail Found
This is quite interesting a couple of elements of Roman Mail armor has been found under a fallen wall in a fort in Bulgaria. Here is link to article with images.

While they are in pretty bad shape they are impressive and seem to be mail over a leather base. This is a great find for those interested in this style of armor.

[ Linked Image ]
Wow Bronze shield parts
This is spectacular. I do not think we have posted on this prior but its pretty amazing work.

shield-found-in-pocklington-is-one-of-most-important-ancient-finds-this-millennium-1-10137418?fbclid=IwAR0aoWeSr6peVDBkpUrVMYtX8Dtb18HbE5smip_4knkZ_AmiitTgl3TIIKM" target="_blank" class="postlink">Bronze shield in chariot grave.

[ Linked Image ][/url]
Re: Roman Mail Found
Craig Johnson wrote:
This is quite interesting a couple of elements of Roman Mail armor has been found under a fallen wall in a fort in Bulgaria. Here is link to article with images.

While they are in pretty bad shape they are impressive and seem to be mail over a leather base. This is a great find for those interested in this style of armor.

[ Linked Image ]

While a very interesting find of late roman armour..this article seems to me to be a bit of a mis-translation. It keeps referring to "mail" attached to leather. But if you read more..it's actually referring to "rectangular iron plates' attached to a leather undergarment in some way. To me, this is not mail in the normal sense, but something else. ? I suspect there's been a error in translation from the original language of the report into English ? What do others think ?
I think you're right. Pictures like this:

[ Chainmail-Armor-Late-Antiquity-Deultum-Bulgaria-8.jpg?resize=640%2C328" target="_blank" title="Click to view image in new window">Linked Image ]

And this:

[ Linked Image ]

Appear to be hooped, or perhaps lamellar, armour rather than mail.
We are caught in a common trap. This is a piece written by a journalist, not a formal report by an archaeologist, archaeometallagist or whatever. It is therefore frustratingly lacking in the sort of information people here would be looking for.

The pictures seem to focuss on some quite large pieces, which I'd agree look like tubular arm armour and I'd possibly a segmented shoulder guard. But there are 6000 pieces, some of which are iron rectangles. It is possible that we have different components with different contruction methods e.g. tubular arm guards, shoulder pieces and perhaps a body of scales or lamellar.
Info published on Polish Graves
Article in Polish, I do not think they have an English language version up as yet but google does an ok job. Some excellent images

four warriors buried in the eleventh century in the tombs in Pomerania came from Scandinavia

Sword Image

Attachment: 84.63 KB
Polish-Sword-sm2.jpg
smaller version of sword image
Re: Info published on Polish Graves
Craig Johnson wrote:
Article in Polish, I do not think they have an English language version up as yet but google does an ok job.

Thanks for sharing! One of the researchers mentioned has shared the English summary of the recent monograph on these excavations:

https://www.academia.edu/41674465/CIEP%C5%81E._AN_ELITE_EARLY_MEDIEVAL_CEMETERY_IN_EASTERN_POMERANIA_ED._S._WADYL

The summary offers a bit more detail about what was discovered, regarding swords in particular:
    the type Z shown above is from grave 35
    another type Z, also with silver-wrapped grip, in a scabbard, was found in grave 42 (no image)
    a "classic" type S was found in grave 43 (no image)
    the other type Z illustrated in the news article was excavated in 1900 from grave V, but was lost after WWII
Re: Info published on Polish Graves
Mark Lewis wrote:
Craig Johnson wrote:
Article in Polish, I do not think they have an English language version up as yet but google does an ok job.

Thanks for sharing! One of the researchers mentioned has shared the English summary of the recent monograph on these excavations:

https://www.academia.edu/41674465/CIEP%C5%81E._AN_ELITE_EARLY_MEDIEVAL_CEMETERY_IN_EASTERN_POMERANIA_ED._S._WADYL

The summary offers a bit more detail about what was discovered, regarding swords in particular:
    the type Z shown above is from grave 35
    another type Z, also with silver-wrapped grip, in a scabbard, was found in grave 42 (no image)
    a "classic" type S was found in grave 43 (no image)
    the other type Z illustrated in the news article was excavated in 1900 from grave V, but was lost after WWII

Thank you Mark, thats very helpful. :)
Italian 7th century BC Iron Age tomb with chariot and weapons -

https://www.livescience.com/princely-tomb-iron-age-italy.html?fbclid=IwAR3nTjjZenVielQy_l-zPnUrY7kO-W5wJffzyGZPsvf78bkFuSpSxatcKNk
This is pretty exceptional
It is an exceptional find and one that illustrates you need to keep your eyes peeled. You never know where something will turn up.

These pieces have always intrigued me as far as design and how the first large blades were utilized.

5000 year-old sword discovered in the Armenian Monastery of Venice

[ Linked Image ]
I'm kind of puzzled that this is being called a sword. To me it looks like a dagger. ---- Though the very oldest swords were pretty short.
Iron Age info
Interesting article and the helmet reconstruction is pretty impressive.

[ Linked Image ]
Re: Iron Age info
Craig Johnson wrote:
Interesting article and the helmet reconstruction is pretty impressive.

[ Linked Image ]

I had forgotten that his finger bones were still stuck to the helmet crest.

They literally had to pry his helmet out of his cold dead hand. Too awesome for words.

Matthew
Development on earlier post in thread about ship burials
Looks like after some exploratory work they have decided to fund the dig on the ship burials that were found and mentioned earlier in this thread. The description sounds like they may be deteriorating quickly.

Viking Ship Burials Archeology
Re: Development on earlier post in thread about ship burials
Craig Johnson wrote:
Looks like after some exploratory work they have decided to fund the dig on the ship burials that were found and mentioned earlier in this thread. The description sounds like they may be deteriorating quickly.

Viking Ship Burials Archeology

This is really exciting! I wish this kind of thing was televised live. I'd be watching it constantly.
Another viking ship burial was found on Edøya. Seems to be quite a rich site. Hopefully they can get some funding to do some digging.

https://www.lifeinnorway.net/second-viking-ship-grave-found-on-tiny-norwegian-island/
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21  Next

Page 17 of 21

Jump to: