Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > I wish Albion would make a Museum Line version of..... Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Nathan Keysor

Reading list: 9 books

PostPosted: Sun 14 Sep, 2008 2:13 pm    Post subject: I wish Albion would make a Museum Line version of.....         Reply with quote

Are there any historical swords you would like to see reproduced? I would love an Albion Museum Line version of this sword in the Met:

Attachment: 16.11 KB
mrl_medshort2_s.jpg

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for dinner.
Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote!"
Mike Arledge

Reading list: 8 books

PostPosted: Sun 14 Sep, 2008 2:25 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I will second that!
Mike J Arledge

The Dude Abides
Dave W.

Reading list: 2 books

PostPosted: Sun 14 Sep, 2008 3:53 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Strangely enough, the sword I want to see made is also from the met.

Simple yet elegant.

Attachment: 16.33 KB
sword.jpg

Jean Thibodeau

Reading list: 1 book

Spotlight topics: 5

PostPosted: Sun 14 Sep, 2008 5:02 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Nathan Keysor wrote:
Thanks, Nathan. I never noticed that on the Arms and Armour site before. I'm scared to ask how much they want for it. I took your advice and started a new topic.

Yeah, that is a nice one and I would guess that if one wanted it without the antiquing it might cost a little less if it means less work ? Or one could go for a lighter campaign worn look ?

You can easily give up your freedom. You have to fight hard to get it back!
Sam Barris

PostPosted: Sun 14 Sep, 2008 11:26 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Records XX.4 would be my pick. Not only is it an amazing weapon, but is also tied to the Bayerisches and Svante swords by guard and pommel (a triumvirate of awesome, if you will). Since they're already doing a Museum Line version of the Svante and have said the Bayerisches is forthcoming, seems like they could do it for little investment in new waxes as well.

And, of course, I'm waiting with bated breath for the Museum Line Valkyrja. Happy

Pax,
Sam Barris

"Any nation that draws too great a distinction between its scholars and its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards, and its fighting done by fools." —Thucydides
Luka Borscak

PostPosted: Mon 15 Sep, 2008 3:11 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I would love to see the sword P.Johnsson talked about in this topic. Brazil nut pommel and three fullers, similar in size to Duke or Baron...
http://www.myArmoury.com/talk/viewtopic.php?t...highlight=
Julien M

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Mon 15 Sep, 2008 3:31 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hi,

I was lucky enough to see the type XIV from the Morosini collection in the Met a month ago. That particular sword has always been the sword of all swords in my mind, since I saw it in the pages of the "Record of the medieval sword". Apart from the heritage item edition shown in the arms and armor website, I have not yet seen a replica that was really true to the original.

Deltin has two versions inspired by this sword (identical but of different sizes), and MRL had its medieval short sword (or Dracula sword). The windlass version being itself inspired by the deltin one, all these are very similar in the end, and in my opinion, none are really true to the original. The blade profile is much narrower especially toward the end of the fueller, when the blade profile changes from fuellered to diamond shape towards the tip (the tip is also much more acute). As a result, if found that those seem to lack the authority of the original (even if the Deltin version does indeed look great in Gary Oldman's hand in Dracula Happy )

The met sword really is stunning for such a plain/functional weapon. It has no complex hilt nor ornaments so what sets it apart is quiet subtle. I think the sheer size of the blade has much to do with it (it is both unusually long for a one handler and broad too). I took a couple of pictures (below), in haste before running to JFK airport.

Also I did ask Arms and Armor for a quote of their heritage version of this very sword a while ago (2 years) and here is the quote I had:

"The Met sword runs about 1500.00 with out the inscriptions in steel. If you
would like Silver plate on the guard and the silver rings with inscriptions
soldered to the pommel as the original it would be more. We can do the guard
in Latten like the original as well but that does add to the cost and if it
is covered in silver anyway does not add greatly to the look."

Still out of my reach Happy

Cheers.

Julien

Attachment: 40.06 KB
IMG_0418 b.jpg

Attachment: 62.55 KB
IMG_0410.jpg

Attachment: 89.62 KB
IMG_0416.jpg

Attachment: 75.13 KB
IMG_0424.jpg

Gordon Clark

Reading list: 1 book

PostPosted: Mon 15 Sep, 2008 4:54 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Sam Barris wrote:
Records XX.4 would be my pick. Not only is it an amazing weapon, but is also tied to the Bayerisches and Svante swords by guard and pommel (a triumvirate of awesome, if you will). Since they're already doing a Museum Line version of the Svante and have said the Bayerisches is forthcoming, seems like they could do it for little investment in new waxes as well.

And, of course, I'm waiting with bated breath for the Museum Line Valkyrja. Happy

I would buy that one!
Justin B.

Reading list: 17 books

PostPosted: Mon 15 Sep, 2008 5:05 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Am I the only one here who'd pull for a Museum Line version of an earlier Viking Age sword? Doesn't matter which, really... just something typically "Viking", from the 8th or 9th centuries.

That would be even cooler than a Museum Line Valkyrja Wink
Nathan Keysor

PostPosted: Mon 15 Sep, 2008 6:22 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Julien,

Thanks for the great pictures. I could see an Albion Museum Line version easily costing more than $1,500 (although I would still pay it Big Grin )

I like all the ideas so far. I have the Valkyrja but I would probably get rid of it for a Museum Line version. The only problem I see is replicating the folded steel blade on the original.

Addison C. de Lisle

PostPosted: Mon 15 Sep, 2008 6:36 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Wow, I really like the proportions of that sword! The blade width to length proportion (and the fuller) remind me of the Vorpal Blade that Peter Johnsson made for the Masters of Fire show.

Attachment: 15.95 KB
78.jpg

www.addisondelisle.com
Paul Watson

PostPosted: Mon 15 Sep, 2008 12:46 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I would like XIIa.2 from Records of the Medieval Sword. Simply put I really like it's proportions and subtle detail. Probably too simple and not unqiue enough for the Museum Line however.
I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, but that which it protects. (Faramir, The Two Towers)
Chad Arnow
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

PostPosted: Tue 16 Sep, 2008 10:16 am    Post subject: Re: I wish Albion would make a Museum Line version of.....         Reply with quote

Nathan Keysor wrote:
Are there any historical swords you would like to see reproduced? I would love an Albion Museum Line version of this sword in the Met:

I'd love to see this sword done, too, but I don't know how likely it is. Museum Line swords are supposed to be totally faithful to the original. Having engraved silver bands attached to a bronze pommel is hard enough, but overlaying the cross with strips of silver is going to be hard to do accurately and not be way too expensive.

If you simply silver plate a guard whose shape is made to mimic the effect and texture of the silver overlay, it's no longer faithful enough to be called Museum Line, in my opinion.

A somewhat simplified Next Gen version that omits the silver plating could be neat, though.

Happy

ChadA

http://chadarnow.com/
Nathan Keysor

PostPosted: Tue 16 Sep, 2008 5:05 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Chad,

I definitely see your point there. That seems to be the problem they are having with a Museum Line version of the Munich also if I recall. It would be nice to see some of the more highly decorated medieval swords produced. It's unfortunate that the cost would be prohibitive. At some point it wouldn't be a return on the investment of time and materials if the sword was priced so high that hardly anyone bought it. I suppose Albion has to take that into consideration when they are deciding what to replicate. Ironically, some swords are just too nice to reproduce. Big Grin

Chris Artman

PostPosted: Tue 16 Sep, 2008 6:18 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I am expecting and hoping for a few more museum line Albion's...

1) The museum line version of the 'Munich', which has already been said to have been forthcoming on Albion's website.

2) A beautiful XVIIIc such as shown above. I am also in love with the XVIIIc illustration in the Albion catalog on page 44 and 45 “Oakeshott’s Typology of the Medieval Sword”.

3) One of the famous Italian Two Handers. An Italian Two-hander should be next on Albion's two-hander list.

4) The XXII. A great example is the tall and wide XXII illustration in the Albion catalog on page 44 and 45 “Oakeshott’s Typology of the Medieval Sword”.

5) At this point, I think I'm only interested in museum level detailed swords. A museum Valkyrje would also be great.

Attachment: 118.4 KB
[ Download ]

Attachment: 115.64 KB
[ Download ]
D. Bell

PostPosted: Sat 20 Sep, 2008 1:27 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I'd love to see Albion do a Museum Line version of X.15 in Records. They announced they are doing a Next Generation version earlier this year, but I'd like to get it complete with blade inlay. Alas, blade inlay is probably one of those things that costs more than it's worth for a production sword. I have wondered about adding the inlay to the completed sword but I don't know if it is feasible, or who would be willing to undertake the work.
An armed society is a polite society.

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > I wish Albion would make a Museum Line version of.....
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic