Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search

myArmoury.com is now completely member-supported. Please contribute to our efforts with a donation. Your donations will go towards updating our site, modernizing it, and keeping it viable long-term.
Last 10 Donors: Daniel Sullivan, Anonymous, Chad Arnow, Jonathan Dean, M. Oroszlany, Sam Arwas, Barry C. Hutchins, Dan Kary, Oskar Gessler, Dave Tonge (View All Donors)

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > A Heroic Armour of the 15th-Century Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Jonathan Hopkins

PostPosted: Mon 15 Sep, 2008 3:11 pm    Post subject: A Heroic Armour of the 15th-Century         Reply with quote

I am a complete layman when it comes to armour, but I thought this was amazing and worth posting...

From the site:
Quote:
This armour was researched and designed by Tobias Capwell, Curator of Arms and Armour at the Wallace Collection in London. It was built for Toby to wear as the challenger in the Pas d’ Armes of the Golden Fleece held in Switzerland, by the Bern Historical Museum in cooperation with the Company of Saint George, July 30- August 10 2008. Its excellent mobility proved to be a major advantage when fighting on horseback, while the very robust hardened carbon-steel construction makes it extremely effective against the weapons employed in foot combat.

http://www.ageofarmour.com/instock/heroic-armour.html

Besides the images provided on the website in the link, can anyone else point out similar period images of "heroic armour", or perhaps actual armour in the heroic style?

Thank you,
Jonathan

Attachment: 38.53 KB
heroic-armour1-m.jpg

Hisham Gaballa

Reading list: 7 books

PostPosted: Mon 15 Sep, 2008 3:23 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

That is a very cool armour. Hats off to Toby Capwell for reconstructing something so unusual amd original. Happy

I would love to see some detailed pictures of the whole armour as well. I woonder if he is planning a helmet as well, at the moment he seems to be wearing an armet.
Lafayette C Curtis

Reading list: 7 books

PostPosted: Wed 17 Sep, 2008 11:29 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I believe you're already familiar with the last armor in the Features article about 16th-century armor specimens?
William Knight

PostPosted: Thu 18 Sep, 2008 9:46 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Somewhere I have a picture of the archangel Michael in a similar cuirass.
Nathan Robinson
myArmoury Admin

myArmoury Admin

PostPosted: Thu 18 Sep, 2008 10:05 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

William Knight wrote:
Somewhere I have a picture of the archangel Michael in a similar cuirass.

This one?

Click for full-sized image

.:. Visit my Collection Gallery :: View my Reading List :: View my Wish List :: See Pages I Like :: Find me on Facebook .:.
Zac Evans

PostPosted: Fri 19 Sep, 2008 8:31 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hisham Gaballa wrote:
That is a very cool armour. Hats off to Toby Capwell for reconstructing something so unusual amd original. Happy

I would love to see some detailed pictures of the whole armour as well. I woonder if he is planning a helmet as well, at the moment he seems to be wearing an armet.

He's selling it, as he had it made for a specific joust. He wore an armet with it (the one from his previous harness, but with the blacing removed). It looked the absolute bomb. Apparently the first time it was all put on together was the week that the tournament started, because he commissioned it with such a short time scale.
Mark T

PostPosted: Sat 28 Jul, 2012 11:04 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Apologies for the threadromancy, but does anyone know who made the brigandine and the arming doublet for Toby, shown on William Hurt's site?
Chief Librarian/Curator, Isaac Leibowitz Librarmoury

Schallern sind sehr sexy!

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > A Heroic Armour of the 15th-Century
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic