Albion Swords
What are the main differences between Albion's 1st generation line and their next generation line?

I would like to know if there has been any significant performance improvements in the Next Gen Mainz, specifically.

I just would like to better understand the difference in quality, because I'm considering buying a 1st Gen Mainz Gladius.

Thanks very much,
Raj,

I've owned one first generation Albion (Agincourt) and have several Next Gens. The first gen was a very well made sword. I would say that the Next Gens are more hisorically accurate (Hilt construction...etc...) Now, as far as the Gladius goes I'm not sure how much difference there is since I haven't handled either. I would not think that they could do the hot peening like they do on the medieval swords since the wood grip components would have to be in place first. My guess is that there is less significant difference between the first Gen and Next Gen when it comes to the Gladius. The Nextgen probably is a bit nicer but if you can pick up a first gen for a reasonable price go for it.
Nathan,

Alrighty then! Thanks for the info! :)
Raj,

I've got my First Gen. Rheingonheim and my Next Gen. Allectus in front of me now. Obvious differences
include breadth, the Rheingomheim being broader and having a more pronounced wasp shape in the
blade, the Allectus is approx. a half inch longer with the taper to the needle point being longer and more
gradual. The hilt furniture is different, the Rheingonheim having an ovate pommel versus the Allectus' ball,
the guard on the Rheingonheim extends about a half inch past the edge of the blade on both sides, the
Allectus a much tidier quarter inch. The grip on the Allectus is wood, the Rheingonheim is bone, and finally
Albion stamps on the blade are different. The Rheingonheim has a bit more forward weight bias that gives
it a little advantage over the Allectus in a cut, the Allectus' longer point better for a thrust. When I got the Allectus
my plan was to sell my Rheingonheim but in the end decided to keep both.

Best,

Doug Gentner
Hi Doug,

Thanks for that info! That helped alot!
As I understand it, the Next Gen line is designed to accurately represent broad types within the development of the European sword. The Albion Mark line were well-made, but lacked that historical focus (and the undeniable talents and research of Peter Johnsson). Here's an example, the Albion Mark Crecy was kind of a "tweener". The Next Gen Crecy is a firm XVIa. And aspects of sword construction like dynamic balance, distribution of mass, nonlinear distal taper, etc. have been developed and expressed in the Next Gen line in a way that our lack of understanding might have prevented when the Albion Mark line was introduced. We've learned so much just in the past decade...

Anyway, hope that helps! :)

EDIT: I'm not sure the above will really relate so much to your gladius. And FWIW, The Albion Mark Fulham gladius is my favorite of all the gladii (sp?) they've done. :)
Sam,

Yes it does help! Thank you! :)

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: