Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Makers and Manufacturers Talk > Trewhiddle style Anglo-Saxon sword Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page Previous  1, 2 
Chad Arnow
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

Reading list: 231 books

Spotlight topics: 15

Feedback score: 100%
(10 total ▮ 100% positive)
PostPosted: Wed 17 Sep, 2008 11:01 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Jeremy V. Krause wrote:

Is the etching on the strap ends and hilt components meant to evoke the use of niello? Also is the grip bone? I believe so nut am just checking.

The design sketch in the gallery Christian linked to indicates "white wood" for the grip.

http://gallery.me.com/christianfletcher1/100993/P1020242/web.jpg

Happy

ChadA

http://chadarnow.com/
Christian Fletcher
Industry Professional

Feedback score: None
PostPosted: Wed 17 Sep, 2008 11:30 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Very perceptive! Yes, I was emulating the look of silver fittings with niello in the recesses.

As for the grip material: hard maple, whitewashed then sealed.

Christian Fletcher
www.christianfletcher.com
Albert Steiner

PostPosted: Wed 17 Sep, 2008 12:28 pm    Post subject: Reply to Jeremy regarding the Thegn         Reply with quote

Jeremy. Fedex just delivered the piece and after 9 months of research, and contact with Christian the blade is in hand. Yes, we were trying to evoke the use of niello on the etching (which Christian made use of templates) . I asked if he could indeed use bone on the grip. Christian said he had never used that medium, so we went with white-washed maple which was sealed with lacquer. When Christian and I do the Northumbrian Gilling West "L" hilt we will be using a real pattern-welded blade, and silver on the hilt components. We are forced to used steel for the upper and lower guards, and base of the pommel, but Christian can simulate iron quite as you can see. Thank you for interest in our work. Albert
Tim May

PostPosted: Wed 17 Sep, 2008 1:44 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Albert,
Thanks for the clarification, I admit I was a bit overwhelmed when I saw the project completed even though I'd been following it on Christian's site. Also, I have a particular affinity for the Battle of Maldon; it was the piece of literature that convinced me to be an English major. I also need to thank you for this sword, seeing works such as this are sometimes the only deterrent to settling for lesser swords. Cheers, and I can't wait to see the Gilling West come to life.
Albert Steiner

PostPosted: Wed 17 Sep, 2008 4:40 pm    Post subject: Trewhiddle         Reply with quote

Jeremy, I have a degree in History, with a minor in Geography. I intended to become an archeologist when I was a kid. When I lived in Sweden, a five year dig was going on at Birka (which was THE Viking trade centre in Sweden). If not doing my major, or minor, I was taking English courses. The Battle of Maldon was a feature of mine in our History of the English Language course. I spent 45 minutes of class time doing a compare/contrast between the poem and the historical battle itself. If you do not have the "Return of the Vikings" on the Battle of Maldon by Donald Scragg (Tempus Press) it is highly recommended. My mother's family (on her maternal side) were from Essex, and Maldon has a special meaning for me. The Gilling West is going to be built on the experience of this Trewhiddle Thegn, because each historical project Christian and I work on compells him to learn new methods and materials to work with. He is a prince. Ta and Cheers, Albert
Albert Steiner

PostPosted: Thu 18 Sep, 2008 3:00 pm    Post subject: Tim         Reply with quote

Sorry Tim, I did not mean to refer to you by the incorrect name. As I mentioned in my first post on this sight, I found the original on the internet. I went to Christian because he does not make cookie-cutter swords. They are custom. I just happen to take weapons from Albion, Arms and Armor, and Jesse Frank, and have Christian go to work on them. The amount of work does not depend on how much is spent, but what is needed to replicate history at a certain time and place. Christian is most adaptable in complying with my eccentric projects, and I send him Osprey Man at Arms series sometimes to illustrate what we need. He gets to keep the books, as I feel that is part of the price I pay in getting him to agree to my projects in the first place. I cannot praise his hard work and good humour enough. My advice is don't settle for second best. I wanted this "L" hilt, because it is unique, and no one else has recreated it. Christian did. That speaks well for the kind of man he is. There is great pride which he puts into his work. They are made with the intrinsic love of creation. Find something in a book you must have, send him pictures, and see what he says. That is what I do. I will be glad to help with research and advice to any who ask. Albert PS. I you need a Rapier and left-hand dagger ask for Craig at Arms and Armor. He and I are looking at the exact recreation of a Pappenheimer circa 1630 down the road.
J. D. Carter

PostPosted: Thu 18 Sep, 2008 11:37 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Beautiful.
D. Bell

PostPosted: Sat 20 Sep, 2008 12:34 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I watched the in progress updates for this sword with interest, and am very impressed with the completed sword, congratulations to both Christian Fletcher and Albert Steiner.

The Gilling West sword seems to be quite popular, Armour Class offers a replica of it, Vince Evans has made a sword inspired by it, and (my favourite so far) Patrick Barta had also reproduced it. I'm always happy to see another version though, and I hope we will get to see yours too. Do you have someone in mind to supply the blade for this? When I've finished up all my current arms and armour projects, and have some free cash I might be interested in having Christian Fletcher hilt a pattern welded blade for me too.

An armed society is a polite society.
Albert Steiner

PostPosted: Sat 20 Sep, 2008 5:04 am    Post subject: Anglo-Saxon blades         Reply with quote

I am glad indeed that such interest is shown in this recreation of a neglected Anglo-Saxon hilt. One hears too much on the Normans, and their achievements, while the English are regulated to some back water tide pool. The "L" type hilt is a style the English created, and one which by all surviving examples, were objects of beauty as well as function. I should like to thank each and every member of this forum, who has left such kind words of praise for Christian's ability and skill for make a sword worthy of taking back in time. Albert

Forum Index > Makers and Manufacturers Talk > Trewhiddle style Anglo-Saxon sword
Page 2 of 2 Reply to topic
Go to page Previous  1, 2 All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: