Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Makers and Manufacturers Talk > Upgraded Bootstrap Cutlass Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Matthew Stagmer
Industry Professional

Feedback score: None
PostPosted: Wed 16 Feb, 2011 8:09 pm    Post subject: Upgraded Bootstrap Cutlass         Reply with quote

I made this as a trade for some leatherwork from a friend in the UK. He made a custom sword belt for my lady and I made this for his. She picked out our production Bootstrap cutlass, but I wanted to upgrade it a bit. I have done a bunch of spiral fluted handles, but for some reason I never did the pineapple pattern. I wanted to try it and I thought this was a good fit.

This is a prime example of an "upgraded" custom. I will soon be highlighting upgrades on our website.

This is based off of our production 28" cutlass blade. I hand ground a fuller in it and gave it a false edge and pulled the standard edge back a bit then gave the spine a bit of filework.

The hilt is based off of our standard Bootstrap. I upgraded that a bit aswell. Added some file work and some hammer finishing.

The handle is upgraded to a hickory wood handle. I then spiraled it in both directions creating a pineapple effect.

The pommel was custom ground from a bar on the sander to get that pineapple shape.

Her she is:

more info and pictures here: http://baltimoreknife.com/pineapplebootstrap.htm

Thanks for looking!

Matthew

Matthew Stagmer
Maker of custom and production weaponry
Youtube.com/ThatWorks
Bryan W.

PostPosted: Wed 16 Feb, 2011 8:26 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

You realize Matt that the more cool stuff you post, the more impatient I get waiting for my turn! ;-)

Looks nice. I was going to comment that the blade profile looks slightly different but then I reread your post and saw that you had done some alterations.
Scott Roush
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Thu 17 Feb, 2011 6:21 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

that thing is awesome. I'm not usually one for cutlasses, but that just has sweet lines and the guard just throws it over the top.
http://www.bigrockforge.com
Arthur Hylmes

PostPosted: Thu 17 Feb, 2011 7:18 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Beautiful work, Im jealous! What tools/technique do you guys use to get the pineapple pattern carved into the handle? Ive been wanting to do this to one of my wood grips for ages but havent been able to figure it out.
Arthur Hylmes
Matthew Stagmer
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Thu 17 Feb, 2011 7:48 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Arthur Hylmes wrote:
Beautiful work, Im jealous! What tools/technique do you guys use to get the pineapple pattern carved into the handle? Ive been wanting to do this to one of my wood grips for ages but havent been able to figure it out.

Thanks. It was actually kind of sick. I just did it on the sander just like I do the fullers on curved blade. Years of spiral faceting pommels paid off and I found it quite easy. I think I will do it more often.

So as far as tools, I used a pencil to draw the pattern on and I used a 5 hp Bader Space Saver sander. Little hand sanding to touch it up. A Dremel tool would work fine. Even a round file would do just fine. The trick is drawing you pattern on just right. Spiral and then spiral back the other way but your lines have to be perfect or your diamonds get skewed.

Bryan, your sword is coming along. No worries your number is coming up quick.

Thanks Scott. I find that if I spend just a little more time on some of our production hilts that they can be upgraded to no end! Fun!

Matthew Stagmer
Youtube.com/ThatWorks
Matthew Stagmer
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Thu 17 Feb, 2011 8:03 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Scott Roush wrote:
that thing is awesome. I'm not usually one for cutlasses, but that just has sweet lines and the guard just throws it over the top.

Hey Scott, can you tell me more about the Saw Makers anvil in your avatar. I am quite fund of them as I have forged blades on our Mouse Hole saw makers since I was a kid.

As seen here:

Walter Sorrels, Jeff Pringle,Chris Price and Jesus Hernandez splitting the bloom fresh out of the tatara.

Matthew Stagmer
Youtube.com/ThatWorks
Matthew Stagmer
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Tue 22 Feb, 2011 10:39 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Here is another picture to show scale.

I still have to engrave a lizard on the blade somewhere. That was the request from the customer.

Matthew Stagmer
Youtube.com/ThatWorks

Forum Index > Makers and Manufacturers Talk > Upgraded Bootstrap Cutlass
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic