Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search

myArmoury.com is now completely member-supported. Please contribute to our efforts with a donation. Your donations will go towards updating our site, modernizing it, and keeping it viable long-term.
Last 10 Donors: Daniel Sullivan, Anonymous, Chad Arnow, Jonathan Dean, M. Oroszlany, Sam Arwas, Barry C. Hutchins, Dan Kary, Oskar Gessler, Dave Tonge (View All Donors)

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Reconquest of Spain compared to the Crusades Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next 
Jean-Carle Hudon

PostPosted: Mon 08 Sep, 2008 3:42 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Vassilis,
I don't think you can compare the political realities of Spain , form roughly ad 700 to roughly ad 1400, with the whole series of crusades to what some still call the Holy Land,from roughly AD1096 onwards.
The Franks, under Charles Martel, turned triumphant Islam back , but it was clear that the conquerors and their new faith, had come to stay, so what was left of the northern visigothic kingdoms, had to organize and eventually triumph, or eventually succomb and disappear. These two antagonistic, mutually exclusive, religious and ethnic, or national entities, depending on which anachronism you prefer, were not going to find some way of creating a united nations symposium on such a small peninsula as Spain.
On the other hand, the Crusaders come from the south of France, Germany, England, Italy, Scandinavia, and not all these places were subject to the same pressures of overpopulation, and neither Germany nor Scandinavia got involved with the age of discovery and shifting populations to the Americas. Some might even point out how some colonising countries discouraged their own people from emigrating.
I think you are painting with a very broad brushstroke in trying to reduce extremely complex histories into an easy to grasp model of determinism. We need land, let's use religion and go massacre some infidels. Sometimes it's just more complicated than that. Sometimes people really believe in what they say they are fighting for, and belief is a slippery ground. Cheers. JCH

Bon coeur et bon bras
Bill Tsafa

PostPosted: Mon 08 Sep, 2008 4:06 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Yes, Jean I am scaling down the two campaigns to a size that I can look at them both side by side. Yes, a lot of detail is being overlooked because it is easy to get lost in it. My analysis is a starting point for discussion to branch out from. There is risk in both looking at too much detail and too little detail. You can never be sure what the right amount of detail is.
No athlete/youth can fight tenaciously who has never received any blows: he must see his blood flow and hear his teeth crack... then he will be ready for battle.
Roger of Hoveden, 1174-1201
www.poconoshooting.com
www.poconogym.com
John Cooksey

PostPosted: Mon 08 Sep, 2008 7:06 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

So many perspectives in this thread, I find it fascinating. . . . Without doing detailed "quote and response", I want to address a few points.

First, the status of Christians (and Jews and Zoroastrians) in Islamic society:
Indeed, as fellow monotheists, Christians and others had the status of dhimmis, and did have to pay jizya. Other than economic, there was very little pressure from "the state" or the umma for them to convert, because they provided almost all the non-tariff tax revenue for Islamic governments for early Islamic states. Indeed, conversion was, in the earliest centuries, actively discouraged. The original "plan", if you can describe it as such, was for Muslim Arabs to be a military class subsisting off the tax and tribute of protected populations. This, however, proved impossible to manage, as the social and economic benefits of Islam were overwhelmingly attractive to some individuals and groups (many Sassanian cavalry formations "converted" en masse).
Christians and Jews had legal protection in Islamic societies, and were often *favored* for government and administrative positions (examples include Copts in the Mamluk Sultanate and both Mizrahi and Sephardic Jews in the Ottoman Empire).

What was the status of Jews and Muslims in *any* Christian country of the medieval period?

Second, the idea that a conquering group dominates and completely absorbs the energies/vitality of the conquered:
This is a popular idea both in modern cultural anthropology and in popular literature today. It is now, however, always true. One only has to look at the long term effects of the Turko-Mongolian conquest of the 13th-14th centuries on *any* major civilization that they encountered. Some Turko-Mongolian customs (weapons, armor, costume) were adopted, but on the whole, the "localizing and sedentarizing" effect of living in the midst of a huge agrarian population affected (damaged) Mongol culture in the long term, with the classic example being the Sinification of the Peking court.

Third, however irrelevant the dating might be, the "Christian" reconquest of Sicily:
This was actually prior to the Crusades by a few years, and originated from Roman imperial adventures in recapturing lost possessions. The Romans hired some rough and tumble Norman mercenaries, and the rest is history, as they say.

. .

When looking at all these centuries of Christian-Muslim conflict, it is important to be cognizant of the fact that the Muslim powers underwent vast changes between AD 634 and AD 1452. The "ethnic" composition of armies and regimes was completely overturned on multiple occasions, especially as Turkish migration continued out of Central Asia in a seemingly unstoppable river of people and horses. Just a century prior to the First Crusade, a combined force of Christian Romans and nominally Christian Kievans had finally put paid to the Khazar Khaganate, which had kept the armies of Umayyad and Abbasid Islam out of Eastern Europe and checked the westward expansion of the Turks for 3 centuries.

Pardon any misspellings or poor word choices-----it's been a very long day.
Thanks, everyone, for a great thread!

I didn't surrender, but they took my horse and made him surrender.
James H.

PostPosted: Mon 08 Sep, 2008 9:37 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

O.K., I am going to put my quick two cents worth in; even though I have only the basic general knowledge of the Crusades. (And with out reading the whole thread too. ;-p )
The Crusades had as many different reasons as the people who marched and sailed to Jerusalem had personal ambition and religious faith and so the reasons can not be lumped in to just one motivation. I believe , and here I stress believe instead of know, that the main reasons the Pope of Rome called his faithful to march against the Islamic world in defense of Constantinople was 1) because even with the split between the church; Constantinople was still the ‘sister’ city to Rome with ties stretching back to the Roman Empire, 2) Constantinople (along with Rome maybe) was the last refuge of true western civilization in a period of time called the dark age of Europe, 3) Constantinople had lost Asia Minor which was a strategic buffer between the Islamic world and Christian and vital to trade with Asia I would think, 4) At this time the Muslims were a real threat to Europe, Like Christians, they viewed it as their duty to God to spread the faith and words of the Koran, they had already taken southern Spain and southern most part of Italy earlier. The theory that if one location falls to an enemy is one still used today, rather real or imagined. One has only to look at earlier examples of the theory of how Communism would spread. It was one of the reasons for Vietnam, to check the spread of Communism, and it is used today in the form of Iran and it’s spread of influence and Al’ Quaida as well. 5) Constantinople was a rich region and I am sure Rome would have enjoyed their indebtedness for the help and maybe they could even convert a few Orthodox and Muslims to Catholicism. 6) Though Orthodox, they were still Christens and for them to fall to ‘Heathens and blasphemers’ would have been an affront to God and also to the Pope and led some to question his faith or the Pope himself. Same went for the fall of Jerusalem. 7) I also believe that this gave the Pope an opportunity to unite the divided European Content and it’s Christians under the church; strengthen his own position of authority at the same time.
Now, why was the Jerusalem and Byzantium Crusades more remembered for it’s atrocities then the good? Well, that is simple; because, that is the way the world works. I mean really, look at today’s media and the war in Iraq and Afghanistan and you mostly only see the bad things coming of it and little of any good that the troops have accomplished. Is that because nothing is being accomplished; no, there is accomplishments it is just rarely covered. Same thing with the Vietnam War, I have never seen a historical coverage of media entertainment cover the good soldier deeds or Vietnams who supported our being there to try and prevent them form falling to the North Vietnamese. (And if these analogies strike anyone’s cords the wrong way; please, I do not want to get into a political discussion. I can only apologize ahead of time) Also the simple fact that because of so many different interests and people in play during the crusades with no real guidance from a single inanity other then the Pope’s call for the Crusades themselves it was amazing that any thing was accomplished really and that the atrocities did not number more. Saladin was actually well known for being generous to the conquered and a unifier for his people and excellent political negotiator as well as brutal fair which was a contrast to many of the crusaders. His treatment of Jerusalem and Byzantium was a stark contrast to the Iron fists of the crusaders as well.
Poor Spain is often forgotten I think because the kingdoms that set out to take it back were not the major powers of the time or lived on in name to modern times like England, France, Rome and Germany did. Also the Moors days were already fading. They were becoming fragmented and loosing contact with their Islamic homelands and had never in all their time occupation moved any father north outside of the Iberian Peninsula so may have not been a threat.
The Crusades were more famous also because of the famous people who took part in the Crusades and the organizations (Knight Templar for one) and Jerusalem is even to this day considered a holy city by three of the most influential religions. It is still a hot bed, it inspires minds and faith. Anyways I am cutting this short, I’m tired and need to get to bed. Hope this helps and hope I am not too far off the mark of this, let me know if I am, like I said I only know from the basic minimal information.
Joshua Connolly

PostPosted: Mon 08 Sep, 2008 10:08 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

John Cooksey wrote:

Second, the idea that a conquering group dominates and completely absorbs the energies/vitality of the conquered:
This is a popular idea both in modern cultural anthropology and in popular literature today. It is now, however, always true. One only has to look at the long term effects of the Turko-Mongolian conquest of the 13th-14th centuries on *any* major civilization that they encountered. Some Turko-Mongolian customs (weapons, armor, costume) were adopted, but on the whole, the "localizing and sedentarizing" effect of living in the midst of a huge agrarian population affected (damaged) Mongol culture in the long term, with the classic example being the Sinification of the Peking court.

I think the difference there is that I don't think the Mongol conquests were "total" conquests like those of the Spanish in the Americas, the Spanish in Iberia, the Islamic peoples over the Middle East, Romans over various places in Europe, "China" over the vast territory it controls, and so on. In all of these situations they had some sort of cultural and economic vigor that can "supplant" the local culture and economy, and then bring the necessary amount of "reliance" upon the mother country. Military victories alone don't guarantee a conquest, I believe. Usually I fall back to the Hegelian concept of "Thesis, Antithesis, Synthesis" in these cases. In order for the "Synthesis" (the Greco-Roman world and Christianity , Capitalism and Marxism, etc) of the two "ideas" to come about, there has to be an "antithesis". If there is no real "Antithesis", then the original idea remains supreme and uncontested.

For instance, the Mongols really didn't have anything on their own to replace the local cultures and economies with, which means that they remain relatively strong in those regards(Aside from the depopulating and weakening of some areas of China and Persia). So, the local cultures 'overwhelm' them, and they themselves become the "conquered" by getting absorbed into the local culture. You see this same sort of situation with Rome's contact with Greece, Viking contact with the Irish, "Viking" contact with the French in Normandy, and, like you mentioned, Mongolian contact with the Chinese. Kublai Khan(If I remember properly..) actually recognized this problem, and made efforts to segregate his Mongolian soldiers from the native Chinese. If I remember correctly, this was also mimicked by the later Qing dynasty, with them separating the Manchu Banners from the Han and Mongolian Banners, as well as limiting their contact with towns.

I think the question is now, how is this different with a potential Muslim Conquest? Well, history has shown that as a driving force, Islam is at least the equal to Christianity, so you may have seen something of a withering of European identity and European culture, to be supplanted by an extension (Synthesis) of Islamic culture.
John Cooksey

PostPosted: Mon 08 Sep, 2008 11:54 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Joshua Connolly wrote:

I think the difference there is that I don't think the Mongol conquests were "total" conquests like those of the Spanish in the Americas, the Spanish in Iberia, the Islamic peoples over the Middle East, Romans over various places in Europe, "China" over the vast territory it controls, and so on. In all of these situations they had some sort of cultural and economic vigor that can "supplant" the local culture and economy, and then bring the necessary amount of "reliance" upon the mother country. Military victories alone don't guarantee a conquest, I believe. Usually I fall back to the Hegelian concept of "Thesis, Antithesis, Synthesis" in these cases. In order for the "Synthesis" (the Greco-Roman world and Christianity , Capitalism and Marxism, etc) of the two "ideas" to come about, there has to be an "antithesis". If there is no real "Antithesis", then the original idea remains supreme and uncontested.
. . .
I think the question is now, how is this different with a potential Muslim Conquest? Well, history has shown that as a driving force, Islam is at least the equal to Christianity, so you may have seen something of a withering of European identity and European culture, to be supplanted by an extension (Synthesis) of Islamic culture.

Yes, the Americas are often used as an example of this sort. It holds true in some regions, where the native population was essentially wiped out, such as Argentina. In other areas, such as Peru, or Mexico, native cultures managed to recover from the worst effects of colonial regimes and the seemingly inevitable spread of Eurasian diseases, and even developed a new "hybrid vigor".

I certainly don't see how the Arab conquest of Persia was any more "total" than that of the Turko-Mongols over China or Iran. Just 100 years after the Arab invasion of highland Iran and Mesopotamia, there were already very active resistance movements against Arab domination; these came to a head with the so-called Abbasid Revolution, which was at least in part an Aryan "national" movement against the Arabizing influences of the Umayyad Caliphate. All of Iran felt a sort of betrayal when this national movement was suborned by the House of Abbas and after the subsequent murder of Abu Muslim. Eventually, this resentment led to the establishment of very strong, very vital ethnically and culturally Iranian states such as the Samanid and Buyid principalities.

Even at their worst, the Islamic Arabs and their successor states (of various ethnic and cultural origins) never intended to wipe out populations, to destroy cultural identities, or even to replace local monotheistic beliefs with their own doctrines. That, in my mind, is a key difference between Muslim expansion and Christian expansion. Classical Islam is tolerant of certain religious creeds, those which share either an Abrahamic origin or a similar degree of monotheism. Christianity of the Late Classical and Medieval periods, taken as a whole, never expressed this degree of religious toleration.

I also disagree that most Muslim leaders, or ulama for that matter, of the period before the First Crusade had *any* substantial interest in converting the masses of Christians and Jews in conquered regions to Islam. They had certainly never made any serious attempt to convert the hundreds of thousands of Christians and Jews already living under Islamic rule in Syria-Palestine, Egypt, the Yemen, or Greater Iran.
Islam was originally intended to be the religion of the Arabs, alone.
The Samanids did make the fatal blunder, however, of converting a certain Ghuzz tribe to Islam, thinking by doing this they would make friends out of enemies, save the souls of true pagans, and secure their borders forever. This, of course, brought hundreds of thousands of newly welcome but completely unreformed Turkish horseman across the Amu Darya into the heart of sedentary Islamic civilization!!!

The population of Jerusalem, when it was sacked by the Franks during the First Crusade, included thousands of Christians and Jews who were massacred right alongside their Muslim neighbors.

Other than a re-opening of trade routes (which actually had a hell of a lot more to do with the creation of stable Turkish kingdoms from 1050 onwards than it did with the Crusades), I can't really think of a whole lot of good that the Crusaders did for the regions they invaded. Some individuals, I know, acted with the best of intentions (however bigoted *I* might perceive them to be, from my personal perspective) and with honorable deeds. Certainly, if the Franks had really wanted to protect Western Christendom from the dangers of the Islamic East, it would have better to shore up existing defenses in eastern Anatolia and Cilicia against further Seljuk (and other Ghuzz tribes) migration and "Turkification", rather than trying to regain the holy land. Tribe after tribe of migrating Ghuzz were converting to Islam and seeking service in Islamic states for very real political and economic gains. The Romans had borne the brunt of Turkish (Turko-Mongol) invasions since the 5th century, protecting the rest of Europe against steppe tribes migrating both across Anatolia and through Pontus. Constantinople was the capital of the Christian World, and in many ways the greatest city west of China. Until Manzikert, there is no question that Rome was the greatest Christian power in the world. The Frankish kingdoms simply didn't have the wealth, the immense resources, or the manpower to do what the Romans had been doing for 600 years . . .

Sigh . . I love history, but it is awfully depressing sometimes.

Anyway, gentleman and ladies (are there any ladies involved with this thread?), I bid you all good night. Again, thanks for all your insights. The membership on this site is truly outstanding.

Bruno Giordan

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Tue 09 Sep, 2008 3:58 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Werner Stiegler wrote:
Quote:
And if Islam had conquered Europe no Renaissance masterwork would have been possible, as Islam forbids any representation of human figure: no Leonardo, no Michelangelo ... no Durer.
There's plenty of Afghan, Iranian, turkish and Adulasian painting around contradicting that notion, never mind all the indian mughal miniatures.

Of course, unlike any paintings being doned in europe at the same time, these were private affairs of kings and princes and at best meant for a small public. I suppose having to work for such a restricted audience would have put a serious damper on european art indeed.

Well, you are speaking of things done against the most literal interpretation of Islam, which was the winning one.

Pls tell me what gallery of Saudi painters we can visit otherwise.

As for the Eeuropean paintings being private stuff, you are forgetting churches, public palaces, public statuary: art was meant to be displayed to the people,a s a sign of the intelligence, munificence and power of the rulers.

During the renaissance there was a race to attain beauty, and the people kept painters and artists in great consideration, even becoming fans of one artist versus another: painters and sculptors contended among themselves for attaining public fame.

Art would excite passions.

Sorry to say this, but there is a big lack of knowledge of our great past.
Randall Pleasant

PostPosted: Tue 09 Sep, 2008 6:56 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Benjamin H. Abbott wrote:
Quote:
The Crusades saved western civilization.

That's a big leap. I don't see good reason to believe any of the various Islamic powers would have successfully conquered Western Europe without the Crusades, much less that such a conquest would have destroyed Western civilization.

Benjamin

Tell that to the people who lived in Vienna in 1529 and 1683. I think the Crusaders, the Spartans, the men who fought at Vienna, and the men who fought at Tours all save Western Civilization. When I look at the cultures, the values, and govenments of the Middle East I am very thankful for the men who defended Europe.

Also take a look at:

The Real History of the Crusades by Prof. Thomas F. Madden
http://www.thearma.org/essays/Crusades.htm

Ran Pleasant
ARMA DFW
John Cooksey

PostPosted: Tue 09 Sep, 2008 9:38 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Er, the Spartans???

That's taking things quite a bit afield from the topic of the Crusades and the Reconquista. :-)

The Achaemenid Persians *were* an integral part of Western culture, and never posed any threat to "Western" civilizations. Just like the Parthians, the Sassanians (though the Sassanians did fall prey to the monotheistic temptation to proselytize), etc. etc. Certainly Ionian culture was not seriously damaged under almost 3 centuries of Achaemenid rule.

I do admire the Italian Renaissance, but even the most casual of historians has to admit that the renaissance would not have been possible without the preservation and expansion of knowledge in the (Christian) Eastern Roman Empire and the various Islamic universities of the early Middle Ages.
Mathematics, astronomy, and medicine flourished under the vibrant interchange of ideas in the Early and Classical Islamic Era. Even after the time of the previously mentioned al Ghazali, Islamic scholars were among the foremost scientists in the world. Averroes, for example, though a Muslim, was one of the most respected scholars in the world in the 12th and 13th centuries, no matter one's religion.
Without the extremely active efforts of international translators in Islamic universities, the whole history of "Western" science and scholarship would have been greatly limited.

Figural/representational painting in Islamic art is known from every era. Though many of the umma do believe that humans should not be represented, the only thing strictly forbidden is the representation of humans as objects of worship, in order to prevent idolatry.

Good topic, folks!

Christian Henry Tobler

PostPosted: Tue 09 Sep, 2008 11:31 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Indeed John - Arab scholars were the 'caretakers' of much of the knowledge of Classical Antiquity during the Migration period and early parts of the Middle Ages. Aristotle, for instance, was re-patriated to the West in the 11th and 12th centuries, via the Scholastics, from Islamic schools.

We need to be careful in using today's East and West as templates for understanding history. A 12th century Muslim would find today's Islamic culture alien, and a Christian of the same era would not understand today's version(s) of his religion.

All the best,

Christian

Christian Henry Tobler
Order of Selohaar

Freelance Academy Press: Books on Western Martial Arts and Historical Swordsmanship

Author, In Saint George's Name: An Anthology of Medieval German Fighting Arts
John Cooksey

PostPosted: Tue 09 Sep, 2008 1:02 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Christian Henry Tobler wrote:
Indeed John - Arab scholars were the 'caretakers' of much of the knowledge of Classical Antiquity during the Migration period and early parts of the Middle Ages. Aristotle, for instance, was re-patriated to the West in the 11th and 12th centuries, via the Scholastics, from Islamic schools.

We need to be careful in using today's East and West as templates for understanding history. A 12th century Muslim would find today's Islamic culture alien, and a Christian of the same era would not understand today's version(s) of his religion.

All the best,

Christian

Very good point.
All cultures are very much the product of their unique histories, continually being changed and "re-formed" by interactions with the cultures surrounding them.

Nathan Keysor

Reading list: 9 books

PostPosted: Tue 09 Sep, 2008 2:03 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

As I mentioned before, a lot of the negativity about the Crusades comes from post WWII historians (particularly the 1960's variety). The trend was to go against established history by pro-western authors such as Hillaire Belloc. It became fashionable to wax on about the superior culture of the East and diminish the accomplishments of the West. The Crusades were particlarly derided because they were a religiously motivated war. War (bad) + Christianity (bad) = Crusades (bad). This view has been perpetuated until quite recently.
Most of us on this forum are products of an educational system that has promulgated this idea. It is therefore easy to understand the dismay of some at the thought of the Crusades being beneficial. This is cultural and historic trend that started before many of us were born. It is evidenced in books and movies. In particular the movie "Kingdom of Heaven" was very hostile to the west (indeed it was CAIR approved). Many of the above posts are quite articulate in defense of Muslim culture. I'm not here to bash it. I'm merely trying to even the playing field for the pro west point of view. The Crusades have gotten a bum rap.
Luckily, the pendulum is starting to swing back the other way and there are books less hostile to the Crusades out there. I would suggest to anyone actually interested in the subject that they read "The Leper King and His Heirs: Baldwin IV and the Crusader Kingdom of Jerusalem" by Bernard Hamilton. This will contradict what's been fashionable in the past fifty years or so of historical writing on the subject.

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for dinner.
Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote!"
Christian Henry Tobler

PostPosted: Tue 09 Sep, 2008 3:05 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hi Nathan,

I have no strong feelings about the Crusades, save for feeling that several of them being botched. There's credible evidence to suggest that indeed the Christians of Palestine were coming under greater pressure until the 1st Crusade.

However, the Crusades could only have ended as they did, and this speaks to why I don't feel your theory on Islamic conquest of Europe is viable. People of this period were incapable of creating long-lasting empires stretched too thinly across too many ethnicities. The Crusader states were doomed largely for this reason - controlling a largely alien landscape using leaders from half a continent away just isn't a strategy likely to work.

Plus, it begs the question: if there was so much chance of a Muslim conquest of Europe, how come Europe couldn't even conquer itself? Wink Charlemagne's empire dissolves quickly upon his death, and the Holy Roman Empire that replaces it ultimately has little central authority and no suzerainty over France, Britain, Scandanavia, or Spain - to say nothing of the queasy authority it had over most of Italy.

Arguably, the most successful attempt at control of Europe was by Rome, but the price they had to pay in the loss of Roman identity proved its own downfall, in many ways.

Holding territory so tightly so as to control its religion is a very modern thing, and one that hasn't even worked in the modern era. The Soviet Union never fully quelled it, neither has China. The most successful empires of ancient days were those that allowed considerable autonomy and local culture - such as the Great Khanate (really, a bunch of less khanates strung together). The Caliphate system worked much the same way.

Could rulers from the Middle East have quelled and ruled Europe, supplanting the entire continent's native religion and its associated customs? No, I don't think so, and I think there's lot of history telling us why.

All the best,

Christian

Christian Henry Tobler
Order of Selohaar

Freelance Academy Press: Books on Western Martial Arts and Historical Swordsmanship

Author, In Saint George's Name: An Anthology of Medieval German Fighting Arts
Nathan Keysor

Reading list: 9 books

PostPosted: Tue 09 Sep, 2008 4:26 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Christian,

You raise excellent points. The difference with an Islamic empire however is that Islam is a political and religious ideology. It replaces existing laws with shariya. Islam itself was divided even during the Crusades into factions.

It is entirely plausible for Islam to have conquered Europe. It didn't happen do to historical accidents mostly but it was a real threat. I agree that it wouldn't have held together as a unified empire but it would be a vastly different world than we know today.

I agree that many of the Crusades were botched (particularly in their short term goals). I still contend that the effect of increasing European dominance in the mediterranean is crucially important to Europes economic stability. If muslims had been unchallenged there they would have gained more footholds in Europe and the economic strength to exploit them. This would have cause more territorial gains. Denying this to them was essential for future European dominance of the seas and oceans.

After the Reconquista Christendom almost immediately started trying to bypass the Muslim lock on trade with India and China. They were able to do this and were further strengthened economically. The future voyages of discovery bring more prosperity to Europe.

Now, if Islam had remained in control of the mediterranean Spain could have been easily reinforced, Europe would be economically shut off from the rest of the world and future discoveries would be made by the people that were in control of shipping: Muslims.

This is not to say that the Crusaders were the only thorn in the side of a possible pan-islamic empire. The Mongols helped out in this regard as well. However the importance of the Crusades in strengthening European naval power cannot be understated. Ship building technology was the cutting edge technology of the day and the source of most of Europes future success.

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for dinner.
Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote!"
Joshua Connolly

PostPosted: Tue 09 Sep, 2008 5:09 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

John Cooksey wrote:

Yes, the Americas are often used as an example of this sort. It holds true in some regions, where the native population was essentially wiped out, such as Argentina. In other areas, such as Peru, or Mexico, native cultures managed to recover from the worst effects of colonial regimes and the seemingly inevitable spread of Eurasian diseases, and even developed a new "hybrid vigor".

I certainly don't see how the Arab conquest of Persia was any more "total" than that of the Turko-Mongols over China or Iran. Just 100 years after the Arab invasion of highland Iran and Mesopotamia, there were already very active resistance movements against Arab domination; these came to a head with the so-called Abbasid Revolution, which was at least in part an Aryan "national" movement against the Arabizing influences of the Umayyad Caliphate. All of Iran felt a sort of betrayal when this national movement was suborned by the House of Abbas and after the subsequent murder of Abu Muslim. Eventually, this resentment led to the establishment of very strong, very vital ethnically and culturally Iranian states such as the Samanid and Buyid principalities.

Even at their worst, the Islamic Arabs and their successor states (of various ethnic and cultural origins) never intended to wipe out populations, to destroy cultural identities, or even to replace local monotheistic beliefs with their own doctrines. That, in my mind, is a key difference between Muslim expansion and Christian expansion. Classical Islam is tolerant of certain religious creeds, those which share either an Abrahamic origin or a similar degree of monotheism. Christianity of the Late Classical and Medieval periods, taken as a whole, never expressed this degree of religious toleration.

I also disagree that most Muslim leaders, or ulama for that matter, of the period before the First Crusade had *any* substantial interest in converting the masses of Christians and Jews in conquered regions to Islam. They had certainly never made any serious attempt to convert the hundreds of thousands of Christians and Jews already living under Islamic rule in Syria-Palestine, Egypt, the Yemen, or Greater Iran.
Islam was originally intended to be the religion of the Arabs, alone.
The Samanids did make the fatal blunder, however, of converting a certain Ghuzz tribe to Islam, thinking by doing this they would make friends out of enemies, save the souls of true pagans, and secure their borders forever. This, of course, brought hundreds of thousands of newly welcome but completely unreformed Turkish horseman across the Amu Darya into the heart of sedentary Islamic civilization!!!

The population of Jerusalem, when it was sacked by the Franks during the First Crusade, included thousands of Christians and Jews who were massacred right alongside their Muslim neighbors.

Other than a re-opening of trade routes (which actually had a hell of a lot more to do with the creation of stable Turkish kingdoms from 1050 onwards than it did with the Crusades), I can't really think of a whole lot of good that the Crusaders did for the regions they invaded. Some individuals, I know, acted with the best of intentions (however bigoted *I* might perceive them to be, from my personal perspective) and with honorable deeds. Certainly, if the Franks had really wanted to protect Western Christendom from the dangers of the Islamic East, it would have better to shore up existing defenses in eastern Anatolia and Cilicia against further Seljuk (and other Ghuzz tribes) migration and "Turkification", rather than trying to regain the holy land. Tribe after tribe of migrating Ghuzz were converting to Islam and seeking service in Islamic states for very real political and economic gains. The Romans had borne the brunt of Turkish (Turko-Mongol) invasions since the 5th century, protecting the rest of Europe against steppe tribes migrating both across Anatolia and through Pontus. Constantinople was the capital of the Christian World, and in many ways the greatest city west of China. Until Manzikert, there is no question that Rome was the greatest Christian power in the world. The Frankish kingdoms simply didn't have the wealth, the immense resources, or the manpower to do what the Romans had been doing for 600 years . . .

Sigh . . I love history, but it is awfully depressing sometimes.

Anyway, gentleman and ladies (are there any ladies involved with this thread?), I bid you all good night. Again, thanks for all your insights. The membership on this site is truly outstanding.

Well, on the first point that's why I chose to use the term "Islamic peoples" over the term "Arabs", as Islam ultimately began to transcend racial boundaries and become a force unto itself. In my mind, it really doesn't matter which racial group was at the head of this force, as by and large they became absorbed into it despite their own modifications to the system. I'm talking about culture here, not just political institutions of power.

Now, I think it's important to stress that even if the Muslim leadership didn't see it as a goal to 'force' conversion, there was certainly that effect under Muslim rule. The conditions established, from jizya, to an obvious sense of being an "outsider", to a variety of other things could promote a mentality that it's better to convert than it is not to. For example, Christians were largely forced to keep their religion extremely private and amongst other Christians as they were banned from preaching, and from speaking out against the "truths" of Islam. While these would of course only affect people who were brave enough(Or stupid enough, your choice) to stick to the evangelical guns of Christianity, it also means that conversion of people to Christianity would remain somewhat minimal. On the other hand, there are obvious benefits to conversion to Islam, meaning that at worst, Christian populations dwindle from generation to generation, while at best they remain static. Either way, it leads to a situation where the populations of Christians and Jews become increasingly marginalized in an increasingly Islamic society.

Dominant cultures also slowly subvert people who may otherwise seem to be "different" through a variety of means. For instance, if I live in a society where trade is conducted in a certain language, and I have to trade with them, I'm definitely going to be forced by circumstance to learn this language. When you learn a language however, all sorts of other things, like thought patterns and such seep in as well. Good examples of this I think are the Franks in France, and Normans in Normandy who, though culturally distinct themselves, largely merge with the local cultures despite their supposedly "superior" position. A more directly related situation is in that even though there weren't overt acts against Jews for quite some time, Ashkenazim were largely indistinguishable from "Germans" by the year 1900.

Naturally, this would mean that even though the stated goals of Muslim leaders wasn't conversion, it was most certainly accepted, and by necessity encouraged with a less than soft hand. Now I think the question here is, if the outcome of Christian or Muslim rule is the same, with a subordination and absorption of the conquered peoples, then what's the difference? Does the fact that the Muslims didn't directly force conversion make it better even though they created conditions where marginalization and cultural diffusion encourage conversion anyway? Or does this mean that the Christians were simply more "honest" with themselves? I'm not really sure which, but all in all I don't think that it's quite so easy to say that because the Muslim leaders weren't out to force conversion, that you wouldn't see such a thing in a Muslim dominated society.

I also think that there's a mistake in thinking that the Islamic attitudes towards other peoples were as tolerant as many people would like to say today. While there was a surprising amount, there was a definite social stratification against Jewish and Christian populations(Not just in the form of the jizya, mind you). As stated before, Christians were not permitted to preach to others, so they were essentially forced to keep the 'religion to themselves'. The inverse quality of Christians seeing obvious benefits to conversion is doubtlessly important as well. From what I've seen, a negative culture towards Christianity eventually forms, particularly after the advance into Europe through Spain meets stiff resistance and eventually starts declining. As well, it seems that the level of toleration was very much reliant upon the 'whims' of the local rulers at the time, with varying levels of tolerance from one area to another(Much like in Europe, actually).

I definitely think it's important to stress that the Islamic nations aren't free from massacres in and of themselves, though they might be rare. For instance, in 1066, the Jewish population of Granada were massacred as a reaction to a Jewish man ascending to public office. But then again, this could largely be that the region of Cordoba was influenced by a largely different "group"(Berbers, in this case) than the "root" of Islam, the Arabs. However, this also leaves room to argue that the Muslims were tolerant, and merciful so long as you followed the rules they set down, and were willing to come down with fire, steel, and all sorts of cruel tools to show their displeasure. I'm a little anxious of using this source, but there's a certain passage written in "The Templars" by Piers Paul Read which I think helps demonstrate one of two things.

Quote:
Gibbon records how in southern Italy 'it was the amusement of the Saracens to profane, as well as to pillage, the monasteries and churches'; and how, at the siege of Salerno, 'a Musulman chief spread his couch at the communion table and on the altar sacrificed each night the virginity of a Christian nun'.

The first thing this could show, is that there was definite animosity between Muslims and Christians, and obvious aggression on a religious level from Muslim to Christian. This shows that at some level there is a negative consideration for Christians, and the Christian faith in at least the Muslims involved with this event. The second is that if this is simply "Christian propaganda", that there was at least the perception that the Muslims acted like this towards Christians, adding in more bad taste for Islam among the Christians which is reinforced by several hundred years of raids, and outright invasions. I'll take about this more a little later.

Also, I'd like to ask whether this tolerance within the Islamic culture was a virtue borne of enlightened thought, or out of necessity. After all, the regions in which Islam developed were ethnically, religiously and culturally diverse, so in order for Islam to actually make anything of itself it had to adapt to this reality. Meanwhile, Christianity largely develops from something of a homogeneous environment, where the primary conflict between the potential "creators" of Christianity, the "Essenes" was with other Jews, but not necessarily people from different ethnic groups or even religions. From there, it still remains relatively isolated because after the Jewish War it transmits along the communities of Hellenized Jews, where it still isn't necessarily concerned with 'competing' with other ideologies. The only competition is from the far less "spiritual", and more "patriotic" religion of Rome.

It's also important to note that at times there was a concentrated effort on using force to crush Christians, I think there's something going on that's similar to the theorized "trauma" of the Jewish War and Diaspora on the Jewish community. Even today Christianity has something of a "Persecution" complex going on, and this very well could explain an antagonism towards other religions, especially if they've clearly demonstrated aggressive tendencies towards you. It's important to note here that we shouldn't engage in any "presentism", especially with our (supposedly) superior knowledge of the times. What the Christians around the time of the Crusades perceived is quite likely far different from what was actually going on, and the same goes for the Muslims at that same time. Remember, at the time of the Crusades Christianity, Christian lands, and Christendom had all been under attack by Jews, Romans, Muslims, Vikings, Magyars, and Huns, for over a thousand years. I could be wrong, but from what I understand Islam spent a much shorter time on the defensive before going on the offensive, and being able to more appropriately deal with these sorts of stressors.

Christian,

I have to agree with your assessment in that the Islamic powers probably could not have overwhelmed all of Europe, though I do think there's something to the argument that the Crusades put the Muslims on the defensive, preventing them from maintaining support to other "fronts". Not to mention the ascendancy of Venice and Genoa immediately after the Crusades, offered a strong competitor to the admittedly potent naval capabilities of the Arabs, and later Turks. Both of these states would be important in Iberia as well, as the wars between the Christian kingdoms and the Caliphate of Cordoba were largely based upon low level chevauchee, and hence "resource" wars to a certain extent. I do believe that these combinations could possibly have granted dominance of the Mediterranean to Islamic powers instead of European ones. Of course, because this is an "alternative history" question, we can't draw any real conclusions. Though I suppose a single hypothesis out of many could be that Christianity, and "European" civilization as we know it declines, and draws its borders further north, perhaps to around Germany, Scandinavia and England while Spain, Italy, and perhaps southern France become increasingly influenced and perhaps, maybe, potentially overwhelmed.
John Cooksey

PostPosted: Tue 09 Sep, 2008 5:54 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

These are getting too long to reply to in detail, sadly.

I do, however, think that all of us involved in this thread, myself included, have been making too many generalizations. We are talking about vastly different regions and time periods, ranging from the mid-7th century to the 17th century, from the Levant to Iberia. I know that the original question was directly addressed to differences between the Iberian Reconquista and the Crusades to "retake" the Holy Land, but I am not sure that we can adequately address these differences given our constraints.
Several of us obviously have strong feelings and well-developed thoughts on a great many issues---I know that I certainly do!
Each one of us has sources to cite and evidence to bring to the table to support our arguments, and that is good . . it's the very essence of academic discourse.

Obviously both the Reconquista and the Crusades occurred over a great many years (centuries). The individuals and groups involved had their own agendas and their own reasons for participating, just as did the Umayyads and the Almohads and the Abbasids and the Seljuks when they launched wars against foreign territories. . . . .
Some were religious, some were political, and some were economic. Some might have even been very personal and impossible to pigeonhole.

We can only speculate, now, about the "what-ifs" and the "what-might-have-beens" if this conquest had succeeded or that crusade had failed . . we can't know.

I do believe that the "geopolitics" of any region and era are vastly more complicated than we are stating here. Both Iberia and Syria-Palestine were regions where Christians of various sects, Muslims of all stripes, and Jews of every sort (plus the odd pagan, Zoroastrian, et al.) cohabited for centuries. Living, trading, fighting, intermarrying. There were shifting alliances between groups, betrayals and conspiracies, terrible massacres and all too human acts of charity and good will.

In Spain, certainly, both the period of Islamic control and the Reconquista had vast effects on the historical development of Iberian culture as a whole, creating the vast and beautiful tapestry that is modern Latin culture. If neither had happened, Iberian culture wouldn't resemble what we know at all.
A similar situation holds true everywhere that vastly different (and sometimes not so different) cultures meet and come into conflict.

On a personal note, however, I will always believe that Classical Islam was a more tolerant religion that medieval Christianity, based on my reading of the sources. I will believe that Islam and Christianity have a great deal more in common than they do in difference, and that there were a great many reasons why both faiths appealed to various groups over time--and why they were easily used as a tool for the furtherance of personal political gain or ambitions.

I am certainly neither Christian nor Muslim, and I consider myself neither an apologist nor burdened by some sort of media-induced guilt.
We can all read the same books and examine the same sources: being individuals, however, we will all come up with diverse individual perspectives based on the same raw information.

I hope the thread keeps going, and I'll check back in a bit!

Benjamin H. Abbott

PostPosted: Tue 09 Sep, 2008 6:56 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Quote:
But what are you referring to, the Andalusian myth of a pacific under enlightened foreign conquerors, is a modern myth that has very modern implications that go well beyond the scopes of this forum.

That's roughly my opinion of the idea that the Crusades saved Western civilization.

Quote:
Britain has been successfully invaded by Romans, Saxons, Vikings, and Normans.

Indeed. However, it hasn't been successfully invaded since 1066. Note that this predates the First Crusade. The Anglo-Normans and their descendants would have any invading force serious trouble.

Quote:
Given that British relations with the U.S. were cold right up until WWI, I don't think think they would have been supported by sea.

Wait, are you suggesting that a lack of Crusades would have lead to some Islamic empire (the Ottomans?) conquering Britain after 1776? That's hundreds of years of extrapolation. (Would the United States even exist in this alternate reality?)

Quote:
Tell that to the people who lived in Vienna in 1529 and 1683.

If I had the chance, I'd be more interested in learning about their martial arts. Sorry.

Quote:
When I look at the cultures, the values, and govenments of the Middle East I am very thankful for the men who defended Europe.

Ha. That's a product of modern times, specifically later European imperialism. You saw no such disparities in education, technology, or economic power during the Crusades. The two cultures resembled one another closely. If anything, though, the Franks were the barbarians.

Quote:
I also think that there's a mistake in thinking that the Islamic attitudes towards other peoples were as tolerant as many people would like to say today.

Possibly. I think it would be wildly inaccurate to describe either historical Christian or Muslims as tolerant. Both oppressed and massacred outsiders. Muslims might have been more tolerant to Christian than vice versa. No great slaughters of Christians by Muslims spring immediately to mind. Both groups treated peoples beyond the Abrahamic tradition the worst. Consider the Spanish in the New World and the Arabs in India.
Joshua Connolly

PostPosted: Tue 09 Sep, 2008 7:09 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Possibly. I think it would be wildly inaccurate to describe either historical Christian or Muslims as tolerant. Both oppressed and massacred outsiders. Muslims might have been more tolerant to Christian than vice versa. No great slaughters of Christians by Muslims spring immediately to mind. Both groups treated peoples beyond the Abrahamic tradition the worst. Consider the Spanish in the New World and the Arabs in India.

I think part of that, and I admit I need to read into it more to get specific numbers, is that the Muslims tended to prefer to taking slaves over killing people.

Also, I agree that you can't consider either Christians or Muslims at this time as being tolerant. At least not in the fashion that we think of today. There probably are examples of great tolerance on both sides at various times, though. Though I'm not so sure that the Spanish in the New World are really analogous to the Arabs in India.
Benjamin H. Abbott

PostPosted: Tue 09 Sep, 2008 7:25 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Quote:
There probably are examples of great tolerance on both sides at various times, though.

Absolutely. Medieval Muslim and Christian seem to have been about like anyone else. Some kind, some cruel, some peaceful, some bloodthirsty. It depended on the exact circumstances, structures, and individuals in question, not group affiliation.

Quote:
Though I'm not so sure that the Spanish in the New World are really analogous to the Arabs in India.

Well, I'm unsure how violent the Islamic conquest of India actually was. I've heard various things. It's not a strong area of interest for me. I'm more certain the Spanish were ruthless and sanguinary in the Americas. I do think the religious differences increased this. To be fair, though, both Christians and Muslims happily massacred opposing and deviant members of their own religion.
Joshua Connolly

PostPosted: Tue 09 Sep, 2008 7:34 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Absolutely. Medieval Muslim and Christian seem to have been about like anyone else. Some kind, some cruel, some peaceful, some bloodthirsty. It depended on the exact circumstances, structures, and individuals in question, not group affiliation.

Well, I'm unsure how violent the Islamic conquest of India actually was. I've heard various things. It's not a strong area of interest for me. I'm more certain the Spanish were ruthless and sanguinary in the Americas. I do think the religious differences increased this. To be fair, though, both Christians and Muslims happily massacred opposing and deviant members of their own religion.

Well, the reason I say that they're not totally analogous is that the vast majority of deaths in the New World caused by the Spanish were really due to disease, which I'm not really sure you can 'blame' them for. Likewise, it's possible to argue that the situation with the Spanish was better than the central Americans were dealing with prior, what with the Aztecs doing a number of things which 'supposedly' horrified the Spanish when they arrived. On the other hand, the vast majority of deaths in India were directly caused by the Muslim attempts at converting the Hindus. I'm not so aware of any arguable subsequent increase in conditions either. There might very well be something like that here as well.

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Reconquest of Spain compared to the Crusades
Page 2 of 3 Reply to topic
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: