MRL Combination pistol/cutlery set
When I was researching Combination Weapons for myArmoury's spotlight article on them, I came across something I thought was just way too much fun: a set of cutlery with pistols built into the handles:

[ Linked Image ]

Now Museum Replicas is offering a non-firing version of this same set (or a similar one):

[ Linked Image ]

[ Linked Image ]

[ Linked Image ]

Pretty fun stuff.
Cooks beware! What an odd combination....
Bet the owner of those rarely had to say

"Leftovers again?"
That's awesome that MRL is reproducing these! If they ever do the book with the guns inside, I would buy that in a heartbeat. :) I love these types of things!
With the real ones it seems like an accident waiting to happen :eek: I guess they didn't have ambulance chasing lawyers in the 18th century dealing with product safety liability issues. :p :lol:

Probably just because people liked novelty items or gimmicks even then.

I guess a traveller eating a meal at an establishment of ill repute would have a " surprise " in hand if needed or if they displayed them openly it might have a " deterrent effect " or distract from the much more practical pocket pistol they might have concealed ? But mostly just a cute conversation piece ?

Or I'm seriously overthinking it. :p :lol:
Here are some double barreled conversation pieces! ;)

[ Linked Image ]
Jean Thibodeau wrote:
With the real ones it seems like an accident waiting to happen

I imagine some chap firing the fork pistol for the first time, and the recoil kicking it straight out of his hand into his stomach.
Or, shooting himself while eating.
Does any one know why the triggers on the original seem to bend backwards to what one normally sees on triggers? I might have expected a straight trigger, but have not seen other examples of triggers bending backwards like these.

Also, am I looking at thes correctly -- you have to hold the blade of the knife while firing the gun? Would the original knife have been sharp, or more like a butter knife? I would expect that even with a small charge in the barrel and an unsharpened blade, this would be a bit uncomfortable on the hand to shoot. But then, when dealing with novelty pieces, I guess function is often times a secondary consideration.

Chris
My first thought with these is the odds of shooting myself in the chest while carving my dinner. Now that would be an embarrassing epitaph!

Marc
I dont think there would be that much danger unless they used them with the hammers cocked.
Chris Goerner wrote:
Does any one know why the triggers on the original seem to bend backwards to what one normally sees on triggers? I might have expected a straight trigger, but have not seen other examples of triggers bending backwards like these.

The modern photo of the man holding the item is likely staged incorrectly. I'd presume that the items are meant to be hold "as if eating" and then, when the time came to pull the trigger, the wrist would be cocked back to aim the barrel at the target. This would mean that the "arch" of the trigger would still be arcing away from the target and pointing upwards. Flipping the entire item in hand and holding the blade/foot covered utensil end is not necessary.
Lovely, just lovely. I really like these kind of small weapons. A little bit expensive for me to buy them just for fun right now. But who knows, maybe later :)
Nathan Robinson wrote:
The modern photo of the man holding the item is likely staged incorrectly. I'd presume that the items are meant to be hold "as if eating" and then, when the time came to pull the trigger, the wrist would be cocked back to aim the barrel at the target. This would mean that the "arch" of the trigger would still be arcing away from the target and pointing upwards. Flipping the entire item in hand and holding the blade/foot covered utensil end is not necessary.

Nathan -- If I understand what you are saying correctly, when firing the piece your hand and wrist would be at the front of the lock with the lock upside down. If that's the case, wouldn't your grip on the gun interfere with the operation of the lock? I could certainly be wrong, but the orientation of the lock leads me to believe the modern photo has the gun being held correctly. But the orientation of the triggers still has me wondering :confused:
Chris Goerner wrote:
Nathan Robinson wrote:

Nathan -- If I understand what you are saying correctly, when firing the piece your hand and wrist would be at the front of the lock with the lock upside down. If that's the case, wouldn't your grip on the gun interfere with the operation of the lock? I could certainly be wrong, but the orientation of the lock leads me to believe the modern photo has the gun being held correctly. But the orientation of the triggers still has me wondering :confused:

I think that describes it but would add some questions like wouldn't the locks have to be cocked first which means either eating with them cocked or having to cock them quickly ? Doesn't sound very safe to eat with them ready to fire. :eek: :lol:

Upside down locks: Wouldn't the priming risk falling out or would the lock time be fast enough to avoid misfires ?

Anyone out there with a flintlock want to try shooting one upside down for us ? Or already know how much the odds of a misfire happening compared to normal use ?
I don't know. That's how all of my firearm silverware works...

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: